PDA

View Full Version : Best take age.

murraym
03-20-2008, 04:21 PM
As I have posted I drew a peregrine permit this year. I think I am going to take an eyas rather than a fledged bird. Reason being I know I can get one out of a nest, catching a fledged bird is not a sure thing. Regulations say I can take an eyas between 18 and 27 days old. Is there an advantage to taking one at 18 days old versues 27 days old or vice versa?

raptrlvr
03-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Matt, I got an email from Gare Alton {California Falconer} who has taken a couple wild peregrines in the last couple of years. He said that if you take one between the age of 18-27 days that you should try and find a breeder with birds the same age and put your bird with them so that it doesn't misprint. By the way, Gare is also taking a peregrine from Arizona this year. You might contact him and see if you guys can work together.

Chris L.
03-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Matt,
I would like to know more about what you find out with this. Please dont hesitate to post more info. Also, when you go pull please take a camera and get some good pictures. Good luck with the eyas. I know you are excited

GyrXPeals
03-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Matt, it depends on whether you want an imprint or not. If you want an imprint take it at 18 days. I prefer to take my captive bred birds at 14 days but 18 days is still within the imprint window, although barely. A foster parent might work if you can find one that will accept an older chick, it also depends on how aggressive the chick is to the foster bird.
Look forward to hearing your progress.
Best Regards,
Jeff

murraym
03-26-2008, 08:22 PM
I have been out for a week or so. I appreciate the information. I breeder that can raise the bird sounds like it would work but I don't think there are any breeders in AZ. I will have to do some research and see about imprinting one. I will let you know how it goes.