PDA

View Full Version : New Improved Handle

rkumetz
04-22-2013, 06:45 PM
It appears that Marshall has made some improvements to the handle provided with their receivers. The new one is a much more ergonomic pistol grip which is shaped to fit the hand better and has some contours to make it easier to hold with a gloved or wet hand. The new one is on the right.http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m357/rkumetz/Handles_zpsf7188fef.jpg

sugezwolf
04-24-2013, 08:42 PM
It appears that Marshall has made some improvements to the handle provided with their receivers. The new one is a much more ergonomic pistol grip which is shaped to fit the hand better and has some contours to make it easier to hold with a gloved or wet hand. The new one is on the right.http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m357/rkumetz/Handles_zpsf7188fef.jpg

Never mind the grip Ron - does the new one stay in place!

Gerry x

rkumetz
04-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Never mind the grip Ron - does the new one stay in place!

Gerry x

I am guessing that you have had problems in this area? (Pretty insightful of me, eh?)

I haven't had issues in that area but I can see where the locking screw could be a problem. I personally would have gone with some sort of pin with a spring rather than the screw but nobody asked me.

That being said I think just about everyone here would agree that Marshall is really good with support so why not send them an email or give a call? I would be interested to hear if other people have had this problem.

Jason123
04-25-2013, 10:22 AM
My handle fell off. Its lost in the woods forever. I just don't use a handle anymore.

joturley
04-25-2013, 12:37 PM
I was using mine yesterday and the handle fell off; I have trouble getting the attachment tight enough, the way it's designed and the way my fingers don't function well in the cold. Once tightened as much as I can get it, it still feels unstable during a carry of any distance, so I keep holstering it, taking it out, holstering it...I'd hate to have to resort to gorilla tape! /jo

sugezwolf
04-25-2013, 10:52 PM
I am guessing that you have had problems in this area? (Pretty insightful of me, eh?)

I haven't had issues in that area but I can see where the locking screw could be a problem. I personally would have gone with some sort of pin with a spring rather than the screw but nobody asked me.

That being said I think just about everyone here would agree that Marshall is really good with support so why not send them an email or give a call? I would be interested to hear if other people have had this problem.

My handle fell off. Its lost in the woods forever. I just don't use a handle anymore.

I was using mine yesterday and the handle fell off; I have trouble getting the attachment tight enough, the way it's designed and the way my fingers don't function well in the cold. Once tightened as much as I can get it, it still feels unstable during a carry of any distance, so I keep holstering it, taking it out, holstering it...I'd hate to have to resort to gorilla tape! /jo

Hi Ron, Jason & Jo - the problem I have found is the handle is a two-piece design with the plastic/dieldrin handle affixed to a metal section that then slides into the receiver itself. The plastic comes away from the metal & clearly a one-piece design would erase this issue.

Gerry x

rkumetz
04-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi Ron, Jason & Jo - the problem I have found is the handle is a two-piece design with the plastic/dieldrin handle affixed to a metal section that then slides into the receiver itself. The plastic comes away from the metal & clearly a one-piece design would erase this issue.

Gerry x

Perhaps but that would be a bit of a challenge. If the handle was 100% plastic either the fingers that lock with the case would wear out or it could crack if you hit it on something. If the handle was 100% metal it would be very cold.

Are you saying that the plastic part came off or separated from the metal part? THAT is a really odd failure.

That problem could be solved by using machine screws and nylon insert lock nuts instead of self tapping screws to put the two halves together.

sugezwolf
04-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Perhaps but that would be a bit of a challenge. If the handle was 100% plastic either the fingers that lock with the case would wear out or it could crack if you hit it on something. If the handle was 100% metal it would be very cold.

Are you saying that the plastic part came off or separated from the metal part? THAT is a really odd failure.

That problem could be solved by using machine screws and nylon insert lock nuts instead of self tapping screws to put the two halves together.

Yes that's it Ron and you're right it is the screw threads in the plastic that is the problem as it just isn't a hard enough material to hold a thread for long with a metal screw in it.

Really poor design.

Gerry x

rkumetz
04-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Yes that's it Ron and you're right it is the screw threads in the plastic that is the problem as it just isn't a hard enough material to hold a thread for long with a metal screw in it.

Really poor design.

Gerry x

Gerry,
Since I have not had this happen to me (and I am not in the mood to disassemble my handle) I can't speak for the design however you should
contact Marshall. They are usually very good about making an attempt to
correct problems for customers. In addition if a few people complain about
this problem instead of remaining silently upset perhaps they would take a look at the design and change it. If the screws are simply ripping out of the plastic there are some inserts with big plastic cutting threads that could be used to prevent that from happening. They function sort of like the plastic inserts that you jam in a sheet rock wall to screw stuff to it.
Ron

RLBagley
04-29-2013, 05:00 PM

Really poor design.

