PDA

View Full Version : Chris in Amarillo

matthewmullenix
12-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Chris it was good to meet you out in Amarillo. Glad you had such a great day with your Harris on Monday. Pic below by Diana Edwards.

Best,
Matt

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp53/matthewmullenix/NAFA2008-Amarillo007Medium.jpg

matthewmullenix
12-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Chris there's another one of you in this group of photos...

http://stephenbodio.blogspot.com/2008/11/thanksgiving-hunt.html

Best,
Matt

Saluqi
12-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Great photo Matt, I thought Chris was going to wet himself that day!

Chris L.
12-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Matt,

Thanks for posting that, it really shows how much fun I was really having. I had a blast!! thank you for taking Paul and I to that spot. It was so much fun watching all the birds do so well. Your teircel was fierce and wouldn't stop. I enjoyed watching them both take bunny after bunny... nothing could be finer!!!

It was great to meet you, Eric and Dianna... You all are great people and it was a blast hanging out with you guys. Thank you for showing us all such a great time. It was a hunt in Texas I will never forget. Please tell Jimmy I said thank you as well.

how did you guys do the rest of the time you were in TX?

I hope we all can do it again someday.

Chris

Takasho
12-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Great photo Matt, I thought Chris was going to wet himself that day!

It actually kinda looks like Chris is wetting himself right there in that pic! :D

matthewmullenix
12-02-2008, 11:17 PM
>>how did you guys do the rest of the time you were in TX?

Chris that honeyhole has been productive for years and so nice because it's safe from cars and fences. Glad you got to enjoy it.

Ernie ended the meet with 12 cottontails, 1 pheasant, 1 sparrow and numerous "popcorn" rodents. He bound briefly to a jack but decided it was not for him. Also chased a quail into a pack rat hole but we couldn't get the thing back out...

Eric's new merlin caught a house sparrow and flew well at blackbirds.

Tim Breen's Harris caught several more cottontails that week, about 6 I think.

How did you make out overall?

Bacon
12-03-2008, 10:09 AM
It actually kinda looks like Chris is wetting himself right there in that pic!

He made that face most of the time he was here as well....I was really good to meet you Chris and I hope we can do it again soon.

-Nate

Chris L.
12-03-2008, 02:11 PM
It actually kinda looks like Chris is wetting himself right there in that pic! :D

Isaac, sometimes I did I was having so much fun.. .you need to trade in that kestrel for a HH and you too will have that face toungeout

He made that face most of the time he was here as well....I was really good to meet you Chris and I hope we can do it again soon.

-Nate

Nate I had a blast out in Nm. It was great to see murder chicken do the "magical" flight!! Bro I thought she was a goner! It was great to hang out with you as well. Thanks for coming to the meet. We will do it again for sure

I will be back soon

Chris L.
12-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Chris that honeyhole has been productive for years and so nice because it's safe from cars and fences. Glad you got to enjoy it.

Ernie ended the meet with 12 cottontails, 1 pheasant, 1 sparrow and numerous "popcorn" rodents. He bound briefly to a jack but decided it was not for him. Also chased a quail into a pack rat hole but we couldn't get the thing back out...

Eric's new merlin caught a house sparrow and flew well at blackbirds.

Tim Breen's Harris caught several more cottontails that week, about 6 I think.

How did you make out overall?

Man Ernie did great. I hate I didn't see the pheasant flight. I had heard you got one!!! What a great trip for you guys.. sounds like everyone had a blast.

I would have liked to have seen Eric's merlin fly some more. I enjoyed watching him fly her. I bet he was happy with her sparrow. Did she ring up the birds?

Tell Eric and Tim I have some pictures of them both and I will be posting them soon, there are some of you as well. I will post the link here

Miggs took 10 cotton tail and one Jack. She flew after some quail but never connected...She bound to a ton of jacks but finally closed the deal on the last one she went after, nice head shot.. finally!!! She rode most of them like a rodeo!!. I am pretty proud of her, this was her first introduction to bunnies and Jacks.

You guys have any more trips planned this year?

Chris L.
12-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Matt here are some good pictures of that day

have a look

http://www.nafex.net/showpost.php?p=58308&postcount=20

matthewmullenix
12-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Chris, Eric's merlin did ring up several sparrows nicely and blasted through some blackbird flocks also. The house sparrow he caught on Wed. was taken from a group of about 25 flushed from a corner farm fence. A great flight and nice pick-up.

