PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Iowa

Wakinyeja
06-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Hello:
Im new to Falconry, have always been fascinated by it. However until my kids were raised I didn't have time. Now that I do, I would like to learn and eventually be involved with the sport.
J

wesleyc6
06-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Glad to have you here. We like for you to use a real first name. Kind of like a family here. Ask any questions you have. There are some great falconers on here and guys that specialize in almost any bird you can think of. Lots of retail flyers on here.

everetkhorton
06-16-2008, 12:43 AM
J
(welc) There are a lot of post that you can go back over. There is some real good reading. A lot of subject have covered in the past.
Have fun!

Wakinyeja
06-16-2008, 12:51 AM
My real name is just as bad as the other name. Its Jauson.. Ju-s-son... but French..so the Ju... is really more like a Ja.... however Im from N.Am... ( You ask for it LOL) Glad this group is more like family as I do have allot to learn. I don't want to get in trouble for asking questions.. because I will ask.
Im an animal trainer by trade. The birds of pray have always been a fascination of mine, yet the one animal I have never had a chance to get my hands on. Now with my sons grown.. I have cut down on other animals and have the time it will take to dedicate my self to this dream. Here in IA pray is year round. Rabbits are year round.. just here on the ranch is plenty.
I know little about hawk behavior. All I know is from reading, or the one wild one I had for over 5yrs. I say had.. I use that term loosely. I assume wild Red Tails are territorial. I say this because my hawk ( or maybe I was his?) would keep other hawks away. The deal was I would feed him, and he kept other birds of pray from eating my chickens.. and he was full so really didn't have the urge. Thats all I know about birds of pray.. they take bribes.
If there is someone close.. or a school I would like to know about it. I would love to just observe for a while.
Jauson

Wakinyeja
06-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Yes... I have been reading now for a few hours and will not get through them all tonight. You all really have very informative posts.. can't stop reading..

kimmerar
06-16-2008, 01:02 AM
(welc) Jauson. Yes there is a lot of info that has been typed the last few years - wow has it been that long. Family is right. This forum helped my apprenticeship ALOT!!!

I recommend contacting your state club. Falconers always need others to beat brush. And if you have bunnies available that should help alot.

I'm sure this has all been mentioned before.

Good luck and ask away. No one here ever said I asked a stupid question - or at least not publicly:D.

Wakinyeja
06-16-2008, 01:14 AM
No.. that hasn't been mentioned before. I don't even know where to find a state club? I have Googled Iowa falconry on more then one occasion only to get cars. I will try and figure out how to post photos and post a pic of the bunnies I have round here.. We have cotton tails too.. everywhere.. PLEASE come hunt them!

Wakinyeja
06-16-2008, 01:31 AM
This is my 30" Standard Poodle I use for hunting. She is with a half grown Flemish Giant.. Im sure If nothing else I can use the Flemish for food for the birds when pray is scarce.. I have just never known it to be scare around here.
I put 2 links because I don't know how this forum works yet and I hope one of them does.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6987/lacyivy3fi2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://imageshack.us%5D%5Bimg=http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6987/lacyivy3fi2.jpg%5D

kimmerar
06-16-2008, 01:56 AM
http://www.iowafalconer.com/

I hope this works. There is a contact page available with everything you should need to get started. Good luck. Love the pic there BTW. That's different than what most post. Usually the dog is chasing and trying to catch the rabbit!!

Wakinyeja
06-16-2008, 02:03 AM
Yes the link worked.. Thank you VERY much.. now I have something to do other then sleep tonight *grins*

Lacy does hunt, she will flush birds, retrieve in water, and land, as well as tree coon. I train animals so I have Longhorn cattle and buffalo that you can ride, and they do tricks.. the rabbit is potty trained and everyone gets along.. its just part of the way the house is set up. My(out door) cat even babysits the baby chicks. Ok.. so we all need therapy LOL.. but the dog does hunt.. just only when told. After all any good hunter will not take it upon them selves to run a muck.. they will wait to be ask to hunt, and possibly even what they may hunt. Lacey is no different.

everetkhorton
06-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Jauson:
That would be different, riding a buffalo instead of a horse to hunt off from. Harry M would love to see that. Jauson be sure and sigh your post, this can be done auto by going in to the User CP. Better watch out if you have rabbit you will draw gamehawker<G>. Have fun and try and get some sleep:D

Wakinyeja
06-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Will do about signing my post. Thanks for letting me learn kindly...
I think what attracts me the most to the birds is the fact I have worked with many wild animals. They don't "train" per-say but agree to comply. You share them, or their space in a way I think you all can understand.. but a dog owner would not.
I have been a hunter ever since I was 7 and my Dad propped a .22 up on a fence post for me. When you add the skill of hunting with the relationship of the bird.. its attractive to me. Then.. there is the fact its a bird. It is free to leave and never return, (yes like the other animals.. but still different somehow) The fact food is survival, and it hunts for man. I don't want to walk through this life with out experiencing that relationship. There is a knowledge there that only each bird can teach me. I can't imagine spending years on this earth, and never experiencing that.

Here is a pic of Freedom, my favorite riding steer bowing.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/791/wallybow2pt4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Jauson

everetkhorton
06-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Jauson:
Great photo, some could say thats a lot of bull.toungeout <G> How does the steer ride compared to a horse?

