PDA

View Full Version : Forum Has been updated to latest version

Chris L.
09-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Ok, The forum as just been updated to the latest version ( 3.7.3) Please let me know if you run into some errors. I will be adding the welcome page and all the other bells and whistles as I have time. Hopefully all done by the end of tonight!!

thank you for your patience. Again please let me know if you run into any errors

thanks

Chris L. ( owner and Admin of NAFEX.net)

kimmerar
09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Seems faster to me. Thanks Chris. Hopefully the chat will work after this upgrade.

Chris L.
09-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Seems faster to me. Thanks Chris. Hopefully the chat will work after this upgrade.

it is loading faster for sure...

working on chat soon!!

let me know if you run into any problems

FredFogg
09-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Chris, will there be a My Replies and My Topics link on the toolbar above. I like those functions as I can see the threads that I have responded to and also easily find the ones I created. And it does seem faster loading now, great job and thanks, I know folks complain about stuff and not enough thanks is said to you, so a huge

THANK YOU!

Chris L.
09-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Fred,
hmmm great idea. I will find out what edits need to be done for that. Is that function on another forum? let me know and I will take a look at what they have. They may have a mod I can add on for that. I will see.

Its my pleasure, I enjoy this site and really enjoy all the members. It makes all the hard work worth whilebeeer

FredFogg
09-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Fred,
hmmm great idea. I will find out what edits need to be done for that. Is that function on another forum? let me know and I will take a look at what they have. They may have a mod I can add on for that. I will see.

Its my pleasure, I enjoy this site and really enjoy all the members. It makes all the hard work worth whilebeeer
Chris, sent you a pvt message. Again Thanks!

areal
09-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Chris I'll need to restart the old WFF code and use that lovely session ID bug to hack my way back in after tweedledumber's "attempt" at locking it down and then I can dig out those links people are asking you to add. Like yourself I looked for a mod to do those links after users requested them but in the end had to create those links myself.

Anyway, congratulations on being the first falconry forum to secure its users against a really nasty random number bug in the session ID's. Nice to see there's still an admin out there who puts his user's safety before the time, effort and hassle involved in doing the upgrades.

Guess I'll have to go steal account sessions on the other forums since you got yours patched ;)
One thing I am amazed at, having examined the exploit code, is just how easy it is to calculate the session ID for user ID 1 based on your own session ID on any unpatched VB forum.
I guess as users we can only hope the other forum administrators get things patched as quick as you have, before the people they fear come knocking at their session ID's PMSL!!

hawkstir
09-12-2008, 07:05 AM
A BIG THANK YOU to Chris. clapp

Much faster.

hcf
09-12-2008, 04:45 PM
well done chris, much faster even over here!

andy

Chris L.
09-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys! I am glad it went smoothly. Its good to know that the site is safe for now... Well at least I like to tell my self that...I hope the other forums get on board soon. Its no fun playing with a messed up board. Been there done that!

It does seem a lot more stream lined. ITs good to hear even across the pond its fasterbeeer
It does have some new features.. I am still playing with them to see what its about...

thank you again for all of your patience

RTJim
09-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys! I am glad it went smoothly. Its good to know that the site is safe for now... Well at least I like to tell my self that...I hope the other forums get on board soon. Its no fun playing with a messed up board. Been there done that!

It does seem a lot more stream lined. ITs good to hear even across the pond its fasterbeeer
It does have some new features.. I am still playing with them to see what its about...

thank you again for all of your patience

clappTHANKS Chrisclapp...........jm

Chris L.
09-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Chris, will there be a My Replies and My Topics link on the toolbar above. I like those functions as I can see the threads that I have responded to and also easily find the ones I created.

Fred,

...done my friend!!!

thumbsupp

Zarafia
09-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Chris, very well done.
Better than before in terms of the convienience and everything looks very good.
As this forum already has the best of members its just excellent now.
Thank you for all the time and effort I know it takes to maintain it.
It is very appreciated.

Chris L.
09-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Meridith,
Its my pleasure. Thank you for the kind words!!!

FredFogg
09-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Fred,

...done my friend!!!

thumbsupp

Very cool Chris, THANKS! Just got back from the mtns and haven't looked through all the post yet, but I was going to answer a post with a picture and I don't see where I can get to PhotoBucket anymore. Has this been addressed and I have missed the post?

Again, great job Chris!

MikeT307
09-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Is the WYSIWYG menu having problems? When I click on any of the icons for the url code or the smiles nothing happens.

Chris L.
09-22-2008, 06:29 PM
let me know if you are still having any problems. I just got back from Las Vegas, So I have to clean up some things on here. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I didnt get on the forum at all while I was gone

let me know

MikeT307
09-23-2008, 09:36 AM
The menu works with IE but doesn't work with Mozilla. Maybe I need to update Mozilla or something...

