PDA

View Full Version : New member from Flathead Lake Montana

carlosR
04-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Good fourm, I live in western Montana and am into goshawks. I fly mostly passage goshawks, plentiful and easy to come by. This spring I'm getting an eyas Finnish gos. It was tough on the family with the touchy passage birds, great in the field but lousy socializers! So I'm looking forward to having some fun raising a bird at tame hack from our place in the woods.
I am looking for a copy of "The Imprint Accipiter", any leads?

`Chris L.
04-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Carlos,
Welcome to NAFEX. We have a great group of people here that are very friendly. It sounds like you have some great accipiter experience. Some others on here will be getting some eyas gos's and it will be nice to hear the differences in the training and imprinting.

Please dont hesitate to post and keep us posted on the eyas progress when you get him/her

welcome

kimmerar
04-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi & Welcome

I am wanting a sharpy eventually so I would love to hear your stories.

Found this online. Can't believe how high it is. I borrowed the book from some one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250105333711&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1

Met Mike last year and he couldn't believe how high they're going for. He said some of his beliefs have changed a little. He gave a lecture at our winter meet and talked about wild hacking coops. Said it was great for the bird falconer relationship and would recommend wild hack on all imprint coops.

Again , welcome to the forum. There is a lot of knowledge here and nice people.

Shortwingn
04-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi CarlosR,
The only places i have seen TIA has been ebay and the Raptors Nest. You can find most of the meat of the book online tho.

RTJim
04-21-2007, 09:29 PM
HI & Greetings

WHo are you getting the FGos from? I raised one last year [smilie=BangHead.gif] and I started @15 days old [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] ...on the Finnish birds I would highly recomend chamber raised. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] I will never [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif] start one under 21+ days ...... [smilie=icon_pray.gif] .....jm

carlosR
04-22-2007, 12:56 PM
That grabbed my attention quick! Why not a younger bird? I can think of some reasons related to intensity of care and potential screaming problems...anything I need to know? I am planning to really socialize the bird with pets, machines, people and travel right from the start. I have a large flight mews so I will not tether him much. For hack we can hang out on the deck and let him fly around and go for walks in the woods calling him down for food. What a dreamer eh?! Well it's Sunday a.m.