PDA

View Full Version : Do you take your imprint to work?

Ted Bell
06-18-2008, 05:59 PM
So, what do all of you imprinters do during the workday? Do you take your eyas to work with you, or leave him/her at home? If you take them to work, what do you keep them in there? Do you have a mini-imprint tank that you use for work?

Thanks,
Ted

wesleyc6
06-18-2008, 06:16 PM
AT home mine has been running free most of the time. We have a "spot" shampooer and that has been nice. Now he is tethered most of the time as of yesterday. My wife and kids are home for the summer and she says they sit right by him and watch TV a lot, so that is great for him. I rode him about an hour today and went to a church camp. I take him to the office sometimes and he comes in his imprint tank which is a simple 6 dollar clear bin from walmart. It is a little small now, but his days of that aren't far from over and I don't keep him here for a super long time. It is more crazy at home than here, so I just do it for him getting some car time basically.

tacatanach
06-18-2008, 07:37 PM
I took mine to work with me either in an imprint tank or once he was older on a block- he still comes to work with me off and on. He's become the mascot for the floor my lab is on. Even the janitors ask how hes doing and get worried if I don't bring him in for a while.

Picture of him at 19 days old with a friend of mine playing with him, although normally he was in a much larger box on top of my file cabinet so he could also look out the window.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/tacatanach/IMGP0111.jpg

frootdog
06-18-2008, 11:56 PM
I took my coop to work every day. I would not have done it any other way.

chris kimble
06-19-2008, 01:03 AM
My bird stays home unforunately. I work in a clean room so he cant come along. Depending on the shift Im working, he usually has someone at the house with him. He hasnt ever spent more than six hours alone though, except at night. Since he is in the living room I leave the TV going, and he really does watch it sometimes. And I've started leaving the dogs in kennels next to his imprint tank when its convenient. He gravitates toward the dogs as soon as he sees them, and watches them intently! Im jealous of you guys that get to take your birds to work.

laj
06-19-2008, 11:26 AM
I took mine to work the first couple of days. Once I got the imprint tank built and the kids are out of school, I leave him at home with the wife and kids now. I am fortunate to live 3 minutes from my business, so go home checking on him in between work is not an issue. My routine goes like this. I'll start the day at 7 by taking him outside to get some sun, put his food in the bowl, puts him back in the bowl and bring him back into his tank and he'll eat. I go back to bed and get up at 9:30 and prepare his next meal. I'll top his plate with more quail before leaving for work. By noon I'll call home and ask my wife to check on him and top his food if necessary. I'll go home for a couple of hours between 2-3pm and play/feed/clean him and sometimes repeat that around 6-7pm if I am able to get away form work or my wife will replenish his food for me. I don't get home till 10:30 every night and I'll let him out of his tank for about half an hour playing with him. It is quite a chore but I am loving it!

frootdog
06-19-2008, 11:39 AM
I understand not everyone can take thier bird to thier work, but I keep reading "there are people at the house all day". I think y'all are missing the point. It's about exposure to numerous different stimuli. The ride there and back might actually be the more important part. Regardless, it's about different buildings, surroundings, people, things, events. Not just having someone or something happen everyday. If it is the same set of stimuli it does no good.

wesleyc6
06-19-2008, 11:46 AM
I agree to some point there. That is why I take mine places too. Taking a bird to "work" isn't a magical formula. There are all kinds of stimuli and I suspect my kids can pet a hawk more than any one man on the planet. LOL. My bird gets outside stimuli for lure calls, walks and baggies. Now his baggies are near traffic. My ride to work is about 45 seconds and I am the only person in my office too(not very stimulating). A ride to work in Dallas would be much more stimulating than mine. Just because one doesn't take their bird to work, doesn't mean it isn't going other places.

frootdog
06-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I agree to some point there. That is why I take mine places too. Taking a bird to "work" isn't a magical formula. There are all kinds of stimuli and I suspect my kids can pet a hawk more than any one man on the planet. LOL. My bird gets outside stimuli for lure calls, walks and baggies. Now his baggies are near traffic. My ride to work is about 45 seconds and I am the only person in my office too(not very stimulating). A ride to work in Dallas would be much more stimulating than mine. Just because one doesn't take their bird to work, doesn't mean it isn't going other places.

I agree, but it is one more built in round trip a day that you HAVE to make regardless. You are right though the round trip here is probably much more stimulating. I worked at 2 different vet clinics at the time and the experience of going to work was FAR better than the bird staying home with other people.

wesleyc6
06-19-2008, 12:05 PM
I agree, but it is one more built in round trip a day that you HAVE to make regardless. You are right though the round trip here is probably much more stimulating. I worked at 2 different vet clinics at the time and the experience of going to work was FAR better than the bird staying home with other people.

Yep, that is a great work enviroment for that!!!! Here my bird just hears southern gospel and me typing on the computer or turning pages:D

I have oftened wondered how McD took his birds so many places. I mean if you leave them in a car here, it is smokin' hot in no time. I would think most places wouldn't want them inside.

tacatanach
06-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Yep, that is a great work enviroment for that!!!! Here my bird just hears southern gospel and me typing on the computer or turning pages:D

I have oftened wondered how McD took his birds so many places. I mean if you leave them in a car here, it is smokin' hot in no time. I would think most places wouldn't want them inside.

You would be suprised. I took mine into all kinds of places- hardware stores, liquor stores, the movies, the bank, even a Whataburger, to name a few. The only place I was told I couldn't bring him in was Walmart.

Ted Bell
06-19-2008, 06:50 PM
I've eaten at a Whataburger - once. I think they served me your eyas.

-Ted

frootdog
06-19-2008, 08:03 PM
I've eaten at a Whataburger - once. I think they served me your eyas.

-Ted

????

Ted Bell
06-20-2008, 07:45 AM
????

I found Whataburger burgers to be the size of Hardees but the quality of McDonalds. Not so yummy.

-Ted

kurt
06-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Now that I'm retired from the fire dept I have a part time gig on a patrol boat. It works out fine as they sit in their nest box and watch the world go by as we patrol. Most of the boaters have made a point of pulling along side and taking pictures etc and the bosses don't seem to mind. Once we split them up I'll mount a bow perch on the rear deck and continue bringing my bird with me until the seasons over. Kurt