PDA

View Full Version : 2015 NAFA Meet - Hutchinson, Kansas

FredFogg
02-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Well, no excuse of I spend Thanksgiving with my family folks. The 2015 NAFA Meet will be held the week of November 9th - 13th in Hays, KS! Meet Chairman Kevin Suedmeyer says "We are fortunate in that Hays holds jacks, ducks, greater prairie chickens, pheasant capital of the world, quail, bunnies, as well as squirrels...A cornucopia of game - That is why it took me so long to select this spot...Gonna be a great meet....”. Meet info and registration will be available on the NAFA website as soon as we get things worked out.

Breeze
02-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Calendar marked - truly hope to get to this one! Have friends and relatives in Kansas!

BestBeagler
02-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Why did they decide to have it earlier than Thanksgiving and not after? Maybe a bit cooler weather?

JRedig
02-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Why did they decide to have it earlier than Thanksgiving and not after? Maybe a bit cooler weather?

Years of enduring the family gripes about it being over a holiday.

Saluqi
02-25-2015, 03:32 PM

The decision to hold the meet earlier was based on the results of questionnaire/poll that was sent to the membership following the 2013 meet. There was a strong desire for a non-Thanksgiving meet, this is being done on a trial basis and the 2016 meet will again be held over T-giving.

As far as having the meet after Thanksgiving, you're right weather does come into play more, as does the fact that there are only 4 weeks between Thanksgiving and X-mas, which for many is a very busy time of year.

skooky20
02-25-2015, 03:42 PM
This will be my first Nafa meet, this trip will also be my honey moon, looking forward to jack hawking, and watching some falcons fly.

BestBeagler
02-25-2015, 03:59 PM
As far as having the after Thanksgiving, you're right weather does come into play more, as does the fact that there are only 4 weeks between Thanksgiving and X-mas, which for may is a very busy time of year.

I see the logic behind that. I'm just so far removed from the "reality" of what the holiday season is for so many I forget.

FredFogg
02-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Personally, I would have preferred the week after Thanksgiving. A lot of folks get off Thursday and Friday the week of Thanksgiving and that would allow some to head west or east earlier for some extra days of hunting. I don't buy that the week after Thanksgiving is too close to Christmas and that folks would be too busy, I could care less about Black Friday! LOL

mcogar88
02-25-2015, 06:49 PM
I agree with you Fred, I wish it was the week after Thanksgiving as well. If you take a passage bird it's going to be hard to have it trained by the NAFA meet. If you trap a Red tail in early October you will be fine but there's no way you're going to have a passage goshawk anywhere near ready by the meet.

BestBeagler
02-25-2015, 07:00 PM
I see I am not the only falconer that feels a week after would have been preferable. Most falconers I have talked to all feel the same. Sorry man, I am sure the NAFA volunteers are pulling their hair out reading these posts and thinking "There's just no way to please people!" I feel for you and thank you all for your work.

Big Foot
02-25-2015, 07:13 PM
Clearly the reasonable solution would be a three week field meet.
The week before and the week after thanksgiving included. That way all needs are met.
Some people may even be there for all three weeks.

Shehawker
02-25-2015, 07:24 PM
3 weeks I like it! Should have enough vacation saved up by then....

But I'm also quite thrilled for to attend the meet AND have Thanksgiving with the folks this year.

raptrlvr
02-25-2015, 09:03 PM
To hell with Thanksgiving, lets go hawking.

JRedig
02-25-2015, 10:05 PM
To hell with Thanksgiving, lets go hawking.

This!

wyodjm
02-27-2015, 06:20 PM
Well, no excuse of I spend Thanksgiving with my family folks. The 2015 NAFA Meet will be held the week of November 9th - 13th in Hays, KS! Meet Chairman Kevin Suedmeyer says "We are fortunate in that Hays holds jacks, ducks, greater prairie chickens, pheasant capital of the world, quail, bunnies, as well as squirrels...A cornucopia of game - That is why it took me so long to select this spot...Gonna be a great meet....”. Meet info and registration will be available on the NAFA website as soon as we get things worked out.

Hi Fred:

I thought the 2015 NAFA meet was going to be in Dodge City. So it was officially switched to Hays?

Just checking.

Best,

FredFogg
02-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Hi Fred:

I thought the 2015 NAFA meet was going to be in Dodge City. So it was officially switched to Hays?

Just checking.

Best,

Dan, no location was ever announced or mentioned about the 2015 meet until Kevin finally announced his decision recently. Most folks are used to it being in either Garden City or Dodge City but I think Kevin wanted to make a choice strictly by available game and that is how he came up with Hays. I will be surprised if it has a lot of jacks due to how far east it is but I hope I am wrong.

sharptail
02-27-2015, 09:00 PM
This past December, I spent 3 weeks hawking with 3 friends, an hour south of Hays. 2 Redtails and 2 Harris' were being flown and several hours were logged flushing. We put a pretty fair number of cottontail out, but no Jacks. I would have liked to see some Jack flight as one of the birds is quite good at them, but no joy.

jmnucci
03-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Anybody have an idea what the agenda/schedule will be for the meet since the holiday is not thrown in the middle? When will be the "big night"? It will be hard to convince the wife to be gone for the whole week but I want the full meet experience. Last time I went early and left early which was fun but I felt like I left before all the booze really took effect.

Tasha55403
03-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Lol, you did :) Standard "big night" is always Friday (Banquet night). Random alcoholic "big nights" might occur on any of the other nights as well. By Wednesday or Thursday though a lot of folks are exhausted, so things tend to be more interesting earlier in the week. But, ya really never know, lol.

mcogar88
03-23-2015, 12:37 PM
I have to agree with Jeff I lived in Oakley Kansas the next town to the west during a apprenticeship I had crop dusting and I didn't see a Jack Rabbit the 6 months I was there and covered about 120 mile radius around Oakley/Hayes almost daily. So I wouldn't be counting on flying Jacks.

Bird_Dog
03-23-2015, 12:44 PM
The guys to ask about jacks in Kansas are the guys that hunt coyotes and jacks with greyhounds.

-- Scott

NMHighPlains
03-24-2015, 11:58 PM
Clearly the reasonable solution would be a three week field meet.
The week before and the week after thanksgiving included. That way all needs are met.
Some people may even be there for all three weeks.

amennn

I couldn't care less when it is. Schedule it. I'll be there.

Hays sounds good. Looking forward to it.

mainefalconer
03-25-2015, 10:52 AM
I'm with you Bryan. I'll be there regardless of where or when it is. Hays will be a good time. I'm actually planning to stay there for an extra week after the meet this year with some of my hawkin' buddies. We'll stick around and attempt to catch the game that evaded everyone else during the week of the meet. :D

Already looking forward to being there.

Ken S.
03-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Me too! All year I look forward to the NAFA meet. It has been impossible for me to attend the whole week for the last few years because of the Holiday week and work/family obligations, I've been coming the week before and staying for only the first couple days of the meet so that I at least got to be there for part of it... this year I should be able to attend the whole week of the meet. It'll be nice to get back to Kansas, I can't wait.

raptrlvr
04-28-2015, 10:24 PM
My wife and I passed through Garden City, Ks last weekend. This is what the terrain looks like in that part of the state.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/raptrlvr074/th_IMG_1975_zps00blmwli.mp4 (http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/raptrlvr074/IMG_1975_zps00blmwli.mp4)

BestBeagler
04-29-2015, 05:35 PM
My wife and I passed through Garden City, Ks last weekend. This is what the terrain looks like in that part of the state.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/raptrlvr074/th_IMG_1975_zps00blmwli.mp4 (http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/raptrlvr074/IMG_1975_zps00blmwli.mp4)

Anyone else see the prairie on the pole in the clip?

jmnucci
04-30-2015, 05:24 PM
Any more word on what hotel it will be held at? Usually about time to make reservations.

sakerjack
05-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Any word? I would like to reserve a room and set up flight and car rental.