Gerry x

Hello Gerry-

Maybe I can provide a another response here. The comments on this thread are indeed surprising, in that we have never had a handle come back with pulled screws for a warranty replacement, or sent back because it would fall off and needed adjustment . . . . "like, ever" (to quote Taylor Swift's popular song).

We have never see a handle that has failed or had screws pull out, whether used by us here or member of the Pro Team who are selected as hard users with long seasons. Not one handle ever returned because parts became separated, the mounting points become worn, or failed in some other way. And that's a pretty significant record with thousands and thousands of receivers out there going back to 2007.

So in that sense, it's been a really great design, actually.

But it's certainly cause for alarm when several people make negative comment here on the Forum so quickly in place of simply calling or emailing us for help or a replacement. Maybe our perception is really skewed because of this, and more people are out there not letting us otherwise know. By in my own direct experience with it, six seasons in the field and numerous receivers being tested, passed around, carried, visiting with and talking to Distributors around the world, etc. is that, once the thumbwheel is tight and locked into placed, it just stays there.

And, the new handle builds on what we've learned, but provides a much better feel through well-placed curves and volume giving additional leverage and beef to it. It also "backwards compatible" so anyone with a 2007 or newer receiver design can try it.

The new handle uses a self-tapping screw, which is specially designed for plastic and offers even greater thread engagement, holding the aluminum bracket and glass-reinforced nylon handle piece together securely. My guess in that you could hang actually from it.

The thumb wheel engagement/handle mechanism is intended to be tightened down very snugly by hand. But it's probably wise to check it from time to time. For extreme cases or for anybody wishing to have their handle more permanently fixed, a simple dab of Loctite on the thumbwheel screw before assembly will do the trick.

The very reason for the design is to give users a quick-release option, and many people are now dispensing with the handle altogether making it essentially a "pocket receiver," while others who need to avoid the appearance of a weapon in the urban areas they hawk also never use it. Together with the quick-release handle design, in 2007 we narrowed the width of the receiver body 30%, gave it generous and smooth radius corners to make it a pleasure to hold without a handle.

Anyway, if you'd like to try the new handle, just PM your shipping address and we'll send one out so you can slide it in place, crank it down tight, and see what you think.

For such a low-tech improvement, it's my belief they really turned out great.

Makes the whole receiver feel different now.

RB

RLBagley
04-29-2013, 06:03 PM

Really poor design.

Gerry x

Keep in mind that we have designers here with software to calibrate these designs well in advance, before machining them. A lot of discussion, internal debate and thought go into everything we make, including anticipation of what type of abuse things will get in the field.

Anyway, after I went out on a limb and mentioned in the previous post you could probably hang on the new handle without screws pulling out, I thought we'd better go test that.

We did.

Jerry, at 200 pounds, hung from the new handle first, connected to the bottom half of a receiver case, and even did a few pull ups.

Then "Little Kevin" who is 280 pounds, was next. No problem. No pulled screws.

I am now going to take and use that same handle this year on my receiver.

So, the short answer is, "Yes, the plastic we are using is indeed hard enough material to hold a thread with a metal screw in it, for a very long time."

(although we don't recommend using your own receiver and handle for doing pull-ups)

RB

Tony James
04-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Dear Robert,

I've been fortunate enough not to have needed to use my telemetry much in recent years, but when it has been needed it's surpassed any reasonable expectation.
Regarding the handle, I've never had the slightest problem, although I can imagine this new version to be an improvement in terms of comfort and functionality.
When I see Steve Lea in a few days from now, I'll have to enquire about both the new handle and the new, smaller yagi.

Best wishes,

Tony.

RLBagley
04-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Dear Robert,

I've been fortunate enough not to have needed to use my telemetry much in recent years, but when it has been needed it's surpassed any reasonable expectation.
Regarding the handle, I've never had the slightest problem, although I can imagine this new version to be an improvement in terms of comfort and functionality.
When I see Steve Lea in a few days from now, I'll have to enquire about both the new handle and the new, smaller yagi.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Well, better than that: I'll bring yours with me, as we are coming to the Falconer's Fair to help out this year, three days in the UK then on to Dubai.

Stephen doubled the size of the trade stand this year to better accommodate the crowds, especially if it's going to be raining. So the Hunter Wellies will be with me as a precaution. . .

Thanks for the note here,
RB

Tony James
04-30-2013, 03:35 AM
Well, better than that: I'll bring yours with me, as we are coming to the Falconer's Fair to help out this year, three days in the UK then on to Dubai.

