PDA

View Full Version : There Will Be Blood

Ron Clarke
10-24-2012, 03:39 PM
And not just rabbit blood on the grass...

We're trying something new this year to thank our NAFA Meet host community. Sure, we bring a lot of money and commercial traffic to town, but we'll leave something money can't buy in our wake this year -- blood! Through the cooperation of the American Red Cross Kearney chapter and the Holiday Inn, we'll have a blood donation center set up in the Meet hotel on Monday, 19 November from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM. Several hotel employees have already expressed interest in donating blood for our drive.

If you can't make it to the official NAFA blood drive but still want to donate, the Kearney Red Cross draws blood weekdays. Their center is at 520 West 48th Street. Hours are Monday, 12:00 to 6:00 PM, Tuesday, 7:00 AM to 1:00 PM, and Friday, 7:00 AM to 1:00 PM. If you go to the Red Cross center, make sure you tell them you're donating for the NAFA drive.

Our goal is 40 units of blood. If you're a regular donor and want to keep up with your usual donation schedule while in Nebraska, great! If you've never donated before and want to give it a try in Kearney, join us!

Prizes? Yup. We'll have a special donors-only prize drawing at the end-of-Meet banquet.

One unit of blood can save three lives. Let's roll up our sleeves!

echotadog
10-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Wow ! Great Idea and social awareness , Bravo to the organizer and the donators .

Roper
10-24-2012, 05:30 PM
grate Idea Ron no surprise there .. will they take rabbit blood ? :)

HawkEye
10-24-2012, 06:51 PM
fantastic idea. kudos to all involved.
I'd be first in line, but I'm a turnip.
So instead of wasting a needle and supplies on my pitiful veins, I'll donate treats to the donors or... any other suggestions?

Chris L.
10-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Thats awesome Ron, What a great idea! I am sure you will easily reach the 40 units. Count me in for one

Dirthawking
10-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Thats awesome Ron, What a great idea! I am sure you will easily reach the 40 units. Count me in for one

Wuss! Go for two! No guts no glorry right! Go big or go home!

Dirthawking
10-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Does anybody know where to find the restrictions on giving? I have never given but have not been able to due to tattoos/meds.

Tasha55403
10-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Sweet! I'm in :) Here ya go Mario :)
http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/first-time-donors

Lowachi
10-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Does anybody know where to find the restrictions on giving? I have never given but have not been able to due to tattoos/meds.

I'll get back to ya

Puy me dowm for a pint of O negative:D

Ron Clarke
10-25-2012, 11:47 AM
grate Idea Ron no surprise there .. will they take rabbit blood ? :)

Probably not, but just wait 'til you see our posters -- RTH blood donors!

Ron Clarke
10-25-2012, 11:53 AM
fantastic idea. kudos to all involved.
I'd be first in line, but I'm a turnip.
So instead of wasting a needle and supplies on my pitiful veins, I'll donate treats to the donors or... any other suggestions?

Thanks, Helen. I fully understand the turnip syndrome. There are a million valid reasons why people can't donate, and the restrictions get tighter all the time.

I'd be happy to have your help in another way. I'm putting together an array of prizes for a drawing limited to everyone who presents to donate (i.e., if you show up and roll up your sleeve but for some reason can't successfully donate, you're still in the drawing) -- if you can scare up an item for the drawing, that'd be cool. We'll need a handful of volunteers to help set up and take down the gear for the room; more on that later. Post-donation snacks are always welcome, too. Whatever you can do would be much appreciated.

Ron Clarke
10-25-2012, 11:56 AM

Excellent! Thanks much. We'll soon have an appointment sheet to circulate so you can get in and out on a relatively predictable schedule. It always seems to take a little longer than anticipated, but it goes pretty fast overall. We don't want to impinge too much on people's hawking time!

Ron Clarke
10-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Wuss! Go for two! No guts no glorry right! Go big or go home!