Saluqi
05-04-2015, 06:03 PM
The hotel paperwork is nearly completed, there should be an announcement soon and registration for the hotel should open on June 1st.

bdyelm
05-08-2015, 01:56 AM
How do these NAFA meets go? Does everyone meet up at the same fields and take turns? Or do people just split up wherever they want and meet up later? I've heard some people have little "parties" in their rooms? Can't wait.

falcon56
05-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Yeah, all 400 or so, meet in the same field with their birds and rotate between the shortwings, longwings, broadwings, Harris', eagles and micros due to the abnormal density of game in that particular field.It's quite the spectacle.:D

sakerjack
05-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Yeah, all 400 or so, meet in the same field with their birds and rotate between the shortwings, longwings, broadwings, Harris', eagles and micros due to the abnormal density of game in that particular field.It's quite the spectacle.:D

LMAO, Ray sometimes you crack me up!!!

Saluqi
05-08-2015, 08:16 AM
How do these NAFA meets go? Does everyone meet up at the same fields and take turns? Or do people just split up wherever they want and meet up later? I've heard some people have little "parties" in their rooms? Can't wait.

Imagine 150 falconers taking over a hotel in small agricultural town somewhere in the middle of America. Falconers of all shapes, sizes, and ages, and both sexes walking around with hawks on their fists and hunting dogs on leash stopping to chat with other falconers in the halls, parking lot, lobby, and weathering yard. Plans get made with total strangers who want to see your bird fly, or who you want to see their bird fly, everyone is super friendly and supportive, especially to the young and the apprentices who may be in search of their first head of game. People come and go all day at the hotel, there's always action at the weathering yard where it's easiest to hook with other falconers. After hours there are evening programs, folks sharing stories and drinks, there are always groups of friends who only get together once a year for the meet so the partying may go on until very late in the evenings, it's a gift week for full and total immersion in falconry and falconry culture, it's great, nothing quite like it.

My one tip is to be very proactive in finding productive hunting grounds, don't expect anyone to help you and you won't be disappointed. Knock on doors,meet landowners, forge relationships, and don't be afraid to drive out into the country miles away from the hotel. The folks I've heard complaining about game at meets are those who look too close to the hotel, and who are scared to knock on doors, big mistake, in Kansas especially, the locals are super friendly to hunters and think falconers are pretty cool.

falcon56
05-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Good to hear Ken, I'm usually pissing people off.

bdyelm
05-08-2015, 08:40 AM

lol Okay, I probably should of expanded on what I meant. stupd

bdyelm
05-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Imagine 150 falconers taking over a hotel in small agricultural town somewhere in the middle of America. Falconers of all shapes, sizes, and ages, and both sexes walking around with hawks on their fists and hunting dogs on leash stopping to chat with other falconers in the halls, parking lot, lobby, and weathering yard. Plans get made with total strangers who want to see your bird fly, or who you want to see their bird fly, everyone is super friendly and supportive, especially to the young and the apprentices who may be in search of their first head of game. People come and go all day at the hotel, there's always action at the weathering yard where it's easiest to hook with other falconers. After hours there are evening programs, folks sharing stories and drinks, there are always groups of friends who only get together once a year for the meet so the partying may go on until very late in the evenings, it's a gift week for full and total immersion in falconry and falconry culture, it's great, nothing quite like it.

My one tip is to be very proactive in finding productive hunting grounds, don't expect anyone to help you and you won't be disappointed. Knock on doors,meet landowners, forge relationships, and don't be afraid to drive out into the country miles away from the hotel. The folks I've heard complaining about game at meets are those who look too close to the hotel, and who are scared to knock on doors, big mistake, in Kansas especially, the locals are super friendly to hunters and think falconers are pretty cool.

Thanks, sounds very awsome!

Bird_Dog
05-08-2015, 10:14 AM
First get a WIHP map. Hays is a college town, not so small. Opening weekend of pheasant hunting (November 14th, 2015) is a big deal for Kansas families. There could be some reluctance to let a bunch of outsiders stir up the pheasants before gun season on some private land. There will be ample hunting opportunities. Great Bend, KS. had relatively good pheasant last year. See Cheyenne Bottoms if you get the chance. There's a nice wetland museum there. Go North (Plainville, Stockton) from Hays for prairie chicken. The biologists at KPW&T in Hays are helpful, the office is near Hays State campus. Find some college kids that like to hunt and they'll take you out. Professors steak house is a good place to eat in Hays.

-- Scott

PS. Don't be shocked to hear negative attitudes about raptors in Kansas. Residents blame them for kill upland game and many oldtimers shoot raptors or at least aren't shy about telling you they do.

Bird_Dog
05-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Here's an article I wrote several years ago for THA's journal. Some of the information needs to be updated.

Kansas or Bust: A Guide to Game Hawking in Kansas

By

Scott L. Coleman

Just about 10 years ago, I began hawking upland gamebirds and waterfowl in Kansas. My motivation was to seek new challenges in the art of falconry by learning to be a grouse hawker. This article relates the experience gained over the past decade of game hawking in Kansas. The drive to good hawking ground in Kansas is as far as hawking in the some parts of the Texas Panhandle. However, game hawking in Kansas does present several challenges. Never forget that we call falconry hunting because nothing is certain in terms of finding places to hunt, finding quarry, or a myriad of other things. It is neither easy nor cheap when game hawking out of state. Nevertheless, I will provide some tidbits of knowledge so that one may be better prepare for this endeavor.
Where to hunt is perhaps the most important factor of consideration. The good news is that Kansas unlike Texas promotes hunting for the average hunter with a Walk In Hunting Area (WIHA) program. This program allows hunters to legally access land without seeking permission from landowners. The bad news is everyone else has been there before. There are several restrictions that hunters must adhere to, for example, no driving onto the property, and a limit to hunting according to some calendar dates. This information is usually posted on location. Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, & Tourism (KWPT) provides detailed maps and GPS coordinates to the WIHA sites available in places that sale hunting licenses and on their website, as well. The maps index the location with the type of quarry. Spending time personally surveying several sites is part of paying your dues. Fortunately your search does not have to be random. Contacting biologists working for KWPT for information regarding game surveys may give you the current population status and hotspots for particular gamebird species. On my most recent hawking trip, KWPT wildlife biologist David Dahlgren in Hayes provided first-hand information about locations for lesser prairie chicken on WIHA properties. Obtaining permission to hunt on private land can be gained with due diligence. A common technique is to chat with local landowners at small-town cafes or the local feed store. Getting know the so-called locals will bear fruit over time. The news of a falconer in town will spread in the area that you are hunting and lead to permission on other nearby property. Two important things to remember is that no hunting areas are posted with purple signs and having written permission from the landowner is required. Although it is an extra expense, Plat maps (i.e., county maps with a directory) are very handy for locating landowners (see Country-Wide Directory http://www.countywidedirectories.com/Default.aspx).

When to hunt is factor. Kansas can be much colder than Texas. I experienced minus 15 degrees Fahrenheit on one Winter hawking trip. If you intend on hawking during January, then be prepared. This includes packing cold weather gear for human, dog, and bird of prey. On the other hand, I have encountered mild Winter temperatures where ponds were not iced and covered with ducks in Kansas. As a general rule upland gamebirds hold better in early season and becomes wary as the season progresses. The older the gamebird, the better at escaping it becomes, so early season hunting is easiest. Knowing the game laws and particularly the hunting season is paramount in Kansas. Some important falconry information is not given in the standard hunting regulation summary (i.e., the yearly hunting regulation booklet). I learned this the hard way, so be prepared and know the regulations. Specifically upland gamebirds may hunted from September 1 thru March 31 (see http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Services/Law-Enforcement/Regulations/Falconry). Mike Spielman in Pratt Kansas is the falconry permit coordinator for the state. The extended duck season is given in the standard hunting regulation summary. While mentioning legal issues Kansas requires a hunter's education certificate. The last caveat concerns the waterfowl license. The regular hunting permit and waterfowl permits are not synchronized by calendar date. This has caused confusion numerous time when trying to purchase a hunting license. There are other specialty licenses required as well (e.g., prairie chicken stamp).

