PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Myers, Florida Falconers

jabomano
07-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Are there any practicing falconers in the Ft. Myers area? I have a house in the area and will be moving permanently at the end of this month (July 2013.)

Thanks.

Ray

Pyro01
07-09-2013, 10:33 PM
I don't know of any down there, but I have been to Ft. Myers several times, and it's an interesting little area. What type of bird you planning on flying down there?

Oh, and welcome to NAFEX! You'll find the community here to be a lot of fun, informative, and a great place to talk falconry.

jabomano
07-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Hi Chris.

Herein lies my quandary. I'm 62 years old and retired which means I have time but at this age I don't have unlimited time. I've been contemplating the sport for decades (have Beebe's book North American Falconry And Hunting Hawks and the Calif. Hawking Clubs Apprentice Study Guide) but in the past time restraints limited my crossover to the sport. I'd like to find a falconer in the Ft. Myers area to spend some time with and to go over the commitment and intricacies of the sport with me.

Ray

Tom Scheib
07-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Ray,

I was 66 when I took my test in Wisconsin. Unless you know something most of us don't, I think you'll have plenty of time to begin your trip down falconry lane, particularly the getting out and flying your bird part.

I spend half the year in Hernando Beach, quite a bit north of Ft Meyers area, but I know there are falconers in the Venice area. There are plenty of places to fly a redtail on game.

I encourage you to give 'er a go and best wishes.

Tyme2fly
07-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Just north of Tampa here. Welcome aboard