PDA

View Full Version : Intro to the Forum

tescobedo
01-23-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm a second year general living in GA. This year I'm trying my hand at a Cooper's Hawk. I've got a late (Dec. 31) trapped female. She's certainly not lacking 'personality'. If we can progress past the fear stage into trust I'll fly her at starlings and pigeons.

-Tony

`Chris L.
01-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Tony,
Welcome to the board. I enjoyed chatting with you last night about your our coops. I am sure we will have plenty to talk about in the near future [smilie=icon_pidu.gif] ..

PLease dont hesitate to post and I know we all look forward to hearing about the coops progress

again, welcome and I hope you enjoy the site

wesleyc6
01-23-2007, 10:05 AM
So glad you are here Tony [smilie=banana.gif]

lcfalconer
01-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey Tony,
Welcome to the forum! Can't wait to hear more about the Coops.

Wayne

tescobedo
01-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys!

When there's more to reort I'll be happy to do it. Right now she and I are having a war of intent. She intends to foot the hell out of my hands, arms, etc. and I don't intend to let it happen.

Just imagine if I didn't have her perched indoors [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

`Chris L.
01-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Tony,

love the sig and the avatar., nice job.

she would be wild if outdoors. My coops is not footy yet, but we will see as I drop he some more. I have her at 456 now and her response is pretty good

have a great day

everetkhorton
01-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Tony:
Welcome aboard. [smilie=banana.gif] Nice to have new blood. It is aways interesting when some one is just starting out with a new bird, [smilie=BangHead.gif] you can fill us in on the pit falls that you come across. [smilie=icon_hang.gif] If there are any.
Ev. Mi

tescobedo
01-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Tony,

love the sig and the avatar., nice job.

she would be wild if outdoors. My coops is not footy yet, but we will see as I drop he some more. I have her at 456 now and her response is pretty good

have a great day

Chris,

Thanks.

I had her on the glove a couple of hours after we talked. I had already given her the daily ration I use to drop her 10 grams per day. However, she stayed on the glove nicely, preened, and began to look for a tidbit in the glove. I decided, like we discussed, that I was going to put an end to feeding anything off of the glove. So, I promptly took her into the basement and loaded her lure with the remaining portion of quail so that she'd go to bed with visions of a lure in her head. I tossed it in front of her and she jumped off her perch without hesitation. So, she may not be continuing the slow methodical drop in weight, but I'll continue to create a habit/pattern.

Jimmy
01-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Hello Mr. Escobedo, haven't we met?

wesleyc6
01-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Wow, Tony, you got a "MR" out of Jimmy. [smilie=dontknow.gif]

tescobedo
01-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I believe we have Mr. Tompkins.

Now let's put an end to this Mr. thing before folks begin to think we're civilized.

`Chris L.
01-23-2007, 03:15 PM
I had her on the glove a couple of hours after we talked. I had already given her the daily ration I use to drop her 10 grams per day. However, she stayed on the glove nicely, preened, and began to look for a tidbit in the glove. I decided, like we discussed, that I was going to put an end to feeding anything off of the glove. So, I promptly took her into the basement and loaded her lure with the remaining portion of quail so that she'd go to bed with visions of a lure in her head. I tossed it in front of her and she jumped off her perch without hesitation. So, she may not be continuing the slow methodical drop in weight, but I'll continue to create a habit/pattern.

Yeah I agree, I have done the same as you.. no longer flying to the fist. I am flying to the lure and making her jump for a small tid bit from the lure. This practice for sure will help with making in on her and keep her away from my face [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif]

Jimmy
01-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Now let's put an end to this Mr. thing before folks begin to think we're civilized.

Those who know me, know better anyway .............

Baine
01-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Tony

Is your avatar a picture of your new cooper's?

tescobedo
01-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Tony

Is your avatar a picture of your new cooper's?

Baine,

No, it's a photo of a hag pulled out of a carpet warehouse in Dalton back in September. The photo doesn't do the eye color justice. It was a beautiful burnt orange.

The avatar I had previously was of a black sparrowhawk. It wasn't my photo and I couldn't credit it so I changed it.