Stephen doubled the size of the trade stand this year to better accommodate the crowds, especially if it's going to be raining. So the Hunter Wellies will be with me as a precaution. . .

Thanks for the note here,
RB

Your reputation for service is already outstanding, but 'International Delivery by Hand', that takes the biscuit.
Eddy is coming over from Belgium, and along with other friends from Belgium and Italy we're meeting up at Nigel's for some sport, then on to meet with Roger Jean and Mark for a meal in Marlborough, before heading to the FF the following morning.
If you fancy joining us you're more than welcome, but either way I look forward to seeing you very soon.
With luck you won't need the wellies!

Best wishes,

Tony.

RLBagley
04-30-2013, 02:46 PM

Gerry, Jason and Jo, if you each will send me your shipping address, I will ship out one of the new design handles to try.

It'd be great to see what you think of the changes, and if it solves these issues for you?

You can just send me a Private Message, that's fine.
RB

RLBagley
04-30-2013, 05:26 PM
For those who may be interested, we added a few illustrative pictures here (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151431369590665.1073741826.95847325664&type=1&notif_t=like).

RB

joturley
04-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Robert - that's very generous of you; in my case, it's not the handle that's 100% at fault, but my small, old, cold sensitive hands & fingers! However, the new handle looks like it would make holding the receiver easier for me. So, I'd like to try it, but am certainly willing to pay for it. /jo

Jason123
04-30-2013, 06:24 PM
I have zero complaints other then the handle falling off while it was holstered on my back. Sorry if this came across as negative to marshall I was curious if this small issue was more common. I assume for me the thumb screw got knocked loose and in running up and down ravines it wiggled off. The reciever works without a handle just fine and I didn't want to purchase a replacement so I went without. As for a replacement if your offering im recieving. It's a comfort to know that there are still honorable company's and good people out there. I'll be adding two new marshall transmitters this year and plan on sticking with the best for good. Thanks Marshall.

sugezwolf
04-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Gerry, Jason and Jo, if you each will send me your shipping address, I will ship out one of the new design handles to try.

It'd be great to see what you think of the changes, and if it solves these issues for you?

You can just send me a Private Message, that's fine.
RB

Thanks Robert I appreciate the offer - unfortunately I've already shelled out £30 odd on a replacement from Steve Lea in the past year.

Gerry Scott Plant
29 Far Ridding,
Gnosall,
Stafford
ST20 0DW
England

P.S. I still have the old handle here if you'd like to see it. I ended up having to put oversize screws in it to make it hold until I could replace it. NB I do use telemetry rather often! :D

RLBagley
04-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Robert - that's very generous of you; in my case, it's not the handle that's 100% at fault, but my small, old, cold sensitive hands & fingers! However, the new handle looks like it would make holding the receiver easier for me. So, I'd like to try it, but am certainly willing to pay for it. /jo

We'll work to have it up on the Accessories page (http://marshallradio.com/north-american-falconry-products/itemlist/category/76-accessories?lang=en) there on the website soon ($19.95?).

But I have a couple here set aside for just such an occasion, so one is yours if you can accept it guilt-free?

We'd be interested in hearing back your results and experience with it.

RLBagley
04-30-2013, 07:18 PM
I have zero complaints other then the handle falling off while it was holstered on my back. Sorry if this came across as negative to marshall I was curious if this small issue was more common. I assume for me the thumb screw got knocked loose and in running up and down ravines it wiggled off. The reciever works without a handle just fine and I didn't want to purchase a replacement so I went without. As for a replacement if your offering im recieving. It's a comfort to know that there are still honorable company's and good people out there. I'll be adding two new marshall transmitters this year and plan on sticking with the best for good. Thanks Marshall.

Thanks Jason!

RLBagley
04-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks Robert I appreciate the offer - unfortunately I've already shelled out £30 odd on a replacement from Steve Lea in the past year.

Gerry Scott Plant
29 Far Ridding,
Gnosall,
Stafford
ST20 0DW
England

P.S. I still have the old handle here if you'd like to see it. I ended up having to put oversize screws in it to make it hold until I could replace it. NB I do use telemetry rather often! :D

OK, very good. Yes, it would really help to see your defective handle and we'd obviously replace it under warranty.

Although, if you are by chance coming to the Falconer's Fair, we'll see you there next week, and can give you one of the new handles in person. Maybe bring yours with you?

RLBagley
04-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Your reputation for service is already outstanding, but 'International Delivery by Hand', that takes the biscuit.
Eddy is coming over from Belgium, and along with other friends from Belgium and Italy we're meeting up at Nigel's for some sport, then on to meet with Roger Jean and Mark for a meal in Marlborough, before heading to the FF the following morning.
If you fancy joining us you're more than welcome, but either way I look forward to seeing you very soon.
With luck you won't need the wellies!