Wakinyeja
06-16-2008, 12:28 PM
I started riding steers after a bad accident that left me in horrible back pain. This was 1999.. Im fine now..but.. The horses spook.. this is bad if you already hurt and are just trying to stay put in the saddle. Horses rear.. again.. not the best thing if your already in pain. Horses are bumpy.. this brought me to tears when I would just walk down the road. When I started riding steers I loved it. I could still ride down by the river, go mushroom hunting in places I could never get to any other way. I could still hunt and pack in.. My life wasn't crippled just because I was. Steers are much safer! I have also used them in endurance and found when conditioned they can go 25 miles a day, every day vs the 50 I put on my horse. Still.. 25 miles isn't bad and knowing I will not be tossed in the dirt, drug.. or in need of a pick up 10 counties away.. I can compromise with that. *grins* I do still own a very nice horse that takes very good care of me. Im sure when I get to hunting with a bird it will be him I use due to the need for speed. I can't wait for the day that my dog, my horse/steer and the bird and I can all go out and enjoy the day together, work together...

Wakinyeja
06-16-2008, 12:30 PM
I posted some pictures of my old Hawk on the Red Tail board.. Just in case anyone likes photos?

kimmerar
06-16-2008, 01:19 PM
I can't wait for the day that my dog, my horse/steer and the bird and I can all go out and enjoy the day together, work together...

That is a great visual. I really hope that all works out for you. I want to see pics of that set up. Sounds like a wonderful plan.

Wakinyeja
06-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks to you all I have made contact with the Iowa club and written for the suggested information.. books that they advised. I think I should read all of what was suggested before looking for a mentor. So for now.. waiting for books to arrive. And reading all I can.

Ted Bell
06-16-2008, 03:01 PM
I can't wait for the day that my dog, my horse/steer and the bird and I can all go out and enjoy the day together, work together...

Cool - a ride with two built in perches! Will a steer let you wrap their horns in astroturf? :D

.... go mushroom hunting in places I could never get to any other way.

Ah hah! Finally a good use for a Red Shoulder! :D

Sorry - probably should have taken my meds this morning. Don't ban me Wes. ;)

-Ted

Wakinyeja
06-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Never tried astro turf.. His name is Freedom and I have wrapped them in bells so "Freedom could ring" Im sure he would like the astro turf better..

everetkhorton
06-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Jauson
5 years ago I put in three different material on my perches, Astro turf, stadium turf and rope. I had been using Astro turf for over 25 years with no problem. I kept hearing how good the other material was, I changed back to Astro turf this spring. No more changes for me. JMO

Wakinyeja
06-17-2008, 10:18 AM
When the wonderful day comes that I get my first bird.. I will remember that.. Thanks

pjdonat
06-18-2008, 10:28 AM
We like for you to use a real first name. Kind of like a family here. Ask any questions you have.

Ahh yes, nothing warms the soul like fond memories of the family gatherings. The crazy brother-in-law (after too much beer) prattling on in the corner about the oddest things beeer , getting grounded for smacking the little brothers around boxingg, and half the people staying on one side of the room to avoid the other half :D . lmao It's amazing I grew up to be so well maladjusted as I did. crazyy lol Very sorry, I had to say it. I just couldn't help myself with all the mentioning of being a family style atmosphere on here. Sad thing is though, that is a typical holiday at the parents' house. Well atleast now that my little brothers and I are older, I don't get grounded anymore. lol ;)
-Paul-

wesleyc6
06-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Ahh yes, nothing warms the soul like fond memories of the family gatherings. The crazy brother-in-law (after too much beer) prattling on in the corner about the oddest things beeer , getting grounded for smacking the little brothers around boxingg, and half the people staying on one side of the room to avoid the other half :D . lmao It's amazing I grew up to be so well maladjusted as I did. crazyy lol Very sorry, I had to say it. I just couldn't help myself with all the mentioning of being a family style atmosphere on here. Sad thing is though, that is a typical holiday at the parents' house. Well atleast now that my little brothers and I are older, I don't get grounded anymore. lol ;)
-Paul-

That is pretty funny Paul and pretty accurate. So in that vein, it is definitely a family atmosphere here:eek:

pjdonat
06-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Sweet, I call dibs on the crazy brother-in-law spot. Got my Black Velvet and Crown Royal ready to go. lol I can't do beer. Most of it gives me a wicked headache after about half way through number two. Plus there are far fewer carbs in whiskey. HOOORAY FOR WHISKEY!!!!! clapp lmao
-Paul-

Wakinyeja
06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Isn't it the cwazy relative that is the one that saves you from boredom at family dinners? Im absolutely sure it is the drunk relative that tells the stuffy Aunt just how stuffy she is and makes everyone laugh.. so ya.. your cool.. Good relative to have around *smiles*

pjdonat
06-24-2008, 12:33 AM
I could only wish my sister's husband were cool like that. He usually gets more vocal on how great he is with each beer. He doesn't seem to understand the old expression, "You can polish a turd, but it still smells." frus
-Paul-

pjdonat
06-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Oh, I almost forgot, when I am generally telling someone how stuffy they are I generally play to their arrogance and insult them to their face by cracking jokes that they generally don't seem to realize is at their expense. Plus I do it sober, it makes it more fun that way. Like the song says "Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein." :D
-Paul-

Wakinyeja
09-02-2008, 09:34 PM
I didn't really know where to post this, so I thought why not on my old HI Ya'all thread.

