PDA

View Full Version : Non-resident wild take

h-bob
10-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Just curious, is there a list somewhere of which U.S. states and/or Canadian provinces that allow for non-resident wild take? I was shooting the breeze with a buddy of mine about the differences in various state laws and we were both wondering why some states allow it and others do not.

I ask because our club is working with our ministry of natural resources about developing the laws required to allow wild take and we are all trying to get a clearer picture of how it is being successfully done elsewhere.

outhawkn
10-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Minnesota allows it with no charge..............

FredFogg
10-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I just got a non resident trapping permit from Kansas, they require you to buy a non-resident hunting license for $72 and apply for the trapping permit. You then get a card that you have to fill out telling what you trapped even if you don't trap anything and send it back in.

sharptail
10-24-2008, 10:56 PM
I see it went from 'non resident take' to non resident WILD take. Something struck a cord there. What other kind would it be, and why the change?

goshawks00
10-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Michigan allows a non resident take...requirement...must get a trapping permit from our state DNR... free of charge.
barry

h-bob
10-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Michigan allows a non resident take...requirement...must get a trapping permit from our state DNR... free of charge.
barry

hmmm, I wonder how that would work for an Ontario resident? seeing I live around 30 mins from Michigan. Then there is the Cites paperwork..................

Wishfully thinking

canadamanada
10-26-2008, 10:53 AM
hmmm, I wonder how that would work for an Ontario resident? seeing I live around 30 mins from Michigan. Then there is the Cites paperwork..................

Wishfully thinking

That would be out of country take.
I think no Canadian provinces offer out of province take. There are just not enough raptors in Canada to go around, you see? Or so the brain trustees would have us believe.
I like the irony that a Canadian gyr can be trapped on migration, with an out of state permit by American falconers in some Northern states, and yet it cannot be taken in most of Canada, by Canadians. It boggles the mind, this logic.
Justin

Mitchellbrad
10-26-2008, 11:16 AM
I like the irony that a Canadian gyr can be trapped on migration, with an out of state permit by American falconers in some Northern states, and yet it cannot be taken in most of Canada, by Canadians. It boggles the mind, this logic.
Justin

"Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species" The operative word here is "Endangered". Neither the US nor Canada consider the gyr endangered. One would think a simple permit issued and cosigned by both countries should be enough for residents to travel across borders to trap/take wild birds. I don't foresee that ever happening.

canadamanada
10-27-2008, 11:02 PM
"Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species" The operative word here is "Endangered". Neither the US nor Canada consider the gyr endangered. One would think a simple permit issued and cosigned by both countries should be enough for residents to travel across borders to trap/take wild birds. I don't foresee that ever happening.

The problem being that logic fails in almost every instance of raptor legislation.
I read somewhere that the numbers of HHs in America is comparable to the number of Gyrfalcons in the winter. I think Beebe wrote that.
So, "SAVE THE HHs!"
Justin

Mitchellbrad
10-28-2008, 10:32 AM
The problem being that logic fails in almost every instance of raptor legislation.
I read somewhere that the numbers of HHs in America is comparable to the number of Gyrfalcons in the winter. I think Beebe wrote that.
So, "SAVE THE HHs!"
Justin

Basically it's emotionalism when it comes to most raptor legislation. Often falconers are no different. Last night I got a call from a falconer who was concerned the peregrine was still listed at the Federal level.

I don't know how anyone could estimate the number of gyrs wintering here. In certain areas of the country they are in good numbers. Good numbers to me is seeing a couple a day, to someone else it might mean they are rare. I've never seen a wild harris, don't know anything about them nor do I intend on learning <G>

outhawkn
10-31-2008, 01:23 PM
That would be out of country take.
I think no Canadian provinces offer out of province take. There are just not enough raptors in Canada to go around, you see? Or so the brain trustees would have us believe.
Justin

How would you know if it was a canadian born or alaskan born?

h-bob
10-31-2008, 07:25 PM
How would you know if it was a canadian born or alaskan born?

Just ask it what kind of beer it prefers? Good beer = canadian bird........... <very very big grin>

Squirrelhawkin
11-10-2008, 08:34 PM
How does a "NO Resident take" sound to you. In Connecticut we can't even trap our own birds in state.A big thank you to NY,NJ and RI for allowing CT falconers to capture our birds there.clapp

GregMik
11-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Just ask it what kind of beer it prefers? Good beer = canadian bird........... <very very big grin>

Hey Now.....:D You just have beer with a high alcohol content. Which means you don't care what it taste like as long as you get drunk fast....pmsl

Greg

zingy
12-04-2008, 04:32 PM

What do canoes and American beer have in common?????..............They're both f***ing close to water!! hahahaha...toungeout

goshawks00
12-04-2008, 05:16 PM
If the bird asks for a beer and adds eh!! at the end, it's a canuck boyd.
Barry

Flatwater Falconer
12-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Just curious, is there a list somewhere of which U.S. states and/or Canadian provinces that allow for non-resident wild take? I was shooting the breeze with a buddy of mine about the differences in various state laws and we were both wondering why some states allow it and others do not.

I ask because our club is working with our ministry of natural resources about developing the laws required to allow wild take and we are all trying to get a clearer picture of how it is being successfully done elsewhere.

The feds might have a list of states. If not it would be a state by state search of their regs. That's something I would be willing to research. It would be a worthwhile list to compile.

Best,

crazyfalconer
12-05-2008, 09:13 AM
It would seem that it should be somewhere if not the Feds maybe NAFA would have an idea..

What I do know is I have taken a Gos from CA w/ a fee when residing in a reciprocal state and FL allows a non resident take and no fee ( not sure if they require resoprisity)... Talk about a place to go *IF* they ever allow a passage harvest of peregrines...