PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, I am new:)

Carly
06-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi everyone..

A friend told me to join this site, saying that it was alot more "on topic" then the IFF and theres alot more proper advice here etc...

the IFF is great but this looks just as great, since i am from ontario:)

my name is carly, I just turned 15, I currently fly a female harris hawk, and a female kestrel, I am flying my harris throughout the summer and moulting her through the winter, and my kestrel i am flying in late summer, early fall.
my harris is about a year old, and my kessie is turning 4 soon, shes mostly a lure bird, but i plan and getting her on some starling this year, she was my first bird and i have learn't loads from her. shes a darling.

I also ride horses competitivly(western gaming) and train them part time, along with some lessons, i am very busy but its all worth it as i take great enjoyment from it :D
I personaly have 3 horses,one pure bred arabian, one quarab, and one a registered quarter horse, all together we have 8 horses at the farm.

My harris flys at 930g, to 950, depending on her fitness, as for my kessie she flys at 98g-103g also depending.

I am planning on going to school to become a vet... then specailizing in avian medicene, although my mother would prefere me to take it in equine medicene.LOL.

anyways, I hope you know a little bit about me now,

best of regards,
-Carly

borderhawk
06-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Holy Crap! You're a busy 15 year old! Welcome to the board, and please share your stories, we love stories here... :D

Carly
06-03-2009, 07:33 PM
LOL, thank you.

Better busy then bored, it really gets me mad when you see a teen wanting to get into falconry and people bashing them(not on this site) saying there too young... its not impossible, its just takes a little bit of getting off you butt and involving yourself.

its all worth it in the end:)

hawkstir
06-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Welcome.
It's always good to hear from a member of your generation that is doing something other than gaming.

borderhawk
06-03-2009, 07:39 PM
its not impossible, its just takes a little bit of getting off you butt and involving yourself.

That's just it, is those of us that have been a round a while have seen alot of teens wanting to get into falconry that WON'T get off their butt. We start out helping them and it turns out they want every thing handed to them and all the answers given to them without having to do any of the work. But, that said, we've also seen some really great young enthusiasts with tons of potential that go on to impress everyone!

Carly
06-03-2009, 07:45 PM
thank you much hawkstir:)

I agree borderhawk... As for me i had to basicly learn everything myself, i have also seen alot of threads on other sites, when kids want to get into it but dont even know the difference between a kestral and a red tailcrazyy

lol just like the other day i had a falconer from the UK on my MSN ask me if i trapped my harris.... i live in the northern part of canada and the person was aware of that. lol some people...

But yeah overall this site seems very friendly and supportive:D

everetkhorton
06-03-2009, 07:51 PM
(welc) Carly! What type of game are you flying your HH at. If you want to save some time. You can have your signuture add to your post auto. by using the User CP. Nice to see you useing your first name thumbsupp. Do you do any hunting off horse back?

Carly
06-03-2009, 07:58 PM
(welc) Carly! What type of game are you flying your HH at. If you want to save some time. You can have your signuture add to your post auto. by using the User CP. Nice to see you useing your first name thumbsupp. Do you do any hunting off horse back?

Thank you everetkhorton:)

Right now i am flying her ambush style at ducks, crows, and seagulls(rabbits soon as she fallows on). i have had some really nice chases on ducks, but the seagulls are not flocking in the feilds quite yet. I acually just got the harris about a month ago.

I have not done any hunting off horse back yet On my days i am not flying her i take her out to try and get my trail horse used to her, hes a big scaredy cat LOL, so it will take some time,

some things about her... she has this weird obsession with running water, but i supposed my harris's do. and shes terrified of the ceilingg fans in the house.

raptrlvr
06-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Carly, the ceiling fans are a big flying predator to the HH. I just got an eyas gos that is about 24 days old and it did not like the ceiling fan going around. Its OK with it now after a couple of minutes.