Thank you everyone that has helped me to get started on something I have wanted since I visited the AF academy at age 7. Living in Iowa with Red Tails everywhere.. it just seemed like something huge was missing.
Thanks to this board I found someone, also apprenticing, Just a few miles away. Out here in no mans land.. thats a real feat. His sponsor has one opening.. so.. Im hoping.. cross your fingers, he will take me when Im ready and have my mews done and test taken.
This kind stranger has offered to help with my mews, has showed me how equipment is used and so on.. all because of this board..
Im sure others have benefited.. I also know how much time it takes to maintain this board.. so .. Thank you..
Jauson

chamokane
09-02-2008, 11:58 PM
I didn't really know where to post this, so I thought why not on my old HI Ya'all thread.

Thank you everyone that has helped me to get started on something I have wanted since I visited the AF academy at age 7. Living in Iowa with Red Tails everywhere.. it just seemed like something huge was missing.
Thanks to this board I found someone, also apprenticing, Just a few miles away. Out here in no mans land.. thats a real feat. His sponsor has one opening.. so.. Im hoping.. cross your fingers, he will take me when Im ready and have my mews done and test taken.
This kind stranger has offered to help with my mews, has showed me how equipment is used and so on.. all because of this board..
Im sure others have benefited.. I also know how much time it takes to maintain this board.. so .. Thank you..
Jauson

Jauson,

I'm glad you found some folks to help you get started. I think you already have a good base to build on. You understand the central premise of falconry: "hawks take bribes," you know how to hunt, and you have experience getting animals to cooperate with you. I think you should do well.

I like the picture of your saddle steer. I've been curious about riding steers lately, and I also got bored and built a cart for my pointer to pull me around in. I've read that people have trained moose for riding and pulling. Moose come into my yard and they are so impressive that they make my imagination run away. Have you heard of this?

Wakinyeja
09-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Thank you.. Steers are awesome.. really. try www.ridingsteers.com you may enjoy it. We also have a nice message board with many good people. I have a wagon for my Standard Poodle as well. She is HUGE and to have a cart.. well.. *faints* I was born with out the "fix it" gene.. so can't drive a nail. Would love to see a pic of yours however. I think animals are happier when they have a job. Even birds of pray that just hunt, and sleep.. they hunt.. thats their job and thats when they are happiest.
Im happiest when Im reaping the rewards of their joy *grins*

by the way.. Im a moose freak too, would have one but summers would kill them in Iowa Im afraid. Google Moose, then do the Images thing and you will see a guy that uses a bull moose to do draft work, He's a nice guy.. you can write him.

chamokane
09-03-2008, 01:01 AM
Thank you.. Steers are awesome.. really. try www.ridingsteers.com (http://www.ridingsteers.com) you may enjoy it. We also have a nice message board with many good people. I have a wagon for my Standard Poodle as well. She is HUGE and to have a cart.. well.. *faints* I was born with out the "fix it" gene.. so can't drive a nail. Would love to see a pic of yours however. I think animals are happier when they have a job. Even birds of pray that just hunt, and sleep.. they hunt.. thats their job and thats when they are happiest.
Im happiest when Im reaping the rewards of their joy *grins*

by the way.. Im a moose freak too, would have one but summers would kill them in Iowa Im afraid. Google Moose, then do the Images thing and you will see a guy that uses a bull moose to do draft work, He's a nice guy.. you can write him.

Thanks for the info on the steers and moose. On a PBS documentary about the building of the Trans Canadian Railroad, they showed a photo of two moose hitched to a freight wagon.

Here's a pic of the dog cart. It's just a small garden cart with a boat seat, dorsal hitch, and bicycle brakes added. The hitch is made from 3/4" EMT (electrical conduit). The harness is a skijoring harness with extra padding added.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r50/chamokane/cart.jpg

Zarafia
09-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Wow Dave. I just dont even know what to say. Thats awesome!
Its a shame you dont have more spare time on your hands. I think serious competitive moose-driving might be right up your alley.

Wakinyeja
09-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Thats awesome.. I love that.. how cool! sad things is Im so inept when it comes to building anything.. the part where you said what you used.. Im like Charley Brown.. all I heard was "blah blah blah" I did hear garden cart though.. we have an old fashion black smith here.. maybe he could help me? Honestly I love being single when its dinner time and I don't have to cook.. but it stinks when I want something built *grins*
How does your dog like it? Looks like his is a husky fellow

Wakinyeja
09-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Its a shame you dont have more spare time on your hands. I think serious competitive moose-driving might be right up your alley.

Hey.. thats a sport I could get into.. Serious competitive Moose driving.. Oh ya.. I can see a team of those big boys at the draft pulls now..

You really should not give people like us any more ideas then we already have.. you do know that... right?

Zarafia
09-03-2008, 01:28 AM
I have a big percheron and I've gone to a couple pulls (as a spectator). My horse drives but I never have. I always would think about it though because my Cutie is a really high strung draft like the horses I've seen at the pulls. In fact the last one I went to one of the belgiums stroked out after the first round right there waiting to do the second. People think of drafts as mellow. Some of them are wound up as tight as an arab.
At that last pull though, they had a competition between a team of belgiums and a team of oxen. The horses won, but those oxen were certainly powerful.
I'd watch competetive moose-driving on the Ocho (ESPN 8) PMSL.

Wakinyeja
09-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Draft horses are mellow. My family is the Gray's, well known in the draft horse world and first to start Pony pulling. What happens is they are only used for pulling and those horses get so good at it they will litterly count bricks. They are like a football player before a intense play. I have seen them have heart attacks too, while being harnessed, they get phyced. Its not cruel, its not abuse.. they are just ready for the game, and some are gamier than others.
Take that same horse and have it at home, not at a pull with the loud speakers etc. and he is a trusted draft horse for the hay wagon, or the kids to crawl on. He's home, and he knows it.

