PDA

View Full Version : Latest Edition - North American Falconry & Hunting Hawks - Prepublication Orders Take

davidfrank
03-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Latest Edition - North American Falconry & Hunting Hawks - Prepublication Orders Taken Now! http://www.westernsporting.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/North-American-Falconry-and-Hunting-Hawks-HR.jpg
Code: FB1055
Price: $89.95
Shipping Weight: 12.00 pounds

North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks: The latest edition of this title is in the process of being printed.

We are now taking prepublication orders at a 10% discount. The price will go to $99.95 when it arrives here in our warehouse. This edition should arrive in 60-90 days so please be patient during this time. Those with prepublication orders will receive their copies before we process any new orders. Expected date of delivery is the first part of June—just in time for all those springtime eyasses.

At long last, this title is about to be in print. It has grown a great deal during the process.

Copyright 2013, 9th edition, 8.5" x 11", hardbound, dust wrapper, 2 Volumes, Slip Case, 832 pages, hundreds of images: color plates and illustrations. All the chapters have been updated.

CONTENTS:

*Front Matter: Acknowledgements, Dedication to Frank Lyman Beebe, Foreward by Jim Enderson, Introduction: So You Want to be a Falconer by Harold Melvin Webster, Jr.;

*Forty-eight Chapters in five Sections: Introduction to North American Falconry (11 Chapters), The Broadwings (5 Chapters), The Shortwings (6 Chapters), The Longwings (11 Chapters), Further Reading (15 Chapters);

*Six Appendices: The Hawks of Falconry, Anatomy of a Raptor, Glossary, Bibliography, References, Ango-Indian Hood Chart and Patterns by Jim Nelson, (and Index followed by Advertisers).

http://www.westernsporting.com/FB1055/Latest-Edition-North-American-Falconry_Hunting-Hawks-Prepublication-Orders-Taken-Now.html

Dave

davidfrank
03-22-2013, 04:01 PM
http://www.westernsporting.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/North-American-Falconry-and-Hunting-Hawks-HR.jpg

Here is the link:

http://www.westernsporting.com/FB1055/Latest-Edition-North-American-Falconry_Hunting-Hawks-Prepublication-Orders-Taken-Now.html

David

davidfrank
03-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Table of Contents
VOLUME 1
Acknowledgements.................................. .................................................. ..............................16
List of Illustrations..................................... .................................................. .............................18
Contributing Author Biographies....................................... .................................................. ..33
Dedication to Frank Lyman Beebe............................................. .............................................53
Bob Herrick & William Murrin
Foreword.......................................... .................................................. .........................................57
Prof. James H. Enderson
Introduction: So You Want to be a Falconer.......................................... ...............................61
Harold M. Webster, Jr.
Introduction to North American Falconry
1. Introduction to North American Falconry.......................................... ...............................75
Harold M. Webster, Jr.
2. The Falconer.......................................... .................................................. ...............................83
Harold M. Webster, Jr. & Frank L. Beebe
3. The Nature of Predation......................................... .................................................. ............91
Frank L. Beebe
4. The Hawks of Falconry.......................................... .................................................. .............99
Stuart E. Rossell
5. Becoming a Falconer in North America........................................... .................................121
Frederick W. Holderman - California Hawking Club
6. Hoods & Hoodmaking........................................ .................................................. ..............133
Harold M. Webster, Jr., Frank L. Beebe & James W. Nelson
7. Lures & Luring............................................ .................................................. .......................153
Frank L. Beebe & Harold M. Webster, Jr.
8. Eyass or Passager?......................................... .................................................. ..................171
9. Field Equipment......................................... .................................................. ........................177
10. Hawk Furniture & Housing........................................... .................................................. .185
11. Field Procedure & Transport......................................... .................................................. 219
The Broadwings
12. Red-tailed Hawk: Manning & Training.......................................... ................................227
William C. Oakes
13. Red-tailed Hawk: Squirrel Hawking........................................... ......................................237
Gary Brewer
14. The Harris’ Hawk: Rabbits & Hares............................................. ...................................245
Toby Bradshaw
15. The Harris’ Hawk: Hunting Birds............................................. .......................................259
Harry McElroy
16. The Ferruginous Hawk.............................................. .................................................. .....289
Dave Daniher

