PDA

View Full Version : James Campbell Bio

roscogruen
03-26-2014, 09:17 PM
i'm looking for information on James Campbell. the author of treatise ..... (1773). birth, death, location, bio, etc.

and a summary of his book, the treatise.

i don't find anything on wikipedia

Lowachi
03-26-2014, 10:59 PM
contact Billl Barbour

roscogruen
03-27-2014, 12:06 AM
do you have a contact for Bill? or a nafex.net UserId?

roscogruen
03-27-2014, 04:59 PM
it is possible a Alex Gillies wrote the preface and/or introduction.

the publisher was possibly a print shop that no longer exists.

our public library can not find information about this author or publisher/print shop.

if anyone has information on this author, please let me know.

mainefalconer
03-27-2014, 07:59 PM
A Treatise of Modern Falconry by James Campbell, Esq.
Edited with a New Postscript by Walter A. Huston
Reprinted by Western Sporting Publications in 2003

I can get you more information later on (if Bill hasn't already chimed in)
but I've gotta run as I'm literally about to dial in for a teleconference call.

roscogruen
03-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Thank you both.

Scott, Bill looked for information but hasn't found anything new that i'm aware of. information is scant on this Campbell. i'm recording an audio edition of the book for librivox.org. i'm having a hard time of it, actually. Anyhow, information i get will go to librivox and into wikipedia, i think.

I have only one lead - a local librarian found a copy on google books with a hand-written note about an Alex Gillies writing the prefix. the publisher seems to have been more of a print shop and i think it is no longer in business.

Curt

roscogruen
04-08-2014, 01:12 PM
how about anything on Edmund Bert? Arthue's book has a part about the author but it only paints a picture of the place he was in when the book was printed. the book published in 1890, i think, says little was known of him but a varvel (swivel i think) was found with his friends name on it.

looking for year of birth and something about him. something that could go into wikipedia or something already in something like that. i can credit the person who gives me this info. it will go into librivox.org.

roscogruen
04-08-2014, 01:13 PM
correction: argue's book. not arthue's

GONEHAWKN
04-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Curt, i have not forgotten about ya. I have yet to hear back from the person i contacted about Campbell. As for Edmund Bert. All i can tell you is what is available in Swift's BA2. Bert is from Romford, Essex, England. No other info is offered.

roscogruen
04-09-2014, 01:51 AM
Bill,
that is all i have, too. he signs his note to that effect. thine to thy power, from my house in coullier row near romsford, england. i'm not sure if he said if he was married, not that this is important. if the mistresse or ____ of the house is about, i assure her the bird won't mute on the floor whilst i'll lick it with thyne owne toungue. or something like that.
the Campbell book is uploaded. just waiting corrections from the proof listener then it will be on its way to the public domain. if you have stuff about either of these authors, i believe there is a place to give credit to you.

have you heard or read, "the gamekeeper?" I've only listened to it off librivox.org. the reader is great!

roscogruen
04-25-2014, 03:17 AM
"Treatise of Modern Faulconry," 1773, is a practical one, but is disfigured by a long and ridiculous preface, for which he was not responsible (see note on p. 34).

pg 34: "The author of this book was falconer to the Earl of Eglinton, and submitting it to the inspection of the Rev. A. Gillies, was told that an early account of hawking should be prefixed. He could only speak from practice, the other artfully, knowing little of the practice but something of the history, offered to supply the deficiency. Hence the preface in ridicule of "The Origin and Progress of Language " then newly published, and a fabulous account of hawking by the Emperor Arambombamboberus with Trebizonian Eagles on the alleged authority of a MS. in the Grand Sultan's library. This bantering of the wit produced the worst effect for the author, who instead of securing a rapid sale, found himself possessed of a mass of waste paper. (Haslewood, Introduction to the Book of St. Albans, 1810, p. 29). But what he himself wrote is reliable." (summary from BIBLIOTHECA ACCIPITRARIA, Sir Ralph Sadler of Everley, Wilts. 1891).