Who to hunt with is another factor. I have hawked with only one Kansas falconer. Ron Krupa of El Dorado who served as a field meet coordinator for the American falconry Conservancy. He was the first falconer to show me the technique for finding and hawking prairie chicken. The formula is basically to find a location where CRP and crops (milo, cut corn, soybean, and wheat) join. Arrive either at dawn or before dusk. Scope the field and watch for prairie chicken to fly low between the loafing and feeding ground. As you can imagine this is very time consuming and finding good slips is not easy. However, prairie chicken are habitual in their behavior patterns. Once spotted they will most likely be found at the same time and location repeatedly. Except for attending a field meet, most of my experience is hawking alone or with a close friend or two. Going alone is great for self-reflection and less pressure to find enough game for others; whereas, going with friend is great for the companionship, shared experience, and the backup if you need it. One important issue when hawking with friends is determining whose going to fly their bird. This can be less problematic if everyone separates and essential flies on their own. When hawking together, my philosophy is to be as flexible as possible. For example, choose the best raptor for the situation rather than follow strict flight order, give a less experienced bird the better setup, or take an unexpected opportunity when it arises rather than wait for a better setup.

Where to stay is another factor. Many falconers have small RVs to use on hawking trips. My 1985 Toyota 4Runner with a 4 cylinder engine is not capable of toeing a RV. Thus, I have learned to improvise in order to gain over night lodging. On various hawking trips, I have encountered accommodations that ranged for sleeping on the open ground with nothing except a tarp to staying in luxury cabin with theater seating with multiple big screen televisions. Of course many small towns have motels that are hunter friendly, but some do not. Many of these motels are hunter friendly and convenient to resources in town. However, a motel may not provide an adequate weathering space or a secure place to leave perches, bath pans, and other less essential equipment. This leads to a lot of packing and unpacking. An alternative is to check the bulletin board at the local gas station for private lodging. Many landowners have an extra house available for hunters. When knocking on doors to obtain permission be sure to ask if there is a place to stay nearby. I find that being close to the hunting ground is a big benefit. Mainly to less travelling from lodge to field. Local hunting conditions vary, so be prepared to move new areas. I have crisscrossed the state search for places to stay and hunt many times.

A few last comments on game hawking in Kansas in terms of what to expect when flying a falcon. First of all there are hazards when flying a falcon in Kansas in the dead of Winter there is a starving red-tail hawk in every tree and both bald eagles and golden eagles may be encountered as well. Falcons not accustom may fall victim. I have seen this happen to a peregrine and it is a very sickening feeling. Long distant travel is stressful for a raptor which can have a negative effect on hunting performance. Upon arrival a day of acclimation and weathering is beneficial. Dehydration is another issue. I have found that feeding watery meat with no casting material (i.e., fed on the fist from a small dish) each evening keeps the falcon well hydrated. Wide-open land without structure is ideal for flying longwings. My experience is that the falcon's pitch will increase from its normal height in Kansas. A typical scenario is the first flight is a typical pitch, consequently, the gamebird will out fly the falcon. After getting burned, a falcon will adjust by taking a higher pitch on the second flight. This is a natural way to teach pitch. It may be tempting to bag the falcon as a reward for its effort on wild gamebirds, but my experience is it best not to bag them. One of my favorite places to fly provides an opportunity to slip your falcon on prairie chicken, pheasant, and duck in the same flight. Start with prairie chicken at the top with open low grass, then work down the higher grass areas in a waterway for pheasant, and finally if all else fails flush ducks in a pond at the bottom of the field. A versatile birddog is important. Without a dog to cover the vast tracts of ground, hunting gamebirds in Kansas would be exacerbating. I recently learned the value of a telemetry dog collar. So keep in mind that a dog can be lost in Kansas as easily as a falcon. Lastly, the title is Kansas or Bust for a purpose. A Texas duck hawk is at a disadvantage on hunting upland gamebirds, especially prairie chicken. It is a sure bust to create a false expectation of success. A falcon that does not regularly hunt pheasant and prairie chicken will not put many in the bag, but it is sure is fun to try.

jmnucci
05-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Scott that is exactly the type of information I've been looking for. Thanks for posting.

Is all upland game, including prairie chickens, open to falconry Sept 1 through March? Might need to make a pre-meet scouting expedition.

Bird_Dog
05-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Scott that is exactly the type of information I've been looking for. Thanks for posting.

Is all upland game, including prairie chickens, open to falconry Sept 1 through March? Might need to make a pre-meet scouting expedition.

This is important (I know from experience). You need to download a copy of the Kansas falconry regs. It is the only place that the information on the season dates for upland gamebirds in falconry is given. I had a long conversation with KPW&T officials on this. Even the guy in charge of the falconry permits didn't know the dates. Carry a copy the with you to show the authorities http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/Services/Law-Enforcement/Regulations/Falconry

-- scott

Tasha55403
05-16-2015, 12:44 AM
This just in...the Meet hotel has a pool-water slide! And no health certificates or import permits needed :)

FredFogg
05-16-2015, 09:47 PM
This just in...the Meet hotel has a pool-water slide! And no health certificates or import permits needed :)

Why would you need a health certificate or import permit for a water slide? LOL :D

Wait, they both might be needed for Gaz to use the water slide. :eek: toungeout

NMHighPlains
05-16-2015, 11:57 PM

I'm in for the slide.

I have the same comment Fred did about the health certificate, though.

Tasha55403
05-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Lol toungeout I'm not editing anything my grammar can be just as awful as I want it to be! At least I'm not trying to use texting abbreviations:D

gemiller
05-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Can anyone tell me what to expect for weather at this time of year in the area of the meet?

kenaiboy
06-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Would like to go to a meet someday. Will it ever be on any other weekend? Thanksgiving makes it impossible, unless I want an empty house when I get back! ;);)

Saluqi
06-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Would like to go to a meet someday. Will it ever be on any other weekend? Thanksgiving makes it impossible, unless I want an empty house when I get back! ;);)

This year it is Nov 9th - 13th.

joekoz
06-04-2015, 08:39 AM

With a very large family with a deep Thanksgiving Tradition this has been my issue as well.

Not this year though! Looking forward to the 1350 mile drive out to Kansas.

It will be interesting to see how many 1st time attendees come, and now the total number compares with previous meets.

gemiller
06-04-2015, 10:31 AM
With a very large family with a deep Thanksgiving Tradition this has been my issue as well.

Not this year though! Looking forward to the 1350 mile drive out to Kansas.

It will be interesting to see how many 1st time attendees come, and now the total number compares with previous meets.

Well it made the difference for our group, going to have 3-5 with birds and some tag alongs going out with the date change.

FredFogg
06-04-2015, 10:51 AM
We need to get a mod to change the title of this thread as the meet is no longer going to be in Hays. New site to be announced tomorrow I believe.

Bird_Dog
06-04-2015, 03:31 PM
We need to get a mod to change the title of this thread as the meet is no longer going to be in Hays. New site to be announced tomorrow I believe.

Does it have to be in Kansas?

-- Scott

rkumetz
06-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Does it have to be in Kansas?

-- Scott

If they move it elsewhere then they can send out an email that says
"NAFA Meet: We're not in Kansas any more Toto" :D

RyanAnt
06-04-2015, 10:02 PM
^LOL! stupd

Buckeye Falconer
06-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Maybe I missed something, but why will it no longer be in Hays?

bdyelm
06-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Maybe I missed something, but why will it no longer be in Hays?

I thought I read it had something to do with the weathering yard? I guess it was on a wetland.

Lemme check my email and paste it.

bdyelm
06-04-2015, 10:55 PM
On May 15, I sent you all an update regarding Hays, Kansas and our upcoming field meet planned for the week of November 8 – 13. To say that plans have changed might be an understatement. Before signing any hotel contract NAFA has a list of requirements that must be met before we enter into any arrangements with local establishments. In meetings with hotel management we had been told that a nearby field would be available for a weathering yard during the meet. Prior to signing contracts the city decided this was not an option as the field is a designated “wetlands” and would not be available for our use. This was the only hotel in town that would suit our needs and the next closest location for our weathering yard would have been over ¼ mile away. This was a deal breaker and in an effort to make this a first class experience for all involved we are moving the meet to a new location in Kansas.

This past week, Future Meets Chair Sheldon Nicolle and Membership Secretary Brandi Nickerson took to the highways and back roads of Kansas in search of an alternative city and hotel to host our meet. They have identified three separate locations and hotels that will meet our lodging needs. While the location may have changed, many of the things in my last update have not.

