PDA

View Full Version : Helen Macdonald ~ "H isfor Hawk"

Tierfalc
03-30-2015, 10:25 PM
HELEN MACDONALD, British falconer and acclaimed author of "H is for Hawk" will be on a speaking & book signing tour this April. You will find her a delightful person, well worth going to meet. You can contact the booksellers about purchasing signed books if you are unable to attend. All American and British first editions are sold out, but it may be possible to obtain signed Canadian first editions from Ben McNally Books in Toronto. Her book is already a classic, and deservedly so.

April 7 7:00 PM: HARVARD BOOKSTORE, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, MA
April 8 7:30 PM: GREENLIGHT BOOKSTORE, 686 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, NY
April 10 7:00 PM: NORTHSHIRE BOOKSTORE, 4869 Main St., Manchester Center, VT
April 11 7:00 PM: NORTHSHIRE BOOKSTORE, 424 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY
April 12 4:00 PM: OBLONG BOOKS AND MUSIC, 6422 Montgomery Street (Rt. 9), Rhinebeck, NY
April 14 7:00 PM: GREEN APPLE BOOKS ON THE PARK, 1231 9th Avenue, San Francisco, CA
April 15 7:00 PM: POINT REYES BOOKS, Point Reyes Presbyterian Church, 11445 Shoreline Highway, Point Reyes, CA
April 16 7:00 PM: THIRD PLACE BOOKS,Lake Forest Park Town Center, 17171 Bothell Way N.E., Seattle, WA

Peter Devers, tierfalc@aol.com

goshawkr
03-31-2015, 12:58 AM
HELEN MACDONALD, British falconer and acclaimed author of "H is for Hawk" will be on a speaking & book signing tour this April. You will find her a delightful person, well worth going to meet. You can contact the booksellers about purchasing signed books if you are unable to attend. All American and British first editions are sold out, but it may be possible to obtain signed Canadian first editions from Ben McNally Books in Toronto. Her book is already a classic, and deservedly so.

April 12 4:00 PM: OBLONG BOOKS AND MUSIC, 6422 Montgomery Street (Rt. 9), Rhinebeck, NY
April 14 7:00 PM: GREEN APPLE BOOKS ON THE PARK, 1231 9th Avenue, San Francisco, CA
April 15 7:00 PM: POINT REYES BOOKS, Point Reyes Presbyterian Church, 11445 Shoreline Highway, Point Reyes, CA
April 16 7:00 PM: THIRD PLACE BOOKS,Lake Forest Park Town Center, 17171 Bothell Way N.E., Seattle, WA

Thanks for posting this. I am reading her book now, and will see what I can do about meeting her when she is in Seattle.

Does anyone happen to have a way to get in touch with her? Anyone in the UK friends with her?

Steve Vaughan
03-31-2015, 05:50 AM
Thanks for posting this. I am reading her book now, and will see what I can do about meeting her when she is in Seattle.

Does anyone happen to have a way to get in touch with her? Anyone in the UK friends with her?

Geoff,

A Long shot! But try contacting Tony James, I don't know if he personally knows her but he probably knows someone who does. Steve.

mainefalconer
03-31-2015, 08:32 AM

Geoff.... if you want to send her a message, shoot me an email today.
She's here now (flew in last night from Canada) and will be staying here for the next several days before running off to the schedule that Mr. Devers has kindly shared...

Tony James
04-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Geoff,

A Long shot! But try contacting Tony James, I don't know if he personally knows her but he probably knows someone who does. Steve.

Hi Steve, Geoff.

Sorry I was a bit slow picking up on this, but it looks like Scott has come to the rescue.
Geoff, if you get the chance to meet up with Helen, do, she's lovely.

Best wishes,

Tony.

kitana
04-01-2015, 07:21 PM
This book is a gem. I just finished it, took me 2 days at most, I burnt through it. I wish it was available in French, I could share it with all my friends and relatives. Being a falconer was a plus when reading "H", but the messages conveyed by this book are for everyone, falconer or not.

goshawkr
04-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Hi Steve, Geoff.

Sorry I was a bit slow picking up on this, but it looks like Scott has come to the rescue.
Geoff, if you get the chance to meet up with Helen, do, she's lovely.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Thanks Tony.

Scott has indeed put me in touch with her. Or is that her in touch with me? Not sure, but she does have a way to contact me and an email from me in her inbox.

I'll definitely (barring some emergency) meet her at her book signing, at the very least.

Now I need to get my hands on a non-kindle version of her book. Disadvantage number 1 to ebooks.... :D

goshawkr
04-01-2015, 10:38 PM
This book is a gem. I just finished it, took me 2 days at most, I burnt through it. I wish it was available in French, I could share it with all my friends and relatives. Being a falconer was a plus when reading "H", but the messages conveyed by this book are for everyone, falconer or not.

Audrey,

Why don't you just read it to them? It would be great family bonding time! ;)

kitana
04-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Audrey,

Why don't you just read it to them? It would be great family bonding time! ;)

Geoff, you made my day! Alas translating while reading out loud isn't one of my best abilities... frus) lol

americansharpy
04-02-2015, 08:43 AM
Im teaching a class April 12th. Wish I could have gone up to Rhinebeck.

Chesapeakehawk
04-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Almost finished the book and enjoying it very much! I've enjoyed learning some of the historical tidbits sprinkled throughout the book as much as I've enjoyed the greater content and messages of the book as a whole. Both Saratoga Springs and Rhinebeck are 3.5 hours away, too bad there is no time for a detour to Cornell on the schedule--a talk at the Laboratory of Ornithology would be very well received I should think. Tim Gallagher's talk last year had excellent attendance and the hawk cams have sparked a large interest in raptors in general.

Tierfalc
04-16-2015, 03:40 PM
SIGNED "H IS FOR HAWKS" books by Helen Macdonald are available from Oblong Books & Music in Rhinebeck, NY. These are 1st American editions, 4th impression. Price is $26 + $7 shipping. Orders over $50 are shipped free via USPS media mail. Helen gave a delightful talk here on April 12th. www.oblongbooks.com (http://www.oblongbooks.com)

Genova_A
04-16-2015, 11:20 PM
I never got an opportunity to read the book :(, but I keep hearing great reviews of it! I will for sure have to buy myself a copy to read.

kekekwag
04-17-2015, 09:26 AM
I wish she'd have hit a few of the interior-USA cities such as Chicago. The itinerary seems to be the coastal-state tour.

jmnucci
04-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Maybe she should make a return trip. Say, Hays,KS, mid November???

goshawkr
04-17-2015, 12:22 PM

I saw her last night at the Seattle signing event. She is definitely a "no" for KS, but hopes to come out to a NAFA meet soon after. What state is supposed to be in the rotation after KS? Iowa??

mainefalconer
04-18-2015, 08:14 AM

Justin....
I'm a step ahead of you on that one. :D I tried to pin her down to speak at the KS meet, but she is already scheduled to be speaking in Spain that week, so it's a no go. I'm pretty sure I've got her lined up to speak at the 2016 NAFA meet though. Stay tuned.