PDA

View Full Version : Hello

kimmerar
03-11-2007, 12:54 PM
My name is Kim Mauldin and I am a first year apprentice. I am flying a female American Kestrel. It has been very rewarding and I love flying kestrels. We've had a good year (took 5 yesterday). I live in Hot Springs Arkansas and I am currently the only one flying an american kestrel in the state as far as I know (there is only 45 of us).

My husband is in his 2nd year and should be general soon. He flies a red tailed hawk.

That's it for now. Can't wait to check out the site.

outhawkn
03-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Welcome Kim, hope you have fun.
Bill

wesleyc6
03-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Glad to have you here! Hope you share some about your kestrels. I have flown a few too and have enjoyed them. Can be lots of work, but still fun when you have a lot a game!!!!

everetkhorton
03-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Welcome Kim: [smilie=banana.gif]
Sounds like you are getting into the swing of flying Kestrel, that is no easy task. We are reminding everyone to sign there post, there is a place in your profile if you are up on those things. A nice picture of yourself along with your kestrel would look good. This group is low key and has alot of information connected in it. Writing, grammer and spell are not my strong points, my typeing is not the best eather. [smilie=dontknow.gif]

kimmerar
03-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. I love the site. Lots of info. I have told some other falconers I know about it.

I just love flying this bird. She is so eager. I plan on keeping her until I become general and then I want to train more kestrels. I believe this bird I trapped had never had a bird before. I gave her one and it took her 20 minutes of plucking before she broke in. Took me a while to get the nerve to let her be a kestrel (scared I was going to kill her) and she was unfit for awhile but I have her very fit now. Barely feel the keel. Her flight weight started at 94 and now she's at 96 to 97. I'm learning and my husband says I'm obsessed. Her first kill was a sparrow and she flew all over the neighborhood trying to get away from me and eventually ended up in a holly bush. I pulled her out and broke her first 3 primaries. Dumb move (there is another post that someone talked about patence and that is something I really need to work on). I only car hawk her now (sponsers recommendations due to lots of coops around). I can't wait to try her in the field again. She has no fear of grackles - she took 160gr female. (they are legal here under nuisance birds).

I want to also say that I have a GREAT sponser. He always answers the phone and he knows alot about kestrels and other small birds. I think that has helped alot with my success with my first bird. I can't wait to train another.

It took us 2 months before we (mostly I) figured it out but we now have 24. I didn't log them in until #13 because I thought it would jinx me. And it was the only time my sponser got a little stern. [smilie=BangHead.gif] My husband kept track. We seem to have more quarry around now then 2 months ago.

I eventually want to try a sharpie. I have been told I need to practice imping if I'm going to fly a sharpie (mike mcdermont) so I'm looking for all the info I can on that.

I don't have a pic of me and my bird - but I'll work on that. I have a pic of her and I made a signature so I don't have to remember to sign my post.

Again - great site and I'm still exploring.

Kim Mauldin
"Believe"
Marian & Bob Bailey

wesleyc6
03-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Great job! You will find that carhawking in the spring is AWESOME. You will see a difference in the slips because the birds won't be flocking as much(starlings) and will be busy making love melodies. [smilie=icon_hang.gif] I am a carhawker too sometimes and I like it a lot.

`Chris L.
03-14-2007, 01:57 AM
Kim, Welcome to the site and thank you for the compliments on it. It is the members that make it great.

. I must say you are doing great with your first kestrel. I know many falconers who have not gotten as far as you have. Great job [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

keep up the good work.. I look forward to your posts on your K-birds progress...

outhawkn
03-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. I love the site. Lots of info. I have told some other falconers I know about it.

I just love flying this bird. She is so eager. I plan on keeping her until I become general and then I want to train more kestrels. I believe this bird I trapped had never had a bird before. I gave her one and it took her 20 minutes of plucking before she broke in. Took me a while to get the nerve to let her be a kestrel (scared I was going to kill her) and she was unfit for awhile but I have her very fit now. Barely feel the keel. Her flight weight started at 94 and now she's at 96 to 97. I'm learning and my husband says I'm obsessed. Her first kill was a sparrow and she flew all over the neighborhood trying to get away from me and eventually ended up in a holly bush. I pulled her out and broke her first 3 primaries. Dumb move (there is another post that someone talked about patence and that is something I really need to work on). I only car hawk her now (sponsers recommendations due to lots of coops around). I can't wait to try her in the field again. She has no fear of grackles - she took 160gr female. (they are legal here under nuisance birds).

I want to also say that I have a GREAT sponser. He always answers the phone and he knows alot about kestrels and other small birds. I think that has helped alot with my success with my first bird. I can't wait to train another.

It took us 2 months before we (mostly I) figured it out but we now have 24. I didn't log them in until #13 because I thought it would jinx me. And it was the only time my sponser got a little stern. [smilie=BangHead.gif] My husband kept track. We seem to have more quarry around now then 2 months ago.

I eventually want to try a sharpie. I have been told I need to practice imping if I'm going to fly a sharpie (mike mcdermont) so I'm looking for all the info I can on that.

I don't have a pic of me and my bird - but I'll work on that. I have a pic of her and I made a signature so I don't have to remember to sign my post.

Again - great site and I'm still exploring.

Kim Mauldin
"Believe"
Marian & Bob Bailey

Kim,

Sounds like you and your Kes are having fun. Thats great! You said something in your post that I would like for you to consider though. And its only a thought for you to think about. I'm not trying to tell you what to do!