MikeT307
09-23-2008, 10:46 AM
box2boxinggfrustoungeout:D
Seems to be working now. Maybe it's operator error or the digital gremlins attacking my PC.:eek:

MikeT307
09-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I think I may know what the problem was. I think the site was stored in my temp files and since I hit it up every day with Mozilla I was still viewing the old index and files associated with it. I hit the refresh button earlier and I think that fixed the problem. Sorry for the confusion!

Chris L.
09-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Mike,
no problem man.. let me know how the site is running for you. Is it slow?

MikeT307
09-23-2008, 11:45 AM
It's not lightning fast but not dial-up slow either. I'm on a T1 connection on my end. At home on cable would most likely be a little slower.

Chris L.
09-23-2008, 11:48 AM
but is there any change ( being slower) that is noticeable in the past 2 days from when I updated..

Eagle Owl
09-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Chris, the site has been slower for me lately.

Chris L.
09-23-2008, 12:07 PM
hmmm, ok I will do some checking into it.

Wes any better on your end today?

Thanks for the input guys.. it helps me to know what others are seeing, as it is still fast and has not gotten slow on my end...

hawkstir
09-23-2008, 12:29 PM
A lot slower the last couple of days. Much slower than any other site I visit. Thought it was just on my end.

wesleyc6
09-23-2008, 02:20 PM
The super slow part seemed associate with that large advertisment. Now it is back to a more normal speed for me. THANKS!

Zarafia
09-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Yep, back to normal here too. Thank you Chris.

Chris L.
09-23-2008, 04:32 PM
no problem guys, thank you for letting me know. I adjusted some things around. Again all input helps!! it seems great on my end!!!

I also just fire fox instead of internet explorer.. I recommend all use fire fox. Much safe browser and it wont infect your computer with spy ware

it can be downloaded here (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox)... make the switch from IE.. break free from the Microsoft strong hold

Chappy99
09-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Chris,

FYI the upgrade seems great and I also use google Chrome to browse your site. Seems to work.

I wonder if this magical upgrade will cure my baldness, weight gain and make all those NAFA ballots show up!

HAHAHAHA!

Zarafia
09-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Chris,

FYI the upgrade seems great and I also use google Chrome to browse your site. Seems to work.

I wonder if this magical upgrade will cure my baldness, weight gain and make all those NAFA ballots show up!

HAHAHAHA!

Careful there, you'll end up making this a pay site. Just be quiet and enjoy the fringe benefits LOL.

FredFogg
09-23-2008, 07:24 PM
I still don't see where posting pictures has been addressed since the upgrade. Are we supposed to now open another window and go into PhotoBucket or where ever we have our photos and use the img tag to post pictures and do the copy and paste from one window back into NAFEX? Seems to me to be a lot more work that way.

areal
09-24-2008, 04:00 AM
Hi Fred, If I may offer an outsider's input. The modification you mention was created for version 3.6.8 of VBulletin. Its XML manifest file is restricted to only install on the versions its been tested on, which means it can only be installed on a 3.6 system.
To get it working on VB3.7 is has to be installed under 3.6 and then left installed while the upgrade is run. The problem is that this can result any templates affected by the modification not getting updated during the VB3.7 upgrade process.
At best you would end up still being able to post images through photobucket, more likely you'd end up with really bad security issues in that page, assuming the 3.6 code still works under 3.7 at all.
For what its worth Chris did the right thing sacrificing that mod for the sake of a clean upgrade.
I'm currently trying to fix that mod so it will work and install on VB.3.7 for an Asian Business Network site I host for a customer. If I can get it working I will gladly forward the working Mod to Chris L to get working on here.

For the time being you should find it works if you paste the full URL to the photobucket graphic into the image tag you get when using the WYSIWYG editor on the forum.

FredFogg
09-24-2008, 05:10 AM
Hi Fred, If I may offer an outsider's input. The modification you mention was created for version 3.6.8 of VBulletin. Its XML manifest file is restricted to only install on the versions its been tested on, which means it can only be installed on a 3.6 system.
To get it working on VB3.7 is has to be installed under 3.6 and then left installed while the upgrade is run. The problem is that this can result any templates affected by the modification not getting updated during the VB3.7 upgrade process.
At best you would end up still being able to post images through photobucket, more likely you'd end up with really bad security issues in that page, assuming the 3.6 code still works under 3.7 at all.
For what its worth Chris did the right thing sacrificing that mod for the sake of a clean upgrade.
I'm currently trying to fix that mod so it will work and install on VB.3.7 for an Asian Business Network site I host for a customer. If I can get it working I will gladly forward the working Mod to Chris L to get working on here.

For the time being you should find it works if you paste the full URL to the photobucket graphic into the image tag you get when using the WYSIWYG editor on the forum.

Thanks Evan! Not sure what the WYSIWYG editor is, but it doesn't matter as I doubt if I will be posting any pictures in the near future.

MikeT307
09-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks Evan! Not sure what the WYSIWYG editor is, but it doesn't matter as I doubt if I will be posting any pictures in the near future.

The WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) menu is the menu with all the smilies and the font controls that you see when you respond or start a post.

