PDA

View Full Version : Plans for 2008?

Shortwingn
03-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Is anyone thinking about new imprints this year?

With a little luck a new hen Finnish bird will be here this summer.

wesleyc6
03-20-2008, 11:15 AM
I am looking to have a NA tiercel gos here this summer.

Falcon Boy
03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Might be getting a new pointy-winged thing, waiting to figure out what i'm doing this summer/fall in terms of work and school.

Other than that Gooser and I will hopefully continue to chase around the cottontails.

Bodarc
03-21-2008, 06:15 AM
Is anyone thinking about new imprints this year?

With a little luck a new hen Finnish bird will be here this summer.

Way to go Erik !!!! clapp

Can't wait to hear about this one and get your impression of a comparison.

Chris L.
03-21-2008, 07:21 AM
Erik,
Congrats. Keep us posted on the imprinting. I look forward to hearing about her

goshawks00
03-21-2008, 08:28 AM
New sharpie and possibly another coop.
Barry

Joby
03-21-2008, 09:33 AM
I've got a new FHH coming in early August, I'll hopefully be trapping a PFRT this fall, and I've got another little mini-doxie coming in from Teddy sometime this summer to add to the pack.
-Joe

GyrXPeals
03-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Barry

Me too Barry, planning to go up to Minnesota to see Greg and Tasha and pull a female Sharpie.
ATB,
Jeff

Chris L.
03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Barry

.Barry, sounds like you have a great year to look forward to,(dog)

Keep us posted

goshawks00
03-21-2008, 10:36 AM
forgot to mention, THERE WILL BE a merlin this fall.

FredFogg
03-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Definately flying the coops this spring, might pull a sharpie this May, might trap a female red-tail this September, might trap a merlin this October, all depending on the previous! :D

jfseaman
03-23-2008, 03:22 AM
So many possibilities.

Was considering a male coops during the eyas season or early passage season. If I get bird abatement work, this will change.

Definitely a redtail for NAFA.

Chris L.
03-23-2008, 08:07 AM
forgot to mention, THERE WILL BE a merlin this fall.
Barry, i am with you on that one :D.

Here is something I will be flying for the 2008 season. Here are some pics of me flying her this weekend. Nothing in the bag but got to see some good flights. She got some good elevation, i was pretty happy with her performance

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/IMG_0471.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/IMG_0475.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/IMG_0487.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/IMG_0476.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/IMG_0493.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/IMG_0492.jpg

This will be fun for me during 2008..

John
03-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Pretty bird. I've only gotten to see a few fly but they are such cool little guys to watch.

Chris L.
03-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Pretty bird. I've only gotten to see a few fly but they are such cool little guys to watch.

John, it blows me away to watch her hover. She is so quick. She made some good flights but didnt connect. This is my first long wing and my first micro bird ( i think she falls under micro?) Anyways, I really am enjoying flying her and getting to know her. If you ever get a chance to fly one they are a blast for sure.

GyrXPeals
03-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Chris, you'd be hard pressed to find a prettier bird than a Columbarius. Watching those little guys working a flock of BB's is poetry in motion.
To say you're going to have fun this season is an understatement. Watch out, they're easy to get addicted to.
ATB,
Jeff

wesleyc6
03-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Sharp looking bird. I think Merlins are amazing. I have only seen a few fly myself and one of those got sucked up by a coop while I was watching. I got to see Eric Edward's merlins once and they were pretty cool. One of those birds I always wanted to fly.

kimmerar
03-23-2008, 10:59 AM
clapp All right Chris. She's pretty. Can't wait to hear more about her. You'll really get to put that camera to the test.:D

Chris L.
03-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Chris, you'd be hard pressed to find a prettier bird than a Columbarius. Watching those little guys working a flock of BB's is poetry in motion.
To say you're going to have fun this season is an understatement. Watch out, they're easy to get addicted to.
ATB,
Jeff

Jeff,
I cant agree more. I am starting to see what everyone is talking about with these guys. I have never seen one fly before and each time we go out she blows my mind at her speed and flight.

clapp All right Chris. She's pretty. Can't wait to hear more about her. You'll really get to put that camera to the test.:D

Kim,
Thank you. Yeah, i went through about 50 pictures to get those. She is too damn quick :D

Rage
03-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Hopefully for me a Female eyass gos. I have been doing a ton on studying and getting as ready as possible. Last season with my PMRT turned out incredible and i am hoping for the same and better next year.

Chris L.
03-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Hopefully for me a Female eyass gos. I have been doing a ton on studying and getting as ready as possible. Last season with my PMRT turned out incredible and i am hoping for the same and better next year.

keep us posted on this. Your going to have a great time imprinting.

idbirdman
03-27-2008, 12:44 PM
I will be imprinting a Gyrken and a tiercel Barbary. And if all goes well I will be flying a passage golden eagle. Just working on the paperwork now. Thanks Stephen

hawkstir
03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Probably will go birdless until next falls trapping season. Do some maintence on the mew, work on the honey do list. Going to build a new bownet, build a swedish goshawk trap, and maybe a coopers trap.

