View Full Version : Books on Quarry

Flight
03-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if any of you have stumbled upon any good literature about the quarry we pursue commonly in falconry.

Books or literature with information on habitat, breeding seasons, locations, habits, populations, etc. would be awesome.

Species of interest would be

Rabbits and hares of all species* Particularly of interest to me
Ducks
Quail
Upland game birds
and any other species that you may think of.

Much Appreciated

keitht
03-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Extensive information on rabbit and hares:

Dirt Hawking---A Rabbit & Hare Hawker's Guide by Joe Roy III

https://www.northwoodsfalconry.com/products-page/books/dirt-hawking-a-rabbit-hare-hawkers-guide-by-joe-roy-iii-bv486/

Flight
03-17-2014, 04:00 PM
That looks like just the ticket for rabbits, will definitely have to check that out!

broken feather
03-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Mark,????crazyy

Flight
03-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Mark,????crazyy

Yes Russ... I know you have plenty of rabbits. However, there's nothing wrong with trying to understand your quarry, who knows we might be able to find some more fields with some additional knowledge! toungeout

Besides, it's summer what else are we supposed to do? lol

broken feather
03-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Mark, your bird had this signstupd

Flight
03-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Mark, your bird had this signstupd

Well he had that sign... but yours still does!
toungeoutbox2

Yeomanfalconer
03-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if any of you have stumbled upon any good literature about the quarry we pursue commonly in falconry.

Books or literature with information on habitat, breeding seasons, locations, habits, populations, etc. would be awesome.

Ducks
Quail
Upland game birds

Much Appreciated

Joe Roys "Duck Hawking" is very detailed, for the California duck hawker, but it applies anywhere. Mike Connely's chapter in "Game Hawking at Its Very Best" is still my favorite.

Yeomanfalconer
03-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Hey Guys,

Ducks
Quail
Upland game birds

Much Appreciated

If hare hawking is of particular interest there is much. Try to get a hold of Hawk Chalks from the seventies. Longmire and Pache really lead the way with hunting jacks in the west.

Flight
03-19-2014, 05:52 PM
If hare hawking is of particular interest there is much. Try to get a hold of Hawk Chalks from the seventies. Longmire and Pache really lead the way with hunting jacks in the west.

Thanks Eric,

I will try to source those for sure!

americansharpy
03-31-2015, 07:56 PM
I had collected a ton of info on the starling and house sparrow....

Pedioecetes
04-01-2015, 12:39 AM
Grouse of the World by Paul Johnsgard is an outstanding resource on the life history of grouse.

mainefalconer
04-01-2015, 07:58 AM
I recognize that there aren't exactly tons of us that pursue woodcock, but the best book I've ever read on them was written by an author named, Guy De La Valdene, and it's titled, "Making Game"