Good thought. I'll find out if we'll have the capacity to do apheresis on site -- you can give a unit of blood and a unit of plasma that way (they won't let you unload two units of whole blood). That of course, necessitates devoted fluid replacement therapy afterward. The Red Cross usually recommends avoiding alcohol, but, well...

Ron Clarke
10-25-2012, 12:12 PM

I'll find out and pass that information along. Piercings and tattoos are often not a problem, depending on where you have them done. A clean and licensed facility is typically less a problem than if someone gets tattooed by his or her friends at the county jail using a ballpoint pen and cigarette ash.

As I said earlier, there are lots of legitimate reasons people can't donate. Some meds are OK, others aren't. Cancer patients are usually off the list for 5 or more years. People who have had malaria are off the list forever, at least the last time I checked. Blood pressure too high or too low at the time of donation can prevent a draw. So -- it'll be tempting to unleash good-natured ribbing at unsuccessful donors, especially with a rowdy bunch such as ours, but I hope folks will refrain. You just never know why a donation doesn't work on any given day. We'll give kudos to everyone who shows up willing to try!

Tasha55403
10-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Here's the Red Cross's page with Eligibility Requirements by Topic...
http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-topic

Ron Clarke
10-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Sweet! I'm in :) Here ya go Mario :)
http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/first-time-donors

Thanks, Tasha. Good on ya!

And thanks for the link to overall donation information. There's a lot there -- if you don't want to sift through all that, here's the direct link to Red Cross eligibility requirements, including tattoos, piercings, and meds: http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-topic

Ron Clarke
10-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I'll get back to ya

You're on, brudda. Good on ya! Meet you afterward for fluid replacement therapy.

Ron Clarke
10-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Here's the Red Cross's page with Eligibility Requirements by Topic...
http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-topic

You are SO all over this one. Thanks!

Goshawk635
10-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Bravo Ron! If I don't make it this year I will give one in NAFAs Honor here locally! Love it. Great work all!

COMEAUX
10-25-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm in! I needed 23 units :eek: back in 95 when some one ran me off the road on my motorcycle frus) Got staff in my leg... alot of trips to the O.R. yeah,beer and orange juice after beeer

Ron Clarke
10-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Bravo Ron! If I don't make it this year I will give one in NAFAs Honor here locally! Love it. Great work all!

Thanks, Phil. Hope to see you in Kearney.

Ron Clarke
10-25-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm in! I needed 23 units :eek: back in 95 when some one ran me off the road on my motorcycle frus) Got staff in my leg... alot of trips to the O.R. yeah,beer and orange juice after beeer

Excellent. Nobody understands the need for blood like someone who's had to use some in the past, eh? Good on ya, brudda. First round of fluid replacement is on me.

Ally
10-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Awesome idea, and way to give back! Falconers...we take blood and give it :D

On Rich's note...Count me in for a unit of A Negative!

Tasha55403
10-25-2012, 01:06 PM
You are SO all over this one. Thanks!

You're welcome and thank YOU for setting this up :) I like to make a difference and there's no question about where the blood goes, unlike money donated to wherever :)

Lowachi
10-25-2012, 01:20 PM
I'll get back to ya

Like Comeaux, haillI owe a few yet from the Harley highside I took to avoid a Ford POS 20 years ago.

Ron Clarke
10-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Awesome idea, and way to give back! Falconers...we take blood and give it :D

On Rich's note...Count me in for a unit of A Negative!

Great, Ally! Thank you. See you in Kearney.

Ron Clarke
10-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Like Comeaux, haillI owe a few yet from the Harley highside I took to avoid a Ford POS 20 years ago.

As with Mr. Coon Ass Shrimp Boil hisself, I'm glad however many units of blood you needed did the trick. Good to have you boys still with us! It'll be an honor to roll up my sleeve with you all.