Zarafia
09-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Oh, dont get me wrong, I dont think the pulls are cruel. Otherwise I wouldnt keep going to them. Those horses are amazing, their sheer strength and determination.
My percheron though is as high strung as an arab halter horse. He has had a questionable past though, all I know for sure about him is that I've been lied to about him. The lady I got him from said he was three or four, he was fourteen at least. The guy she got him from told the ladies he got him from that he still has him but cant lay a hand on him (Id had Cutie over a year when he said that). And those ladies said he had an accident that left him blind. Good thing I didnt know that when I started showing him in cross country jumping LOL.
So my experience with drafts is very limited. I'm not trying to slander them. I love Cutie to death. Hes gorgeous, solid black 17.2hh and a blast to ride, just not safe for falconry.

Wakinyeja
09-03-2008, 02:24 AM
I didn't mean you thought it was cruel, I do understand this is a falcon, not horse board, so added that.

WOW.. ya.. he has been though a bit in his life. I adore Percherons they are my favorite draft breed. Im sure you know the gray color did come from the Arab.. so the Perch. are the most *fun* of the draft horses.. I don't care.. I love them. I want one before I die, but as is, my knees are about gone from years riding 8-15hour days and I don't think they would handle the wide back, or the getting off. I can barely get off my 16hand Andalusian now. I do want to take him hunting with me though. He is an awesome horse. I used him in fox hunting back when I could. I have put me back together surgery and just getting into it again. I can ride for days as long as I don't have to get off the horse.. *grins*
Have you fox hunted with your horse? since he can obviously jump a coop.

chamokane
09-03-2008, 02:30 AM

You hit the nail on the head. It's the time thing. The hawks take it all.:D

chamokane
09-03-2008, 02:43 AM
Thats awesome.. I love that.. how cool! sad things is Im so inept when it comes to building anything.. the part where you said what you used.. Im like Charley Brown.. all I heard was "blah blah blah" I did hear garden cart though.. we have an old fashion black smith here.. maybe he could help me? Honestly I love being single when its dinner time and I don't have to cook.. but it stinks when I want something built *grins*
How does your dog like it? Looks like his is a husky fellow

It sounds like you need to marry that blacksmith and teach him how to cook.:D

The dog likes to pull the cart, but he's one of my falconry dogs and he keeps stopping to point birds. Also, he goes really fast on level ground, but when we come to a hill, he stops and sits down and looks at me until I get out and walk. I know he's faking though, because one day I ran beside the cart while he was pulling it up a long hill and when he wasn't looking, I sat on the side of the cart and he never slowed down until he looked back and saw me riding. Then, he stopped and sat down. What do they say? To train a dog, you have to be smarter than than the dog? The jury is still out.

Zarafia
09-03-2008, 02:44 AM
I know exactly what you mean about getting off. Before I got Cutie I only rode my 14.2hh arab gelding. When I get off Cutie I find myself using his thick double mane to lower myself down, thank God for all that hair.
Yes I did know about the arab blood in percherons, I think it adds to their pretty heads too. We had another, larger percheron gelding. We got his papers and through a couple websites I was actually able to trace his pedigree to an arab ancestor and believe it or not, Falcon was related to my old arab gelding, albiet two hundred years back.
Ive never foxhunted Cutie. The closest we did was that hunter pace where we fell. It was very scary and the girl who had her trailer here has moved away so its just trail riding these days. We used to have a small cross country course here with coops and roll tops and several other misc jumps. He jumped all but the three six rolltop, and that was just because I was too chicken to try it. He is good with water too, jump in, jump out.
I did a little low stadium jumping as well and the lady who ran the showground would joke that if he took one down they would need the cklean up crew rather than just putting the pole put back up. But he did good and we always got applause cause the carthorse could jump.
And he was always in the ribbons.
Yeah he's had a colorful life. Supposedly he won a state championship in NYS for Junior Driving. Then he pulled carriages for weddings and funerals. Then he had his "accident" and became too dangerous for the older ladies who ran the carriage company to handle, so they ave him to a man who eventually left him at a farm in leu of paying his boarding bill. Then that lady gave him to me. His name used to be Mighty Joe and supposedly was bred in NYS or Canada.
I knew an andalusion once and he waas one of the smartest horses I ever met, very personable too.

Wakinyeja
09-03-2008, 02:50 AM
Im lauging so hard about marring a blacksmith that can cook .. Oh my.. Im old fashion.. I can't stand a man in the kitchen it gives me the creeps.

Your dog sure has your number.. Im still laughing about that too.. how fun..

Wakinyeja
09-03-2008, 02:59 AM
Darn that horse has had a full life. I don't see Perch as a "cart horse" many are doing very well in Modern dressage. Thats shocks me a bit as I see their minds as a bit more classical. I think they are an over all versital horse with a good mind and a wonderful mover. You should try him with your bird.. there are ways to calm him.. if you like, I have a book I wrote.. or if you want to e-me I can help you get him so you can hunt with him.
We all go through things even animals and it takes time to calm down. When I was young if they tried to eleticute me I would have blown up the junction box. I had so much energy and attitude.. geez.. now.. no one would recognize me.. we are all like that, and that horse is too. Age has nothing to do with it if he hasn't been given the opportunity to calm down. There is a girl on our steer board that has a Shire that was like your horse too, her name is Heather.. you may want to try her also. www.ridingsteers.com.. and you want the Heather from OK.
If hunting with your horse is what you want, its worth the effort.

cbdfox
09-03-2008, 10:41 PM
jauson

this is turning into quit the thread!

very intersting.

