PDA

View Full Version : New from Alabama

Matt-Hardwick
03-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Hello there everyone. I am a pre-apprentice from Alabama. I'm looking at trying to get an apprenticeship this fall. I'm a senior in high school right now, so I am hoping that the extra time that college brings will give me more time to enter this awesome sport.

I saw that there were a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum, and I'm definitely interested in getting to talk with falconers because that is where I've learned almost everything I know about it from.

Bryant Tarr
03-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi Matt,

Welcome aboard (welc)

So...where is this college that is going to give you "extra time" for falconry ;)? Not to be discouraging, but falconry requires some stability at least in terms of a place to house the bird, and college years often mean dorms, apartments, etc. However, for a determined person these hurdles can be overcome! I went to school in my home town and housed my hawk at my mom's house when I was in college. Of course, I never took a class after 2:00 pm so I could go hawking every day and this resulted in a 6-year plan for my degree! Be warned!

everetkhorton
03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Matt:
(welc) to the site. Noah is in collage so he would be one to talk to. You better have some good time management skill if you want to take up this sport.

Jimmy
03-04-2008, 04:59 PM
(welc) Matt.
You should have been at the meet in Echo Alabama this past weekend. You could have met some locals and got a good taste of falconry. We had a great time, and there was plenty of game.

Matt-Hardwick
03-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm going to Auburn University in Alabama. I recently attended a falconry meet in Echo Alabama, and I met a couple of falconers from auburn who already suggested that I could keep my mews at their house. I don't think time management will be a problem, because I can schedule classes for afternoons and wake up early enough to hunt before they start.

Anyways, yeah, I realized that there was going to be the problem of where to keep the mews and weathering area, so that was like my first question to the two guys I talked to who are students at Auburn currently. I have a stable plan as far as where I am living, but there is no place there to keep a mews or weathering area, so I was desperately trying to find someone to help me out with that or at least finding a place where I might have more flexibility with that.

Thanks for the welcome.

Matt-Hardwick
03-04-2008, 05:06 PM
I hunted with you if you are Jimmy that owns two hunting dogs (Otis and Copper).

We saw 2 rabbits and 2 squirrels caught with your hawks, and you got pissed at Ross Spafford about some stuff with his hawk.

Jimmy
03-04-2008, 05:07 PM
That's me....... :D:D:D:D
But only one of the rabbits were mine. The other was caught by Jesse's bird.

Matt-Hardwick
03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Ah I must have just assumed that they were all three yours. I saw a ton of birds from a bunch of people, and it was kinda hard for me to keep up with it all.

Those were amazing hunts, by the way.

Sentiax
03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Hey all! I was also with Matt on the trip to Echo, I'm Chase. I also hunted with you Jimmy. And yea that's probably one of the most awesome experiences of my life, hunting with you guys that is. I can't wait to get started, and sort everything out, find a sponsor etc. I dunno if you remember which ones we were, Kent was another guy with us, and he'll probably join the forum once we tell him about it. Thanks for letting us tag along, and providing so much info, I learned a whole lot just by hanging with you guys. I'll be posting a bit on this forum as well and checking other posts and trying to learn as much as I can.

Lunaries
03-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi there!

I'm really surprised at the number of Falconers in Alabama. I didn't expect it to be that great of a state in anything...toungeout But maybe I'm just biased against it from living in Dothan for a while. Birmingham is a beautiful city, and I'm actually enjoying living here. Anyways, I'm also trying to get everything ready for being an Apprentice and going to college, which is going to be tons and tons and tons of fun, you know, between studying unto two AM and trying to hunt a bird too...but hey. More fun than spending that 'extra' time doing something silly like sleeping.

Good luck to you!