PDA

View Full Version : Hello

kirklan
04-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Kirklan and I am new to the site. I am not yet a licsenced falconer, but I am currently reading and researching as much as possible in anticipation of taking my test and finding a sponsor ASAP. I have been interested in falconry for some time, but until now I did not feel ready to take the dive.

I live in West Jordan, Utah and hopefully there will be others from the state on the forum. So far my biggest problem has been finding a local falconers to talk to. Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Kirklan

everetkhorton
04-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Kirklan: Welcome to the site. There is a lot of knowledge on the site and is a very frendlly group. I have hunted twice in Vernal, great place, so much different than Michigan. Great rabbit country. Look up Randy Hyde and tell him I said hi. He lives in SLC.

`Chris L.
04-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Kirklan,

It is great to see new people getting into falconry. You will find one of the hrdest parts of the process is getting a sponsor... Hang in there and keep looking. The best advice I can give you is to go to some falconry meets and introduce yourself there. Also, get a list of your states falconers from your DNR office and start calling around.

Good luck and please dont hesitate to ask questions here as well. We have a great group here with a lot of knowledge

Again, welcome to the site

everetkhorton
04-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Kirklan: Find two or three new bunny field and ofer to take out a falconer and you are half way there. Also offer to beat the brush always helps. When in a group, just listen to what is going on. A lot of falconers seem to [smilie=bs.gif] a lot, we that is just part of the sport. Lots of war storys. Reading is one of the best first steps.

kirklan
04-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Just got in my books from Western Sporting and will start to read and research everything I can. I'll have to wait until this fall to go to a falconry get together here in Utah. Oh well, I'll just take it nice and easy and hope to meet some falconers at the fall get together and the Utah Sky Trials. Funny, the Utah Falconers Assoc. website does not list any phone #'s or a way to join the association. Does'nt seem very "beginner friendly" arround here. Guess I'll have to cantact the state DWR and see if they have a contact list.

On a side note, I took my Deutsch Drathaar Darko to his VJP and he scored a 73 which was the top dog in his group. [smilie=banana.gif]

`Chris L.
04-17-2007, 05:46 PM
On a side note, I took my Deutsch Drathaar Darko to his VJP and he scored a 73 which was the top dog in his group. [smilie=banana.gif]

[smilie=eusa_clap.gif] great job.. if you can apply your determination that you have for dog training towards falconry , I think you will be a great falconer

congrats

everetkhorton
04-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Kirklan: Are you planning on going to the NAFA meet this year in Alamosa CO.? There will be some people from this site there.

`Chris L.
04-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Kirklan: Are you planning on going to the NAFA meet this year in Alamosa CO.? There will be some people from this site there.

[smilie=icon_pidu.gif] ... oh how much fun its going to be

wesleyc6
04-18-2007, 10:06 AM
That is a great score on the VJP. High enough to be invited to the Armbruster. Are you going to do that? You should if your schedule allows. Mine did not, even though Minka scored high enough to go too. They asked me to do a falconry demo up there too, but I just couldn't go.

Ev,
The VJP is a puppy test for the VDD. VDD is German for the Drahthaar "owners/club". It is a natural ability test that looks at: gunshyness, nose, pointing, search, and cooperation. The dog is shot over twice from like 30 m away. They are permitted to search a field and that can show nose, search, coopertion(do they keep an eye on you or leave the country) and point if they find something to point. They are allowed to point at least 2 birds to show how well they hold a point(not supposed to be whoa trained either). They flush a rabbit and a dog that didn't see it is brought up on leash and put on the trail and they are judged there on tracking. I guess that is a real skeleton answer.

The HZP is harder with more training required. The dog also does water work and retrieving on it. My pup would go like a 1/4 mile on a rabbit drag to retrieve it to hand. They are quite amazing dogs!

The VGP is the grand utility test and most owners will tell you that a dog that passes a VGP with a prize one is in the top 10% of any dog you will encounter in the field.

The VJP and the HZP are limited by age. The VGP isn't I think. There are other tests like 20 hour blood trailing, 40 hour bloodtrailing, hardness, Armbruster Halt, barking dead game, bringing a tab back and leading a handler to dead game that was bloodtrailed. I am no expert at all and some of that may be a little off, but for the most part that is how it goes.

In the VDD system, you have to pass at least one of the tests to breed. Almost all breeder use the VJP and HZP and there is a lot of pressure inside the club to take your dogs through the VGP now before breeding. This is why MOST DD's are such good dogs in my opinion. It is VERY easy for a dog to be disqualified from breeding, temperament included!

They are my favorite breed for sure! I can't wait to have another in REAL bird country like TEXAS!

kimmerar
04-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks Wes for that detailed info. I learn something new every day from this site.

everetkhorton
04-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Wes: It sounds like the club is trying real hard to keep a good field dog. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] Thanks for the information. Not many bird around here so not a lot of dog work going on, maybe further South.

wesleyc6
04-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Ev,
They are certainly trying to maintain hunting in the line. It is an awesome breed registry, but only as awesome as those that test their dogs like Kirklan.

They are expected to be good on fur too! My dog almost circled the FIRST rabbit she ever was put on and that was just by scent until she rejumped it. I have seen her tree a squirrel with a rabbit in her mouth!

everetkhorton
04-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Wes: A picture of the dog with a rabbit in its mouth treeing a sqr would have been great. Sounds great. I hope they keep them as a hunting breed.