PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

tmshaffer
02-13-2007, 04:56 PM
I am a newbie who has always had a dream to fly a falcon. I am currently getting out of breeding snakes and looking for a new life long hobby. I am currently gathering the books to start to study for my test. And will eventually look for a person to assist me in a few months.

everetkhorton
02-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy the site. Feel free to post in as many areas as you like. You will enjoy reading some of the past post. I am one that likes to see a person sign there real name to there post. I see you are from Fl. What game to you have to fly at in your area.

Jimmy
02-13-2007, 06:14 PM
looking for a new life long hobby.

Be warned. Falconry is addictive. It has a strange way of becoming much more than just a hobby.

`Chris L.
02-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Tm,
Welcome to the board. There are a couple of fellow snake breeders on this board as well. I am one, and I breed ball pyhtons. Another guy names Chris kimble also breeds. You dont have to give up snake breeding to be a falconer . I now of several other falconers that are avid snake breeders like Chris and I. I know I just do it for fun. So we will see, what type did/do you breed?

I want to wish you luck in your falconry quest. I must say it is a challenge to become a falconer but it is well worth it. If you need any help or just want to ask questions please dont hesitate to ask. We all will be more than happy to help you out.

again , welcome and I hope you enjoy the forums

tmshaffer
02-13-2007, 10:19 PM
The snakes just seemed to be more about money than enjoyment. I am selling almost all of my ball pythons. I will keep the boas and also the Womas. Just seemed to be to much like a job and less like a hobby. Always wanted to fly birds. There are a few areas that I could go after rabbits or birds. And I also breed rats so food would not be to much of an issue. If anyone is near me please let me know. I owuld love to meet as many people as possible to study and get more help. Todd
Snake wise
2.2 pastels
.3 adult females
2.2 womas
1.1 boas
1.1 milksnakes
1.1 whitesided bullsnakes

everetkhorton
02-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Todd:
If we get many more people breeding rat you guys can form a Rat Pack.
I would guess you would have to be over 45 years old to know who was in the Rat Pack [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] Remember to have fun [smilie=banana.gif] First and formost, the bird always come first always.

tmshaffer
02-13-2007, 11:21 PM
I have so many rats right now I would be happy to share the wealth. I have heard of Frank, Dean and Sammy.Having as many snakes as I do I have to breed my own.

everetkhorton
02-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Todd:
You are right [smilie=wav.gif]

tmshaffer
02-14-2007, 07:21 AM
I worked as a waiter at a country club. They ahd their favorites. New York New York. And many of Franks older songs and they were old school.

`Chris L.
02-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Todd,
There are a few of us who breed rats on here as well. It really is a cheap source of food and since you have done it you will have plenty in the freezer and have a great head start.

Are any of the snakes you are selling prooven. I may be interested in them..
PM me with some of their wieghts and some info..

CLICK HERE TO PM ME (http://www.nafex.net/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=2)

tmshaffer
02-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Also I would need a sponsor if anyone is aware of one in Florida.

Jimmy
02-14-2007, 10:26 AM
You need to get in touch with the florida club.
www.f-h-f.org

wesleyc6
02-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Welcome!

Zach Gorman is on here and he is a Florida falconer and a good source of info. He hunts squirrels with a RT and does a fine job of it. Look him up.

If there is anything we can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask. As far as a sponsor, I will let you know what MOST people expect. They expect you to already be reading and learning on your own. They will expect you to go out often with them to make sure you really like "hunting" and that you can take the thought of finishing off a squirrel or rabbit with your hands. Also just to make sure you get along. It is important! Some will expect even more of you and some will expect less. Try to find a sponsor that is an active falconer the wants to share his/her knowledge and that takes game. Just my helpful hints. It is a 2 year relationship at the least and a lifelong friendship at best!

Happy hawking,
Wes

Jimmy
02-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Try to find a sponsor that is an active falconer that wants to share his/her knowledge and that takes game.

Heavy emphasis on the taking game part.

wesleyc6
02-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Bingo!!!! If you don't catch stuff, it just gets frustrating or at least to me it does.

everetkhorton
02-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Wes:
I have to agree, if your not taking game with your bird it can get real
frustrating, and you start changing things around. All bird will at one point
get in a slump, with new birds some of them just take longer depending some times on when you trapped them. I do not start to bring my birds weight down until the leave start falling off the trees. The season start about 90 days before this happens but there is no since in having a bird sit around at there flying weight for a long period of time, IMO.

tmshaffer
02-15-2007, 01:22 PM
At the start and where I live and the mass migration of people out of this state. I would be happy to find a sponsor who lived in my town.

`Chris L.
02-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Todd,

As Wes said, dont hesitate to ask questions here. There is alot of great falconers on here and it is always good to get your name out there and show people you are intrested...maybe a sponsor will step up and fill the spot for you.

good luck

tmshaffer
02-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Sorry I thought I fixed that in my posts and profile.

`Chris L.
02-15-2007, 04:42 PM
thanks man.. I really appreicate it.. keep us posted on your progress

tmshaffer
02-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Searching for more study guides as we speak. Running an aid station for an ultra marathon this weekend. I will have time to read one of the other falconry books I have come across.