PDA

View Full Version : Hey

Jordan
03-06-2008, 04:24 AM
Hey, well I live in Arizona. I'm very interested to get into falconry. I'm reading as much as I can before I look into a sponsor and such. If anyone has any other website that has a lot of info please list them. Any info. will help. Thanks

Jordan.

Bodarc
03-06-2008, 04:30 AM
(welc) Jordan.

http://www.themodernapprentice.com/index.htm

Chris L.
03-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Welcome Jordan,
good luck with your falconry adventure. There is some good info contained within this forum. My best advice is find a local falconer(s) and get in the field with them. Nothing beats seeing it first hand.

again Welcome

everetkhorton
03-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Jordan
(welc)

Jordan
03-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks. Hopefully I will be able to find a sponsor

sharptail
03-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks. Hopefully I will be able to find a sponsor

Jordan, you will, more than likely need to impress a potential sponsor with what you have already learned and by demonstrating your dedication and reliabiality before most will even consider taking you on. Many sponsors now, are requiring a contract to make sure that apprentices live up to standards and there word.

FredFogg
03-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Jordan, you will, more than likely need to impress a potential sponsor with what you have already learned and by demonstrating your dedication and reliabiality before most will even consider taking you on. Many sponsors now, are requiring a contract to make sure that apprentices live up to standards and there word.

Jordon,

Jeff is correct and to give you an example, way back when I decided I wanted to get into this sport, I contacted the guy who ended up being my sponser. He invited me out to his house and we chatted. He then told me 3 books to get and read and then get back to him. I read all 3 books in one week and called him back. He then asked if I would go out and beat the briars and brush with him that weekend. I did it many, many times and he then told me he would sponser me. He later told me that he figured I was pretty serious about the sport when he found out I had read those 3 books in only a week. So you definately have to show someone you are really, really serious about doing this and that you just don't think it is cool to have a hawk!

Again, good luck,

Jordan
03-08-2008, 04:12 AM
Well once I have the cash to buy those books I'll read them before I look for a sponsor. Would you recommend taking the exam before to?

sharptail
03-08-2008, 05:39 AM
Use your library to find what books you can and save some bucks. Get a copy of the laws for your state. The game dept. should have an info packet they send out on falconry. Find out if your state club has a web site. Make some contacts and find out what books to read.

FredFogg
03-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Jordon,

Check this site out, it will help you some!

http://www.azfalconersassoc.org/info.html

wesleyc6
03-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Chris and others,
I think we should take some of the info on this post, and make it a generic post and call it something like, "So you want to be a falconer, what's next" and make it sticky and people can add onto it as we go. I think we have seen someone come on board every few weeks that wants to get started. As time goes on people will stop wanting to type up new responses I think.

What do you all think?

Bryant Tarr
03-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Yes! Good idea.

kimmerar
03-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Good Idea