PDA

View Full Version : Marshall GPS Issues

ikcus
10-11-2022, 12:33 PM
Yesterday, I started having serious issues with my Marshall GPS solution. I heard from other falconers that Marshall did an update which is causing the problem. Marshall is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. Since they do there support forum via Facebook, I have no access to there progress on a fix. I am not signing up for Facebook to follow along. If someone with Facebook could update this thread, I would appreciate it.
I will say, I tried the Android app on my phone S22 and the GPS system works 75% of the time. On iOS/iPad mini Gen5, it works 25% or less of the time. If you shut Aerovision off, the pocketlink starts to work again. It is only when the App is running the pocketlink freezes up.
Marshall, if the fix is going to take more than a day or two, please roll the changes back and at least get your users back up and running with the previous versions that worked. As a software developer, this is industry standard.

ikcus
10-11-2022, 12:53 PM
Marshall just released a fix for iOS. Go to the AppStore, search for Aerovision and select Update. Back in business. Thank you Marshall.

Saluqi
10-11-2022, 02:53 PM
From the Marshall Facebook Group:

Update Announcement:
The Summary
Customers around the world were reporting an inability to make Mode changes and other odd behaviors. A Third Party bug affecting the Bluetooth connection was identified and resolved overnight. Many of you have already found that everything is back to normal now. You will notice a slightly longer GPS acquisition time at start up, but that will also be back to normal with the next AeroVision update from the App or Play Stores.

The Details:
During startup, the GPS transmitter goes through a search process to determine which of the satellites currently overhead are in view and which new individual frequencies to lock on to. Once you have at least three satellites identified and locked, you see the blue light, hear the audible ?ping? confirming the transmitter knows its position, and additional satellites are added. Normal lock time is anywhere from 60 to 90 sec, but since this step often happens when users are anxious to get their bird on the wing, seconds seem like minutes, minutes like hours.

So we added a feature to speed up the process by accessing an external library of current satellite positional data for your part of the world at your exact time. When connected to the Internet through AeroVision (and with most people using their phones, this happens automatically at startup), GPS acquisition time is drastically reduced. Saving battery life and lowering the anxiety of ?waiting for blue.? With this Startup Boost, GPS lock time is reduced to 20-45 seconds.

We identified a bug in a third-party service that, when accessed by AeroVision at startup, contained extraneous data which adversely affected the capacity of the Bluetooth connection between the Phone and PocketLink. Everything started up in the default Mode (ECO) but further commands sent to the PocketLink were ignored.

We disabled Startup Boost for now. This means that for the present time, you will notice real-world GPS lock times of up to 2 minutes with a clear view of the sky. However this helpful feature will be reintroduced again soon, after careful and thorough testing, in the next update of AeroVision.
As a reminder, there are things you can do to ensure the faster lock times. During this acquisition process, your transmitter needs to be powered up outside the house or car, with a clear view of the sky, and the transmitter is located away from metal, etc

What to do next:
No other changes to your normal routine or to your system need to be done. The App Team will push out an update to AeroVision in the coming weeks when the start-up boost is again ready to use.

ikcus
10-11-2022, 03:43 PM
Thanks Paul!

jdrmd
10-11-2022, 06:23 PM
Thanks Paul....I don't use Facebook.

JRedig
10-11-2022, 10:18 PM
Pretty impressive turn-around.