PDA

View Full Version : Health certs for NAFA meet?

forestfalcon
11-01-2017, 12:40 PM
It seems a little vague if we need health certificates for birds and dogs when bringing them to the meet. I'm planning on getting HCs for my crew, but I'm a little unclear as to what is necessary. Is it just a health certificate from any old vet, or is it like Colorado where we need a HC from a level II Ag certified vet?
Thanks in advance!

rkumetz
11-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Is there any other state as over reaching in their regulations as Colorado? :>)

Hawkmom
11-07-2017, 05:05 PM
It needs the level II AG certified vet. I travel a lot with my birds and I make sure that vet certs of that type.

FredFogg
11-07-2017, 05:25 PM
This is what the NAFA Meet page says:

https://n-a-f-a.site-ym.com/events/EventDetails.aspx?id=936871

Ross
11-08-2017, 08:29 AM
The level 2 accreditation is needed for a vet to write a health certificate for any type of bird, exotic animal or livestock. Level one accreditation is limited to dogs and cats.

rkumetz
11-08-2017, 10:19 AM
The level 2 accreditation is needed for a vet to write a health certificate for any type of bird, exotic animal or livestock. Level one accreditation is limited to dogs and cats.

That sort of limits where VT falconers are going. The last vet willing to even see BOP within 3 hours of here is getting ready to retire.

wyodjm
11-08-2017, 10:53 AM
That sort of limits where VT falconers are going. The last vet willing to even see BOP within 3 hours of here is getting ready to retire.

Hi Ron:

Aren't there any local vets around that you could get to know and build a relationship with? The health certificate is basically a formality. Everytime I've ever gotten one the vet simply looked at the bird, asked me if it was eating and acting normal. They checked the appropriate boxes, signed it and off I went. I think there was a $20 fee. But I haven't needed to get one in years. I hope you find a cooperative vet.

All my best.

rkumetz
11-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Hi Ron:

Aren't there any local vets around that you could get to know and build a relationship with? The health certificate is basically a formality. Everytime I've ever gotten one the vet simply looked at the bird, asked me if it was eating and acting normal. They checked the appropriate boxes, signed it and off I went. I think there was a $20 fee. But I haven't needed to get one in years. I hope you find a cooperative vet.

All my best.

I had a similar deal for health certs which prevented me from having to drive the 3hrs to the vet that is retiring. Even at 40-50 bucks it was a bargain compared to a 6 hour round trip but that vet worked for a local practice and has since left. Every once in a while I call some of the locals to see if the situation has changed but none of them even want to see birds of any kind. I also doubt that she had the appropriate certification working for a dog & cat practice to meet the requirements previously mentioned. VT asks for a health cert for imports but has not been very specific about the details. Most likely because we don't really have a poultry industry.

keitht
11-08-2017, 12:25 PM

I live an hour away from a very large city - St Louis. Yet I know of only one vet who has the certification. This is something that most vets do not worry with because it isn't worth their time to acquire. It's a growing problem and more and more becoming a real issue when deciding whether to sell my birds to those in states that require certificates.

keitht
11-08-2017, 02:18 PM

I live an hour away from a very large city - St Louis. Yet I know of only one vet who has the certification. This is something that most vets do not worry with because it isn't worth their time to acquire. It's a growing problem and more and more becoming a real issue when deciding whether to sell my birds to those in states that require certificates.