PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid (?) falcon found in Florida with anklets

Omnivore
08-14-2013, 10:28 PM
This falcon was found with a broken leg and taken to a veterinarian two days ago in Florida. I was in email contact with an employee at the office where it was taken and I offered to post a found ad. She thanked me and said that a falconer from a few hours away had already come down and taken it back with him to try to find the owner.

I thought he might be a NAFEX member and post a found ad, but apparently not so I figured I'd just toss this up in case someone here was missing their bird.

It's got a gold captive-bred band and I am under the impression that it's a juvenile Aplomado, but that could be wrong. If this is your bird or you know who's bird it is please let me know and I'll establish contact again.

http://i.imgur.com/fgaYQqo.jpg

PeteJ
08-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Its not an Aplo for sure. Looks to be maybe Barbary X Anatum or Barbary X Teita or perhaps a pure anatum, but looks small. The feet look unusually small, but perhaps its the photo?

keitht
08-15-2013, 02:08 AM
The angle the photo was shot throws the bird out of proportions. It makes its head look huge and its feet and body look small. One thing for sure- it's no aplomado.

falcondoc
08-25-2013, 10:30 PM
If its a USFWS band that is on it, then I would say it is a Barbary/Anatum hybrid.

dwilliamson
09-01-2013, 09:57 PM
The toes seem so thin, my first guess would be, it might be a merlin
crossed with a small peregrine type, perhaps.
With no weight given it is all guesswork. The leg must be broken higher up,
near the body..
But, if there is a captive breeders' band on it, WHY can't F&W just look up the breeders name?? - then ask him who it was sold to..
or are we putting these bands on for nothing....?
Hope someone posts further, to clear up this mystery...

rocgwp
09-02-2013, 12:16 AM
But, if there is a captive breeders' band on it, WHY can't F&W just look up the breeders name?? - then ask him who it was sold to..
or are we putting these bands on for nothing....?
Hope someone posts further, to clear up this mystery...

We thought similarly when we found a captive bred harris about a year ago. It didn't belong to any local falconers so we contacted the Feds to look up the band. Turns out, they don't have a searchable database of band numbers. They would have to look through all the paper forms by hand to find the matching band number. So yes they have the info, but it may not be in an accessible form. Turned out that the bird we found belonged to a zoo.

FredFogg
09-02-2013, 12:36 AM
We thought similarly when we found a captive bred harris about a year ago. It didn't belong to any local falconers so we contacted the Feds to look up the band. Turns out, they don't have a searchable database of band numbers. They would have to look through all the paper forms by hand to find the matching band number. So yes they have the info, but it may not be in an accessible form. Turned out that the bird we found belonged to a zoo.

I have said this before, there is no reason why there isn't a database of all captive bred falconry birds band numbers. At the end of each year, all breeders have to submit a Raptor Propagation Annual Report, which has to list all birds produced that were transferred with band numbers. All those band numbers along with species of birds could be so easily put into a database that is searchable. Nobody's name or information has to be displayed. It could be part of the Federal System now that we have to file 3-186's on, there could be a search function on there for band numbers, it then would display a "hit" when that number is found and then allow that person to send an email to the person that has the most current date for that band number and that email could be sent to that person's email address on file on the database with the contact information of the person that found the bird so they could get back to them. It is amazing how easy it is to join databases (the 3-186 one and the breeder one). If the government would like this, I would be glad to do it for them for a small fee! :D

Omnivore
09-02-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm sorry everyone, I have no followup on this falcon. As far as I know it is still with the falconer who came down and picked it up to care for it while seeking the owner. If I do find anything out I will let the thread know, but after a month and no one knowing someone missing this bird in Florida, or having recovered a falcon with a broken leg, it's looking like I'll never know the story.

On the bright side, I know that I know nothing about birds that aren't native to my area! Time to study up.

jmingram
09-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Doesn't look like an aplomado, more like a Taita or Barbary

SimoneBird
09-03-2013, 11:26 AM
I agree. Looks like a full barbary to me. At least he's ok...but someone must be looking for him??

hawkman1220
09-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Have you tried posting on the NAFA site or on raptorsnest.com?

Omnivore
09-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Mr. Englert,

good idea, unfortunately I am not a NAFA member (no license yet) but if someone who is wants to post the picture over there feel free (and if anyone does, my email is arielmorris@live.com if someone recognizes the bird.) Raptorsnest.com seems to be completely empty of missing or found ads.

hawkman1220
09-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Raptorsnest.com may be empty of lost/found ads but if you post it there, many falconers will see it. I don't understand your rationale for not posting it there.

FredFogg
09-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Raptorsnest.com may be empty of lost/found ads but if you post it there, many falconers will see it. I don't understand your rationale for not posting it there.

I go to Raptors Nest and look at what birds are for sale every few days but I will be honest, I never look at their lost birds section. I look on here or the NAFA website to see what has been lost or found. Here is a link to the Lost and Found (http://n-a-f-a.com/LandFReport.php) on the NAFA website.

Tanner
09-04-2013, 11:53 AM
It would help to re-name this thread to reflect that the bird in question is a barbary or hybrid thereof.

