PDA

View Full Version : Falcon imprinting

murraym
02-21-2009, 11:24 AM
There are alot of threads on imprinting Accipiters but does any one have any info on imprinting/tame hacking falcons. I don't know any thing so what ever you have will help in my decision. Also any good reads about it?

Saluqi
02-21-2009, 11:55 AM
I think Bruce Haak covers it in his book.

awahl
02-22-2009, 09:51 AM

I have had good luck following his easy to understand writing also.

wesleyc6
02-22-2009, 10:35 AM
I have had good luck following his easy to understand writing also.

I agree. I have imprinted 2 falcons with his methods. Both turned out fantastic. Falcons are a lot easier IMHO to imprint correctly than accipiters are.

I imprinted a falcon one year. Stone silent. Had not killed anything yet other than a few pigeons/quail. I did jump ups one session and the falcon started to scream. I stopped that immediately and within a week he was silent again and back to his normal self. This was a completely unmade bird and the behavior reverted back to acceptable.

I imprinted an accipter and killed over a 100 head of car/field game and after 2 weeks of sitting a chamber he was completely DIFFERENT as a bird. I just think they are harder to do well and maintain than a falcon. I considered my bird made and solid and it turned around so fast I was blown away. Just offering up some comparison for you as to level of difficulty.

murraym
02-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys. I will read his book again. I got my Peregrine permit in the mail this weekend. I Have not decided if I will take one or not. Then I got to decide If I want to take one at 18 days old or try to trap one in August.

murraym
02-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Is the Haak book you are refering to "The Hunting Falcon". I lent my copy out I guess cause I can't find it.

Saluqi
02-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Yup, that's the book.

robayrshire
06-15-2009, 06:51 PM
I dont have that book, would someone be so kind as to explain the method on here?

Cheers
Rob

rocgwp
06-15-2009, 10:38 PM
I will have a thread going soon for the bird I pick up on Thursday. It is a tiercel saker x merlin that will be imprinted and tame hacked. :D

Should be another adventure...

michaelberan
06-16-2009, 12:28 AM

I'm following this book currently with my first falcon and first imprint, so far it seems to be working for me very well.

borderhawk
06-16-2009, 01:03 AM
I dont have that book, would someone be so kind as to explain the method on here?

Cheers
Rob

I've read both The Hunting Falcon and Imprint Accipiter II in preparation for my kestrel and I would say the biggest differences I noticed were: 1) more emphasis on the lure for falcons, 2) it is acceptable to carry eyas falcons whereas McDermitt forbids it with accips, and 3) with falcons you don't start dropping any weight at all until after hardpenning or tame hack, until then it's less of a "recipe" and more a customized routine based on the birds "natural" inclinations".

FredFogg
06-16-2009, 08:11 PM
3) with falcons you don't start dropping any weight at all until after hardpenning or tame hack, until then it's less of a "recipe" and more a customized routine based on the birds "natural" inclinations".

I think this is one of the problems with The Recipe. I think you shouldn't start dropping weight until after hard penning with an accipiter too! But what do I know, mine was a crazy mad killing machine! LOL