Carly
06-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Carly, the ceiling fans are a big flying predator to the HH. I just got an eyas gos that is about 24 days old and it did not like the ceiling fan going around. Its OK with it now after a couple of minutes.

yeah thats what i figured, shes okay when its off,:D

hawking
06-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Hey Carly welcome to the bunch.(welc)

SoutheastHawker
06-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Carly! :D

It's Bridget! Have a great time here at NAFEX! :)

Carly
06-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks Hawking ;)

Hey bridget!! thanks, and i sure will :D

Roper
06-04-2009, 10:06 AM
welcome
i understand why your mom wants you to do equine,, who wouldnt want free vet work when its in the family..
you will also find a larger clientel with the equine than the avain.
but you have plenty of time to deside that at least another 10 years of schooling you will change your mind 50 times ..
with the risk of being blunt here ,, i would suggest taking Ev's advice.
welcome

Carly
06-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks roper...:)

Yeah i agree with the equine suggestions, and I am sure I may or may not change my mind, I am yet young:)
What advise were you talking about? I am a tad confused.

MadAustringer
06-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks roper...:)

Yeah i agree with the equine suggestions, and I am sure I may or may not change my mind, I am yet young:)
What advise were you talking about? I am a tad confused.

Welcome to the forum Carly! (welc) I am glad to see a youngster on here flying. Good stuff. I was younger than you when I was flying imprint coops at game, and when I was your age people were telling me I was too young to fly birds successfully! LOL We proved them all wrong, huh :D

The advice everyone is talking about is putting your name into you signature so that you are "signing" every post with your first name. The idea behind the practice is that way we are all on a friendly first name basis here. But if you do not start signing your name on the bottom of your posts soon, then normally nice people around here will start getting all kinds of bent out of shape. People will be at their computers like this frusfrusfrus so take pity on them and just put your first name in the signature for heavens sake already... Otherwise there is just no telling what extreme and dangerous lengths the Signature Nazis will go to in order to force compliance! In the end we all must give in and conform and obey....so do not attempt to resist.

You might want to talk to Dan Paradis by the way as he is familiar with hawking up there in the Land of Great Coldness, and he also hawks from horseback. I have done a little of that myself and if you are set up to do it then there is noting better in my opinion.

Welcome again,
and good hawking

borderhawk
06-04-2009, 06:34 PM
From what I understood if your name IS your login title (ie - if mine were Michelle not Borderhawk) like hers is than she doesn't have to do that....

Carly
06-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the forum Carly! (welc) I am glad to see a youngster on here flying. Good stuff. I was younger than you when I was flying imprint coops at game, and when I was your age people were telling me I was too young to fly birds successfully! LOL We proved them all wrong, huh :D

The advice everyone is talking about is putting your name into you signature so that you are "signing" every post with your first name. The idea behind the practice is that way we are all on a friendly first name basis here. But if you do not start signing your name on the bottom of your posts soon, then normally nice people around here will start getting all kinds of bent out of shape. People will be at their computers like this frusfrusfrus so take pity on them and just put your first name in the signature for heavens sake already... Otherwise there is just no telling what extreme and dangerous lengths the Signature Nazis will go to in order to force compliance! In the end we all must give in and conform and obey....so do not attempt to resist.

You might want to talk to Dan Paradis by the way as he is familiar with hawking up there in the Land of Great Coldness, and he also hawks from horseback. I have done a little of that myself and if you are set up to do it then there is noting better in my opinion.

Welcome again,
and good hawking

Aahahaha that made my day... okay i see what you mean know:) thanks for the welcome:D

yup me and Dan have already spoke, he lives about 10 hours away from me.

thunderheartiii
06-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Just wanted to say Hi and (welc)

Carly
06-04-2009, 08:41 PM
thanks alot thunderheart:)

Roper
06-04-2009, 09:17 PM
does to so theretoungeout

Roper
06-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I just couldnt resist sorry

Roper
06-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Ev's advise it is a mute point now.. your signing your post. silly

Carly
06-04-2009, 09:41 PM
okay?lol

hg750
06-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi and (welc), so how does your HH handle the cold weather?

Carly
06-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Hi,and thanks you.
Well I have no clue yet, I will not be flying her through the winter, I have her in an indoor mew, in my basement... I would rather an outdoor one but it is not worth the risk to me... we have so many weasels and fox's, plus we get some -40 with the windchill some times in winter.

atcfalconry
06-05-2009, 12:59 AM

Hey Jim my bird loves the Fan it has kind of figured out it keeps him cool and comfy. Bird naps very well under it.

