PDA

View Full Version : Tables

Icantmove
04-25-2013, 11:28 AM
I've had several occasions where I wanted a forum-supported table.

Like: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_tables.asp, except in BB code rather than HTML.

Is there support for this, and if not can it be added or worked around?

Dirthawking
04-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Pretend 90% of us don't speak computer. What would this accomplish for the average user?

Icantmove
04-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Pretend 90% of us don't speak computer. What would this accomplish for the average user?

I'm assuming the average user has a hard enough time getting pictures to post, so I don't think being able to make tables would do anything for them.

Then again, neither do these HTML tags. Seriously, why does this exist?

Every now and again someone asks for some kind of tabulated data, or something best expressed in tabular form. Example: something like this (http://omega.uta.edu/~cxk4580/falconry/gametable.html) was requested at some point. I would like a way to put these in posts without having to resort to external links or screenshot / other gimmicks.

Here's a gimmicky way of doing it:

TEST | COL1 | COL2
--------------------------
ROW1 | DATA11 | DATA12
ROW2 | DATA21 | DATA22

I want there to be a "right" way to do the above. Google tells me that [TABLE] tags exist for this. Maybe they have to be installed or enabled or something. I've never run forum software before, so I don't know the details; I figured y'all might be able to fill those in.

rkumetz
04-25-2013, 02:35 PM
I would just do it in a spreadsheet, take a screen shot and post the image. But I am kind of lazy that way........

I'm assuming the average user has a hard enough time getting pictures to post, so I don't think being able to make tables would do anything for them.

Then again, neither do these HTML tags. Seriously, why does this exist?Every now and again someone asks for some kind of tabulated data, or something best expressed in tabular form. Example: something like this (http://omega.uta.edu/~cxk4580/falconry/gametable.html) was requested at some point. I would like a way to put these in posts without having to resort to external links or screenshot / other gimmicks.

Here's a gimmicky way of doing it:

TEST | COL1 | COL2
--------------------------
ROW1 | DATA11 | DATA12
ROW2 | DATA21 | DATA22

I want there to be a "right" way to do the above. Google tells me that [TABLE] tags exist for this. Maybe they have to be installed or enabled or something. I've never run forum software before, so I don't know the details; I figured y'all might be able to fill those in.

Icantmove
04-25-2013, 03:28 PM
I would just do it in a spreadsheet, take a screen shot and post the image. But I am kind of lazy that way........

I think that would be more effort if you wanted to change things afterwards. Maybe less tags, though. It's still not the "right" way.

rkumetz
04-25-2013, 04:37 PM
I think that would be more effort if you wanted to change things afterwards. Maybe less tags, though. It's still not the "right" way.

I never said it was the right way. I said it was the lazy method! :D

Rising_Flames
04-25-2013, 09:25 PM
From a coding perspective you'd be better off creating a page to remotely access and do updates from (webs/weebly/etc) and linking - this way you can post the information in multiple places and still access it in the event that the forums are unreachable - there are also some BBCode tags that work in most browsers but will not work on mobile devices.

Captain Gizmo
06-29-2015, 11:43 PM
I recently had occasion to post an old Hawk chalk article with a table. the table completely lost it's formatting. I just did a second post with the summary of the table typed in. Most people would not have cared about the full details anyway.

Thomas the Dinosaur