PDA

View Full Version : Harris Hawk spotted in Milton PA

DaffodilSpring2009
07-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Anyone in Pennsylvania missing a Harris Hawk? A coworker of mine had one in his yard a couple days ago. He lives in Milton. His wife took pictures of it, but then chased it off because it was harassing the songbirds they rehabilitate. She didn't know what it was. She got pretty close to it before it flew.

They saw it one day and haven't seen it since. It didn't have any leg straps on and they couldn't see a band.

I was just wondering if anyone was missing one, or if it was captured yet. I don't want it to suffer when winter comes.

Thanks,
Christy P.

DaffodilSpring2009
07-24-2013, 10:09 AM
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2881/9305702580_012a03af50.jpg

I hope this picture works. This is Harris's Hawk right? He showed me the picture yesterday and I had never seen one of these before, so I hit the bird books. Harris hawk is what I came up with.

DaffodilSpring2009
07-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Crap, I did read the rule about signing my name. Forgot to put it on the last post. I just joined today in hopes of finding out about this bird. I will be thinking about him/her.

Christy P.

broken feather
07-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Crap, I did read the rule about signing my name. Forgot to put it on the last post. I just joined today in hopes of finding out about this bird. I will be thinking about him/her.

Christy P. christy you got it right!!!
It looks to be a nice one!!! Someone is sick for sure!!

cindy
07-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks for posting this, I will share this with the our state club.

Ken S.
07-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Isn't this near Cheri? If someone has contact info for her that would probably be a good starting point. And if it's not her, she would probably want to know. I sent an email to an address I have for her with a link to this thread, but I don't have a phone number handy.

Christy P. - if you have a phone number or way for someone to contact you quickly in order to find more specific location information, might want to post that. And thank you for looking into this, could be very helpful for someone who's looking!

hawkstir
07-25-2013, 06:32 AM
Milton is about an hour south of me. I've posted a message and a link to this thread to some of the falconers I know in that area. Hopefully it will get back into the right hands soon.

DaffodilSpring2009
07-25-2013, 07:04 AM
Thanks for spreading the info about this bird.

I have permission from my coworker to post the street he lives on in Milton (bird was found in his yard). He lives on Shakespeare Ave. If you put that street and town into Google Maps you can get directions from anywhere you are.

I also received a private message from someone local who is willing to come out and try to catch the bird if it is seen again. I am giving his number to my coworker so he can call him up if the hawk returns.

xjturnerx
07-25-2013, 08:22 AM
If it can be trapped it should have a band number. Bird would be safer in someone's mews waiting on its owner than out running the streets like some sort of hoodlum

falcipiter
07-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Apparently, this bird was a breeder of Cheri's. Lost three weeks ago. We will be after it.

DaffodilSpring2009
07-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Yay! I hope your able to catch him. Is this a bird from Williamsport?

hawkstir
07-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Apparently, this bird was a breeder of Cheri's. Lost three weeks ago. We will be after it.
Best of luck to ya!

baywingsfalconry
07-25-2013, 01:23 PM
This is almost certainly one of my breeder Harris Hawks that escaped a few weeks ago. Anybody with a current sighting please call me asap and I will be right over to try and recover him.
He is greatly missed. My cell is 570-713-5442.
Thank you all for your postings and concern.
Cheri Heimbach
Baywings Falconry

Anyone in Pennsylvania missing a Harris Hawk? A coworker of mine had one in his yard a couple days ago. He lives in Milton. His wife took pictures of it, but then chased it off because it was harassing the songbirds they rehabilitate. She didn't know what it was. She got pretty close to it before it flew.

They saw it one day and haven't seen it since. It didn't have any leg straps on and they couldn't see a band.

I was just wondering if anyone was missing one, or if it was captured yet. I don't want it to suffer when winter comes.

Thanks,
Christy P.

baywingsfalconry
07-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Yay! I hope your able to catch him. Is this a bird from Williamsport?

No I live in rural Lewisburg area. He crossed the river but isn't far from home.

sevristh
07-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Good luck Cheri! Please let us know how it turns out.

baywingsfalconry
07-25-2013, 03:04 PM
will let you all know if I manage to locate him. talked with the person posting the picture and it was about a week ago, no sighting since.
Cheri Heimbach
Baywings Falconry
570-713-5442

chinhook11
07-27-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm in clearfield for a week,is that close?

Tom Scheib
07-28-2013, 08:05 AM
As I recall, Milton is maybe 100 miles due east on I-80 from Clearfield. Sat on I-80 a few years back for several hours near Milton..............really bad accident on east and west bound lanes of I-80 due to snow squall with 0 visability.