PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Vale, North Carolina

fyduska
12-19-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm in the pre-apprentice stage and I'm very excited to get started in falconry. I have been reading several books and as much info on the net as I can get my hands on. I am still searching for a sponsor but in the meantime I am preparing for the exam. I attended my first meet this past weekend in Marion and had a great time and met some very helpful falconers.
I'm anxious to get started so that everything can be ready for next years trapping season. My fear is that I will not find a sponsor in my area. I'm confident the pieces will all come together in due time. frus

Mark Connolly / Vale, North Carolina
K9 Command, Inc. / http://www.k9command.com (http://www.k9command.com/)

paganlove22
12-19-2008, 04:01 PM
(welc) Lots of good people and good info on here.

outhawkn
12-19-2008, 05:45 PM
(welc)(welc)

FredFogg
12-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Mark,

Where is Vale, NC? I looked it up on MapQuest and it shows a Vale in Avery and Lincoln county. I am in Winston-Salem. Since you went to the Marion Meet, I am sure folks there suggested you join the NCFG. I have a list of the membership, so I might be able to find someone close to you that you might inquire to be your sponsor.

Welcome to NAFEX! Oh yeah, I grew up in WV, as I see you went to canine school up there.

Happy Hawking,

fyduska
12-19-2008, 10:37 PM
The canine school was in Buckhannon if your familiar with that area. The school was run by a guy named Wayne Davis but it has been closed for about ten years now.

Vale is kinda funny in that you could live in Lincoln or Catawba county and be in Vale. I live off of Old NC 18 in the northwest corner of Lincoln County. We are just a few miles from South Mountain State Park and also the game lands located there.toungeout

James Caldwell and Bill Davis were the guys I hunted with all day and I had a blast. They were both very helpful however both are from the other side of the state. I plan to join the NCFG but I still need a person to refer me for the application process.

Thanks everyone for the welcome;)

FredFogg
12-19-2008, 10:55 PM
The canine school was in Buckhannon if your familiar with that area. The school was run by a guy named Wayne Davis but it has been closed for about ten years now.

Vale is kinda funny in that you could live in Lincoln or Catawba county and be in Vale. I live off of Old NC 18 in the northwest corner of Lincoln County. We are just a few miles from South Mountain State Park and also the game lands located there.toungeout

James Caldwell and Bill Davis were the guys I hunted with all day and I had a blast. They were both very helpful however both are from the other side of the state. I plan to join the NCFG but I still need a person to refer me for the application process.

Thanks everyone for the welcome;)

Yeah, I am familiar with Buchannon, my uncle lived there. I grew up in Doddridge County, which is about 20 miles west of Clarksburg. I might be related to Wayne Davis as my fathers side of the family are Davis's. LOL There are a couple falconers in the Statesville area and a couple in the Charlotte area and maybe one closer to you, I will have to look at the list and see if any of the folks listed live in a town near you.

The best thing you can do is call the NCWRC and request a falconry packet. It will give you all the information you need to get started, along with a list of potential sponsers. I am little too far from you to sponser you as I believe a sponser should be as close as possible, even though that isn't always possible.

I would suggest joining the guild as an associate member and attending the meets if possible as this will give you better access to those that can help you. I will be at the next meet, so if you go, I look forward to meeting you. And if you are ever in Winston-Salem, let me know you are coming and you can come by and see my facilities and birds and maybe even go hunting.