One more possible reason to donate: I'm not sure if they still do what used to be called the Blood Assurance Program, but when I first started donating, a pint a year guaranteed you and all your family members access to however many units of blood they might require for that year. Can't beat that! I'll find out if that program is still in place.

everetkhorton
10-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Great idea Ron. Sorry but I can give blood anymore but I would if I could.
I almost made it to two gal. but fell short.
Ev.

Dirthawking
10-30-2012, 10:34 AM
I have never been able to donate before, but it looks like I can now. I PLAN on donating so I will also help to make sure we get more then the 40. Even if we have to hold birds hostage at the weathering yard! Kidding about the birds being held hostage. Or am I.......

Chad L.
10-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Still unsure if i'm making it to the meet or not but i'll keep up my local donation of O- here in Denver if I don't. If I do make it, the vampires in Kearney can have it that week.

My life was saved through many a blood transfusion back in 2001 so I really appreciate what you've put together here. Good on ya ,Ron!

To anyone that hasn't given before, or MAY be afraid of needles etc I can assure that it really isn't all that bad and the benefit that you pass on to your fellow man or woman is certainly worth a small amount of discomfort.

Tasha55403
10-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Ha! If a little 5 ft tall girl like ME can do it, what are the rest of y'all afraid of?:eek:toungeout:D

Chad L.
10-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Ha! If a little 5 ft tall girl like ME can do it, what are the rest of y'all afraid of?:eek:toungeout:D

EXACTLY!

Chad L.
10-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Ron,

for those of us that may not be able to make it the meet but still want to participate locally, but on this events behalf, is there a sponsor code that we can use for this event so your drive gets the credits for units donated?

JRedig
10-30-2012, 01:57 PM

5 foot little girls like you come to mind...toungeout :D

Tasha55403
10-30-2012, 02:31 PM
ROFLMAO...chicken...I am just a sweet, innocent little girl. Nothing scary about me at all!:D

JRedig
10-30-2012, 03:17 PM
ROFLMAO...chicken...I am just a sweet, innocent little girl. Nothing scary about me at all!:D

No, but you've met my wife...;)

colelkhunter
10-30-2012, 03:45 PM
I will surely donate some AB-. In the military we used to get the day off if we donated blood....so yeah, I donated everytime they came a callin. I think I am in the two gallon club or something like that by now...:D

Ron Clarke
10-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Great idea Ron. Sorry but I can give blood anymore but I would if I could.
I almost made it to two gal. but fell short.
Ev.

Thanks, Ev. Even if you can't donate, you can come help us set up and/or take down the donation room on Monday!

Ron Clarke
10-30-2012, 08:43 PM
I have never been able to donate before, but it looks like I can now. I PLAN on donating so I will also help to make sure we get more then the 40. Even if we have to hold birds hostage at the weathering yard! Kidding about the birds being held hostage. Or am I.......

Right on, Mario -- whatever works to get those donors to show. Coercion, bribery, kidnapping, birdnapping, waterboarding -- bring it on!

Seriously, good to have you on board. Thank you.

Ron Clarke
10-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Still unsure if i'm making it to the meet or not but i'll keep up my local donation of O- here in Denver if I don't. If I do make it, the vampires in Kearney can have it that week.

My life was saved through many a blood transfusion back in 2001 so I really appreciate what you've put together here. Good on ya ,Ron!

To anyone that hasn't given before, or MAY be afraid of needles etc I can assure that it really isn't all that bad and the benefit that you pass on to your fellow man or woman is certainly worth a small amount of discomfort.

Good on ya, Chad. Thanks for your (maybe? hopeful? possible?) donation. If you end up in Denver that week, I'll get you the drive code so you can credit NAFA. Thanks for that suggestion -- I'll spread it around when I get the code. Maybe some others who can't make the Meet can donate at home with NAFA.

