PDA

View Full Version : Harris in Montana

Montucky
10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
A harris was seen in NW Montana a few days ago. No anklets or jesses....anyone know of a possible falconry connection?

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff375/goshawk2/66235_474231372617393_1774568599_n.jpg

skooky20
10-20-2012, 04:23 PM
it doesn't look like it has a band on in the photo

Montucky
10-20-2012, 06:04 PM
nope, no band...no anklets...

it would be an unlikely wild vagrant 60 miles from the Canadian border - but I actually think it just may be in this case....its been a weird summer.

Dale Liner
10-24-2012, 12:06 PM
It could be an escaped bird that had the little black cable tie band on it and it's been my experience that most of the wild caught birds that I've put those bands on just pull them off.... but if it was up there in Montana it would seem that it would be dead after a cold winter, its very odd for sure!!!

Dale Liner
Chattanooga Tn

Dirthawking
10-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Either way somebody should try and trap it.

Ally
10-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Not many folks fly harris' up here, and the only ones i know of are captive bred. That is bizarre!!

wyodjm
10-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Several years ago, there was a Harris' hawk spotted in Riverton, Wyoming. About the same time of year as this sighting. It was reported by some birders who saw it hanging out by a bird feeder in someone's backyard. I saw pictures of it. As I recall, it was considered a wild hawk. I never heard what happened to it. A very unusual sighting.

Flintknapper
10-28-2012, 10:10 AM
I doubt is is a captive breed bird that has escaped or we would be hearing something on one of the forums somewhere.
This summer has been a lot warmer than most for years and the air currents have been some what disturbed. It is a good possibility it did move that far north. The only problem I have with that theory is the bird is by itself which is not normal.

Ally
10-28-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm not super familiar with Harris Hawks because we don't see a lot of them up here, but that one looks to be an adult, am I correct? Huh, in Riverton, really?? I'm from Evanston originally....i could see a harris hanging out if it were warm!

Flatwater Falconer
11-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Either way somebody should try and trap it.

If he's got eleven tail feathers, I'm coming to claim him. Lost mine by Grand Island, Neb about four years ago. Still bummed about it. He always only had eleven tail feathers.

Our G&P posted a photo and short paragraph about a lady who found a HH carcass and took two photos for proof. I wondered about that bird too. It is a recent article from this year I think.

So yes there are HHs floating around where they aren't 'supposed' to be.