NCFalconer
12-19-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm in the pre-apprentice stage and I'm very excited to get started in falconry. I have been reading several books and as much info on the net as I can get my hands on. I am still searching for a sponsor but in the meantime I am preparing for the exam. I attended my first meet this past weekend in Marion and had a great time and met some very helpful falconers.
I'm anxious to get started so that everything can be ready for next years trapping season. My fear is that I will not find a sponsor in my area. I'm confident the pieces will all come together in due time. frus

Mark Connolly / Vale, North Carolina
K9 Command, Inc. / http://www.k9command.com (http://www.k9command.com/)
Mark,

You're in luck. There are at two good falconers who live fairly close to you: one in the Statesville area and the other in Hickory. Either one of them would be a great sponsor. Be sure to come to the NCFG meet in mid-January and meet them and some of the others.
Also, if you ever come to Charlotte to work with our K9 guys with CMPD or the gang unit, please let me know and I'll meet you and introduce you to one or two other local falconers.

fyduska
12-20-2008, 12:39 AM
I know a few of those guys from the CMPD K9 Unit but I'm kind of out of the loop these last few years. A few of the Gang Unit members helped out a great deal with the investigation of a shooting incident that involved me a few years back. Brian Russell with the K9 Unit always struck me as a great guy and I was fortunate to spend a day training with him a while back.

I knew about Statesville but who is in Hickory? :D
Hickory is only about 30 minutes and I'm there quite a bit already.

I was told to try and find Joey Osborne and that he lives very close to me. I'm told he has not flown any birds in a few years but who knows maybe an apprentice might inspire him to get back into falconry. confusedd

If anyone knows current contact info for Joey Osborne I would really like to get a hold of him.

NCFalconer
12-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Glad you got to meet Brian Russell; he is one of the good guys. And I read about your incident, so I am glad the gang unit folks could assist; they're also a couple of good troops.

I'll send you contact info for Joey Osborne via private e-mail.

D

Ted Bell
12-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Mark;

I'm in Rutherfordton, which isn't too far from you as the crow flies. Unfortunately, it's a bit farther by road due to a lack of a direct route. I'll send you my contact info by PM.

Thanks,
Ted

NCFalconer
12-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Mark;

I'm in Rutherfordton, which isn't too far from you as the crow flies. Unfortunately, it's a bit farther by road due to a lack of a direct route. I'll send you my contact info by PM.

Thanks,
Ted

My apologies, Ted. I momentarily forgot you were back in God's country!!
You're bound to be the closest falconer to Mark.

Ted Bell
12-24-2008, 11:12 AM
My apologies, Ted. I momentarily forgot you were back in God's country!!
You're bound to be the closest falconer to Mark.

No problem! My new goal in life is to be forgettable. :)

jhausman
02-12-2009, 12:13 AM
No problem! My new goal in life is to be forgettable. :)

Skulls never forget. ;)

jhausman
02-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Mark! Welcome! Ask away! Lot of great and friendly falconers in NC.

Cheers!

Jason

NCFalconer
02-12-2009, 01:10 AM
I think y'all scared him off with that "Skulls" stuff! Sounds like an Ivy League fraternity. It must be an exclusive club for longwingers! ;)

rudifalconer
05-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Hi,
Was the meet in marion with ncfg? i an also a pre aprentice and im in the asheville area, im wondering where you got info on the meet? i have been looking to go to one but i havent been able to find any, are there any more in the area?
Thank You
Rudi Boekschoten
Asheville Nc

FredFogg
05-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Hi,
Was the meet in marion with ncfg? i an also a pre aprentice and im in the asheville area, im wondering where you got info on the meet? i have been looking to go to one but i havent been able to find any, are there any more in the area?
Thank You
Rudi Boekschoten
Asheville Nc

Meets are all over until next fall. Spring picnic was yesterday, fall picnic information coming later. How anyone can be so interested in falconry and not be able to find the NC Falconers Guild website amazes me! Google falconry and nc and what is the top hit? Click on Schedule of Events for upcoming picnics, workshops, and meets.

sharptail
05-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Welcome aboard Mark!

rudifalconer
05-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Hey,
I am a member of the guild but only for about wo weeks and there was not very much info for any meets in my area. im still looking though!
Thanks
Rudi Boekschoten

FredFogg
05-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey,
I am a member of the guild but only for about wo weeks and there was not very much info for any meets in my area. im still looking though!
Thanks
Rudi Boekschoten

The meets and any Guild events are posted on the Guild website as they come up. So continue to check the website periodically to catch the upcoming events.