Ron Clarke
10-30-2012, 08:48 PM
I will surely donate some AB-. In the military we used to get the day off if we donated blood....so yeah, I donated everytime they came a callin. I think I am in the two gallon club or something like that by now...:D

Excellent! Your pint of AB- is most welcome, Brian. We can't give you the day off, but the Red Cross tells me they'll have T-shirts for donors, and there will be a few other goodies thrown in, and you can go hawking with all kinds of good folks afterward -- that's better than a day off!

Good on ya. Thanks.

Ron Clarke
10-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Hi All,

Here's the latest from the Red Cross.

Be a Hero and Donate Blood

American Red Cross heroes come in all shapes and sizes. They don’t wear capes or special suits. Their badge of honor is the band aid that shows they gave the gift of life. Be a hero and answer the call of patients in need by donating blood through the American Red Cross.

Rosemarie Tolson and her husband Joe are both blood donors and schedule their appointments to give together. “We both have very large families and any of them could be in need of blood,” Rosemarie said. “We believe it’s the right thing to do. My husband says it gives him a good feeling knowing that he can help three people with his donation. I believe it’s the least that I can do to help out someone in need.”

Take time to relax and know that you are a hero to others when you donate blood through the Red Cross.

Donating blood is one of the simplest things you can do to help save a patient’s life. For the hour it takes to give blood, there could be a whole community of people thankful for another birthday you have given to their loved one.

Upcoming blood drive:
North American Falconers Association - Holiday Inn, Kearney, NE on Wednesday, November, 19th from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Sponsor Code: 0092820 )

Make an Appointment to Donate Blood
To schedule online, please go to http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donationhere and enter sponsor code (0092820) or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).

In response to Brian's question, I'll find out about donating blood at your home bank and crediting it to the NAFA drive. I suspect you could give them the code number above and that'd take care of it, but let me find out.

FredFogg
10-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Good for you Ron, it is a good cause! But I will have to decline as I have quit giving blood due to the Red Cross discriminating against certain people from giving. Doesn't make any sense because they test every single bag of blood that is donated! Until they stop discriminating, I can't support them. Some might say I didn't need to bring this up but just like we are quick to bring up things that are wrong about PETA and the Humane Society, I think we should bring up what we see wrong with anything that is posted on a falconry forum. Just my opinion folks!

Tasha55403
10-30-2012, 11:40 PM
So...the link didn't work Ron. Neither did the sponsor code...though maybe they just haven't got it in the system yet. And the 19th of November is a Monday, not Wednesday...BUT...hopefully it is Wednesday. Then we can combine it with the Shrimp Boil and people will mind being back at the hotel less:) Although Wednesday is usually the day people are ready to sleep in and recover from several late nights/early mornings anyways, lol.

Chad L.
10-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Good for you Ron, it is a good cause! But I will have to decline as I have quit giving blood due to the Red Cross discriminating against certain people from giving. Doesn't make any sense because they test every single bag of blood that is donated! Until they stop discriminating, I can't support them. Some might say I didn't need to bring this up but just like we are quick to bring up things that are wrong about PETA and the Humane Society, I think we should bring up what we see wrong with anything that is posted on a falconry forum. Just my opinion folks!

They sure don't discriminate against the people that receive the blood when it's needed (god knows if they did they wouldn't have given it to me), and it saved my life, three times over, over a six month period.

Regardless of politics, giving blood is a gift to your fellow human. end story.

JRedig
10-30-2012, 11:48 PM
I don't even know my blood type...and i've had problems donating in the past due to veins collapsing...but i'll give it a go at the meet, a worthy cause.

Tasha55403
10-31-2012, 12:00 AM
I don't even know my blood type...and i've had problems donating in the past due to veins collapsing...but i'll give it a go at the meet, a worthy cause.

Make sure you're well hydrated, if that's possible with the amount of alcohol that's probably going to be in your system, lol. It really does help a lot with that :)

Ron Clarke
11-04-2012, 04:12 PM
So...the link didn't work Ron. Neither did the sponsor code...though maybe they just haven't got it in the system yet. And the 19th of November is a Monday, not Wednesday...BUT...hopefully it is Wednesday. Then we can combine it with the Shrimp Boil and people will mind being back at the hotel less:) Although Wednesday is usually the day people are ready to sleep in and recover from several late nights/early mornings anyways, lol.