The wheat and CRP fields are still green and game is plentiful. This should be another outstanding meet for the shortwingers as bunnies and jacks are abundant. With the recent rains it is expected that the ponds should be full and the duck hawkers should also have plenty of feathered quarry for their longwings. Kansas Parks and Wildlife Office biologists in Region 1 are confident that “the outlook for hunting greater prairie chickens is also outstanding.” As many may know the lesser prairie chicken was listed as threatened by the USF&W Service in 2014 and as such - hunting this particular species is closed. If ever there was a time to catch a prairie chicken with falcons or shortwings this is it.

Members have voiced concerns regarding the gun-hunting pheasant season coinciding with our meet - this is not true. The gun season for pheasants does not open until the weekend after the meet is over.
And as a reminder, Kansas will NOT require any health certificates nor import certificates for our birds. The state is very logical in making decisions regarding & supporting falconry.

Buckeye Falconer
06-05-2015, 07:40 AM
Thanks Brandon! I seem to bave.missed that one.

raptrlvr
06-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Just made my reservations for the NAFA meet. The clerk said they have gotten about 100 calls just today for the meet. I'd say they are gonna be booked in a couple of days.

dliepe
06-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Where is the new hotel

dliepe
06-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Never mind... Hutchinson Kansas... Got it

Shehawker
06-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Sweet! Got mine on the books, decided on going for the Days Inn but had a nice chat with both.
Sounded like there are still rooms at the Atrium (but going fast) and that the staff are excited to host, can't wait!!!

kekekwag
06-06-2015, 10:05 PM
What's the forcasted prognosis of the Avian Flu impact on this meet?

skooky20
06-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Got my room booked for my first Nafa meet, can't wait peacee

Bird_Dog
06-07-2015, 10:56 AM
The theme for the meet will be "hawking with the Amish."

-- Scott

wyodjm
06-07-2015, 08:38 PM
The theme for the meet will be "hawking with the Amish."

-- Scott

That may be more of a reality than you realize. The local Amish and Mennonites are wonderful people but a very closed knit community. If and when permission is granted to hawk on their land, it will be imperative to follow their directives and respect their property.

skooky20
06-10-2015, 10:08 AM
my friend called me yesterday and told me that one of his friends went to make there reservation and one of the hotels was just about full already, so it looks like if you plan on going to the meet you will want to make your reservations asap.

forestfalcon
06-10-2015, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty excited for this! Hotel reservation made. I haven't been to a NAFA meet since 2010.

forestfalcon
07-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Okay, so I was looking at the meet info, and it says that anyone hunting needs proof of hunter education. In Colorado, we don't need to take a hunter Ed course for falconry. I remember at the 2010 meet in Dodge City, one could buy an apprentice license to defer this hunter education requirement. This link says that it can only be done for those 15, and under. I'm slightly older than 15, so I'm wondering if we had special allowances to use this last time?

Thoughts? It would be an inconvenience to take hunters Ed before the NAFA meet.

http://ksoutdoors.com/Services/Education/Hunter

skooky20
07-15-2015, 04:12 PM
in some states as long as you have your home state hunting license with you they accept that.

Steveo
07-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Okay, so I was looking at the meet info, and it says that anyone hunting needs proof of hunter education. In Colorado, we don't need to take a hunter Ed course for falconry. I remember at the 2010 meet in Dodge City, one could buy an apprentice license to defer this hunter education requirement. This link says that it can only be done for those 15, and under. I'm slightly older than 15, so I'm wondering if we had special allowances to use this last time?

My sponsor and I have been discussing this. I emailed Brandi Nickerson (the meet Registration Coordinator) and she confirmed that we do need a hunter's ed cert. It can be from any state, but you need to have one if you were born after the cutoff date of 7/1/57.

wyodjm
07-15-2015, 04:54 PM

Hi Jenni:

That's a good question. I just spoke with Kevin Jones, head of law enforcement for the Kansas Dept. of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism. Kevin is a good guy. I knew him when he was a game warden in Wyoming before he moved to Kansas about a dozen years ago.

Here's the deal: The hunter education certification requirement is a state statute. If you want to hunt in Kansas (with a hawk or gun) and your age falls under the criteria of the requirements, then you need to have successfully completed an approved hunter education class. Either from Kansas or another state. Kansas honors other state hunter ed. programs. I hope this helps.

Here's a copy of the State Statute:

Article 9

32-920. Hunter education requirements; adult supervision of youths required, when; apprentice hunting license. (a) Except as provided by subsections (d) and (e), no person who is born on or after July 1, 1957, and is 16 or more years of age shall hunt in this state on land other than such person's own land unless the person has been issued a certificate of completion of an approved hunter education course. If such person is required by law to obtain a hunting license, the person shall attest to or exhibit proof of completion of such course to the person issuing the license at the time of purchasing the license. If such person is not required by law to obtain a hunting license, is less than 27 years of age but 16 or more years of age or is less than 16 but 12 or more years of age and hunting without adult supervision, the person shall be in possession of the person's certificate of completion of such course while hunting. A person may purchase for another person, under rules and regulations adopted by the secretary in accordance with K.S.A. 32-805, and amendments thereto, a lifetime hunting or combination hunting and fishing license without the license recipient's first having been issued a certificate of completion of an approved hunter education course.
(b) A person less than 12 years of age shall not hunt unless under the direct supervision of an adult who is 18 or more years of age.
(c) A person who is 12 or more years of age but less than 16 years of age and who has not been issued a certificate of completion of an approved hunter education course shall not hunt unless under the direct supervision of an adult who is 18 or more years of age.
(d) A person who is 16 or more years of age may obtain a one-time deferral of completion of hunter education that is valid until the end of the current license year. Such person may purchase an apprentice hunting license but shall not hunt unless under the direct supervision of a licensed adult who is 18 or more years of age.
(e) Completion of an approved hunter education course shall not be required to obtain a special controlled shooting area hunting license valid only for licensed controlled shooting areas.

-----------------------------------------

Effective July 1, 2014 individuals 16 or older may purchase a two-time purchase deferral of the Hunter Education requirements by purchasing an Apprentice hunting license. Holders of Apprentice hunting licenses must hunt under the supervision of a licensed hunter age 18 or older.

Hunter Education Certification issued by any state, Canadian Province, or some foreign jurisdictions are deemed to meet the requirements of Kansas Law.

Saluqi
07-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Is this a new requirement? I went to the 2010 meet in Dodge City, KS and bought a license and didn't provide any proof of having taken the hunter's safety course. I took it in 1974 when I was 12 years old back in NY state, there's no way I'd ever be able to track it down now.

wyodjm
07-15-2015, 05:42 PM
Is this a new requirement? I went to the 2010 meet in Dodge City, KS and bought a license and didn't provide any proof of having taken the hunter's safety course. I took it in 1974 when I was 12 years old back in NY state, there's no way I'd ever be able to track it down now.

Hi Paul:

I have no idea how old the statute is. The way it was explained to me was you don't have to show actual proof you have completed a hunter ed. class. When purchasing a hunting license in Kansas from a licensing agent (e.g Walmart) you sign testifying that you have successfully completed the required hunter ed. class.

I don't know any state that doesn't require hunter ed. now before purchasing a hunting license. However, each state has their own different birth date cut offs.

Saluqi
07-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Okay, so I went to the Kansas online G&F license page (https://www.ks.wildlifelicense.com/index_hf.php) and attempted to buy a license, and all it asks for is your word that you have taken the hunter's safety. So, you can buy a hunting license without physical proof of having taken the hunter's safety course. I thought that this was the case, as five years ago I bought my license online for KS, they still had all of my data in their system.

No worries if you do not have proof of having taken your hunter's safety class. If you have not taken a hunter's safety course I highly recommend that you do so, it could save your life.

wyodjm
07-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Okay, so I went to the Kansas online G&F license page (https://www.ks.wildlifelicense.com/index_hf.php) and attempted to buy a license, and all it asks for is your word that you have taken the hunter's safety. So, you can buy a hunting license without physical proof of having taken the hunter's safety course. I thought that this was the case, as five years ago I bought my license online for KS, they still had all of my data in their system.

No worries if you do not have proof of having taken your hunter's safety class. If you have not taken a hunter's safety course I highly recommend that you do so, it could save your life.

I thought I already explained that. It's also in the actual statute, 4th line down. Your word (shall attest to), not actual proof, is required.