I have seen a pair of Kestrels up by the nestbox. Last night I had a female flying around out front. Thought it might be KC come home, couldn't tell for sure, but is a pleasant thought. Don't think I'll bother with imprinting another Kbird. confusedd

John
03-27-2008, 01:09 PM
I'll just be moulting out the gos, but I'm trying to talk my friend into raising and tame hacking a female coops this year. After reading all the super info on here about it and feeding it to him (he's computer challenged) I've got the bug in him. I'm already hearing the coops that nest behind my house each year so I may be climbing to pull a bird for him.

outhawkn
03-29-2008, 08:45 AM
one gyrkin and one gyrfalcon

PeregrinesUK
03-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Hopefully imprinting a home bred Peregrine (fingers crossed) and a possibly a new Tiercel Goshawk both will be flown at game ... Mike

Takasho
03-29-2008, 09:39 PM
If I get the upgrade to general then it'll be a merlin, if not it'll be a kestrel. Apartments don't allow for anything much bigger! Looking forward to flying again either way.

sharptail
03-31-2008, 07:05 PM
I will be imprinting a Gyrken and a tiercel Barbary. And if all goes well I will be flying a passage golden eagle. Just working on the paperwork now. Thanks Stephen
Steven,
Where are you going to get your Jerkin?

sharptail
03-31-2008, 07:06 PM
one gyrkin and one gyrfalcon
Bill, who will you buy your gyrs from?

idbirdman
03-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey Jeff, I am getting my Gyrkin from Mathew Kirkwood in Indiana. He is a real nice guy and makes some real nice birds. I am getting one that I can imprint and turn into a hat bird. I think that it will be a nice addition. How about you? What are you going to be flying? Stephen

sharptail
04-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey Jeff, I am getting my Gyrkin from Mathew Kirkwood in Indiana. He is a real nice guy and makes some real nice birds. I am getting one that I can imprint and turn into a hat bird. I think that it will be a nice addition. How about you? What are you going to be flying? Stephen

I also have put in a bid for a Jerkin. It is not however yet a done deal. It depends on what price I am quoted.

Are you getting one of color? Will he for hawking as well?

What do you plan to hawk with your new Goldie? Let me guess, Pronghorn and Coyote.

RTJim
04-01-2008, 10:08 PM
After my FHH was electrocuted...i just have to have at least one FHH again.....Pic of her on her last catch.....jm

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/nafex_2007/20080321_00380-1.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/nafex_2007/20080321_00380.jpg

After my FHH was electrocuted...i just have to have at least one FHH again.....Pic of her on her last catch.....jm

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/nafex_2007/20080321_00380-1.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/nafex_2007/20080321_00380.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/nafex_2007/20080321_00386.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/nafex_2007/20080321_00386.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/nafex_2007/20080321_00399.jpg

Lunaries
04-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Well, hopefully within the next few weeks I'll be picking up a parrot egg to 'imprint' this summer, practice taking care of a baby bird, even if they are completely different.

What, you mean that doesn't count as 'plans'? toungeout Sure it does. crazyy

outhawkn
04-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Bill, who will you buy your gyrs from?

Jeff
These two are coming from Bob Hollister

idbirdman
04-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Hey Bill, Bob makes some real nice birds. I think you will be happy. And if you need to find a home for them, then I will just move some birds out of a chamber for yours ;-) Stephen

outhawkn
04-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Hey Bill, Bob makes some real nice birds. I think you will be happy. And if you need to find a home for them, then I will just move some birds out of a chamber for yours ;-) Stephen

Stephen my man, you sir are indeed a good friend. Not many folks would be willing to do that.........LOL

Here is Bob's website:

http://www.hollisterlongwings.com/

primos
04-14-2008, 10:18 PM
getting another doxie added to the team this summer from a friend out in michigan...other than that, going to try and trap another passage gos this fall...

ej

Lee
05-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Male goshawk chick on the way.

hcf
05-26-2008, 06:22 PM
hi guys
home bred goss for me and quite possibly a spar ( may just let chris fly it in october);) i also may , if times allows have a go at this crow hawking with an imprint female saker i have kept back.

andy ( in need of sleep )

wesleyc6
05-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Chris???? really Chris. Don't you know he wears a lot of latex, and he raises HH's and well the list is long. I think you better send that spar to someone in Texas.stupd

I can't wait to see some pics of your new birds?

I think I will fly a gos this year and quite possibly nothing else. However:D if all goes well, I might play with some other bird I have never hunted before.

KidK
05-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Imprint Cooper's hawk for me (I think)..