Thanks, Tasha. I appreciate the feedback. Try this link: http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation Enter the sponsor code -- 0098280 -- and click on the prompt to make an appointment. It worked for me, but maybe that's because I'm the coordinator?

If it doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll schedule an appointment for you. I'll post a schedule of available donation times and update it from time to time to keep everyone up to speed. There are three availabilities to donate double red cells -- if you're a regular donor, you know what that's about -- at 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00 AM; the other open slots are for donations of whole blood.

P.S.: The NAFA blood drive is indeed Monday the 19th of November.

Ron Clarke
11-04-2012, 04:15 PM

As promised, here's a list of available donation times. I'll keep it updated regularly. If you have any trouble booking an appointment on line, let me know and I will add you to the schedule.

Thanks, all!

Double Red Cell Donation
9:00, 10:00, and 11:00 (1 availability each hour)

Whole Blood Donation
9:00 AM Ron Clarke (2 Available)
9:15 AM (1 Available)
9:30 AM (2 Available)
9:45 AM (2 Available)

10:00 AM (3 Available)
10:15 AM (1 Available)
10:30 AM (2 Available)
10:45 AM (2 Available)

11:00 AM (3 Available)
11:15 AM (1 Available)
11:30 AM (2 Available)
11:45 AM (2 Available)

12:00 Noon (3 Available)
12:15 PM (1 Available)
12:30 PM (2 Available)
12:45 PM (2 Available)

1:00 PM (3 Available)
1:15 PM (1 Available)
1:30 PM (2 Available)
1:45 PM (2 Available)

2:00 PM (3 Available)
2:15 PM (1 Available)
2:30 PM (2 Available)
2:45 PM (2 Available)

Ron Clarke
11-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Let me hasten to point out I will not post your names on this schedule, only that an available slot has been filled. I only put my name on the 9:00 slot to let you know I wouldn't ask you all to do anything I wouldn't do myself!

Ron Clarke
11-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Fred, I have no idea what you're talking about. But if we can allay any suspicions or problems before our drive, I'd like to do that, so do tell. What's your beef?

I do know that in order to keep the blood supply safe, the Red Cross and every other blood bank has to be discriminatory in screening donors and collecting blood. The "filter," as it were, seems to grow tighter every year, but every restriction is grounded in medical reality rather than senseless discrimination. For example, as concerns over bovine spongiform encephalopathy -- "mad cow disease" -- have grown and persist, the Red Cross wants to know about cumulative time spent by prospective donors in UK countries. Too many months over the past few years, and you get bumped out. There are many other things that disqualify donors, too. All the more reason to donate if you can. The universe of eligible donors gets smaller every year!

Ron Clarke
11-04-2012, 04:30 PM
They sure don't discriminate against the people that receive the blood when it's needed (god knows if they did they wouldn't have given it to me), and it saved my life, three times over, over a six month period.

Regardless of politics, giving blood is a gift to your fellow human. end story.

Well said, Chad. Thanks.

Ron Clarke
11-04-2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks, Jeff. See you in Kearney.

Tasha55403
11-04-2012, 06:33 PM
As promised, here's a list of available donation times. I'll keep it updated regularly. If you have any trouble booking an appointment on line, let me know and I will add you to the schedule.

The sponsor code still didn't work for me...could you make me an appointment for 2:30pm? That should give me all morning for hawking :) Natasha Leong. Do you want my blood donor number or do you just need the name for now?

Ron Clarke
11-06-2012, 03:19 PM
The sponsor code still didn't work for me...could you make me an appointment for 2:30pm? That should give me all morning for hawking :) Natasha Leong. Do you want my blood donor number or do you just need the name for now?

Thanks, Tasha. You're on for 2:30!