Saluqi
07-15-2015, 06:04 PM
I thought I already explained that. It's also in the actual statute, 4th line down. Your word (shall attest to), not actual proof, is required.

Sorry, I missed it.

forestfalcon
07-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Ugh. That's really annoying, since KS made an exception last time.

Saluqi
07-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Ugh. That's really annoying, since KS made an exception last time.

I don't understand your concern Jenni?

forestfalcon
07-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Colorado just doesn't require it to possess a falconry permit, so it's just one more thing to do before the meet. It's just an inconvenience, but I guess necessary to hawk at the meet.

wyodjm
07-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Colorado just doesn't require it to possess a falconry permit, so it's just one more thing to do before the meet. It's just an inconvenience, but I guess necessary to hawk at the meet.

You can take the class online Jenni. It's not a big deal. I've been a Hunter Safety Instructor for years. If you need any help just ask. PM me if you like.

forestfalcon
07-15-2015, 06:38 PM
You can take the class online Jenni. It's not a big deal. I've been a Hunter Safety Instructor for years. If you need any help just ask. PM me if you like.

I guess that's the way to go, although there's still a 6-8 hour in-person conclusion course. I'm being extra whiny about this since I have a new hawk coming soon, and would rather spend that extra 6-8 hours out training and hawking! :D

skooky20
07-16-2015, 01:33 PM
I got my trapping authorization for Kansas in the mail today, only took 11 days to get it back, so looking forward to kansas

mjh1990
07-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Chris are you planning on trapping a prairie falcon while there?

mjh1990
07-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Can anyone tell me if the time of year and location of the meet would be conducive for trapping a prairie falcon?

skooky20
07-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Matt, i will be trying for a harlan's red tail first, however a nice tiercel prairie isn't out of the question. i will be bringing enough traps for both

mjh1990
07-16-2015, 09:01 PM
I'm thinking about a tiercel prairie depending on what my situation is like at the time. My second redtail was a Harlans used a weighted pigeon harness to catch it jumped out to grab it, I thought it was caught hopped out ran up to it..... And it just flipped over on its back not a noose around it. It turned out to be the most loyal hawk I've ever flown I started to do blind recalls with it where I'd walk around a corner and call and he'd come looking

Bird_Dog
07-17-2015, 01:16 AM
I find the easiest way to attract a prairie falcon in Kansas is to fly a tiercel peregrine. Works all the time. And if you want a red-tailed hawk, just wait for your tiercel peregrine to catch a duck. A RT will be on its way to kill the tiercel peregrine in no time.

-- scott

Sader762
07-17-2015, 01:38 AM
A lot of states are moving towards requiring hunter education classes. It's not a bad idea to go ahead and take one, that way you are good to go for which ever state you decide to hunt in down the road. Plus, it could actually teach you something of use.

HGlider
07-17-2015, 03:40 AM
A lot of states are moving towards requiring hunter education classes. It's not a bad idea to go ahead and take one, that way you are good to go for which ever state you decide to hunt in down the road. Plus, it could actually teach you something of use.

Always have the safety on when walking around with your bird. Don't want them to go off accidentally. Believe it or not I had the security people tell me this at a place I hunted a lot. I have witnesses.

hawkman1220
07-17-2015, 07:58 AM
Can anyone tell me if the time of year and location of the meet would be conducive for trapping a prairie falcon?
I trapped a tiercel prairie and merlin the first day of the meet several years back. We were more west close to the CO. border.

mjh1990
07-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Thank you for the for the info Tony a female Merlin would work too although I'd prefer a tiercel prairie for partridge if I spotted some out hunting

FredFogg
07-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Thank you for the for the info Tony a female Merlin would work too although I'd prefer a tiercel prairie for partridge if I spotted some out hunting

Hey Matt, the 3 times I trapped for prairies in KS, it was pretty much a waste of time east of Dodge City. Sure, you might see a few but the further west you go, the better your chances. And on top of that, depending on the weather and how many have migrated down, early November won't be as good as late November. I am putting in for my trapping permit, so maybe we can do a road trip one day west and go trapping. You can have any male we trap, I will keep a female! LOL

hawkman1220
07-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Hey Matt, the 3 times I trapped for prairies in KS, it was pretty much a waste of time east of Dodge City. Sure, you might see a few but the further west you go, the better your chances. And on top of that, depending on the weather and how many have migrated down, early November won't be as good as late November. I am putting in for my trapping permit, so maybe we can do a road trip one day west and go trapping. You can have any male we trap, I will keep a female! LOL

I caught the prairie near Syracuse, KS and the merlin down south near Johnson City KS. There are a lot of prairies down near Liberal and also some back roads as the prairies seemed a bit skittish. Back roads that follow the big double T power lines are the best. We used a small net 24" x 36" on poles to catch all our birds on 2 trips. the second trip we caught a lot of adults before finding a passage. If you get close enough to tell the difference they often bump.

Chris L.
07-17-2015, 10:49 AM
I Just booked my room.. see you all there. mooon

If you haven't booked a room yet you better get on it, they are filling up quickly.

FredFogg
07-17-2015, 10:53 AM
We used a small net 24" x 36" on poles to catch all our birds on 2 trips. the second trip we caught a lot of adults before finding a passage. If you get close enough to tell the difference they often bump.

Yep, pretty much the same with us. We scoped them out from as far as we could and then would set the trap out about 3 poles away. Not sure how far 3 poles away is but it was pretty far. We didn't have much luck with a pigeon harness other than fly bys and dho ghazza's didn't work to well either as my inexperience of setting them in the dirt road instead of using the grass along the road as a back screen to hide the nest was mostly the problem. We had our best luck using a phai trap. Even caught a merlin with a prairie size phai trap. Man, I love trapping!!!!!! peacee

hawkman1220
07-17-2015, 11:01 AM
I hear ya' Fred on loving trapping. Our nets were on arrow shafts but I now have found that the local hardware stores have longer poles. I took Cool Whip plastic containers and used cement to fill and put the poles in the middle and let them harden. My nets were fastened at the top with cotter pins through holes in the shaft. the bottom corners were on split rings that would slide up the poles. If you are using a net setup take extra netting because prairies hit with such speed they pull the nets off the poles. We found one bird about 2 feet past the poles laying in the grass all wrapped up in the net.

hawkman1220
07-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Should read 20 feet all wrapped up in the net.

hawkman1220
07-17-2015, 11:18 AM
One more bit of information about trapping in west Kansas. there are a lot of cattle feed lots there. Feed lots attract small birds that eat the feed. the small birds attract merlins and prairies especially the males. Driving around the feed lots draws a lot of attention from the people that manage them. We got a good butt chewing from the head vet at one lot because he thought we were scheming to do something to the cattle. If you find birds around the feed lot go show your permits and ask if it is okay to trap them. This guy thought we might be cattle rustlers or something.

goshawkr
07-17-2015, 01:20 PM

To the best of my knowledge all states that allow hunting have hunter education requirements, although most have some birthdate exceptions, assuming that if you are over a certain age you were hunting when the requirement was put in place and don't need it.

I had begun work to try and push through an exception to the requirement for falconry hunting in WA, similar to what it appears CO has in place. But I decided I was not in favor of that when a good friend pointed out two things:

In WA, there is not a separate license for falconry hunting, meaning that when you buy a hunting license to hunt with your hawk, you are also legally authorized to hunt with any allowed weapon (shotgun, bow, etc.)
It really would be a good idea for falconry only hunters to go through the course because there is a decent chance they will be in the field with regular hunters. And while the onus is on the hunter to make sure they are using their weapon safely, if the others in the field with them have a good understanding of what is needed for them to be able to make good safe decisions it helps to avoid accidents. Its also not a bad idea to have them pick up the basic consumptive use conservation aspects that are usually included in these courses.

In reality, item 1. would be fairly straight forward to resolve, but I really like the idea of having our young falconers that may not be familiar with more traditional weapon hunting to have a basic education in that. As an example of that, my basic understanding of shotgun hunting that I received when I took hunter ed (back when I wanted to hunt deer and elk) led me to realize that an inexperienced shotgun hunter could very easily see a goshawk chasing a pheasant as two pheasants during a snap judement and make an honest mistake - so I now give those who are hunting pheasants with guns a very wide berth.

