PDA

View Full Version : New guy in Northern California, Bay Area

chitwood1775
02-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Hello everyone! I'm Christopher Chitwood. I've recently decided to try to get into Falconry. As mentioned in the title, I live in northern California. San Jose to be specific.
Now I have one ultimate question... you see there isn't really room for a hawk house where I live. So I was wondering what other options are for housing a hawk/falcon besides where you live? Or is that pretty much the only option? I can't really get started until I know if there's any other way like if your sponsor might have extra room in their Hawk House or if there's some place with many built hawk houses that you could rent. sort of like an apartment building for birds of pray. (for like of a better way of explaining it)

Lowachi
02-06-2013, 06:51 PM
I kept my birds else where a couple of spells years ago, mostly during the moult. It was a huge pain, and you can't monitor them when yer not there. Probably ways to do it, like I have my son's birds here while he's out of state for college on campus. I get them ready at the beginning of season, he hawks them when he's home over Christmas, I hawk them the rest of the season. He tends/moults them out over the summer. Definitely a lot of work on my end, and a frustration for Brandon not to have his birds at hand. God willing, he'll be taking them back to OK next fall as he's moved off campus and built a mews there. So, yeah, it can work out, but less than ideal, 'specially for an apprentice, like yourself. Just my $.02 worth.

Dirthawking
02-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Some states may allow you to house indoors or off site. You need to check your local laws on the subject. But as Rich said, it can be a real big pain in the rear end when you are trying to fly every day.