PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Northern Virginia

MizBrown
03-08-2008, 12:42 PM
I've always been interested in hunting with a hawk, but time, money, and location were problems in the past. I'd nearly 60 and am arranging to rent a place where I have permission to keep a hawk as long as I was appropriately licensed and the mews fit in the space in front of the carriage house I'd be renting (not sure it's enough space for an 8 by 8 mews, but will see if I can renegotiate for the fenced back yard if the mews can be built to come down in the summer). The property is 2.5 miles from work so I could come home for lunch and my place of work allows telecommuting up to three days a week.

I've got a ten year old Border Terrier who went with me to the Virginia Falconers' Association field meet in Winchester last month and who picked up quickly that he wasn't supposed to bother the birds (he was in the meeting room with them). He got slightly nervous when I held a hybrid on my fist, but not egregiously so. I'd like to hunt with him, or a younger Border Terrier, and a bird, especially after seeing what beating the bushes for rabbits was like.

A friend said, "Don't wait for retirement. Do the apprenticeship as soon as you can."

Pictures of the meet here:

http://pics.livejournal.com/mouseworks/gallery/00029sdb

Bryant Tarr
03-08-2008, 12:53 PM
(welc)

There is not time like the present! You've found a good site, post often and ask questions.

And sign you name to your posts :D

Good to have you here.

sierrabravofour
03-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm new here as well!

I have always had some excuse for not moving forward.

Not anymore. Life is short, might as well do what you love!

I've spent the last two days reading about 70% of the posts here.

All I can say so far is this site seems to be populated with generally true and excellent people, and there is a wealth of great information here!

everetkhorton
03-08-2008, 10:59 PM
(welc) to the site. We have lots of fun and poke fun at each other once in a while. It is all in fun. Lots of good info out there. Good luck and have fun.