Ernie's pheasant "flight" was really no great shakes. I thought he had caught a cottontail after a short chase and wingover on something running ahead inteh grass. Then Diana screamed, "IT'S A PHEASANT!!" and we all charged in to help Ernie hold it. Not much of a flight, but he held the thing well. And it goes inthe W column.

MikeT307
12-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Ernie's pheasant "flight" was really no great shakes. I thought he had caught a cottontail after a short chase and wingover on something running ahead inteh grass. Then Diana screamed, "IT'S A PHEASANT!!" and we all charged in to help Ernie hold it. Not much of a flight, but he held the thing well. And it goes inthe W column.

Matthew I really enjoy reading your blog. I hope you post off and on here on NAFEX.

matthewmullenix
12-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Mike, many thanks!

Bacon
12-07-2008, 08:13 PM
It was great to see murder chicken do the "magical" flight!! Bro I thought she was a goner!

Yep, nothing like a bunch of electricity to calm a coops right down....
Keep in tough guy, get back out soon.

-Nate

frootdog
12-08-2008, 02:45 AM
Yep, nothing like a bunch of electricity to calm a coops right down....
Keep in tough guy, get back out soon.

-Nate

Enlighten those of us that are not in the know.

Bacon
12-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Enlighten those of us that are not in the know.

My intermewed passage female coops decided that the smartest thing she could do was to bate off my fist and head directly for a set of high tension wires.... She didn't get electrocuted, but got a pretty good discharge of static electricity right before she landed on the wire. It was loud enough that we heard it zap from the ground, she fell out of the air for about 6 feet then recovered and decided to hide from me in a bush for several minutes. Of course, she'd been hiding from me for weeks, so no real change there. I thought everyone there was going to pee thier pants when she headed for that wire.....

frootdog
12-09-2008, 11:33 AM
One of the HH's I flew with flew up to one landed square on the wire and got zapped. Feet locked bird fell over and then let go. Fell about 4-6 feet and landed on the cross bart, then took a few minutes to come to the lure. We flew her after that and she did quite well. They do give off a bit of a pop but generaly not too bad.

Bacon
12-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Yeah, didn't really seem to bother her any more than anything else ever did. Everyone on the ground going "NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!" actually worried me more than the wire, all I could think was "...figures"

Chris L.
12-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah I heard the ZZZZAP and I had a bad feeling... She handled it like a champ..

Bacon
12-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Yep, always good times out here! I've cut her loose and Chris should be happy to know that I've joined "Harris Hawkers Anonymous"

My name is Nate...and I...I fly...a...harris hawk....(sobbing) toungeout

Chris L.
12-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Yep, always good times out here! I've cut her loose and Chris should be happy to know that I've joined "Harris Hawkers Anonymous"

My name is Nate...and I...I fly...a...harris hawk....(sobbing) toungeout

clapp.. Welcome Nate!!!.. now your game bag should start to get heavier :D..

keep us posted on the harris !!

Bacon
12-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't know, 34 rabbits in 2 months with a 400g coops is gonna be tough to beat, but I'm willing to try! I've really been enjoying this little guy so far, he's changing my mind about Harris's (So I guess you were right :D)

Chris L.
12-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I really enjoy harris hawks. They really are a lot of fun. You will enjoy how much they become a part of the team... Maybe we can bring Paul to the dark side as well :eek:

everetkhorton
12-10-2008, 02:11 PM
NATE:
This is off the subject, do you free loft your Cooper's Hawk or keep her on a perch for the molt.?

Bacon
12-10-2008, 10:11 PM
do you free loft your Cooper's Hawk or keep her on a perch for the molt.? I free lofted her, even with the elastic leash she was getting leg scale damage when tied to the perch all the time.

Maybe we can bring Paul to the dark side as wellTo quote the late, great John Candy; we'd have better luck playing pick-up-sticks with our butt cheeks.

I really enjoy harris hawks. They really are a lot of fun. You will enjoy how much they become a part of the team

That mean I can hit you up for a male from your breeding project? (wink wink)

Chris L.
12-11-2008, 07:48 AM
To quote the late, great John Candy; we'd have better luck playing pick-up-sticks with our butt cheeks.

Nate,
I about spit coffee all over myself when I read that!!!clapp

That mean I can hit you up for a male from your breeding project? (wink wink)

Hell yeah man!! I will let you know when eggs hit the nest and if you are serious I will hold you one, ... Keep us posted on the progress of you new guy. I cant wait to see the pictures

Bacon
12-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm kicking the idea around, but of course in my version I need 2 males to fly together all the time.....What the hell is wrong with me anyway?