PDA

View Full Version : Screaming question

Falcon Boy
05-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Ok so this was Goose after he ate today, it went on for about 5-10minutes probably on and off. Woudl this be considered screaming or is he just goofing off? Sometimes he does it just sitting and screaming, sometimes he is up walking around and flapping.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/apprenticefalconry2/th_day24screamingafterfeeding.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/apprenticefalconry2/?action=view&current=day24screamingafterfeeding.flv)

thanks

everetkhorton
05-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Noah: Does she do this when you are out of the room?

Falcon Boy
05-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Sometimes, but it is not very often that i am out of the room, so i can't really give you a straight answer on that one. I think he was just romping around and entertaining himself. He has been quiet since this morning [smilie=dontknow.gif]

outhawkn
05-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Sorry, looks like screaming to me.

Falcon Boy
05-22-2007, 04:07 PM
[smilie=BangHead.gif]

Any idea why it's just for the first few hours of everyday?

outhawkn
05-22-2007, 05:20 PM
[smilie=BangHead.gif]

Any idea why it's just for the first few hours of everyday?

I have my own theory. Could be and probably am wrong. But here goes.
What are you feeding him as his last meal of the day? I know everyone has their idea of a nutritious meal, but I believe in coturnix quail. I feed DOC's as a supplemnt and to add variety. I dont feed rats and mice to big falcons. I have my best luck with quail. Having said that I am wondering if he isnt getting hungry during the night. When morning comes his belly is saying feed me. So you feed him but it takes awhile for the food to move from the crop to his stomach. That is why I always keep food in the nest with my imprints so if they get hungry during the night they can feed. A lot of un-eaten food I know but I dont consider it a waist. If it prevents hunger and screaming I'm all for it. Actually they have fresh food available 24 hours a day.
But... imprints that I have had always are up early and if fed they like to play in their nest especially early morning. Do you have plenty of play toys? Tennis balls,cat toys that roll easliy, plus the hood are a good thing. They get bored easily ESPECIALLY anything with Gyr in it. Gyrs are the most intelligent of all falcons. I think you mentioned you were using a nest inside the tank, but discarded it? I always use a nest. Here is why. In the wild eyas's soon learn to waddle over to the edge of the nest. They back up and let her rip. This keeps their nest clean, or as clean as it needs to be. Imprints will do the same it just takes them awhile to learn. But once they get it figured out the food you leave with them over night doesnt get icky. Now you know you dont have a hungry (screaming) bird.

I dont use a tank like your using. I know a lot of people do. I cant see in except to see a fuzzy little bundle of something. I cant make out any details. If i cant see in I figure the bird cant see out. We must look like a fuzzy bundle of something to them. Then you walk over to the tank, and reach in and the bird goes OH JOY(scream) its daddy. I think its better for them to be able to see out clearly so they know what I look like as well as their surrondings.
I dont Noah, I'm probably all wrong but thats the way I see it.
Good Luck,
Bill

PS I suck at communication. If this isnt clear let me know and I'll try again. [smilie=dontknow.gif]

Jimmy
05-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Very well said, Bill.

everetkhorton
05-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Bill: Lots of good points that make since.

outhawkn
05-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Jimmy and Ev,
Thanks guy's. But did I miss anything you can think of?

wesleyc6
05-22-2007, 07:32 PM
I would say that if you raise in a tank, that tank is only to hold them when you need them to stay put. I kept my falcon right under me almost all the time. I was looking down into the tank a lot. I also got my imprint out a lot too. If he is in that awkward stage, I would cup him up and get him on my lap quickly w/o letting the legs flail. I let him romp quite a bit on the floor. I took him out every day and let him play in the yard. Once he got where he could flop up and out of the tank, then I went to a swimming pool in the middle of the living room and once that was outgrown, I went to a play pen. Once that was outgrown, he got his very own block perch. smile. I gave mine a lot of touch stimulus. I just think of them a lot like a puppy. Lots of touching and socialization. Lots of time outside too. They need sunlight, or so they say. smile

I too kept food in there all the time.

outhawkn
05-22-2007, 07:36 PM
I would say that if you raise in a tank, that tank is only to hold them when you need them to stay put. I kept my falcon right under me almost all the time. I was looking down into the tank a lot. I also got my imprint out a lot too. If he is in that awkward stage, I would cup him up and get him on my lap quickly w/o letting the legs flail. I let him romp quite a bit on the floor. I took him out every day and let him play in the yard. Once he got where he could flop up and out of the tank, then I went to a swimming pool in the middle of the living room and once that was outgrown, I went to a play pen. Once that was outgrown, he got his very own block perch. smile. I gave mine a lot of touch stimulus. I just think of them a lot like a puppy. Lots of touching and socialization. Lots of time outside too. They need sunlight, or so they say. smile

I too kept food in there all the time.