Ron Clarke
11-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Hi All,

No wonder Tasha had trouble registering. I transposed two numbers in the sponsor code in my earlier message. My apologies! Here's the REAL sponsor code:

Tasha, I'll hold off booking and confirming you from my end -- would you try it again, please?? If donors can book directly online, that'd eliminate a source of error -- ME.

Try it again, gang, go to http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation and enter sponsor code 0092820

Thanks!

Goshawk635
11-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Unpack this for me Fred ... who is discriminated against?

Dirthawking
11-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Unpack this for me Fred ... who is discriminated against?

Homosexual men, not women, is the one group that I see that stand out. Sorry to answer for you Fred, just thought this is what you were refering to.

Tasha55403
11-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Hi All,

No wonder Tasha had trouble registering. I transposed two numbers in the sponsor code in my earlier message. My apologies! Here's the REAL sponsor code:

Tasha, I'll hold off booking and confirming you from my end -- would you try it again, please?? If donors can book directly online, that'd eliminate a source of error -- ME.

Try it again, gang, go to http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation and enter sponsor code 0092820

Thanks!

Pmsl, Ah HA! I knew it wasn't me...I was copy and pasting it in :) It worked like a charm this time :)

Chad L.
11-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Well, Ron. I'm not going to make it to the meet to participate in your drive. My regular Donation day is tomorrow but I donate through Bonfils. I tried to find a Red Cross donation center so I could use your sponsor code but turns out my area isn't served by Red Cross so it looks like my donation of double red 0- is only going to be in spirit for your cause out there.

Just the same, thanks for organizing this. Maybe it will perk the interest of non regular donors to get involved after they see how easy it is and the benefit that comes from blood donation.

Ron Clarke
11-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Pmsl, Ah HA! I knew it wasn't me...I was copy and pasting it in :) It worked like a charm this time :)

Hurray! Thanks, Tasha.

Dirthawking
11-08-2012, 05:49 PM
I have never donated before, and I have looked through the web site for this and find no reason why I can not this time. So, even though I have a fear of needles, I plan to give it a go!

How do you get a donor number? Or do they give that to you when you donate?

Ron Clarke
11-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Well, Ron. I'm not going to make it to the meet to participate in your drive. My regular Donation day is tomorrow but I donate through Bonfils. I tried to find a Red Cross donation center so I could use your sponsor code but turns out my area isn't served by Red Cross so it looks like my donation of double red 0- is only going to be in spirit for your cause out there.

Just the same, thanks for organizing this. Maybe it will perk the interest of non regular donors to get involved after they see how easy it is and the benefit that comes from blood donation.

Thanks for the followup and for continuing to be a blood donor, Chad. For anyone else who was wondering, it turns out donations at other Red Cross facilities can't be credited to this NAFA drive. So give for whomever you prefer and to whomever needs it. Thank you!

Dirthawking
11-08-2012, 05:50 PM
For anyone else who was wondering, it turns out donations at other Red Cross facilities can't be credited to this NAFA drive.

Booooo!!!

Ron Clarke
11-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I have never donated before, and I have looked through the web site for this and find no reason why I can not this time. So, even though I have a fear of needles, I plan to give it a go!

How do you get a donor number? Or do they give that to you when you donate?

Good on ya, brudda! I'm no fan of needles my own self, but it's really not bad at all. Thanks for stepping up.

You'll get a donor number when you give for the first time. Once you're in the Red Cross's system, signing in down the line goes a lot faster. Plus, you can make an appointment at any Red Cross facility and stick to your donor schedule even when you're a long way from home. You'll find people at blood banks are terrific folks. Hope this donation is just the first of many for you.

Thanks!

Ron Clarke
11-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Booooo!!!

Just one more reason to come to the Meet.

Dirthawking
11-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey Ron, are walk ups available? I want to make sure I can get away from the yard at a good time and not have to worry.

