PDA

View Full Version : Photographer interested in Falconers

johnhaynesphoto
04-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Hello,

I am a portrait photographer based in Minneapolis, and I am interested in photographing falconers and their birds. As of now, i am not sure if i am interested in just shooting portraits, or if I want to come with on hunts. I am just really interested in the subject and want to know more.

Are there any falconers in the twin cities metro area that would be willing to meet up and let me buy them coffee/beer and pick your brain? Also, if there is any imagery of any kind, I would love to see it. If it's photos or videos you shot on your phone, or really beautifully done work that you are aware of, I just want to get an idea of what else is out there and what everyone is really in to.

Thanks!
John

JRedig
04-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Hi John,

I'll send you a PM.

I'm in the twin cities, beer always sounds good! Sadly, you are contacting us at a time of year when most of the birds are up for the moult or breeding, not really handling/flying/hunting them much right now.

But, there is always next season.
-Jeff

Tasha55403
04-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Hello,

I am a portrait photographer based in Minneapolis, and I am interested in photographing falconers and their birds. As of now, i am not sure if i am interested in just shooting portraits, or if I want to come with on hunts. I am just really interested in the subject and want to know more.

Are there any falconers in the twin cities metro area that would be willing to meet up and let me buy them coffee/beer and pick your brain? Also, if there is any imagery of any kind, I would love to see it. If it's photos or videos you shot on your phone, or really beautifully done work that you are aware of, I just want to get an idea of what else is out there and what everyone is really in to.

Thanks!
John
Hi John:) Like Jeff said-now isn't a very good time, but you should have better luck in the fall. I'd also be willing to let you pick my brain, but I have to admit I'm moving out of state this summer so I won't be much help with actually taking pics. I've been known to take a few falconry pics though and I'd be happy to help if you have any questions. Portraits are kinda boring though unless they're an unusual bird or your own. Most folks prefer birds in flight or better yet, catching or attempting to catch game. A bit more challenging:) I haven't done much very recently, but you can see some of my stuff here:
http://www.wildwingsphotos.webs.com/
http://www.gregmik.webs.com/

eminart
04-17-2013, 02:20 PM
There's a facebook page called "Women and Wings" that is mostly photos of women falconers. Some of them are mere snapshots, some are cheesy photos and digital art, some are quite "nice" for us guys, and a few are very artfully done. It's just photos borrowed from members and all over the internet, I think.

Rising_Flames
04-17-2013, 10:41 PM
What you might try in the mean time is going out to some of the Raptor Center releases and photographing some of the raptors there, it might give you an idea on whether you're interested in trying to catch some of those hunts or just get into portraits. I also make it a priority to go out to the State Fair and watch/photograph the Last Chance Forever presentations.

The next Spring Raptor Center Release is Saturday, May 4, 11:00am - 2:00pm, program starts at 12noon, at Hyland Lake Park Reserve, 10145 Bush Lake Road Bloomington, MN.

Here's one of my albums from the 2011 Last Chance Forever presentations at the State Fair: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.292388910775045.88009.160306527316618&type=3

Ross
04-18-2013, 06:58 AM
Hi John:) Like Jeff said-now isn't a very good time, but you should have better luck in the fall. I'd also be willing to let you pick my brain, but I have to admit I'm moving out of state this summer so I won't be much help with actually taking pics. I've been known to take a few falconry pics though and I'd be happy to help if you have any questions. Portraits are kinda boring though unless they're an unusual bird or your own. Most folks prefer birds in flight or better yet, catching or attempting to catch game. A bit more challenging:) I haven't done much very recently, but you can see some of my stuff here:
http://www.wildwingsphotos.webs.com/
http://www.gregmik.webs.com/

I suggest taking Tasha up on this, she has taken many great pics.

COMEAUX
04-18-2013, 08:00 AM
I suggest taking Tasha up on this, she has taken many great pics.

I Agree haill I have one she took of Oddsod for my computer screenbeeer

Tasha55403
04-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Awww...thanks guys:D Hopefully there'll be a lot more pics from me in the future, if all goes well:)

PeteJ
04-18-2013, 12:50 PM
I have one of a Barbary in flight on the wall over my headboard. Tasha has it all going on in regard to flight and action shots for sure. Can't wait to see what she does with New Mexico wildlife stuff where she can actually see beyond the trees and blinding snow!LOL

Lowachi
04-18-2013, 12:55 PM
yep, what they said. Take her up on the offer.