I lived in Cedar Rapids for about 1.5 yrs. my wife is from IA.

i was temporarily involved in the falconry club there.

Bill Hammonds from Iowa City was my sponsor then.

Wakinyeja
09-03-2008, 11:24 PM
How cool, what a small world. Im in SW Iowa, do you know of any falconry clubs here?
I have just met with Aaron Chapman once, and hope to meet his sponsor once my mews is done, and I have studied and taken my test. I guess he has room for one more apprentice. Hoping he will take me?
I know in the Eastern part of the state they have a higher population so more clubs, more everything in all respects.. guess I should have turned east when I turned west ;)

cbdfox
09-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I was involved with the Iowa Falconers Association. I beleive they have a web site but it was down for a while while i lived there. I only attended one event it was the Joint Meet of the Iowa and Minnesota falconry associations.

seemed like i good bunch of guys i talked with a few of them. then a bunch of us apprentices got together and went hawking on the Iowa side.

I dont really remember anyone from the meet (names anyway). but my advice to you is to find a Sponsor you get along with and one who hopefully lives near you thats pretty important. you will want to spend a lot of time with them.

good luck.

Wakinyeja
09-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Finding a sponsor near me was the HUGE part. Then Aaron wrote me on this site and said he lived near me. He came out a few days later, looked at what I have built, and what I have left to do. He said his sponsor has room for one more and he will talk to him. The man is a bit farther away then Aaron is, but still close enough I would be willing to make a weekly drive.
I really feel that on a personal level, I need to have my mews done, my weathering yard done, and I need to take my test before I ask the Sponsor. I know thats not what most people do, however I feel that this person is offering a great deal of time for me, and I should already have shown that it won't be wasted on someone that will change their mind, or not put the time needed into it.
I also need to have something to offer the deal. I feel that just asking someone to do all this for me, and me not having anything to offer back is not responsible or respectful. Yes.. this is just me..
So.. Im going to meet Aaron's sponsor eventually and see if I can't help do something to be of help in exchange for his time. Maybe help clean the mews or what ever. Keep him in leather work? who knows, but being respectful and having all the other things done first is important to me.
So.. I need to finish my mews, and take my test.. thats my next goal.
Oh.. and hang around this site and bug the crap out of everyone.. *evil grins*

cbdfox
09-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Jauson
you may want to double check the regs. but i think you have to have your sponsor already signed on before you take your test.

I didnt take my test in IA i had alread started my apprenticeship here in OR. but its good to have your sponsor involved while your building your mews and weathering area so that they can impart in you the vast experience they possess. after all thats why we have sponsors to begin with right!

and you never know how he will want things done. i was fortunate to have a very open minded set of sponsors. who encouraged me to talke to other falconers and sort of find my own way with guidence. I struggled a bit with my first bird but excelled with my second. different personalities i guess.

but you should consider talking to your sponsor sooner than later. it may cost you more time and work in the end. just my opinion.

dont worry about if he will think your commited enough. he should be able to tell by talking to you. it sounds like you will do just fine from my end. it may be a matter of is he willing to take on another apprentice. and distance between you. but if he is the closest that should be a good motivator for both of you. as that is pretty important to me.

dont worry too much. i am sure you will do alright maybe even great! it seems you have a way with animals. and hawks really pick that up.

Wakinyeja
09-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Jauson
you may want to double check the regs. but i think you have to have your sponsor already signed on before you take your test.

I didnt take my test in IA i had alread started my apprenticeship here in OR. but its good to have your sponsor involved while your building your mews and weathering area so that they can impart in you the vast experience they possess. after all thats why we have sponsors to begin with right!

and you never know how he will want things done. i was fortunate to have a very open minded set of sponsors. who encouraged me to talke to other falconers and sort of find my own way with guidence. I struggled a bit with my first bird but excelled with my second. different personalities i guess.

but you should consider talking to your sponsor sooner than later. it may cost you more time and work in the end. just my opinion.

dont worry about if he will think your commited enough. he should be able to tell by talking to you. it sounds like you will do just fine from my end. it may be a matter of is he willing to take on another apprentice. and distance between you. but if he is the closest that should be a good motivator for both of you. as that is pretty important to me.

don't worry too much. i am sure you will do alright maybe even great! it seems you have a way with animals. and hawks really pick that up.

What you said makes allot of sense. After looking, and not finding anyone at all in my area Im greatfull for Aaron, who lives about 10 miles away, and is in his second year of apprenticeship. He has also offered to help with the mews, and is a great help as far as all those things, as you said, experiance ... From what I hear the Sponsor lives about an hour away, and is a retired policeman, so has allot of time, and is a nice man. Really if you aren't a good person, animals know it and you don't last long with them. I don't see getting along with him as being a problem, as he loves his birds from what I hear.
Aaron is coming out this weekend and He like you has said that Im putting to much pressure on myself to do more than I need to on my own.
I think this comes from the horse world where you really do have to muck your way to the top. Even after a college degree, I still spent years proving I wanted it. Im not used to all the help. Guess its time to get used to it. :D As I can already tell, I won't make it with out it.
thank you.