Goshawk635
11-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Homosexual men, not women, is the one group that I see that stand out. Sorry to answer for you Fred, just thought this is what you were refering to.

That was my assumption but I prefer transparency rather than assumptions. Thanks for clarifying.

Tasha55403
11-09-2012, 01:26 AM

Don't forget the hookers and the drug addicts...they can't donate either ;)

FredFogg
11-09-2012, 02:07 AM
Don't forget the hookers and the drug addicts...they can't donate either ;)

Hey, quit talking about me! LOL :eek: :D

Tasha55403
11-09-2012, 02:51 AM
Hey, quit talking about me! LOL :eek: :D

ROFLMAO

Ron Clarke
11-14-2012, 03:53 AM
Hey Ron, are walk ups available? I want to make sure I can get away from the yard at a good time and not have to worry.

Hi Mario,

Yes, walk-ins are possible when slots haven't been reserved ahead of time. The Red Cross prefers donors to make appointments if at all possible, but will take walk-ins as they can.

thanks,

Ron

Ron Clarke
11-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Here is the latest schedule of donation availabilities. So far, we have as many locals signed up as we do falconers. Please take a moment to make an appointment by visiting http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation and enter sponsor code 0092820

Here are the appointments still available:

Double Red Cell Donation

9:00 available
10:00 available
11:00 filled

Whole Blood Donation

9:00 AM One slot filled, (2 Available)
9:15 AM (1 Available)
9:30 AM (2 Available)
9:45 AM (2 Available)

10:00 AM (3 Available)
10:15 AM (1 Available)
10:30 AM (2 Available)
10:45 AM (2 Available)

11:00 AM (3 Available)
11:15 AM (1 Available)
11:30 AM one slot filled, (1 Available)
11:45 AM (2 Available)

12:00 Noon (3 Available)
12:15 PM (1 Available)
12:30 PM (2 Available)
12:45 PM (2 Available)

1:00 PM (3 Available)
1:15 PM (1 Available)
1:30 PM (2 Available)
1:45 PM (2 Available)

2:00 PM (3 Available)
2:15 PM (1 Available)
2:30 PM One slot filled, (1 Available)
2:45 PM (2 Available)

We also need a few volunteers to help set up and help tear down. If you are unable or unwilling to donate blood, you can still help out by lending a hand with the logistics of getting all the gear in place and putting it all away afterward. Let me know if you can spare some time either Monday morning or Monday afternoon.

Thank you!

Ron Clarke
11-14-2012, 12:32 PM
All 9:00 slots are now taken.

The Kearney Holiday Inn has sixteen employees ready to donate. SIXTEEN! That's terrific. If we falconers can equal or better that response, we'll reach our goal with no problems.

Thanks, all!

Ron Clarke
11-16-2012, 06:46 PM
One last shout-out before the weekend. If you intend to donate blood on Monday, please make an appointment online by visiting http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation and entering sponsor code 0092820

We'll be able to accommodate walk-ins, but maybe not on your schedule, so you're better off making an appointment. Do it today!

If you'd like to help but can't or don't want to give blood, we still need help setting up and taking down the donor center, along with help with registration during the day. PM, e-mail, or call me and I'll be happy to put you to work!

Thanks!

Ron Clarke
11-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Hi All,

The Kearney Chapter of the American Red Cross collected 32 units of blood at our first ever NAFA blood drive. Thanks, everyone! It was terrifically gratifying to watch a steady stream of falconers troop in the door and give of themselves so willingly. That amount of blood has the potential to save nearly 100 lives. Good work!

Ron

Goshawk635
11-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Awesome work Ron!

Local Red Cross couldn't attach my donation to your sponsor code (some regional accounting issue) ... so in spirit my donation is added to your effort another unit of AB positive.

Great job to you all!!!

Ron Clarke
12-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Good on ya, Phil. Thanks. We'll try it again next year. Maybe with a little more advance notice, we'll collect a bunch more.