Best wishes,

Tony.

We'll be arriving-departing Heathrow around mid-day, so yes, assuming traffic north on the M1 is not too bad, we will attempt to find you all in time for some good pub food. I'll ring you along the way, if we're making good progress. That would be brilliant (as you would say).
RB

sugezwolf
04-30-2013, 07:48 PM
OK, very good. Yes, it would really help to see your defective handle and we'd obviously replace it under warranty.

Although, if you are by chance coming to the Falconer's Fair, we'll see you there next week, and can give you one of the new handles in person. Maybe bring yours with you?

Sorry Robert but I no longer attend the FF since it moved from Chetwynd. However I'd be glad to put the old handle (complete w/ oversized screws) in the post if you can supply me with an English postal address?

Gerry x

RLBagley
04-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Sorry Robert but I no longer attend the FF since it moved from Chetwynd. However I'd be glad to put the old handle (complete w/ oversized screws) in the post if you can supply me with an English postal address?

Gerry x

OK, very good:

Stephen Lea
Marshall Direct UK
29 Landside
Pennington, Leigh Lancashire WN7 3JT
United Kingdom

If your season is now at an end, you can send both the failed one and the replacement you paid for. We'll send you the new one to keep and use (and test) and credit your CC back the 30 quid spent last year, since this would be a Warranty replacement, a different situation than merely misplacing it.

RB

sugezwolf
04-30-2013, 07:57 PM
OK, very good:

Stephen Lea
Marshall Direct UK
29 Landside
Pennington, Leigh Lancashire WN7 3JT
United Kingdom

If your season is now at an end, you can send both the failed one and the replacement you paid for. We'll send you the new one to keep and use (and test) and credit your CC back the 30 quid spent last year, since this would be a Warranty replacement, a different situation than merely misplacing it.

RB

Cheers Robert - will do.

Gerry x

Tony James
05-01-2013, 05:49 AM
We'll be arriving-departing Heathrow around mid-day, so yes, assuming traffic north on the M1 is not too bad, we will attempt to find you all in time for some good pub food. I'll ring you along the way, if we're making good progress. That would be brilliant (as you would say).
RB

Brilliant indeed (I do say that a lot don't I:))

I'll try to catch you later today to see what reservations I should make for you for meals, hotels etc.
It would be lovely (brilliant even) if you joined us there.
Do you need picking up from the airport?

Speak soon,

Tony.

Big Foot
05-01-2013, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=RLBagley;286910

RB[/QUOTE]

...once again Marshall outshines the competition in customer service!

RLBagley
05-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Brilliant indeed (I do say that a lot don't I:))

I'll try to catch you later today to see what reservations I should make for you for meals, hotels etc.
It would be lovely (brilliant even) if you joined us there.
Do you need picking up from the airport?

Speak soon,

Tony.

(I'll update you on those details in a Private message, if that's OK)

rkumetz
05-01-2013, 03:42 PM
I have learned something useful here. When you travel abroad carry a bunch of Marshall handles to give to the locals. You get someone to pick you up at the airport, tote you around and feed you. Much better than Travelocity. :D

Tony James
05-01-2013, 03:55 PM
I have learned something useful here. When you travel abroad carry a bunch of Marshall handles to give to the locals. You get someone to pick you up at the airport, tote you around and feed you. Much better than Travelocity. :D

Hi Ron,

you don't have to be as generous as Robert to be welcomed I promise.

If you ever head this way, let me know --- I'll do the best I can to help you enjoy the visit.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Tony James
05-11-2013, 04:24 PM
A quick note of appreciation to Robert,

not just for bringing that nice new handle, but for being such good and pleasant company every moment I was in it.

Looking forward to seeing you whenever and wherever the next time is.

Best wishes,

Tony.

falcondoc
05-16-2013, 11:18 AM
I received the new Field Marshall handle last week. Very nice improvement over the old one. It has a better feel and I am sure the plastic material won't be as cold when in use. Thanks, Robert!

sugezwolf
05-18-2013, 10:38 AM
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx95/sugezwolf/NewMarshallHandleampSignalSensor.jpg (http://s745.photobucket.com/user/sugezwolf/media/NewMarshallHandleampSignalSensor.jpg.html)

I received the new Marshall handle yesterday and it feels a lot more comfortable & natural to hold in the hand. I also received a Marshall Signal Sensor in lieu of the replacement handle I'd bought to replace the faulty one. Great customer service from Marshall once again - thanks to Robert Bagley and Stephen & Zoe Lea. :D

Gerry x