You said you intend to keep your Kestrel until you become a General Falconer. I used to allow my apprentices to keep their first bird. But then I read somewhere that maybe sponsors should reguire their apprentices to release their birds each year. The reason behind that is it allows the apprentice to go the full spectrum of Falconry. Capture,training,release, and then start again. I think as a sponsor I owe it not only to my apprentice but to Falconry as well. One bird I dont believe is enough, to obtain a General or Master class. I know a lot of folks have done it and I'm sure that was the right decision for them?

The whole idea of apprenticeship is to learn under the "experianced" eye of a mentor. I insist my apprentices learn to cope a bird,trim its talons,make and use a hood, imp, etc. I think its good for the apprentice and GOOD for Falconry. Then release that bird and try again. I dont know what other sponsors think but just give it some thought. OK?

Bill

kimmerar
03-14-2007, 06:37 PM
OK Bill. Thanks for your advice. Sounds like your a great sponser. Until a month ago I was turning her loose and getting another one.

I love the training. I was raised around animal trainers (my job as a kid (I'm 37 now) was raising baby wildlife and keeping them tame so clicker trainers could take over with them and most were used in animal shows) and I love to see progress. And I keep hearing from other people "just wait until next year". She is already making longer slips and is very confident. I was going to work on some ideas I had during the molt. One is trying a different way of exercising her. Something else besides the lure. Don't get me wrong - I will always use a lure but I had an idea I wanted to try.

Hmmmm......you got me thinking again. I guess if I just lucked out and got a good bird this year then that would let me know I'm not ment for falconry (I really like small birds).

I need info on imping. Haven't found any previous post. I thought about practicing on my pharoh quail.

My signature doesn't seem to be working. Can someone PM me to help me with that?

Again, thanks for the advice Bill and I will consider it. Anyone else?

Kim

`Chris L.
03-14-2007, 06:46 PM
My signature doesn't seem to be working. Can someone PM me to help me with that?

Kim

fixed it for you [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

kimmerar
03-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks Chris. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

Jimmy
03-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Anyone else?

Keep your bird if that's what you want. I really don't see the big difference between 1 and 2 birds during an apprenticeship. If you were successfull with the first, you'll likely be successfull with the next one. The fact that you have had success with a kestrel as a first year apprentice speaks volumes in itself. That's something that many people with much more time under their belt, haven't done. As far as imping goes, it's much better to never have the problem in the first place. Same with having to cope. But both are things that need to be taught well, by someone that knows what they are doing. It's amazing just how many falconers can't imp or cope worth a damn. Few seem to be really good at it, and surprisingly, the ones that are really good at it, never seem to have the problems in the first place. The guys that do a lot of it, seem to suck at it. Go figure.

everetkhorton
03-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Kim: I have find if you keep up with coping it is much easier to do. I use a emery board, the kind you use on accrilic nails, they are great. They come in all different grits. I start out with black and end up with pink. Keep the upper mandable tapered and to a point, look at some pictures of wild birds, it helps. The upper mandable is alway pointed.

`Chris L.
03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Kim: I have find if you keep up with coping it is much easier to do. I use a emery board, the kind you use on accrilic nails, they are great.

Dont let Davey see this he may add those to his pink zip tie collection [smilie=icon_toilet.gif]

had to do it davey

Jimmy
03-14-2007, 09:43 PM
he-he-he [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

outhawkn
03-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Anyone else?

Keep your bird if that's what you want. I really don't see the big difference between 1 and 2 birds during an apprenticeship. If you were successfull with the first, you'll likely be successfull with the next one. The fact that you have had success with a kestrel as a first year apprentice speaks volumes in itself. That's something that many people with much more time under their belt, haven't done. As far as imping goes, it's much better to never have the problem in the first place. Same with having to cope. But both are things that need to be taught well, by someone that knows what they are doing. It's amazing just how many falconers can't imp or cope worth a damn. Few seem to be really good at it, and surprisingly, the ones that are really good at it, never seem to have the problems in the first place. The guys that do a lot of it, seem to suck at it. Go figure.

Thats my point! If an apprentice doesnt take advantage of their sponsors experience( coping,imping,etc) they eventually get a master class permit and dont know how to do those things. Wouldnt it be better to use your sponsor as a teacher and show you all they can? I personally have never seen a falconer that hunted routinely that didnt break a feather once in awhile. Just my opinion.

chris kimble
03-17-2007, 06:20 AM
I personally have never seen a falconer that hunted routinely that didnt break a feather once in awhile. Just my opinion.

Kim, broken feathers happen everywhere....in the field, in the mews etc. But in time I think you will find that most of the poorly feathered birds you encounter got that way because of poor husbandry and not from hawking. Continued hawking with the broken feathers might further the amount of damage.....but usually its something else that gets the ball rolling.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on all your success with your kestrel!

kimmerar
03-17-2007, 10:37 AM
I took her to a master in the state to help me jess her up and look at her (he was close by) and I learned about fret marks. He look at her and said "you'll be imping feathers". Again she already had one broken primary when I trapped her. Another reason he thought she was a juvy. To me it was a sign I needed to keep her and help her. Yes, I have not been very good at protecting her feathers. Again, I'm learning.

Thanks for the welcome and I love the site.

outhawkn
03-17-2007, 05:50 PM
I personally have never seen a falconer that hunted routinely that didnt break a feather once in awhile. Just my opinion.

Kim, broken feathers happen everywhere....in the field, in the mews etc. But in time I think you will find that most of the poorly feathered birds you encounter got that way because of poor husbandry and not from hawking. Continued hawking with the broken feathers might further the amount of damage.....but usually its something else that gets the ball rolling.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on all your success with your kestrel!

I must be doing something all wrong, cause mine have almost always been broken in the field.

I'm just curious Kim, what makes you believe it to be a juvenile?