You Sir, are a wise man! [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

Jimmy
05-22-2007, 08:35 PM
I did the swimming pool thing as well.

wesleyc6
05-22-2007, 09:02 PM
cheapest thing out there with that kind of surface area and a nice lip and it is light.

Jimmy
05-22-2007, 09:15 PM
For about $10 or so, you can't beat them. They contain the bird and it's stuff, gives the bird plenty of room to play and move around, etc. Plus, they can see out of it, and see everything that's going on around them. When they get a little too mobile, put a perch in the middle of it and start tying them down.

Falcon Boy
05-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Bill- I had a tennis ball in there for a while while he was less mobile but he never played with it. Now that he's bigger i will put it in again tomarrow and see what happens. The tank is completely see through, my camera was a bit away and doesn't do great video. I kept it about 4ft back and tried to zoom it a little so that you could see his behavior without being distracted by me. The swimming pool is a good idea, i'll have to try that once he is a bit more mobile. His wings almost touch the sides now when he spreads them skinny wise so its almost time for a bigger enclosure anyways.

Food overnight is a good idea. I will try that tomarrow after i see how he does with the nest box. The weird thing is in the morning he doesnt make noise really until after he eats, i think it is like you said the food hasnt hit the stomach yet. BTW my quail are due to arrive tomarrow/thursday.

I disregarded the nest box becuase he kept pooping in it then belly flopping in it. Now everytime i put him in the nest box he jumps out quite often so i just left it out. I will reintroduce it tomarrow and see what happens. I have a feeling he will keep pooping in it but who knows? [smilie=dontknow.gif]

Wes- His tank most of the time is within 2ft of my feet if not closer. The only time i have been backing off is when i see him eating, and this has pretty much stopped pre-feeding screaming [at least im assuming thats what made it stop]. At this point he still doesn't walk around much. The only time he really does is after feeding. Other than that he pretty much just sits or sleeps.

I have been taking him outdoors for an hour or two each day or taking him to a store to see lots of people. While outdoors he just sits and watches the world go by. Today he watched a train go by 30yrds away and didnt even look twice. Gotta love the imprints in that respect.

I have been keeping food in pretty much 24/7 for the past 2-4 days [dont remember when i started, itsin the log though]

I havnt been touching him as much recently b/c he really hates being held, even with his legs fully supported. He screams the whole time so i only do it when i clean his tank, and all i do is move him from the tank to the nest. Touching he doesnt mind much [if he makes any noise he stops within 20-30sec].

Thanks everyone for your time, its greatly appreciated!

outhawkn
05-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Noah

Its hard to give advise on a problem when you cant actually see the problem first hand. So just remember that. But we all are trying.
Good Luck
Bill

Falcon Boy
05-23-2007, 07:11 AM
I know and it's much appreciated [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

everetkhorton
05-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Noah: Think of how the parents do there job. Put yourself in there place. Example, my nest would be no taller than 8 inches it would be just low enough for me to look in. Add new material every day and remove a few stick daily like mom and dad. Use as much natural light a possable. This is JMO.

Falcon Boy
05-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Ev- That is a good way of thinking about it. His nest box is low, maybe 2-3 inches tall, but then the bin he is in is larger. There isnt really anything to remove/add becuase its just astroturf.

Billl- You were right about the nest box! It probably helps that he's a fair bit bigger now, but he didn't poop in his nest bowl last night. I will leave food in there overnight from now on and see what happens.

This morning though he wasn't screaming about food when i woke up [smilie=dontknow.gif] I gave him food [discretely of course] and he just looked at it and kept screaming. Must be the boredom coming into play. I gave him a round piece of wood to play with that will roll around his nest as well as an old arab hood. Once he had the hood he quieted down and got to work biting/footing it then sleeping on top of it. I also placed him in the kitchen as my brothers were gettting ready for school. I guess the early morning boredom is what i need to avoid at this point, as most the rest of the day he is silent.

everetkhorton
05-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Noah: Are you alway above her. Why not at least eye level. She has to slice some place, she can not slice over the side like they do in the wild.
If you send me your e-mail address I can send some picture. I do not know how to put them on this site. I will send a picture of a barrel perch but you could have just cut it down.

Falcon Boy
05-23-2007, 01:40 PM
PM'd it to you

He cannot stand well enough to sit on a perch though yet, but point made

Oh yea, and my quail just arrived [smilie=banana.gif]

`Chris L.
05-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Oh yea, and my quail just arrived [smilie=banana.gif]

I am needing some quail myself.. who did you buys yours from.. how are they packaged.. are they nice sized quail?

everetkhorton
05-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Noah: Sorry, I did not explain myself well enough. Cut the barrel perch down so it is just the bottom of the perch. It is round like a dish pan. You can make the nest any hight you want on the sides. She will use it like a nest. She will not sit on it like a perch we all think of. I sent you the picture.