cbdfox
09-04-2008, 02:18 PM
there is a big difference in Falconry and the horse world. it seemed to me Horse riders or those i knew always had an underlying competition. there seemed to be some kind of rivalry or a desire to be special. maybe i was just unfortunate enough to know the wrong people. but I spent most of my time riding solitary. just enjoying myself and the world around me. Falconry is unlike this. first the hawks can do without us most certainly. we are forever trying to earn there acceptance. and instead of creating friction or competition to be "special" our common interest seems to unite us. perhaps its because there is so much opposition. or perhaps its becuase Falconry birds themselves can take or leave the falconer.

yes hawks do seem to pick up those hidden agenda's people carry with them. some raptors even can tell the difference between an adult and a child like a horse or dog.
but thats not exactly what i was referring to.

when dealing with animals some people have a natural ability to bonding or working with animals. with Falconry this can be an imense advantage. the hawks really just plain work better with those who have the "Nack" or "gift". it would seem those people seem to make falconry look easy. there is a difference in my experience between those who are gifted and those who merely have experience. one is learned the other ?
sort of like two people who grew up with horses. one talks gently scratches his horses ear. knows how to check the hooves for rocks etc. without getting kicked. walks around the horse with his hand on it so as not to suprise it. he befreinds the horse first maybe even has an apple in his pocket. this horse wants to be with him.
the other walks up to the strange horse and treats it like a possesion. he knows how to ride and this is just another horse. he mounts on the right side and uses his knee's the right way doesnt abuse the animal. but it doesnt really do what he wants. and he never seems to find the horse that is special. that's the best way i can relate Falconry to horses.

but that is neither here nor there. it doesnt really have anything to do with you right now. I just thought your current experience with animals and success would suggest you were one who posessed the "nack". but dont take that to mean you will pick up a wild bird and have it trained and hunting in short order. its a long road and the Nack doesnt just jump out and teach you how to befriend a Redtailed Hawk.

Sorry to be so opinionated and long winded. maybe i got a little carried away.

Wakinyeja
09-04-2008, 04:06 PM
there is a big difference in Falconry and the horse world. it seemed to me Horse riders or those i knew always had an underlying competition. there seemed to be some kind of rivalry or a desire to be special. maybe i was just unfortunate enough to know the wrong people. but I spent most of my time riding solitary. just enjoying myself and the world around me. Falconry is unlike this. first the hawks can do without us most certainly. we are forever trying to earn there acceptance. and instead of creating friction or competition to be "special" our common interest seems to unite us. perhaps its because there is so much opposition. or perhaps its becuase Falconry birds themselves can take or leave the falconer.

yes hawks do seem to pick up those hidden agenda's people carry with them. some raptors even can tell the difference between an adult and a child like a horse or dog.
but thats not exactly what i was referring to.

when dealing with animals some people have a natural ability to bonding or working with animals. with Falconry this can be an imense advantage. the hawks really just plain work better with those who have the "Nack" or "gift". it would seem those people seem to make falconry look easy. there is a difference in my experience between those who are gifted and those who merely have experience. one is learned the other ?
sort of like two people who grew up with horses. one talks gently scratches his horses ear. knows how to check the hooves for rocks etc. without getting kicked. walks around the horse with his hand on it so as not to suprise it. he befreinds the horse first maybe even has an apple in his pocket. this horse wants to be with him.
the other walks up to the strange horse and treats it like a possesion. he knows how to ride and this is just another horse. he mounts on the right side and uses his knee's the right way doesnt abuse the animal. but it doesnt really do what he wants. and he never seems to find the horse that is special. that's the best way i can relate Falconry to horses.

but that is neither here nor there. it doesnt really have anything to do with you right now. I just thought your current experience with animals and success would suggest you were one who posessed the "nack". but dont take that to mean you will pick up a wild bird and have it trained and hunting in short order. its a long road and the Nack doesnt just jump out and teach you how to befriend a Redtailed Hawk.

Sorry to be so opinionated and long winded. maybe i got a little carried away.

aww long winded is good some times ... I gott'cha now. I do think I will get along with the birds well. yes. I have wild ones here. I don't HAVE them.. as they are wild, but they share my life. I have one owl that if Im in the living room, is in the tree out side that window, if Im in my bedroom, its in the tree outside that window. Hes a turd.. so I end up going out side and talking to him/it In 10yrs I have never seen it, but it will talk back.. or respond or what ever it is owls do. I had a RT for 8yrs that would come very close to me and has eatt'en next to me, just not out of my hand. So, yes.. I think we will get along. I just need to learn how to do things right, and get along on the human side of things. Im one of those people that can do about anything with animals, but has a harder time communicating with people.. Im sure you know the type.. yup.. thats me..

cbdfox
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Jauson

i think you will do just fine. and I am looking forward to hearing about your journey.

the RT you mentioned reminds me of a Falconer i talked to once who used to hunt with a wild Coopers hawk. the bird was just watching him one day while he was out with his falcon. so he threw out a pigeon for it. and you can imagine where things went from there. he eventually got the Coops to stick with him long enough that he could flush game for it and actually make a kill. he said sometimes it would clip him with its wing tips as it flew by him after game.

pretty cool especially when you consider how skiddish coopers hawks are.

Wakinyeja
09-05-2008, 02:57 AM
Jauson

i think you will do just fine. and I am looking forward to hearing about your journey.

the RT you mentioned reminds me of a Falconer i talked to once who used to hunt with a wild Coopers hawk. the bird was just watching him one day while he was out with his falcon. so he threw out a pigeon for it. and you can imagine where things went from there. he eventually got the Coops to stick with him long enough that he could flush game for it and actually make a kill. he said sometimes it would clip him with its wing tips as it flew by him after game.

pretty cool especially when you consider how skiddish coopers hawks are.

