PDA

View Full Version : New Bird

chris kimble
01-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Its a little late in the year, but I got the bug and started looking for a passage redtail to finish out the season with. I wanted a female, but unfortunately I wasnt even able to be that picky! I spent countless hours and miles looking in vain, in typically redtail filled areas [smilie=eusa_think.gif]

I finally called on the help of a friend, whos been seeing a lot of passage birds in his area, and the end result was me coming home with this beast today! She was 53.5 ounces hooded and socked [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] I think I can live with that!

Shes a little rough around the edges, but if shes survived this long I guess thats understandable. Here are some pics. Shes not to photogenic (But I'll get some better ones later) and I just got back from a half day road trip after working a night shift so I look (and feel) like hell!

Gotta go get some real anklets on her and start making a custom hood!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/chrisbird2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/chrisbird.jpg
And in case anyone ever noticed,,,,yes I do were the same clothes everyday [smilie=dontknow.gif] JK

`Chris L.
01-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Nice looking bird man.. Shes a big bird. She about swallows your hand up in those talons [smilie=yikes.gif] . Looks like shes been playin in the dirt a little.. gotta love that

keep us posted on her progress. Good luck

everetkhorton
01-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Chris:
Nice looking bird, big. How much longer is our hunting season.
Ev. MI.

chris kimble
01-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys. yeah shes been playin in dirt and blood both! I dont recall ever taking such a late bird. I almost always trap mine in sept. so she should be a fun experience for me. I've had company since I got home, but I did manage to spend a little time with her this evening with the hood off. She did pretty well, and took the hood nicely. Gonna put in a couple more hours with her then I have to get some sleep so I can function tomorrow [smilie=sleepy2.gif]

Everet, our rabbit season is year round (two a day outside the regular season) but our squirrel season will be over before shes in the field. I normaly hawk until I kill a rabbit full of babies...then I just stop for the year. Not much else to hawk around here but CT's and fox Squirrel. I can get into some Jacks if I drive aways, but I dont care much for Jack hawking.

everetkhorton
01-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Chris K.
You will need all 53.5 oz. for taking those Fox Squirrels.
Ev. Michigan

wesleyc6
01-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Hey Chris,
Congrats on the fine bird!!!! You will never guess who I dined with this weekend in GA! Todd S. He told me his name, and I asked if he knew you and told him I was the guy that Hera was possibly going to that time. He is SUPER nice. He had a Gos and Gyr/Merlin that I tried to talk him out of [smilie=BangHead.gif]

chris kimble
01-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Hey Wes, thats cool that you finally got to meet Todd. Hes a good guy. Was the merlin hybrid one of the black ones that Ertsgaard produced?

Thought I'd post a quick update of the un-named bird. Shes not loosing much weight yet, but she did eat a few bites last night. I've been hauling her around with me everywhere, so shes already had a lot of exposure. She should be well manned by the time she's in the field. After many failed attempts, I finally produced a hood that fits her relatively well. Its just a little big but I'm starting on another one that should fit better. Shes pretty rough on her hoods! Here's a pic of the one I made last night.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/hood1.jpg

Jimmy
01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Nice hood, Chris.
Modeled after a dragonhood?

chris kimble
01-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Basically it is Jimmy. I've never actually seen a Dragon hood in person, but I know they must be similar in design. I have three very similar yet very different patterns that I've gathered here and there over the years. This pattern, so far is my favorite. untill last week, I'd never sewn a hood. I made one for a friends Ferrug. and I liked it....its been addictive since then.....cant quit making them [smilie=dontknow.gif] I have a few alterations in mind that I've been wanting to try (and most likely will on the next hood). I'll post pics of the construction if anyone is interested.

Chris

Jimmy
01-16-2007, 05:02 PM
I'd be interested in the pattern, if you'd be willing to share it.

`Chris L.
01-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Wow .. great looking hood Chris.. love the tribal on it.. very nice work for your first hoods [smilie=icon_pray.gif] . I cant sew a damn hood to save my life.. if you post the instructions and patterns i will make it a sticky...

great job..

wesleyc6
01-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Hey Chris,

Yes, I instantly liked Todd. Very smart guy too it would seem and his experience in falconry is pretty vast! His falcon was gorgeous, but it wasn't a black. It was from Danny though.

chris kimble
01-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Wes, if you see him again, tell him hello for me.

Chris, all, I have given this some thought. While Im very much for the sharing of information, the similarities to the pattern I have and the hoods made by Brian are far to similar for my comfort. I have no idea where the pattern I have originated, or how many hands it passed through before I got it. But out of fairness, I wont post it until I have talked to Brian.

Truth be told I never really gave it much thought until now, I've always had an interest in making things, and thus have always collected patterns for things when Im able. I always knew the hoods were similar to the Dragon Hoods, but I just didnt think much of it. Hope Im not dissapointing anyone, but I have to live my conscience.

wesleyc6
01-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Will do buddy!

Nice to see people living out their conscience and I am sure Brian will appreciate that thought greatly!

`Chris L.
01-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Chris K,
no worries man, i understand completly.. what ever you feel comfortable with.. no matter whos design it is, it looks great.

chris kimble
01-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Fellas, Yall owe me a coke or something....I've been breakin my neck all day trying to hunt down the source of this pattern! And I finally found the guy who created it. Theres actually an interesting history to the pattern, that was made by Lance Morrow.

Anyway, I will try to put something together... a bit of a picture guided how-to about how I use the pattern. Keep in mind though, that I am a simple man with simple ideas! My way is not always the best, and I have limited experience with hood making. Whatever I come up with, I welcome anyone to offer suggestions on.

`Chris L.
01-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Chris, what ever you want to do is good for us I am sure. We all like it simple...
[smilie=icon_thumright.gif]
I will make it a sticky so your hard works does not go unnoticed

Lee Slikkers
01-18-2007, 07:45 AM
Fellas, Yall owe me a coke or something....I've been breakin my neck all day trying to hunt down the source of this pattern! And I finally found the guy who created it. Theres actually an interesting history to the pattern, that was made by Lance Morrow.

Anyway, I will try to put something together... a bit of a picture guided how-to about how I use the pattern. Keep in mind though, that I am a simple man with simple ideas! My way is not always the best, and I have limited experience with hood making. Whatever I come up with, I welcome anyone to offer suggestions on.

I'll mail ya a coke Chris [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] thanks for the ffort on the hood thing. I'd love to see the demo/pattern as well. I dabble in hood making, just made a decent fitting one for my tHH that seems to do the job well...

Lee