Goshawk635
07-18-2015, 12:32 AM
Hi Jenni:

Effective July 1, 2014 individuals 16 or older may purchase a two-time purchase deferral of the Hunter Education requirements by purchasing an Apprentice hunting license. Holders of Apprentice hunting licenses must hunt under the supervision of a licensed hunter age 18 or older.

Not to keep stirring this pot … but

Apprentice license is available to those 16 and OLDER using the two time deferral. All one would need to do is hunt with an over 18 regularly licensed hunter. Do I need my attorney or does that mean Jenni could still buy the Apprentice license and then hawk with a group? (assuming this is her second deferral)

Or maybe I just need to go walk the beach :)

calebstroh
07-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Geoff makes some great points (and sorry to be straying off the topic of the meet)

Hunter education is NOT JUST ABOUT SHOOTING GUNS! Hunter ED is a valuable tool to teach and learn about the environment, safety in the field, game animals, hunting strategies, and the ethics of being an outdoorsperson in this day and age.

I have always felt that we need less regulations in this sport, but this is one of the few things I'm passionate about and I would be happy to see a requirement for ALL falconers to take and pass the hunters safety course in Utah. Again, I HATE unnecessary regulations and we continue to push for simpler regs always....but hunter ED is serious business.

This has been a topic of discussion in Utah; "why should I need to pass hunter ed?" Well the answer is simple...you are going to be hunting your bird on wild game animals in the state. To do so you will need to purchase a hunting license. Falconers are not exempt from knowing game laws and field ethics and as such should be treated just like any other hunter. Its a testament to our sport and the falconers who practice ethical hunting. (Not to beat this dead horse but I know of MANY falconers who don't have an inkling about game laws, ethics, or even species identification...a hunters ed course could go a long way to fix this. As law abiding falconers we should all be concerned about the image such behavior portrays and take actions to better our sport!)

That being said, and in-line with the original question asked, a hunting license may not be required to take certain pest or non-game species in Kansas, like starling, E sparrow, EC doves, etc. Making this conversation a moot topic for those hunting those species.

Anywho, see ya'all in Kansas

Caleb

skooky20
07-19-2015, 01:14 PM
was wondering if anyone has a goal to attain while in kansas, i for one will be hoping to catch my first jack and my first fox squirrel. how about anyone else?

mjh1990
07-19-2015, 04:18 PM
I'd like to catch my first jack with my ferrug

Shehawker
07-19-2015, 04:22 PM
"Edit: Caleb Never mind just reread your post and you answered it there"

Caleb, does Utah not requier a hunters ED for falconers bying upland game permits? Or do you mean being able to become a licensed falconer without it?

Ran into that very situation back as a wee apprentice, I did not come from a hunting background so was surprised by that when I went to go get a upland game permit. Took about a week to take the online course bit by bit after school and one saturday to do the feild day and was done. The course was very informative and fun and whatda know, I do attempt to hunt with a shotgun every once in awhile these days.

Sader762
07-19-2015, 10:27 PM
Always have the safety on when walking around with your bird. Don't want them to go off accidentally. Believe it or not I had the security people tell me this at a place I hunted a lot. I have witnesses.

LOL, oh man that is too funny! I'd love to see that caught on video!

wyodjm
07-20-2015, 11:01 AM
I'm not familiar with every states' hunter education / safety certification requirements but I would think anyone wanting to hunt would be required to go through the certification process. And falconry is a form of hunting.

As already mentioned, taking hunter safety has a multitude of benefits. Topics such as first- aid, the philosophy of wildlife management, hunter ethics, game species identification, non game/protected species identification, venomous snake indentification, and firearm training are just a few. Depending on where you live geographically, some states also have sections on winter / wilderness survival and awareness while hunting and trekking in grizzly / blackbear, wolf and lion country.

As an extra bonus, the state of Wyoming, has enough firearm training in its hunter safety certification course that it meets the range class requirements for people wanting get an concealed handgun carry permit. In all counties. All a person has to do is show their hunter certification card while applying for a concealed carry permit.

ukroper
07-20-2015, 05:41 PM
I Just booked my room.. see you all there. mooon

If you haven't booked a room yet you better get on it, they are filling up quickly.

DONT forget my 'taste' of the family cut!!..helps me cook matepeacee:Dpeacee

Lowachi
07-20-2015, 10:39 PM
got a class I'm helping with coming up pdq...

NMHighPlains
07-21-2015, 12:11 AM

I just completed the TX Online certificate course. Cost me $18 and a full day of sitting at the computer, but there were NO courses anywhere w/in 7 hours of me (so... a full day's drive, a night's stay, a day of class, another night, another day of class, another night's stay and/or a 7 hr drive home). I took the quizzes and main test first, passed with a 98% and then just let the videos run thru the day while I did other stuff.

This is the site I used:

https://hunter-safety.hunteredcourse.com

Goshawk635
07-21-2015, 12:56 AM
Washington state is really encouraging the on-line approach. That is followed up with a half day on site which includes a review, a quiz (to make sure the participant actually was to one who completed the course) and a field test on basic safety which includes a live fire portion.

I like the convenience but as a Hunter Safety Instructor, we have a number of fails in the field test of on-line students because its the first time many have held a firearm.

Actual class time is what I prefer despite the fact that it takes more time as a volunteer.

joekoz
07-21-2015, 07:50 AM
I'm wondering if I'm the only forum member who feels that this thread has morphed into a discussion on "Hunter Safety" and should be re-titled to reflect this fact, or if it's time to get back to posting information about the upcoming NAFA Meet. :)

JeffNH
07-30-2015, 12:21 PM
What is the weather like during that time of year in Kansas? Snow? Ice? shorts! :) etc. Thanks!

FredFogg
07-30-2015, 12:27 PM
What is the weather like during that time of year in Kansas? Snow? Ice? shorts! :) etc. Thanks!

I have a feeling it is going to be very warm. When they talked about changing the dates for the meet, I was hoping for the week after Thanksgiving so I could go out west hunting the Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun of the week of Thanksgiving and then arrive at the meet on Sun for the entire week. But when they announced the dates, I kept thinking how warm it could be and how early I would either have to pull a bird or trap a bird to have it ready for that early in November. I normally don't even pull my birds or try and have one ready until the first of November but now I need to be flying them for at least a couple weeks before going to the meet. Oh well, back to your question, I have only been in KS in late November and there have been times when it was down right hot and other times when it was freezing. So pack for anything! LOL

Also, could a MOD change the title of this thread to Hutchinson, KS?

hawkman1220
07-30-2015, 01:44 PM
Every time I have been there at the meet or trapping it has been warm.

JeffNH
07-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Thanks...2 firsts for me, NAFA meet and visiting Kansas. :)

hawkman1220
07-31-2015, 07:20 AM
Thanks...2 firsts for me, NAFA meet and visiting Kansas. :)

What I like about Kansas is the walk in hunting areas. At the meet I often venture out by myself and it is nice to see the signs and just be able to get out and start hunting. I did stop in places that looked good and asked permission and the people were very friendly.

JRedig
07-31-2015, 08:23 AM

I have seen all of the above that time of year, just have to watch it the week before.

Chris L.
07-31-2015, 10:40 AM
DONT forget my 'taste' of the family cut!!..helps me cook matepeacee:Dpeacee

I already have some with your name on it my friend!!!

I know we've talked about it in the past and want to throw it out there this year. If you and your guys are near Roswell, when you come to the USA, come by my place. I have machine guns you all can shoot and we have plenty of that sippin tea. There is enough room at my house if you guys need to stay for a day or 2. I know my place is far from this years meet but wanted to offer it anyway.

Looking forward to seeing you!

jeffreyj
09-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Since the official meet hotel is full, where is everyone staying?

jmnucci
09-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Isn't there something on the NAFA website about the Days inn being in the same parking lot as the meet hotel? That is where I will be staying. I upgraded to the "suite" for $85/night. I got a good laugh about that.

FredFogg
09-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Isn't there something on the NAFA website about the Days inn being in the same parking lot as the meet hotel? That is where I will be staying. I upgraded to the "suite" for $85/night. I got a good laugh about that.

