PDA

View Full Version : "Small Hawk" spotted in So-Calif

Flatwater Falconer
11-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit:

I was just on the phone with my sister and she told me that over the last two months there's been a small hawk with bells around their Claremont neighborhood. They live up against Mount Baldy there in Claremont and this bird is often heard and occasionally seen. They don't know what species only that it's "compact" about 10 inches high (estimate!) and wing span of maybe 18 inches (estimate!). Her husband doesn't think it's a Coops. He said he's a little familiar with that species. But who knows?

Wish I could give more information but if you know of anyone who's lost their bird in the last three months in the Pomona/Claremont area I could try to get you in touch.

EricADugan
11-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Donna,
I live in Upland and went to school in Claremont. If you want you can forward them my contact info and they can call me next time they see it. Im about 10 minutes from anywhere in Claremont. Pm me for my contact info if you want to give it to them.

Eric

Flatwater Falconer
11-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey,

Thanks Eric. I'll try to find out more and pm you.

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I just got back from Amarillo.

Best,

FredFogg
11-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Tell them to try and get a picture of it! A picture is really worth a thousand words, especially when it comes to identifying a raptor! LOL

Flatwater Falconer
12-04-2008, 06:05 PM
That's a great idea Fred. Sis is a photographer. Thanks for the suggestion!

Todd Brown
01-21-2009, 11:45 PM
could be a sharp-shinned hawk

BestBeagler
01-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Karl Kersters lost the brother to my peregrine and he is in California. Long shot I know but... Isaac

Flatwater Falconer
01-23-2009, 04:41 PM
I've asked my sister to get a photo of the bird. That's hit and miss but at least a possibility. She said her neighbor down the street might be able to identify species so I'm waiting for the results of that query.