Didnt one of the Georgia guys lose a barbary or barbary x peregrine recently?

JRedig
09-04-2013, 02:02 PM
I go to Raptors Nest and look at what birds are for sale every few days but I will be honest, I never look at their lost birds section. I look on here or the NAFA website to see what has been lost or found.

That's because you didn't lose a bird...;)

Omnivore
09-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Mr. Englert,

I thought perhaps it was a defunct (or abandoned) webpage or that I was somehow seeing the wrong section; but really I was just being lazy and didn't want to have to create an account if nobody was going to be able to see it. I've registered now and and waiting for my confirmation so I can place the Found ad.

Mr. Fred,

thank you for the link, I thought the lost/found for NAFA was in their members-only section. I have tried several times now to submit the completed ad, but it tells me "No input file specified"?

Mr. Tanner,

thank you for the suggestion on the thread name change, I was actually unaware we could do that here! It seems a moderator has changed it, hopefully this will catch someone's attention better or spread the word.

To all who might know someone missing a falcon: I do not know where in Florida it was found (the gal didn't say and I didn't want to scare her off by asking for her specific location or personal information) but it is possible that this was near Tallahassee, Pensacola, Jacksonville, or the like- so if someone's missing a falcon in Georgia or Alabama I say send 'em the pic.

I wish I knew the name of the falconer it's with now, or at least his location. But again, I understand why she wouldn't just give somebody his name and address. I'm hoping someone will say "hey I know a guy missing that bird!" so I can tell her "I think I found the owner, here's his info, could you call back the falconer that came and got him?"

FredFogg
09-04-2013, 05:04 PM
That's because you didn't lose a bird...;)

Very true! frus)

FredFogg
09-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Mr. Fred,

thank you for the link, I thought the lost/found for NAFA was in their members-only section. I have tried several times now to submit the completed ad, but it tells me "No input file specified"?

Not sure why you got that message but your submissions went through as there are 3 of them out there now. I will delete 2 of them.

falcondoc
09-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Its not going to be a pure Barbary or pure Taita. It is immature, so its a 2013 model, and it appears to have a USFWS band on its leg. So it must be at least part peregrine. Pure Barbaries or other pure "exotics" dont have USFWS bands put on them. Its most likely a Barbary/Anatum or an Anatum/Barbary hybrid.

PeteJ
09-05-2013, 12:30 AM
There aren't many people that could make that combo, so I'm betting that its likely that Bill Meeker made it and sent it to someone in Florida and could probably put you in touch with them in five minutes.

Tanner
09-05-2013, 12:39 AM
Its not going to be a pure Barbary or pure Taita. It is immature, so its a 2013 model, and it appears to have a USFWS band on its leg. So it must be at least part peregrine. Pure Barbaries or other pure "exotics" dont have USFWS bands put on them. Its most likely a Barbary/Anatum or an Anatum/Barbary hybrid.

Hi Tim- I agree with you in principle but its worth noting that some breeders are putting usfws seamless bands on barbaries even though its no longer required. My current tiercel came with one for example, which I removed.

PeteJ
09-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi Tim- I agree with you in principle but its worth noting that some breeders are putting usfws seamless bands on barbaries even though its no longer required. My current tiercel came with one for example, which I removed.
Some guys will do it as an aid to record keeping, and in this case it probably could help to get the bird back to the owner if someone really wanted to figure it out.

Saluqi
09-05-2013, 09:02 AM
There aren't many people that could make that combo, so I'm betting that its likely that Bill Meeker made it and sent it to someone in Florida and could probably put you in touch with them in five minutes.

From the photo the band looks like a gold USFWS band, unless he's changed his protocol Meeker only uses a silver band with his initials, the year, and a number - I think that's what's on there, that's what my Barbary has on her leg.

PeteJ
09-05-2013, 11:43 AM
From the photo the band looks like a gold USFWS band, unless he's changed his protocol Meeker only uses a silver band with his initials, the year, and a number - I think that's what's on there, that's what my Barbary has on her leg.
He might do that on a pure Barbary Paul because its a full exotic. But, this bird in the picture doesn't look like a pure Barbary to me. I'm betting its an Barb/Anatum tiercel and those he has to use a USFWS band because the anatum side is covered by the MBTA and the USFWS will claim jurisdiction over it.

rkumetz
09-05-2013, 01:13 PM
I just emailed Meeker to see if he uses USFWS bands on hybrids and whether or not he sold one to someone in FL this year.

rkumetz
09-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Does anyone have the actual band number?

Omnivore
09-05-2013, 04:06 PM
When I first contacted the woman who posted the photo I introduced myself and offered to spread the word, then asked for more information about where it was found and for the number on the band if it could safely be gotten. When she replied telling me that someone had picked it up she did not tell me the band number. It would be really helpful here, but I guess they did not think to write it down...really wish she had given me more info.

falcondoc
09-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Pete and Tanner, Thanks for your info. I was not aware some of these birds (meaning pure exotics) could still get USFWS bands put on them. My regional office told me that not only do they not provide bands for these birds, they do not want them banded with their bands. I assumed that all the regional offices were giving out the same info. My bad. Its not the first time they have differed from region to region.