The Shortwings
17. The Sharp-shinned Hawk.............................................. .................................................. .299
Frank L. Beebe, Harold M. Webster, Jr., & Michael K. McDermott
18. The Cooper’s Hawk.............................................. .................................................. ...........305
19. The Northern Goshawk........................................... .................................................. .......313
20. The Passage Goshawk........................................... .................................................. ........327
Ben G. Ohlander
21. Accipiters: Hawking with the Goshawk........................................... ...............................347
22. Training the Accipiters: Imprints.......................................... ...........................................375
Michael K. McDermott
VOLUME II
The Longwings
23. The American Kestrel........................................... .................................................. ..........427
Frank L. Beebe, Harold M. Webster, Jr., & Matthew Mullenix
24. The Merlin............................................ .................................................. ............................435
Eric Edwards & Kenneth C. Tuttle
25. The Aplomado Falcon............................................ .................................................. ........451
James W. Nelson & Harry McElroy
26. The Prairie Falcon............................................ .................................................. ................473
Harold M. Webster, Jr.
27. The Prairie Falcon: Eyass & Hacked Hawks............................................. .....................481
Harold M. Webster, Jr.
28. The Prairie Falcon: Trapping Wild Birds............................................. ...........................489
Harold M. Webster, Jr.
29. The Peregrine Falcon: Past & Present........................................... .................................529
Dr. Tom Cade
30. The Peregrine Falcon: Unhacked Eyass............................................. ............................547
31. The Peregrine Falcon: Arctic Migrants.......................................... .................................555
Harold M. Webster, Jr.
32. The Peregrine Falcon: Game Hawking........................................... ..................................561
33. Notes on the Gyrfalcon......................................... .................................................. ..........571
Harold M. Webster, Jr.

Further Reading
34. Of Feather & Moult............................................. .................................................. .............591
35. Feather Care, Imping & Coping............................................ ............................................599
Stuart E. Rossell
36. Management........................................ .................................................. ..............................609
Harold M. Webster, Jr.
37. Of Wind & Weather........................................... .................................................. ................613
38. Hawks & Power Poles............................................. .................................................. ..........618
Kirk Hohenberger
39. Pigeons in Falconry.......................................... .................................................. ..................625
Harold M. Webster, Jr.
40. Humble Beginnings: The Story of NAFA.............................................. ...........................633
Harold M. Webster, Jr.
41. Sky Trials: Competitive Falconry.......................................... ..............................................641
Rick Sharpe
42. Breeding Raptors in Captivity: Part I................................................. .................................649
Prof. James H. Enderson
43. Breeding Raptors in Captivity: Part II................................................ .................................665
P.A.B. (Pete) Widener, Jr.
44. Trained Hawks & Bird Abatement......................................... ..............................................671
Stuart E. Rossell
45. Dogs of Falconry.......................................... .................................................. ........................691
Harold M. Webster, Jr.
46. Legal Aspects of Falconry.......................................... .................................................. ........699
William Murrin
47. The Past, Present, & Future of North American Falconry.......................................... .....735
Harold M. Webster, Jr.
48. Final Thoughts.......................................... .................................................. .......................... 749
Harold M. Webster, Jr.
Anatomy of a Raptor............................................ .................................................. .....................755
Frank L. Beebe
Glossary.......................................... .................................................. .............................................757
Frederick W. Holderman - California Hawking Club
Bibliography...................................... .................................................. ..........................................775
Harold M. Webster, Jr.

References........................................ .................................................. ..........................................779
Anglo-Indian Hood Chart & Patterns.......................................... .............................................785
Appendix to Hoods, Hooding and Hoodmaking.
Index............................................. .................................................. ................................................79 9
Advertisers....................................... .................................................. ...........................................817

bluejack
03-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Looks like winner!

FredFogg
03-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Already pre-ordered mine! :D

GONEHAWKN
03-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Already pre-ordered mine! :D

same here Fred......

GONEHAWKN
06-14-2013, 03:08 AM
http://bit.ly/11E5puR
well this seems kinda strange. NAFAHH for less than the prepublication price?

Not really sure what's going on with the link. I am doing this from my phone. But, it's on eBay with a BIN price of $74.99 and shipping costs of $4.00. Wasn't the prepublication price $90.00 + shipping?

FredFogg
06-14-2013, 05:38 AM
http://bit.ly/11E5puR
well this seems kinda strange. NAFAHH for less than the prepublication price?

Not really sure what's going on with the link. I am doing this from my phone. But, it's on eBay with a BIN price of $74.99 and shipping costs of $4.00. Wasn't the prepublication price $90.00 + shipping?

The guy is in Vietnam! :eek: I think this is some type of Ebay scam! Beware buyers!

Breeze
06-14-2013, 09:29 AM
The guy is in Vietnam! :eek: I think this is some type of Ebay scam! Beware buyers!

Thanks for the warning, Fred! Lots of not-so-reliable folks out there. :(

Am really looking forward to receiving mine from Western Sporting - got a notice that they will be shipped out soon! Am thinking should be at the house by end of this month, or there abouts? I really miss my memory! :eek:

rkumetz
06-14-2013, 09:47 AM

It is not a scam. He just made a mistake on the title. He is actually selling "Southeast Asian Falconry & Hunting Hawks". Geez. You guys are so suspicions and untrusting! frus)

americansharpy
06-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Glad they kept Beebe's "The Nature of Predation" chapter. I also pre-ordered my copy.