Welcome aboard Carly great group of folks and more info than any book can supply

Carly
06-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Thanks Mike, there seems to be plenty of valuable information here:D i have read alot so far, seems like a great site!

borderhawk
06-05-2009, 01:22 AM
I will not be flying her through the winter, I have her in an indoor mew, in my basement... .

Just be careful, basements can be just as deadly with the mold and mildew, especially in those damper northern climates. They get an infection in their lungs that you may not notice until it's progressed so far that treatment is less effective.
Personally, I'm a big proponent of tethering in the livingroom around everyone, especially the first few months. It really helps develop the bond and you notice if anything isn't right alot sooner. If you look around the board you should find pictures of indoor tethering arrangements that catch any mess they could make.

MadAustringer
06-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi,and thanks you.
Well I have no clue yet, I will not be flying her through the winter, I have her in an indoor mew, in my basement... I would rather an outdoor one but it is not worth the risk to me... we have so many weasels and fox's, plus we get some -40 with the windchill some times in winter.

Hi Carly.

I am not too keen on the basement thing ether, but I get the idea with not flying her in the freeeeezing winter...I do not think I can accurately imagine -40 degree temps! I am one of those perch the bird in your living room even when they are molting kinda guys, so obviously that is where ill put my $0.02

Good to here that you are close to Dan, he seems like a way cool guy to have as a hawkin buddy/neighbor.

Good hawkin to ya

Great hawkin to ya

borderhawk
06-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Ofcourse, that said, my first sponsor in western Washington state kept a peregrine in his basement for over a year with no problems. It was a fairly new, very well kept house, the kind that makes you afraid to sit down you might get a spec of dirt on something....

Carly
06-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Ofcourse, that said, my first sponsor in western Washington state kept a peregrine in his basement for over a year with no problems. It was a fairly new, very well kept house, the kind that makes you afraid to sit down you might get a spec of dirt on something....

Thank you borderhawk, and mad austringer for your concernXD
I deffinetly see were you guys are comming from, there is a ventilation system and we are working on making it better,... I have rubber matting(removable) placed to catch the mutes, and i wash them with a bleach/water or virkon/water solution every saterday, the walls are smooth chip board(I think thats what you call it) I also wash those(while the bird is out on weathering) then i mop the bare floor(which is cement) air dry is for the day(wih the help of a fan) and place the mats back in. its working well, and theres not any odor.

she mostly uses the bathroom in one specific area anyways, it does not hit the walls, just a couple mats, so it makes the jobe easyer XD

MadAustringer
06-06-2009, 03:36 AM
Thank you borderhawk, and mad austringer for your concernXD
I deffinetly see were you guys are comming from, there is a ventilation system and we are working on making it better,... I have rubber matting(removable) placed to catch the mutes, and i wash them with a bleach/water or virkon/water solution every saterday, the walls are smooth chip board(I think thats what you call it) I also wash those(while the bird is out on weathering) then i mop the bare floor(which is cement) air dry is for the day(wih the help of a fan) and place the mats back in. its working well, and theres not any odor.

she mostly uses the bathroom in one specific area anyways, it does not hit the walls, just a couple mats, so it makes the jobe easyer XD

Right on. It sounds like you have it together for sure. Also, after I last posted I thought to myself that all basements are not created equally, and that yours is probably more like a room that happens to be below ground level, rather than a wet dungeon type basement like I initially imagined. When I picture a basement in my mind I always think first of the creepy and wet kind of basement, rather than the more "finished" game room sort.

And while we are talking about creepy mold, I once had a red tail perched next to a sink that was full of mold behind the cabinet underneath it for who knows how long before I found the mold. The only negative side effect was the ten years off of my life from panic when I made my discovery. The bird was fine. confusedd

Good hawking

borderhawk
06-06-2009, 10:29 AM
And while we are talking about creepy mold, I once had a red tail perched next to a sink that was full of mold behind the cabinet underneath it for who knows how long before I found the mold. The only negative side effect was the ten years off of my life from panic when I made my discovery. The bird was fine. confusedd

LOL! Who needs kids to worry about when you've got hawks?

Carly
06-06-2009, 07:25 PM
ahaha true:) very true