I don't know anything about cooper hawks, but ya.. thats really awesome. Did he ever actually keep the bird in a mews? or were they just buddies? What happened to it.. geez finish the story. *grins*

...and a girl
09-05-2008, 11:21 AM
when i talked with the Falconer (dont even remember his name) he was practicing in Corvallis OR and i was looking for a sponsor. he has since moved away i beleive or gone inactive.

but basically he told me he would go out to his hawking field. where the Coops would see him and come in to follow him along. he said that it got to be a regular occurance that he saw the wild hawk.
obviously it took some time to progress from throwing out a pigeon to a coops in a tree to actually haveing it tag along waiting for a flush.
but the two would partner up long enough for the coops to get a almost free meal. and then it was off to go eat in solitud. i beleive they hunted for a good part of the hawking season and then the coops went on to migrate paired up or whatever. but it was no longer there. I imagine its similer to a coops that hangs around a pigeon coop and then disperses for whatever reason.

just an unusual story. you will find that having a raptor around you in the field acts like a magnet to wild raptors. I often see coopers RT's eagle's owls and the sort while out hunting. either becuase i bump them or they are coming in to check out my hawks. some are interesting others will fill you with fear.

cbdfox
09-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Sorry Jauson

hope that didnt confuse you. my wife is also a member on this forum. and i often forget to check and see how i am logged in.

that should have been my post.

Wakinyeja
09-05-2008, 11:39 AM
when i talked with the Falconer (dont even remember his name) he was practicing in Corvallis OR and i was looking for a sponsor. he has since moved away i beleive or gone inactive.

but basically he told me he would go out to his hawking field. where the Coops would see him and come in to follow him along. he said that it got to be a regular occurance that he saw the wild hawk.
obviously it took some time to progress from throwing out a pigeon to a coops in a tree to actually haveing it tag along waiting for a flush.
but the two would partner up long enough for the coops to get a almost free meal. and then it was off to go eat in solitud. i beleive they hunted for a good part of the hawking season and then the coops went on to migrate paired up or whatever. but it was no longer there. I imagine its similer to a coops that hangs around a pigeon coop and then disperses for whatever reason.

just an unusual story. you will find that having a raptor around you in the field acts like a magnet to wild raptors. I often see coopers RT's eagle's owls and the sort while out hunting. either becuase i bump them or they are coming in to check out my hawks. some are interesting others will fill you with fear.

Thats a really neat story. I think one things that draws me to the raptors is that anyone can buy a pet.. but to build a relationship with an animal that neither wants nor needs you is something else. He certainly did that. I have found that most of the wild animals I have had, and trained could care less about me. It was me that wanted or needed them on some level. I had to make that work for both of us. They have been awesome teachers. Im sure that man learned allot about hawking from that bird he will take with him for ever.

I do have a question about when other raptors show up. I hear allot about that, but not allot about what happens next. Do you call your bird in? What happens if they get in a fight? I know they can get bad. I was sitting talking with a friend one day when I saw something out the window drop from the sky. I screamed "Man Down" and ran out the door with a towel. The bird ended up ok, but was really stunned for quite some time. I would guess a drop from the sky on your head would do that. It was re-released later that day. However I don't want to see my RT plummeting from the heavens. So what is the normal game plan when that happens?

cbdfox
09-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Jauson
I would say that the relationship with the coops was partly due to his knowing how to interact with the hawk to start with. getting that from experience with his own birds. i would say that the experience itself of flying hunting a wild hawk is one he wont forget for sure I agree! he was excited about it when i talked with him probably still is.

as for reaction to other raptors? well i guess that depends. see i have found that most of the time the other raptors like Coopers to my RT or gos are just checking us out. they see a strange raptor the dont recognise and want to know what its doing. now say your out hawking and a eagle comes into view. you want to get your bird back pronto. your hawks safety is priority #1 and no chances should be taken. even a RT can kill our hawks. a freind of mine lost his imprint tiercel gos to a RT last year. how did it happen? dont know? the hawk got away from him out of his protective area and didnt take the RT as a threat. it caught game and got killed before he could get close.

sometimes i have RT's just hangout and watch while were hawking. they keep back or just land nearby like they are trying to figure out a puzzle. other times they will drive your hawk out of there territory. sometimes its the falconry bird that is the agressor and will drive other raptors even eagles! out of your hawking ground. this is dangerous of course and you could lose your hawk but at that point there isnt a lot you can do except try to help. if say for instance two RT's get into a dispute its often just crabbing.(interlocking feet) and you may even be able to walk up and seperate them (if the wild one doesnt flee).

as a general rule if you see a larger raptor than your own nearby call your hawk down and or drive away the other bird. the smaller species are usually curious and knowing they are safe will just watch for a minute then bolt.

now Great Horned owls are a different story. the feed on the same prey as a RT. but they are pretty dangerous. physically they are stronger can and do kill RTs. but the dangerous thing about them is they are not completely nocturnal like other owls. they hunt at twilight or just before and after dark. often times i have had my hawks out hunting after sunset (cause the going is good) and then heard the chilling Who hoo. wich is my sign to pack it up. i have run into GH owls out hawking in E. OR and even had my gos unwittingly land in there tree's just a few feet away. but they have yet to attack her. why? dont know. because i have heard of stories of them trying to take raptors off the fist before! the GH owls are not as skiddish of people as the diurnal raptors are. i have aproached them very close in day time.

thats the best advice i can give you. dont want to make you nervous but be wary. use common sense. its the big fish little fish thing.