first question: is there a better summary in the Book of St. Albans, 1810 referred to above? the above summary leaves out the cry for justice for people who have tails and the method employed to produce a hawk that would take down a deer. heck, there is no mention of what is contained the actual falconry portion of the book.

second question: did Campbell write the Introduction? it seemed to me that in the last part of the Introduction it was Campbell writing. my thought was that if a Rev. A. Gilles had written anything in the book it was only the preface and not the introduction.

roscogruen
04-25-2014, 06:21 PM
off the original topic - i have found several errors in the Bibliotheca accipitraria. it seems as if he author, Sir Ralph Sadler, hadn't even read Campbell's book.

a huge amount of work without quality invested is trash.

Tony James
04-25-2014, 06:44 PM
One thing I find interesting with regard to Campbell's 'Treatise', is the link to Ronald Stevens' 'Observations' published nearly two centuries later.
I assume, rightly or wrongly, Stevens had read Campbell, as not only did he adopt the 'Modern Falconry' mantle, but also some of Campbell's less common practices, notably training his falcons to home.

I've never managed to read the entire introduction to Campbell's book of 1773, because, frankly, I was irritated by what I did read.
Western Sporting reprinted it some years ago and mercifully left that part out.

Regards,

Tony.

Tony James
04-25-2014, 06:50 PM
off the original topic - i have found several errors in the Bibliotheca accipitraria. it seems as if he author, Sir Ralph Sadler, hadn't even read Campbell's book.

a huge amount of work without quality invested is trash.

I think you might be getting in a muddle with this.

Regards,

Tony.

GONEHAWKN
04-25-2014, 11:49 PM
Tony,
I reached out to Tony Huston for some insight on this, but have yet to hear back from him. I know he is quite busy at the moment. Curt, Huston wrote the intro to WSP's reprint of Campbell.

roscogruen
04-26-2014, 01:12 AM
for my purposes, i think i have all i need unless someone has the birth and death dates and places. places of residences would be cool, too. falconer to archibald earl of eglintoune in scotland.

if someone has more information they'd like to put in the public domain, feel free to PM me with it.

i wouldn't trust the bibliotheca too far. someone alerted me that Sadler's summary didn't sound right after i had posted it. I'm glad i replaced it with my own before it was published.

does anyone know if dog skin treated with alum makes strong leather for falconry implements? page 130 of this book.

there are many more books that can be read and shared in the public domain. it helped me to get over a fear of reading out loud. just sign up at librivox.org forums and start a new project. an admin will help get a proof reader. it is easy except for the editing.

corona
04-26-2014, 02:17 PM
https://archive.org/details/atreatisemodern00campgoog

Tony James
04-26-2014, 03:07 PM
for my purposes, i think i have all i need unless someone has the birth and death dates and places. places of residences would be cool, too. falconer to archibald earl of eglintoune in scotland.

if someone has more information they'd like to put in the public domain, feel free to PM me with it.

i wouldn't trust the bibliotheca too far. someone alerted me that Sadler's summary didn't sound right after i had posted it. I'm glad i replaced it with my own before it was published.

does anyone know if dog skin treated with alum makes strong leather for falconry implements? page 130 of this book.

there are many more books that can be read and shared in the public domain. it helped me to get over a fear of reading out loud. just sign up at librivox.org forums and start a new project. an admin will help get a proof reader. it is easy except for the editing.

Curt,

you might be interested to know that Sir Ralph Sadler was flying hawks 200 years before Campbell's book was published.

The internet eh?

Regards,

Tony.

roscogruen
04-27-2014, 10:53 PM
tony,
thank you. i referenced the wrong person as the author. i'm getting this off of an online text version at https://archive.org. harting published the book in 1891, right?

roscogruen
05-16-2014, 10:14 PM
here is my attempt at reading the campbell book. i was just learning to edit. wish i could redo at least the intro.

https://archive.org/details/treatise_modern_falconry_1404_librivox