PDA

View Full Version : An introductory hello

dbleyepatches
11-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Just a quick message to introduce myself and say hello. I became interested in falconry as a young child when an employee of my dads showed us his Gyr/Peregrine cross that he was flying in the mid 1980's. Since then I have had a great respect and fascination with falconry.

For the last 10 years I have been casually collecting books and reading when I could. I considered becoming an apprentice many times but my life situation would have made it unfair to my young family and the bird so I was not willing to make that commitment.

Things have finally calmed down and with my family on board, I am beginning the quest to find a sponsor, take the test, and become an apprentice.

I live in northeast Nebraska with my wife and 3 little girls. If any of you are from this area of the world, give me a shout and maybe we can get together and talk hawking.

Lowachi
11-17-2012, 11:40 AM
head on over to Kearney.... 300+ there all week.

dbleyepatches
11-17-2012, 12:05 PM
My days off are tuesday and wednesday and yes, I will be there both days. Really looking forward to the Kearney meet.

dbleyepatches
12-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Well today I officially have a sponsor! I was a little nervous because he lives in another state (he is actually the closest falconer to me) but that turned out to be no big deal. Well take the test the first week of February and then start on the mews.

Looking forward to a busy spring.

cdog
12-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Glad to hear it Daniel. Its been a long road for you.

wingnut
12-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Well today I officially have a sponsor! I was a little nervous because he lives in another state (he is actually the closest falconer to me) but that turned out to be no big deal. Well take the test the first week of February and then start on the mews.

Looking forward to a busy spring.

I was a little hesitant to take on an apprentice living a little over an hour away in a neighboring state but after meeting Daniel I felt as though he had his head in the right place. Although anyone considering falconry has to have a few screws loose. :D He's got the maturity and the ambition to become a fine falconer and will be an asset to our community. I can see it will be a two-way learning experience.