The Meet Hotel information was left off the Meet page on the website (my bad), it is now on there!

ukroper
10-16-2015, 03:23 PM
...noideanoidea..SAD NEWS TODAY...THERE AINT GONNA BE A SHRIMP BOIL THIS YEAR..sorryysorryy

Tasha55403
10-16-2015, 03:56 PM
No shrimp boil??? That IS sad! Is Chris ok?

COMEAUX
10-16-2015, 05:52 PM
No shrimp boil??? That IS sad! Is Chris ok?

Tasha,I'm OK thanks for checking just don't feel like doing the packing & driving BS and the bird I listed earlier I will not travel with him,so if some one comes and picks him up I just may talk myself into going

FredFogg
10-16-2015, 07:19 PM
No NAFEX dinner, no shrimp boil, Trump leading the polls, the world is going to hell!!!!!! :eek:

ukroper
10-17-2015, 02:13 AM
:eek:..No Thanksgiving dinner..noideanoidea..

What twats decided to change everything!!!brickk

raptrlvr
10-17-2015, 07:50 AM
The IEAA just announced that it was canceling its Gathering of Eagles meet this year if anyone is interested in knowing that fact.

Tasha55403
10-17-2015, 03:08 PM
:eek:..No Thanksgiving dinner..noideanoidea..

What twats decided to change everything!!!brickk

Lol. Since it's not over Thanksgiving this year I kinda don't know what to do with myself! Guess I'll hafta see if I can persuade Brian to cook a turkey for us :D I haven't had an actual Thanksgiving turkey dinner in the last 15 years or so and never actually expected to have another :eek:

Lowachi
10-17-2015, 10:53 PM
No NAFEX dinner, no shrimp boil, Trump leading the polls, the world is going to hell!!!!!! :eek:

that sux!!! No Chris either!!!?

DLemieux
10-18-2015, 10:32 PM
Is there anyone else flying into Wichita on Saturday evening (The 7th)? My flight arrives at 7:25pm and I was hoping to catch a ride to the meet hotel with someone. I will gladly pay for gas or buy you a couple 6 packs for your trouble. It will be just me and my bag.

Saluqi
10-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Don't forget to pre-register for the meet, early registration ends in two days and the price goes up $20.

wyodjm
10-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Is there anyone else flying into Wichita on Saturday evening (The 7th)? My flight arrives at 7:25pm and I was hoping to catch a ride to the meet hotel with someone. I will gladly pay for gas or buy you a couple 6 packs for your trouble. It will be just me and my bag.

Darren:
I can pick you up at the airport if you get in a bind and can't find other transportation. Let me know.

skooky20
10-21-2015, 09:53 PM
just ordered my nafa meet hoodie

forestfalcon
10-21-2015, 11:31 PM
I'm looking forward to meeting many of you. The last NAFA meet I attended was 2010, and I was all pregnant. I'm thinking a few of you might be easier to take when I'm 2-3 beers in. toungeout :D

Chris L.
10-22-2015, 10:32 AM

All is not lost.. there will be the NAFEX dinner! beeerbeeer
The only thing that is changed is there will be no raffle. This will leave me more time to drink more beer and sip off Freds flask firsts

Tasha,I'm OK thanks for checking just don't feel like doing the packing & driving BS and the bird I listed earlier I will not travel with him,so if some one comes and picks him up I just may talk myself into going

Hey man I hate to hear that. I sure will miss helping and seeing you. If you need anything or if I can help in anyway please let me know

oneshot
10-24-2015, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=Chris L.;361783]All is not lost.. there will be the NAFEX dinner! beeerbeeer
The only thing that is changed is there will be no raffle. This will leave me more time to drink more beer and sip off Freds flask firsts

Chris DON"T DO IT!!!!!!! You don't know where Freds mouth has been!!!! :eek: :D

Chris L.
10-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Chris DON"T DO IT!!!!!!! You don't know where Freds mouth has been!!!! :eek: :D

helpp

DLemieux
10-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Darren:
I can pick you up at the airport if you get in a bind and can't find other transportation. Let me know.

Thank you for the offer Dan, I will keep you in mind. Right now I am waiting for confirmation from Aaron Allred, he's locking down some travel plans. If that doesn't work out is there an expiration on your offer or a date and time you need to know by before it's too late? If you can PM me your contact info in case I need it that would be great. Thanks again.

wyodjm
10-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Thank you for the offer Dan, I will keep you in mind. Right now I am waiting for confirmation from Aaron Allred, he's locking down some travel plans. If that doesn't work out is there an expiration on your offer or a date and time you need to know by before it's too late? If you can PM me your contact info in case I need it that would be great. Thanks again.

No problem. PM sent.

Steveo
11-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Head's up: I just called the Atrium hotel to double check my reservation (since I made it ~2 months ago and forgot what arrival date I chose) and they had no record of it. The confirmation number didn't hit and they couldn't find my name. I was able to rebook but they only had single bed rooms available.

Captain Gizmo
11-02-2015, 04:08 PM
Head's up: I just called the Atrium hotel to double check my reservation (since I made it ~2 months ago and forgot what arrival date I chose) and they had no record of it. The confirmation number didn't hit and they couldn't find my name. I was able to rebook but they only had single bed rooms available.

Steve,

I checked, My reservation is good to go for arrive 8, leave 14. I am booked for a two bed. I do not use the other bed except s a table for my workshop supplies. be happy to trade for a single.

Thomas of the Desert

David
11-02-2015, 04:44 PM
I just checked my reservation and they had it messed up. They had me checking in on the 7th and out the 8th. Short meet....... they were able to fix it. You may want to verify your reservation.

Steve,

I checked, My reservation is good to go for arrive 8, leave 14. I am booked for a two bed. I do not use the other bed except s a table for my workshop supplies. be happy to trade for a single.

Thomas of the Desert

FredFogg
11-07-2015, 08:43 AM
I will be there around 11 am today, anyone want to go hawking this afternoon?

skooky20
11-07-2015, 09:21 PM
We made it, got into hutch at around 12:30 today, am so stoked for my first nafa meet, already got hawking plans for tomorrow morning.

FredFogg
11-08-2015, 12:18 AM
We made it, got into hutch at around 12:30 today, am so stoked for my first nafa meet, already got hawking plans for tomorrow morning.

In the bar, where are you? LOL

wyodjm
11-15-2015, 07:41 PM
I was wondering what people thought of this year's meet. I don't have a bird at the moment so I focused mainly on seeing and catching up with old friends, including making a few new ones. It was the first NAFA Meet that I've been to in over 15 years. Times, they are a changing. There were many new faces at the meet.

For the folks who did attend, what did you think?

Ken S.
11-15-2015, 09:17 PM
I was wondering what people thought of this year's meet. I don't have a bird at the moment so I focused mainly on seeing and catching up with old friends, including making a few new ones. It was the first NAFA Meet that I've been to in over 15 years. Times, they are a changing. There were many new faces at the meet.

I may not be the best person to answer because I seem to find fun times wherever I go (life being so short and all that...) but I live all year long with anticipation of the annual trip away from the east coast to see old friends and even make some new ones. Seemed like it took some serious driving and scouting for game this year, but that's become pretty normal for meets and anybody that put in the effort was probably rewarded. I've gotta say...at this point the post-meet depression is starting and next year can't get here fast enough. How is it that some of my favorite people all live so damn far away?

Many thanks to the fine folks that volunteer to make these things happen!

Other than that...I always say what happens at the meet stays at the meet. Y'all want more details than that you should show up next time and find out how fun it is for yourselves. ;)

FredFogg
11-16-2015, 02:41 AM
I thought the meet was great! I was a little disappointed in the game numbers but I think that is because I was a little spoiled last year in Lubbock. There was game to be found but you had to get out there and find it.

I was disappointed in the vendors, but I have been at every meet I have ever attended. I can't understand why the major falconry suppliers aren't at the meet. Of course, this isn't the fault of the NAFA folks but those suppliers themselves. I have bought things online from everyone of the suppliers as I am sure a lot of folks do. It would be nice to see them selling their goods every year at the NAFA meet. Even if they didn't sell enough goods to offset the cost of going to the meet, it shows me that they care about the falconers that buy their products. By not showing up, it shows me all they care is about selling products and not about the folks who are buying their products.

