PDA

View Full Version : DB gets another green head...

Hawkingcolorado
12-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Well we went duck hawking this morning. After thinking that DB was slowing a little while chasing ducks, and not connecting, he nailed this one and it took him back into the creek. He held on as I went swimming to get to the other side. They were only in about 6" of water when I got there. I think he was "stoked". He manted just a little, which he doesn't usually do.:D
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/hawkingcolorado/MISCPICS352.jpg

GregMik
12-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Thats great Tim!!! Ducks are fun!clapp

Greg

everetkhorton
12-07-2008, 09:02 PM
WTG Tim, you are getting pretty good at that swimming ;)

FredFogg
12-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Tim, you call that mantling! LOL Let me show you some mantling with this gos I have! LOL We are going to do some crow hawking this week, gave him a baggie crow today and fed him up, so we will see what he does when I show him one that isn't tied down. :eek:

Saluqi
12-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Nice Tim. Are there a lot of trees along the creek making it easy to sneak up? The only creek I've ever hunted had lots of trees but sneaking up was still a challenge.

John
12-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Nice!

Hawkingcolorado
12-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Nice Tim. Are there a lot of trees along the creek making it easy to sneak up? The only creek I've ever hunted had lots of trees but sneaking up was still a challenge.

Paul,
I'm new to hawking ducks with a Gos, but the two best places, the ducks can't see you until your'e right next to them( trees and high grass). Plus one is a creek with 20 foot cliffs along it, so you have the high ground. Seems like if they see you 20 yds out, or more, they get the jump, and get away. Or they just fly/paddle down the creek, and won't come off the water. Next time you talk to Steve Layman, ask about his "sneak up on ducks" method...hysterical, but I'll bet it works...

GregMik
12-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Paul,
I'm new to hawking ducks with a Gos, but the two best places, the ducks can't see you until your'e right next to them( trees and high grass). Plus one is a creek with 20 foot cliffs along it, so you have the high ground. Seems like if they see you 20 yds out, or more, they get the jump, and get away. Or they just fly/paddle down the creek, and won't come off the water. Next time you talk to Steve Layman, ask about his "sneak up on ducks" method...hysterical, but I'll bet it works...

Steve is awesome!!

I learned allot from a friend of Steve Laymans...Steve Kaufer. Steve K is the best goshawker I know of online or RL. The man is the best.

Greg

Hawkingcolorado
12-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Steve is awesome!!

I learned allot from a friend of Steve Laymans...Steve Kaufer. Steve K is the best goshawker I know of online or RL. The man is the best.

Greg
Steve K. is the guy who showed Steve L. the "sneak thing"!!!!!!!!!
I haven't tried it yet. I'll see if I can find Steve Layman's e-mail to me about it...

Hawkingcolorado
12-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Yep, duck on creeks a real challenge... Here, in short, is what I have been doing because I have males that can not tussle with mallard that want to drag them back into the water...I have to get them to flush out over land where my little males can handle them. The first thing I have found is not to rush the creek screaming and yelling... I sneak up to a distance some where between 20 to 50 yards and then raise my hand and twiddle my fingers... my hand is the first thing the ducks see at a some what safe distance for them. I hold my gos low so he can not see the ducks. I want the ducks to think that they are being approached by an unknown ground thing that does not seem to be threatening them but it makes them uncomfortable.... I want them to leave the creek raising vertically and out over land to get a better view of the dwindling fleshy dancing finger puppets that don't seem to have predator motivations.. As they rise and move away I hide the gos behind my body for view of the duck so he remains on the fist for a little longer causing the ducks to continue to raise higher in response to me sitting still. Then when the gos takes off the ducks can not cut back to the water... The flights are long and high... The percentages are dependent on your being able to judge your hawks motivation and speed to closer the distance.- Steve L.

GregMik
12-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Steve K. is the guy who showed Steve L. the "sneak thing"!!!!!!!!!
I haven't tried it yet. I'll see if I can find Steve Layman's e-mail to me about it...

Have you seen the Kaufer throw?

Greg

Hawkingcolorado
12-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Have you seen the Kaufer throw?

Greg

No, but I'd love to..:D

GregMik
12-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Yep, duck on creeks a real challenge... Here, in short, is what I have been doing because I have males that can not tussle with mallard that want to drag them back into the water...I have to get them to flush out over land where my little males can handle them. The first thing I have found is not to rush the creek screaming and yelling... I sneak up to a distance some where between 20 to 50 yards and then raise my hand and twiddle my fingers... my hand is the first thing the ducks see at a some what safe distance for them. I hold my gos low so he can not see the ducks. I want the ducks to think that they are being approached by an unknown ground thing that does not seem to be threatening them but it makes them uncomfortable.... I want them to leave the creek raising vertically and out over land to get a better view of the dwindling fleshy dancing finger puppets that don't seem to have predator motivations.. As they rise and move away I hide the gos behind my body for view of the duck so he remains on the fist for a little longer causing the ducks to continue to raise higher in response to me sitting still. Then when the gos takes off the ducks can not cut back to the water... The flights are long and high... The percentages are dependent on your being able to judge your hawks motivation and speed to closer the distance.- Steve L.

I just throw rocks in the creek...pmsl...

Greg

GregMik
12-08-2008, 12:44 AM
No, but I'd love to..:D

Ok...I will try to find the pics I have of it...They are posted on the "Other forum"

Greg