FredFogg
09-24-2008, 08:31 AM
The WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) menu is the menu with all the smilies and the font controls that you see when you respond or start a post.

Ok, Thanks Mike! I always called that a ToolBar! But I like WYSIWYG! LOL

Oh yeah, do you need to change your signature now, aren't you a 2nd year apprentice now? LOL It tis a new season!

Chris L.
09-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Evan,
thanks for explaining that to Fred, I couldn't put it in words.

Chris L.
09-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Chris,

HAHAHAHA!

Aaron,
if it does work let me know and I will start an infomercial :D

sevristh
09-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Chris,

I noticed with the upgrade that our signatures are now limited to two lines. My current signature does not even fit into these specs, so I just left it how it was and I guess I am grandfathered in. Can we increase it to three or four so we have the same room as before? I'm assuming this is just a setting that went unnoticed, but if there's a reason, then it's no big deal. Thanks!

Chris L.
09-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Chris,

I noticed with the upgrade that our signatures are now limited to two lines. My current signature does not even fit into these specs, so I just left it how it was and I guess I am grandfathered in. Can we increase it to three or four so we have the same room as before? I'm assuming this is just a setting that went unnoticed, but if there's a reason, then it's no big deal. Thanks!

Dave,
I noticed that and left it 2 because some don't have much restraint when it comes to what they put in their signatures.. It's like bumper stickers on someone's car that you are behind, you are forced to read what they feel is right or some crazy political statement because they are doing a 20 mph in a 55..crazyy

but I will increase it to 3 lines and see if that helps.

thank you for the input

sevristh
09-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks Chris!

Also, what's the latest on the chat? Think it's going to be doable? I keep hoping to see it when I log in, as I have no life and after it gets dark and I can't hunt, TV is too boring! haha!

Chris L.
09-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks Chris!

Also, what's the latest on the chat? Think it's going to be doable? I keep hoping to see it when I log in, as I have no life and after it gets dark and I can't hunt, TV is too boring! haha!

Dave,
working on the chat, but it seems its not to friendly with the newest version of VB.

Evan you know anything about upgrading the flash chat to the newest VB. I have loaded and re uploaded everything but it wont work properly.

let me know what you think if you have any ideas of what may be going on with it and its compatibility to the newest version of VB.. hell the flash chat installer doesn't even have the newest version listed confusedd

areal
09-27-2008, 09:26 PM
hell the flash chat installer doesn't even have the newest version listed confusedd

Youre nearly there mate. Each release of VB requires the user authentication module for flashchat to be updated to match changes in the VB authentication.
This latest release VB3.7.3pl1 was a big bugfix in the random sequence number generation of VB. I'd bet my two hands there's no way the older versions of flashchat will be able to login to VB3.7.3pl1
I'll have a look if the author has released a compatible version, if not I have the CVS address details for his development tree somewhere, I'll pull it down and see how far he's got with interating the new user authentication modules.

areal
09-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Dave,
I noticed that and left it 2 because some don't have much restraint when it comes to what they put in their signatures.. It's like bumper stickers on someone's car that you are behind, you are forced to read what they feel is right or some crazy political statement because they are doing a 20 mph in a 55..crazyy

but I will increase it to 3 lines and see if that helps.

thank you for the input

You see its because of sharp eye'd admin like you that I cant get away with posting the latest 419 scammer's punt I've received as a signature.

Chris, proper geek gossip, have you heard that there's been a new prime number discovered.
I got a briefing through this afternoon, if I read it correctly it sounds like it would be equivalent to adding an extra 6 or 7 bits to a traditional encryption cypher. Bet the boys at Langley are happy, NOT!!

Chris L.
09-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Youre nearly there mate. Each release of VB requires the user authentication module for flashchat to be updated to match changes in the VB authentication.
This latest release VB3.7.3pl1 was a big bugfix in the random sequence number generation of VB. I'd bet my two hands there's no way the older versions of flashchat will be able to login to VB3.7.3pl1
I'll have a look if the author has released a compatible version, if not I have the CVS address details for his development tree somewhere, I'll pull it down and see how far he's got with interating the new user authentication modules.

Evan,
I figured it had to do with something like that. he is not to fast in updating his chat integration either frus.. but i like it because it uses very little band width.. do you know of another good chats out there for vb besides besides tufat's chat??

You see its because of sharp eye'd admin like you that I cant get away with posting the latest 419 scammer's punt I've received as a signature.

Chris, proper geek gossip, have you heard that there's been a new prime number discovered.
I got a briefing through this afternoon, if I read it correctly it sounds like it would be equivalent to adding an extra 6 or 7 bits to a traditional encryption cypher. Bet the boys at Langley are happy, NOT!!

I hear it was a group of volunteers.. Whose taxes paid for the computers and the programmers?confusedd

cryptographers and mathematicians are both going nuts over this for sure!!!

wesleyc6
09-28-2008, 10:51 PM
I found that number in 8th grade (second time through) but I just didn't say anythingtoungeout