I spoke with next years meet chairman, Ryan, and I like some of his ideas to spice things up in the evenings. Over the years, folks get in small groups and party together in the evenings. I think Ryan has some ideas to bring everyone together to have a good time in the evenings. Hanging out in the vending area every night gets a bit boring so I look forward to where everyone can hang out together and do something different.

But overall, I think my biggest disappointment was that the meet was just a bit too early for my falconry. I don't normally even try and have my birds hunting until the end of October, first part of November. I had to trap earlier than I normally do to have that bird ready and I had to pull the other bird earlier. I think the long wingers would like it a bit later as the ducks would be migrating better. I know there are a lot of obstacles to overcome having it later with other hunting seasons starting but everyone has to deal with all of those yearly at home too. My vote would be the week after Thanksgiving as I, along with others, could use the 2 days off the week of Thanksgiving to head on out west and get our birds acclimated and some hunting in before the actual meet starts. But I know the numbers this year for the meet were the highest ever besides the joint IFA/NAFA meet so that does show that having it a week besides Thanksgiving will have more folks coming so I am sure they will pick a week that works best for what the circumstances dictate.

But again, it was a great meet. I went a little slow on the bourbon and only drank a half gallon bottle while I was there so hopefully next time I will get a little more partying in. LOL :D

raptrlvr
11-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Fred, I have friends back east that haven't even started flying their birds this season. Here in the west/southwest our season starts in September and we do some usurious hawking by the time the NAFA meet rolls around no matter when it is. I didn't make it to the meet this year because I am catching jacks every day I go out in the field locally. I am planning on making it to the Western Desert Classic meet the 2nd week of December just because its a lot closer to my house than Kansas was.

NMHighPlains
11-16-2015, 10:14 AM

I've been going to NAFA meets since 1984, although I've missed a bunch in between. I thought this one was "average" on the whole. Now, don't get me wrong.... "average" is still a lot of fun! peacee What makes meets stand out for me are: scenery (Vernal), game (Amarillo or Lamar on good years), a particular standout speaker (Steve Layman, Steve Martin, Karen Pryor), vendors (Northwoods in their heyday), getting to play music (me and Bob Martin in Woodward OK), or meeting someone who ends up being a life-long friend (I'm not dead yet, so we'll see who goes the distance).

None of these were real standouts. I met some new friends but need to see how pan out over the years. The vendors were good but the same folks we've seen for the past several years. Game was hard to find but it was there, esp if you were willing to drive a couple of hours. Kansas had its scenic moments but it's no Vernal. And so forth.

Highlights for me- 1) getting to meet some new faces and some on-line-only faces in person, 2) jamming in the lobby with Jeff, 3) the stand up/sit down raffle on the last night. 4) Chris's shrimp boil. Tavo/Terrance's talk would have made the list but I already knew what they do so it wasn't all new like Steve Layman's first talk or watching Steve Martin work his birds for the first time. So, Honorable Runner-Up there.

This is not meant to be critical or negative in any way- I know the meets take a LOT of HARD work and different people get different things from the same event. It's just that the longer I do these things, the more life-time highlights have already accumulated and the harder it is for something new to come along and make me say "Whoa...that was killer!" I will say this- I was ready to come home Thurs but my boys wanted to stay Friday and help put the weathering yard down. Friday ended up being the best day of the week for me- I had some relatively non-egotistical and funny discussions, played some music, helped with the yard, swam, and had fun at the banquet.

Looking forward to the next one.

Paul Mascuch
11-16-2015, 11:38 AM
I enjoyed seeing old friends at the meet this year. The earlier timing of the meet seemed to help attendance, but the earlier date hurt me as my bird was not quite ready and the ducks had not really showed up in Kansas yet. One day we checked 100 ponds and didn't see a duck.

I didn't catch anything at the meet, but I did get a 4 point buck Saturday on the way back home. Unfortunately I did it while driving Jim Frazier's truck. We hit the deer 6 miles short of our destination for the night in Evanston, Wyoming. My wife had to drive my truck from Boise and retrieve us. Jim's truck was not driveable and is still in Wyoming.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz99/PLBS1234/Jims%20Truck_zps0rgfnxol.jpg (http://s817.photobucket.com/user/PLBS1234/media/Jims%20Truck_zps0rgfnxol.jpg.html)

Paul

Tasha55403
11-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Ouch!!! That's gotta hurt Paul :eek:
In general, it was a good meet. The weather kinda sucked and the game wasn't great, but the people were wonderful and that's the really important part :) Everyone seemed to like our hoods and we sold a fair amount which was really, really nice.

Personally, it was probably at the bottom of my list of favorite meets. Nothing to do with the meet itself though. Our clutch went out about 200 miles from Hutchinson. Brian used some magic (and a whole lotta luck) to get us to the meet hotel somehow, but we were without a vehicle all week which really limited us. Then I came down with a cold Tuesday night to make it even better.

Brian built us a really cool dog box setup in the truck which was absolutely fantastic except for the 2 days the truck was in the shop and we had nowhere to put 9 dogs. We had a chain gang set up which worked really slick, but we had to borrow a big kennel from a friend and Brian had to walk over to the Tractor Supply to buy a few smaller kennels so we could bring the dogs in the hotel room overnight since the tow truck was 3 hours late and they didn't get it fixed on Thursday like it was supposed to frus) So, I spent Thursday and Friday watching 9 dogs on a chain gang instead of going hawking.

I only got out hawking twice all week and slips were tough to get. We did get a few slips though and on the second trip out (with Michael Beran's crew) we managed to get 2 bunnies in the bag. It was great getting to see one of our pups from the last litter working! Zoidberg/Hermann is doing a fantastic job and he's only 6 months old amennn

croelke
11-16-2015, 02:40 PM
We (my fiancee and I) enjoyed the meet. It was our second NAFA meet. We found and caught game, but had to drive, which was ok. I was actually impressed with the banquet in terms of organization and food. We are excited about Oklahoma next year.

I think the dates were about right, but would be ok with the first week of December as well. I don't think NAFA should ever be held over Thanksgiving again. Personally, I would give up time over the holiday, but many falconers have family obligations. Our THA meet is as big as the NAFA meet in our good years and their down years, so I want to go to a big meet with a lot of people. Thanksgiving just isn't a time to get everyone there.

I know the slips could be a bit tough to come by. I also know they didn't have the choice of locations they wanted. I think in future years you will see a focus on game numbers and picking the right dates for the right places with regards to game.

skooky20
11-16-2015, 09:19 PM
this was my first nafa meet and i thought it was great, i found game fairly easily, i did however scout online for possible places before ever leaving. i caught game and never saw so many pheasants in my life. looking forward to future meets.

forestfalcon
11-17-2015, 11:25 AM
This was only my second NAFA meet, my first was in 2010 when I was pregnant, nauseous, and tired. There was more game in 2010, but I definitely had more fun this year. Because it wasn't over thanksgiving this year, I was able to be there for the banquet.

I met tons of new people, or people that only had online personas before this trip. I made several new friends this year.

I got out to KS on Tuesday night, and lost all of Wednesday as we were blown to Oz, so only had Thursday and Friday to hawk, but still managed to put a bunny in the bag. I wish I had more time out there to go out hawking with more people, but there's always next year.

I liked the week it was held, but I've also been hawking since September. Thanksgiving week is tough for me because of family obligations.

Can't wait until next year!

JeffNH
11-17-2015, 01:22 PM
This was my 1st meet so I don't have a comparison to weigh it against. I truly had a blast. I didn't bring a bird as I wasn't sure what to expect and took the opportunity to experience different types of falconry that I don't see in NH. EX: spent a day out for ducks and doves with a barbary/gyr, followed by a gos on pheasants, gos on rabbits in 50 mph winds...what a hoot, an eagle on jacks and rabbits. The food highlights for me were the shrimp boil and the dinners spent with great company. I made some new friends, got to play with Bryan and realized it has been way to long since I've tinkered in the blue grass arena, (thank you for your patience, truly enjoyed playing and singing with you and lovely wife :) . Got to spend time with several different families and found that when you share the same passion everything seams to gel relatively easy. Shared stories and met some old timers that were a lot of fun to talk about decades gone by!
I felt the hotel and staff were incredibly accommodating. That went a long way to making this trip stress free.
Bring on Oklahoma!