PDA

View Full Version : Hello from PA!

harpy93
12-24-2012, 02:43 AM
So, for a while now I've been debating about starting down the path of getting a falconry license and finally decided to start some serious research because I've had a real interest in birds (in particular the large, predatory species :)) for my entire life and why not start now? I've been looking up how to begin and will be visiting the local Game Commission for information, and then trying to find someone to apprentice me which is going to be a bit of a challenge as I don't know anybody around here who is a falconer. But it'll be quite a while before I get to the serious part, which means plenty of time to learn, I want to do this 100% right and I've always found excellent information on other forums for different hobbies so I decided to join here!

So I'll be here for knowledge and hope that you all are willing to answer some of my beginner questions in the near future haill The atmosphere is nice here and everyone seems professional but friendly and I look forward to posting on the boards.

mainefalconer
12-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Stacy,

Welcome to NAFEX. A couple of suggestions for you. Make contact with the Pennsylvania Falconry & Hawk Trust, (there are some members here) and when you get more serious about the sport, and if you get yourself lined up with a sponsor for apprenticeship, join the North American Falconers' Association (NAFA). www.n-a-f-a.com (http://www.n-a-f-a.com)

Reading a lot of what you can find here on NAFEX, and talking directly with other falconers in PA., as well as getting out into the field, and hunting with some of them this winter, will help you decide whether or not falconry is something that you really want to become more involved in.

FredFogg
12-24-2012, 09:27 AM
And to add to what Scott said, there is a joint falconry meet between the PA club and NAFA the first part of January. If you can attend, it would be a great way to see some falconry and meet lots of falconers. You can go to the NAFA website for information about the meet and to register for the meet, if you decide to go. Good luck!

Breeze
12-24-2012, 10:45 AM
(welc) Hi Stacy! You have found an excellent forum to be part of! I too waited for a long time, before becoming involved in falconry. LOVE IT.

hawkstir
12-24-2012, 11:17 AM
(welc)

Where in PA are you?

PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER
12-24-2012, 11:22 AM
trying to find someone to apprentice me which is going to be a bit of a challenge as I don't know anybody around here who is a falconer.

Where in PA do you live? You may want to go to the joint NAFA/PFHT meet in Carlisle, PA on January 2-6, 2013. You will see falconry in action and meet up with a potential sponsor in the future. (See the board on up-comming meets for more information.

harpy93
12-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Hey everyone! I had no idea there were so many falconers in and around PA, a lot more than I expected! On an interesting note, this morning there was a redtail perched on a tree right outside my window which is a pretty rare occurrence in the area peacee

Where in PA do you live? You may want to go to the joint NAFA/PFHT meet in Carlisle, PA on January 2-6, 2013. You will see falconry in action and meet up with a potential sponsor in the future. (See the board on up-comming meets for more information.

I'm in White Haven, it's about 2 hours North of the meet. I came across the thread and might be able to attend, not sure with the sudden snow everywhere confusedd but we'll see.

royale26
12-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Stacey, there are a handfull of us west of you around lewisburg. You are welcome to come hawking with us. Most "wannabe" falconers spend a season or two just being around falconers before making the plunge. You can pm me if you are interested in coming out our way.