PDA

View Full Version : Alamosa Weather and What To Wear?

FredFogg
11-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Having never been to Alamosa, nor Colorado for that matter, what will be the highs and lows temps and what will I need to bring to wear while hunting? Last year I took my Filson double tin cloth chaps to Nebraska and ended up not needing them and pretty much just wore jeans. What is the terrrain like and are there briars or brush or is it pretty much open?

Lowachi
11-05-2013, 02:07 AM
chico sucks. unless a storm rolls in from the south, it's pretty nice. dry cold, thin air, sandy soil and some alkaloid. I've camped out there back in the early meets, not bad. stay outta the gator farm.

Dirthawking
11-05-2013, 02:29 AM
Weather in thaft part of CO can be, well, special. Warmish and sunny during the day, freezing at night. Next day, cold during the day, snowing, then not so cold at night. But yes. It is a dry cold. Dress in layers. Pull off as the day progresses, put on as day weans.

bobpayne
11-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Fred, Can't believe you started the thread,

The only rule ... never wear white after Labor day, it's considered a real FUBAR

FredFogg
11-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Fred, Can't believe you started the thread,

The only rule ... never wear white after Labor day, it's considered a real FUBAR

Bob, I watched Fashion Police the other day and they said that rule was no longer valid. :eek:

I do know that you aren't supposed to drink white liquor after the first Carolina football game, you are supposed to switch to bourbon and gin! LOL peacee

bobpayne
11-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Bob, I watched Fashion Police the other day and they said that rule was no longer valid. :eek:

I do know that you aren't supposed to drink white liquor after the first Carolina football game, you are supposed to switch to bourbon and gin! LOL peacee

Fred,
you need to update, can't figure out why you being computer whiss bang
(thanks for all you do helping NAFA)
haven't updated the about me section of this forum , it makes no mention of your interest in high fashion. :D

I don't care what they say, white after Labor day except when used as camo , is just wrong.

FredFogg
11-05-2013, 08:43 AM
I meant to say bourbon and scotch!

Not sure I want to give out too many details in my profile, somebody might steal my identity! Wait, nobody would want my identity, I should be ok then! LOL

NMHighPlains
11-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Weather in thaft part of CO can be, well, special. Warmish and sunny during the day, freezing at night. Next day, cold during the day, snowing, then not so cold at night. But yes. It is a dry cold. Dress in layers. Pull off as the day progresses, put on as day weans.

I'm 2 h south of Alamosa. What Mario said is good advice. Me, I'm going to be prepared for sub-zero temps as I'd rather be warm than cold.

Nebraska was strange last year and it could've very well been utterly freezing, like it was last time I was there (the first year we had the meet there). It was so bitterly cold that year that I went to Cabela's and bought more clothes. I wore all those clothes driving home (Idaho, at the time) and I still nearly froze to death in my 1980 Toyota with numerous "ventilation ports".

raptrlvr
11-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Fred, this is a shot of the Alamosa area. Alamosa is about 15 miles towards the top portion of this picture where the sun is shining. Lots of wide open flat sage brush land. Can be very cold at night and really nice during the day unless a storm rolls in. The town doesn't have a whole lot of places to eat, but, my wife and I really enjoyed the San Louis brewery which I am sure will be a very popular place.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/_546_zpsb69d1151.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/raptrlvr/media/_546_zpsb69d1151.jpg.html)

Jahkristjanfari
11-17-2013, 01:50 AM
My family is from there, so I've experienced Alamosa in just about every weather extreme over the last 31 years...

Sunny and warm during the day, absolutely freezing at night. Remember, you're at 7000+ feet. Jeans and a two layers up top (beanie just in case) should be good for the week. I've never seen snow on thanksgiving in Alamosa, it's usually sunny and in the 50s, however plan on high teens at night

Jahkristjanfari
11-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Also, leave the brush chaps at home. You won't need them.

raptrlvr
11-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Just looked at the weather extended forecast for Alamosa. Next week is supposed to have a high of 47 degree's during the day and 15 degree's at night. Snow flurries on Monday, but, sun for the rest of the week.

FredFogg
11-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Just looked at the weather extended forecast for Alamosa. Next week is supposed to have a high of 47 degree's during the day and 15 degree's at night. Snow flurries on Monday, but, sun for the rest of the week.

I bought a couple pair of long johns at Wally World to bring with me, not sure if I will need them or not but better safe than sorry and with temps in the teens in the mornings, sounds like I might need them.

I just checked the weather for Amarillo and it is supposed to rain on Thursday when we will be arriving, I hope it clears off enough for us to get a couple jack chases in the afternoon. Supposed to be nice Friday and Saturday and we will be heading up to Alamosa on Sunday.

raptrlvr
11-18-2013, 06:01 PM
I'll be there late Thursday afternoon, but, no plans on hawking until Friday. Yeah, love hawking in a little rain and mud.

falcipiter
11-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Fred,
Take a bit of advice since you are coming from the East:
Get and use lip balm a lot! And drink a lot of water. Your body will not be use to the high altitude and dry climate. Cracked lips and cramps are painful and lipstick and water are easy preventatives.
Now there is no way to protect you from the bad puns or badly worded insults and for a few sheckles I bought you stolen computer and I now have your life. Youre right, no one wants that info!
See you there next week, ole friend

Hawkmom
11-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Was there in 1985 NAFA meet. Bring your warmest winter clothes. Chaps, wool warm field pants (Johnson wool pants came in really handy). www.johnsonwoollenmills.com. Wool socks Duofold long johns, wool socks, Sorrells to keep your feet warm, etc.

Weather can be very cold to almost early fall like. Be prepared.

qball
11-18-2013, 10:35 PM
I would bring everything from Bermuda shorts to mukluks. Long undies for the drive home (in case you go off the road in the perennial NAFA blizzard and don't want to have to eat your traveling companion)

Lowachi
11-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Was there in 1985 NAFA meet. Bring your warmest winter clothes. Chaps, wool warm field pants (Johnson wool pants came in really handy). www.johnsonwoollenmills.com (http://www.johnsonwoollenmills.com). Wool socks Duofold long johns, wool socks, Sorrells to keep your feet warm, etc.

Weather can be very cold to almost early fall like. Be prepared.

85 was Lamar

FredFogg
11-19-2013, 08:11 AM
85 was Lamar

84 and 85 was Lamar!

Roper
11-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Nov
21 40% rain hi 37 low 15
22 20% rain hi 41 low 10
23 20% rain hi 41 low 9
24 40% rain hi 46 low 16
25 20% rain hi 45 low 27
26 sunny hi 42 low 28
27 sunny hi 39 low 27
28 sunny hi 42 low 25 thanksgiving day .
winds are stated at under 10 mph from what I have seen
hope that helps ..

qball
11-25-2013, 12:43 PM
I would bring everything from Bermuda shorts to mukluks. Long undies for the drive home (in case you go off the road in the perennial NAFA blizzard and don't want to have to eat your traveling companion)

I rest my case ;)