PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Falconry Regs Question

jal4470
01-29-2021, 10:19 AM
I am a MA falconer. I a few years ago I was looking into hunting pigeons at a dairy in Vermont and it LOOKED to me that all I needed was my MA falconry licence and a out of state small game licence. Can any knowlageable VT falconer confirm or deny this for me. Or point me toward who I can ask at the state level? The regs were not super clear as I remember. Thanks in advance

joekoz
01-29-2021, 08:29 PM
I live in New Jersey and have been both gun hunting, as well as hunting with my hawks at my daughter and son-in-laws large dairy farm in Richmond, Vermont for many years. It is my understanding that all you need is your state falconry license, and a Vermont non-resident small game license.

Just a note of caution: My experience at the farm is that it is not only a magnet for pigeons, starlings and sparrows, but also Coopers Hawks. On several occasions I brought up a Merlin, and had issues not only with Coopers Hawks, but also a local Goshawk. Not so much a problem hunting with a Harris's Hawk. Also, If you are hunting in a barn where there are cows, you run the risk of your bird getting stepped on if it brings the pigeon to the ground. Cows are very inquisitive.

jal4470
01-29-2021, 09:16 PM
Thank you for the answer. That was my understanding as well, but that seemed too easy.

joekoz
01-30-2021, 08:33 AM
Jacob:

In addition to New Jersey and Vermont I've hawked in 6 other states all with the same requirements.

rkumetz
01-30-2021, 10:21 AM
Yes, you are correct. A non-resident small game license and your permit are all you need.

I used to put my perlin up and then flush the pigeons out of barns. Lots of fun.

defalconer1
01-30-2021, 10:11 PM
Since the VT code (NO. 172 section 4902) specifically excludes pigeons as a protected game bird, it's safe to assume a small game license is not required to hunt them.......paul

rkumetz
01-30-2021, 10:33 PM
Since the VT code (NO. 172 section 4902) specifically excludes pigeons as a protected game bird, it's safe to assume a small game license is not required to hunt them.......paul

To practice falconry you need a hunting license.
There is also a grey area as to whether or not let it lay would apply without a hunting license.

Plus do you really want to travel back to VT to appear in court to contest a summons issued by a warden who disagrees?