PDA

View Full Version : The Boke of St. Albans

MrBill
05-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Is there a translation of this book into "Modern English?" If so, do you know where I can find it. Thanks.

Bill Boni

goshawkr
05-28-2014, 11:16 PM
Is there a translation of this book into "Modern English?" If so, do you know where I can find it. Thanks.

Bill Boni

I had never seen the Boke of St Albans before, and when I saw your post I thought "I have a fair talent at language, how tough can that be to read??" I found a copy on line, and spent a few minutes picking through it. I think I need some Rum for my headache. :D

MrBill
05-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Geoff,

I'm with you 100%. When I was in college I had to struggle through reading Beowulf in Old English. What a challenge that was. Actually, it got somewhat easier as the semester rolled on, but I have no desire to put myself through that again.

Bill Boni

Tony James
05-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Hi Bill,

I have a copy of the 1881 facsimile reprint, and find it incredibly difficult to read.

If you discover a version transcribed into modern type, if not modern spelling, I'd love to know.

Best wishes,

Tony.

MrBill
05-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Hi Bill,

I have a copy of the 1881 facsimile reprint, and find it incredibly difficult to read.

If you discover a version transcribed into modern type, if not modern spelling, I'd love to know.

Best wishes,

Tony.

I'll definitely let you know, Tony, but it's not looking good.

Bill Boni

MrBill
05-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Actually, I just noticed the date of this book and it is not Old English; it is Middle English, but early enough to fool me, which isn't saying a whole lot. But, didn't want to mislead anyone.

Bill Boni

goshawkr
05-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Actually, I just noticed the date of this book and it is not Old English; it is Middle English, but early enough to fool me, which isn't saying a whole lot. But, didn't want to mislead anyone.

Bill Boni

As Tony said, its not that the language is so tough, its that typeface used. That combined with the spelling oddities and old antique wording makes it tough to sloggg through. At least, that was the case with the PDF version of the book that I found online.

rkumetz
05-29-2014, 02:32 PM

Bill Boni

Can't be worse than the "English" they use on the International Falconry Forum site. frus)

MrBill
05-29-2014, 06:04 PM
As Tony said, its not that the language is so tough, its that typeface used.

Did Tony actually say this? :-)

Bill Boni

goshawkr
05-29-2014, 06:18 PM

Bill Boni

Guess not....

cvandermerwe
05-30-2014, 10:52 AM

Best wishes,

Tony.

Bill Boni

Guess not....

Nah, looks like he did..."modern type, if not modern spelling". Of course, everything we say is open to interpretation. :)

Regards,

Tony James
06-02-2014, 08:12 AM
Guess not....

But you knew what I was trying to say Geoff;)

Best wishes,

Tony.