PDA

View Full Version : A friends greyhound

Saluqi
02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I took this shot a couple weeks ago, kind of cool.

raptrlvr
02-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Paul did the greyhound catch the jack?

Chris L.
02-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Paul,
great shot man! I love the glowing ears!!

rrcoati
02-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I had a pair of greyhounds as before getting my falconry permit. It was the closet thing I could be to falconry without the permits.

I raised them both as pups and when they were 2 I took them out for jacks. It was the coolest thing because they had no idea what they were doing until their first jack popped up in-front of them they chased and caught it. After that the game was on every time I took them to a field, they were on the hunt.

Best time was when we took them to Colusa, a small town in rice country Ca. The jacks hid in the birms of the rice fields. My female ran down and snapped a jack like it was candy it was an owesome sight. Do miss my hounds. Hope to take my PFRT there some time.

Saluqi
02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Paul did the greyhound catch the jack?

Sure didn't. We had 10-12 hounds in the field that day and chased 5 or 6 jacks with zero kills. We were hunting an area where heavy sage was within a 1/2 mile and once the jacks made the sage they were safe.

Saluqi
02-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Paul,
great shot man! I love the glowing ears!!

Thanks, that was best pic I took all day. I really need a longer lens for coursing & falconry shots.

BestBeagler
02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Paul,
Are the hounds more lethal then a goshawk? Just curious. Isaac

Jay
02-11-2009, 06:02 PM
What are the laws around coursing?

Saluqi
02-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Paul,
Are the hounds more lethal then a goshawk? Just curious. Isaac

No way, the goshawk has a much higher percentage than the dogs. Most falconers never get to see the speed and high speed maneuvers that a jack rabbit is capable of, the rabbits don't really take a goshawk seriously, or a Harris, or a RT. When a sighthound is on their butt, then jacks kick it into overdrive.

Saluqi
02-11-2009, 06:16 PM
What are the laws around coursing?

Depends on the state, it's legal here in NM and many other western states.

sevristh
02-11-2009, 07:30 PM
I would LOVE to see my whippet on some of those things! Unfortunately, the only thing she ever sees around here is the occasional squirrel in the yard.

One thing I have noticed with her though, is she has a habit of ripping herself open on sharp protruding things like sticks, re-bar etc. She's has stitches three times from such instances. I guess when they get going really fast, it's hard to make those abrupt turns, but then, she hasn't done it in a couple years now, so maybe she just needed to develop her braking technique :)

Her skin does seem to be pretty thin though, compared to other breeds. Is it the same way with the greyhounds and saluqi's Paul? And do you ever have problems with that from the sharp plants in the desert there?

dirtwinger
02-11-2009, 09:34 PM
http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss99/dirtwinger/feb8hawking011.jpg

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss99/dirtwinger/feb8hawking029.jpg

These pics were taken at the smae place a week later

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss99/dirtwinger/cog31stjan5.jpg
This pic was taken the same day paul was coursing about a mile from them.

atb Terence

Saluqi
02-11-2009, 09:46 PM
I would LOVE to see my whippet on some of those things! Unfortunately, the only thing she ever sees around here is the occasional squirrel in the yard.

One thing I have noticed with her though, is she has a habit of ripping herself open on sharp protruding things like sticks, re-bar etc. She's has stitches three times from such instances. I guess when they get going really fast, it's hard to make those abrupt turns, but then, she hasn't done it in a couple years now, so maybe she just needed to develop her braking technique :)

Her skin does seem to be pretty thin though, compared to other breeds. Is it the same way with the greyhounds and saluqi's Paul? And do you ever have problems with that from the sharp plants in the desert there?

Hey Dave,

Oh yeah, the dogs get ripped up, anything with greyhound blood in it is really doomed to be torn to shreds by barbed wire and their feet get messed up too. Salukis are much tougher and smarter and generally don't sustain the injuries that greyhounds and GH crosses get.

Here's pic of my longdog (3/8 GH) after a really bad encounter with a barbed wire fence:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/Gos_Frieda/IMG_0043.jpg

dirtwinger
02-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey Paul, Frankenhound or what. It looks like you are building a dog from spare parts there.

atb Terence

BestBeagler
02-12-2009, 02:34 PM
No way, the goshawk has a much higher percentage than the dogs. Most falconers never get to see the speed and high speed maneuvers that a jack rabbit is capable of, the rabbits don't really take a goshawk seriously, or a Harris, or a RT. When a sighthound is on their butt, then jacks kick it into overdrive.

Cool. Isaac