PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite "Falconry 101" Type Book?

WilliamB
05-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Can any of you recommend a good book that touches on most of the aspects of falconry (though perhaps lacking a lot of depth into any one subject) that someone new to falconry can use as a starting point in building their understanding of falconry? A "World history 101" type book, opposed to something more focused on all the details of a singular subject. Thank you!

FredFogg
05-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Can any of you recommend a good book that touches on most of the aspects of falconry (though perhaps lacking a lot of depth into any one subject) that someone new to falconry can use as a starting point in building their understanding of falconry? A "World history 101" type book, opposed to something more focused on all the details of a singular subject. Thank you!

North American Falconry & Hunting Hawks

Understanding Birds of Prey

Eagle Owl
05-24-2013, 11:53 PM
The best book for beginners. http://www.westernsporting.com/FB1055/Latest-Edition-North-American-Falconry_Hunting-Hawks-Prepublication-Orders-Taken-Now.html

GONEHAWKN
05-25-2013, 01:06 AM
WilliamB, since your locale is showing Boise, do yourself a favor, if you have not done so already, and go visit the Archives of Falconry. Call ahead to let them know your coming. Give yourself PLENTY of time. Oh, and yes, pick up a copy of NAFAHH's.

WilliamB
05-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Thank you guys!

shortwinger
05-25-2013, 09:03 AM
North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks. I got my first copy of it when I was about 10 years old and at a time when there was no internet or cheap long distance calling this book taught me about falconry, equipment, birds of prey in general and everything you would ever need ot know about falconry. You could be on a desert island (that had birds of prey and game) and become a great falconer from this one book.

There are many other great books out there and for sure some that have more modern training techniques and equipment, but rarely is there a complete package like this. And I believe the new edition will be a bit more updated and current in this regard. One thing I love about this book is that "if" you would read it cover to cover it not only teaches you how to do things it also teaches you why and how it relates to everything else. You miss some of this by only reading about the bird you intend to get but, there is a lot of information a squirrel hawker can learn by reading the sections on the peregrine and vise versa.

Oh yeah one other thing, the falconry test was largely taken from this book and with the help of the falconry leaders of that time, namely Beebe and Webster.

Breeze
05-25-2013, 11:59 AM
What Fred and Brandi both said. Borrowed North American Falconry & Hunting Hawks from library, to read and study before my exam. Have my own copy of newest edition (Brandi's post) on order now, for my permanent library.

Rocky
05-25-2013, 04:36 PM
I believe Fox's 'Understanding Birds of Prey' is out of print, so if you were thinking of getting one you may want to hurry up before they get too hard to find and too expensive.

Rocky

Ricko
05-27-2013, 10:24 AM
My 101 was "Falconry for you" by Humphrey Ap Evans. I was 11 years old. It struck the match....