Been wanting to try another for a long time.

Also, likely flying the 2007 imprint female Cooper's I have now that is 3/4 through her first molt.

BestBeagler
05-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Eyas coopers, if the nests I have my eye on turn out, and CB raised tercil Anatum. Isaac

jfseaman
05-26-2008, 11:16 PM
I leave to pick up a tiercel barbary tomorrow. Hatched Sunday May 11.

sharptail
05-30-2008, 09:09 PM
I leave to pick up a tiercel barbary tomorrow. Hatched Sunday May 11.

Hey Fred!!!... Looks like you took a big bite!!! Check your telemetry and order a high power transmitter or 2 and get new running shoes. Mine(a female) had a motor, a curiousity and a will. After he gets over the dispersal thing, if he is like mine, you will have some of the best hawking of your life!!!

bluejack
05-31-2008, 02:21 AM
Hmmmm, what to do. I've got my name on a wild hacked barbary/brookei tiercel. If that doesn't come through then an eyas merlin ( won't know the sex until they hatch perfer a female). Or maybe an imprint female sharpie, probably not though because they will be too old by the time the hack is over.
If it all falls apart that's ok because the worst thing that will happen is I'll fly my barbary and trap another jack this fall. That will give me a chance to spend more time with my 4 yr old daughter this summer. Plus I'm still cleaning up the mess from last hawking season.
So many choices, it makes me crazy!
Keith

bluejack
05-31-2008, 02:25 AM
"I leave to pick up a tiercel barbary tomorrow. Hatched Sunday May 11. "

Cool. Will he be a falconry bird or a breeder?

falcun
06-01-2008, 03:05 PM
in 2 weeks going to get a jack and a female prairie. they will be 3 weeks and 4 weeks respectively as cant get them earlier

jfseaman
06-01-2008, 06:36 PM
"I leave to pick up a tiercel barbary tomorrow. Hatched Sunday May 11. "

Cool. Will he be a falconry bird or a breeder?

The tiercel was changed to a falcon. She is currently on my prorogation permit. She may be my hunting partner this year as well, we will have to see how a special circumstance turns out, she was injured in the mews after ringing. In a nutshell, the breeder and I are trying make sure she has the best chance we can give her.

Please be patient, more of the story will come later, because I can't keep a secret regarding my own life and falconry.

Here she is doing what eyases do, eating, sleeping and creating work for the guy who has to clean her imprint tank (me).

http://www.softforge.net/falconry/barb1.jpg

jfseaman
06-01-2008, 06:41 PM
in 2 weeks going to get a jack and a female prairie. they will be 3 weeks and 4 weeks respectively as cant get them earlier

I would love to hear how the prairie turns out.

jfseaman
06-22-2008, 11:06 AM
The tiercel was changed to a falcon. She is currently on my prorogation permit. She may be my hunting partner this year as well, we will have to see how a special circumstance turns out, she was injured in the mews after ringing. In a nutshell, the breeder and I are trying make sure she has the best chance we can give her.

Please be patient, more of the story will come later, because I can't keep a secret regarding my own life and falconry.

Here she is doing what eyases do, eating, sleeping and creating work for the guy who has to clean her imprint tank (me).

Time for a little update.

The barbary is back to being a tiercel, initial size and eventually going past 520 grams lead me and the breeder to believe it was a female but stabalizing at 470 grams and it's a male.

Gotta take some new pictures.

About the injury. Breeders know, there are somethings you just can't do anything about. The little guy, now named Spencer Tracy is doing really well. The injury was a cracked/broken upper mandible and displaced lower and a puncture wound to the shoulder. The assumption is something upset mom in the chamber after ringing and he got in the way when she lashed out. Mom, lays her eggs on the ground, perfectly good nest ledge where they court but what ever, so she is jumpy to ground based noises, probably wildlife on the outside of the chamber at night. The breeder has a comprehensive control program but of course no such program is perfect.

It kills me but he will probably not be allowed to hunt or at least not in a classic barbary way. The lack of ability to properly close his beak leads me to worry about lung and air sack problems. He comes from a line of very good hunting hawks and siblings from prior years are well proven. So he will be a donor, the breeder has seen his imprint behavior and we are on track for that. I will raise and fly his first offspring and if there are problems, he will not be used as a donor again and will go to and education program. I doubt his offspring will have any problems as his aggression to the lure is better than any other imprint I've done and his lineage.

The turning point was when he started to tear food for himself, it was sketchy and he still has difficulty but is figuring it out. If he couldn't tear up his own food, it would have been a long term management problem. I would have had to place him in an education program where the people were willing to cut his food up every day. But now he is part of the breeding team and I really look forward to seeing what happens in spring 2010.

Since Spencer won't be allowed to hunt, I got his brother as a chamber raised bird for hunting.