View Full Version : Passage RTH with Backpack and jesses spotted near Lake Charles LA

echotadog
11-27-2012, 11:04 AM
I was in Orange Beach Alabama this weekend Photographing the KAISER HALF MARATHON and was approached by a participant's Father from Lake Charles LA . We spoke briefly about a hawk that was soaring over the Finish line and my Falconry came into discussion.
Then he mentions to me that for the last month " a large Hawk with 'Straps' hanging from its legs and a large 'Antennae box' on its back was hanging out on his property". He stated that he thought it was a "scientific study bird" due to the "Large Antennae" on its back . He said it would come in close to the house but not close enough for him to see a band on its legs. I questioned him on the ID and he said it looked like a RTH 'but had a brown barred tail instead of red. they called the local DWR but no one has gotten back to him.'

After a few more moments of discussion I showed him a picture of a hawk with a BACKPACK transmitter on my phone and he said that was what he has been seeing. I gave him my Business card and asked him to contact me if he spots it again as well as gave him contact info for the south eastern director of NAFA...

SO... ANYONE LOOSE A PASSAGE RT NEAR LAKE CHARLES LA carrying a backpack transmitter and wearing gear ?

I did not get an address from him ( he was apprehensive to give it out- even a street name ) , however he said his property is less than a mile north of the Lakes for anyone wanting to recover their hawk. Good Luck and I hope this helps . If I hear back from him , I will follow up on this thread. As for now this all the info I have .

michaelberan
11-27-2012, 09:17 PM
I gave him my Business card and asked him to contact me if he spots it again as well as gave him contact info for the south eastern director of NAFA...

We just picked up a falconry bird in Luling, Louisiana. It was starving on the side of the road, no ones claimed it yet.

Lake Charles is 4 hours south of me but I would go get the bird if I knew where it was.

echotadog
11-27-2012, 10:35 PM
We just picked up a falconry bird in Luling, Louisiana. It was starving on the side of the road, no ones claimed it yet.

Lake Charles is 4 hours south of me but I would go get the bird if I knew where it was.

He was very forthcoming with the info , just not so much with the address...
Hopefully he calls again If it's still around.

Was the one in Luling an RT with a backpack transmitter ?

I had figured you wouldn't mind me giving him your NAFA contact since he was in your backyard so to speak . If I hear anything else I will be glad to contact you and follow up...
Thanks Mr B