Falcon Boy
05-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I got the pictures and can post or forward them if anyone wants them, just let me know. Thanks for the pics Ev, much appreciated!

Chris- I bought them from a kid on my site, but i bought all the ones he had that were big enough to use as food and aren't current breeders.

`Chris L.
05-23-2007, 06:05 PM
I got the pictures and can post or forward them if anyone wants them, just let me know. Thanks for the pics Ev, much appreciated!

Chris- I bought them from a kid on my site, but i bought all the ones he had that were big enough to use as food and aren't current breeders.

[smilie=icon_thumright.gif] ...

everetkhorton
05-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Noah: Why not post the picture, maybe some one else may want to see if they can use the idea for a nesting platform.
[smilie=dontknow.gif]

Falcon Boy
05-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Here are the pictures. Mainly that was a stall tactic so i could have an excuse to feed the bird quick [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Chris- I will ask my friend to let me know when he has more and if he wants to sell them.If he does i'll hook you up.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/apprenticefalconry2/Evpictures022.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/apprenticefalconry2/Evpictures021.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/apprenticefalconry2/Evpictures020.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/apprenticefalconry2/Evpictures019.jpg

`Chris L.
05-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Noah thanks man.. I appreciate it

everetkhorton
05-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Noah: I see you posted the pictures. There would be no carpet around the out side if used for a nest and the barrel would not be so tall. In most cases the pipe from the disk would be taller. I need to put new astro turf around the top before I start useing this to perch my Rt. outside.

Jack
05-23-2007, 11:47 PM
You probably won't take this serious. Most people don't. But what I am reading tells me that you do not keep food available all the time. I just got done raising an imprint and I know that they do not ever eat a half a crop if food is available 24/7. The reason the bird is screaming, and he is screaming, is simply because he is feeling hunger. That makes them scream. If food is left available to them all the time, they graze all day and do not eat in the morning until as late as 10 in the morning. They have food in the gut all the time and just don't suffer hunger. If you feed them meals, they get hungry and will start screaming. Even after they have eaten half a crop they still feel hungry for a half hour or more until the food gets into the gut.
I think I would take him out of that tub too. I would put him out on the floor and let him have the run of at lease a room. NEVER place a falcon on a smooth floor either or it will dislocate it's hips. If you just chop up the meat into little tiny tidbits so he won't choke on them he can feed himself. And I would not worry about letting him feed on a whole carcus until he is starting to feather out and can run like a chicken.
If you can not be home to keep the food dish full all the time, make some sort of arrangments or take him to work with you, but keep the food dish full. If he develops into a screamer you will hate it. A real screamer will scream for the sake of screaming. Almost like having Tourettes Syndrome or something. A knee jerk reaction is to scream. Day and night, scream.

Jack

outhawkn
05-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Jack, Good post. I agree

Falcon Boy
05-24-2007, 10:02 AM
You probably won't take this serious. Most people don't. But what I am reading tells me that you do not keep food available all the time. I just got done raising an imprint and I know that they do not ever eat a half a crop if food is available 24/7. The reason the bird is screaming, and he is screaming, is simply because he is feeling hunger. That makes them scream. If food is left available to them all the time, they graze all day and do not eat in the morning until as late as 10 in the morning. They have food in the gut all the time and just don't suffer hunger. If you feed them meals, they get hungry and will start screaming. Even after they have eaten half a crop they still feel hungry for a half hour or more until the food gets into the gut.
I think I would take him out of that tub too. I would put him out on the floor and let him have the run of at lease a room. NEVER place a falcon on a smooth floor either or it will dislocate it's hips. If you just chop up the meat into little tiny tidbits so he won't choke on them he can feed himself. And I would not worry about letting him feed on a whole carcus until he is starting to feather out and can run like a chicken.
If you can not be home to keep the food dish full all the time, make some sort of arrangments or take him to work with you, but keep the food dish full. If he develops into a screamer you will hate it. A real screamer will scream for the sake of screaming. Almost like having Tourettes Syndrome or something. A knee jerk reaction is to scream. Day and night, scream.

Jack

Jack,
Thanks for the post. I have been having food availible 24/7 for a few days now, i dont remember how many. You're right about the grazing thing, although sometimes he does crop up it's not nearly as often as before. I learned my lesson with the "meal times" which was suggested by a few folks, and since screaming has greatly diminished. Screaming has even diminished since the start of this thread thankfully [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Thanks again everyone for all the help. Things seem to be going pretty well at this point! Mornings are not as bad anymore either. This morning the power burped overnight and my alarm didn't go off, i woke up at 930 to a hungry bird [but not screaming]. Once he saw i was awake he screamed for a few minutes while he jumped about and flapped, then he was quiet. So it appears that even when hungry he doesnt scream as much as he was... [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]