Wakinyeja
09-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Actually it does make me a bit nervous. I have a GH owl. The oaks that surround my house are one of his favorite hang outs. Yes, my hawk would be protected at night, however the weathering yard is in the orchard, and .. near those oaks. Ridding myself of the owl, before bringing home a Rt maybe in order. I will ask Aaron about trapping him? maybe his sponsor would want him? I can't shoot him. I have chickens under those trees as well and used to try and get a good shot at him.. never happened.. 17yrs later.. I still have an owl, and have never lost a chicken to him. but.. ya.. I think the owl has to go.
thanks.

chamokane
09-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Actually it does make me a bit nervous. I have a GH owl. The oaks that surround my house are one of his favorite hang outs. Yes, my hawk would be protected at night, however the weathering yard is in the orchard, and .. near those oaks. Ridding myself of the owl, before bringing home a Rt maybe in order. I will ask Aaron about trapping him? maybe his sponsor would want him? I can't shoot him. I have chickens under those trees as well and used to try and get a good shot at him.. never happened.. 17yrs later.. I still have an owl, and have never lost a chicken to him. but.. ya.. I think the owl has to go.
thanks.

Jauson,

The sides and top of any weathering area should always be covered with some sturdy fencing material to keep out flying and climbing predators such as hawks, owls, raccoons, cats, mink, etc. Also thought should be given to the possibility of something digging in. Any facility that you leave your hawk in should be constructed with the assumption that different types of predators, both domestic and wild, will be present and it should be completely predator proof.

You can't eliminate all the critters that reside in your neighborhood or are passing through, and a lot of them are protected by law anyway. You don't want to get caught shooting an owl or illegally trapping and relocating managed species.

A falconry permit is something that you want to protect by scrupulously following all the laws and regulations, and your hawk is something you want to guard like a treasure.

I hope you will forgive the sermon and accept it in the spirit in which it is offered.

Wakinyeja
09-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Jauson,

The sides and top of any weathering area should always be covered with some sturdy fencing material to keep out flying and climbing predators such as hawks, owls, raccoons, cats, mink, etc. Also thought should be given to the possibility of something digging in. Any facility that you leave your hawk in should be constructed with the assumption that different types of predators, both domestic and wild, will be present and it should be completely predator proof.

You can't eliminate all the critters that reside in your neighborhood or are passing through, and a lot of them are protected by law anyway. You don't want to get caught shooting an owl or illegally trapping and relocating managed species.

A falconry permit is something that you want to protect by scrupulously following all the laws and regulations, and your hawk is something you want to guard like a treasure.

I hope you will forgive the sermon and accept it in the spirit in which it is offered.

My mews is very secure, so is the connected outside weathering area, however there is a weathering are that is a more open one. It does have shelter, and a perch, however is not fully enclosed and I have been told it will pass inspection. However with this new knowledge of owls.. and knowing I have one.. I need to rethink this even though it will pass.

cbdfox
09-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Jauson
for starters i agree with what Dave just said completely. but consider that if you even managed to drive off the GH owl. the odds are that a new owl will just take his place in a year or so.

better to take the peaceful one you have now. as for your RT. as soon as it gets dusk your hawk will start feeling the need for shelter and security. its instinct is to hide at night for good reason (owls for one) so leaving it in the weathering area would be a cruel thing even if it was completely safe. the proper place is in your mew where your hawk will feel secure. it will eventually look at the mews as home and yearn to go there at night. like a horse.

dont get the impression that GH owls will attack any RT they say in broad daylight. its certainly possible that it could happen. but odds are you will fine with a little common sense. I am sure your owl is finding all kinds of other stuff thats easier to catch. in the wild RTs and GH's both occupy the same habitat. just remember they are enemy's and GH owls are bold.

Wakinyeja
09-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Jauson
for starters i agree with what Dave just said completely. but consider that if you even managed to drive off the GH owl. the odds are that a new owl will just take his place in a year or so.

better to take the peaceful one you have now. as for your RT. as soon as it gets dusk your hawk will start feeling the need for shelter and security. its instinct is to hide at night for good reason (owls for one) so leaving it in the weathering area would be a cruel thing even if it was completely safe. the proper place is in your mew where your hawk will feel secure. it will eventually look at the mews as home and yearn to go there at night. like a horse.

dont get the impression that GH owls will attack any RT they say in broad daylight. its certainly possible that it could happen. but odds are you will fine with a little common sense. I am sure your owl is finding all kinds of other stuff thats easier to catch. in the wild RTs and GH's both occupy the same habitat. just remember they are enemy's and GH owls are bold.

OH Dear no! I would never leave anything around here out at night.. I live in a forest.. That is just nutts.. I wouldn't do that.. The weathering area in the orchard, ( which can be seen also from my office window) is also in an area of the yard (really big yard) that I sit, play with my giant rabbits, garden etc.. It can very easily have a few hours a day of sunlight ( sun is important) with full supervision. The enclosed weathering area is in the shade ( I live in an oak grove, very few areas have sun) The mews, is fully shaded and protected by the trees as well..
My concern is for sunlight. There for, the orchard is the only spot for this. I had no idea you thought I would leave anything out at night.
I agree.. that is not safe or responsible.