Tony James
06-14-2013, 05:05 PM
It is not a scam. He just made a mistake on the title. He is actually selling "Southeast Asian Falconry & Hunting Hawks". Geez. You guys are so suspicions and untrusting! frus)

Hi Ron,

I'd be very cautious about bidding. Check out his other items.
Anybody lifting all pictures and information from elsewhere, needs to be regarded with caution.
What I've looked at doesn't add up.

Best wishes,

Tony.

rkumetz
06-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi Ron,

I'd be very cautious about bidding. Check out his other items.
Anybody lifting all pictures and information from elsewhere, needs to be regarded with caution.
What I've looked at doesn't add up.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Hi Tony. That was my attempt at sarcasm. Anyone selling a book that has barely been advertised by "real" vendors on Ebay is clearly a scam.

Tony James
06-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Hi Tony. That was my attempt at sarcasm. Anyone selling a book that has barely been advertised by "real" vendors on Ebay is clearly a scam.

How embarrassed am I to have read that as being serious:eek:

My apologies for ruining the joke, and hands up from this complete muppetpeacee

skooky20
06-29-2013, 09:56 AM
I see that the price on the site has gone up to $99. so it looks like we should be getting the pre orders soon

Breeze
06-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Received email notification that mine is on the way! Shipped via media mail, so will take a few days - but "it's in the mail"! :D peacee :D

rri32701
06-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Got my notification today also.Says it's to be shipped 7-01-13

sakerjack
07-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Just received my copy,, OUTSTANDING, well done David. The look is clean the color plates make a great addition to the series and the black and white drawing are first rate.

Alex Stokes
07-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Good news for Canadian falconers in relation to this book. I took this directly from Western Sporting's website.

Regards,

Alex

SHIP DATE AUGUST 1ST

$121.95

FOR OUR CANADIAN CUSTOMERS.
We are offering flat rate shipping to all addresses for six months from within Canada to avoid Customs and Duty charges. The flat rate for shipping is included in the price listed above.

GONEHAWKN
07-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Received mine a couple of days ago. A buddy out in California received his a day or before me. I had not had time to really look through the books in detail. But he did, and he pointed out a mistake. Anyone else catch it?

rkumetz
07-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Received mine a couple of days ago. A buddy out in California received his a day or before me. I had not had time to really look through the books in detail. But he did, and he pointed out a mistake. Anyone else catch it?

Was the mistake sending it to your buddy in CA who has way too much time on his hands and who could read through a book like that so quickly? confusedd

GONEHAWKN
07-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Not at all. This can be picked up on with quick thumb through the book. Let me just say, I LOVE the book/s. Not busting on it/them at all.

wiplumber
07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
chapter one is titled as chapter three. the table of contents has it right.

GONEHAWKN
07-11-2013, 05:41 PM
chapter one is titled as chapter three. the table of contents has it right.

;-)

skooky20
07-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Got my copy today love it

Red-tail71
07-12-2013, 05:53 AM
Fabulously laid out book! I am on vacation next week. I will enjoy reading it in the morning with a cup of coffee on the lake! peacee

davidfrank
07-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Hello All,

We have been going back through the files to see how Chapter One happens to contain a header from the wrong master page and can find no explanation. The files for this book are extremely complicated and we suspect a glitch occurred when saving the file resulting in the wrong header being applied. Certainly, our last printed proof was correct.

We also appreciate it being brought to our attention here on the Forum. The advance head's up allowed us to correct the problem. Thanks go to Bill Barbour.

The first group of books was shipped out to those who pre-ordered. Most were signed by Hal Webster who made a special trip down here to do so. They all contain the offending page. The remainder of the books in this edition of North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks are still at the printer. They are all being corrected prior to shipment to Western Sporting.

So, we now consider this small number of books in the first shipment, with the mistake, signed by Hal, to be collector's items.

I didn't respond to this Forum for a few days while we spoke to the printer about the options.

David Frank
Western Sporting

Breeze
07-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Woohoo! Have a collector's item! peacee Accidental, but still very cool! Amazing read - totally enjoying the books. Thanks, Western Sporting!

wiplumber
07-16-2013, 04:17 PM
I think those of us who received the signed copy of this book can overlook this small error in printing. Great book.

skooky20
07-16-2013, 11:26 PM
out of curiosity how many had the misprint in them.

GONEHAWKN
09-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Chris,
I THINK it was said about 400-450 were sent out like this. Maybe David can say more on this. As a book guy, i LOVE this book. I have several other editions too. Great job to David and all those involved.