PDA

View Full Version : NC Peregrine Take!!!

jhausman
07-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Bob Pendergrass and I have been back and forth to Raleigh, NC to talk peregrine take with NCWRC so many times in the past several months I am considering new tires for my FJ. Seems our diligence has paid off. Yesterday, myself, Bob, Daren McGrew and Larry Dickerson sat in on the commisioners meeting and found that they supported take - I have been holing my breath to hear tnews of the official vote this morning.

As NC Falconers Guild Vice President and Easter Director of AFC I wanted to get this up on NAFEX asap. I just got off the phone with Bob Pendergrass (NCFG President) and I am pleased to announced that North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission voted unanimously today to allow Peregrine take on the coast of NC. There are a lot of details that I will be posting on this thread soon. This is just such good news that I wanted to get it out there. There will be two lotteries. One for two birds for NC Falconers only and one lottery for the remaining bird for NC and Non-Resident falconers. I will be posting all the stipulations on take as well as the scheduling for the lottery application asap. I have all the stipulations on take in my possession - the information on the lottery application process should be in my hands in the next week or so.

This honestly feels like some kind of dream.

Thanks to ALL who have helped to make this day a reality! Too many to count!

Jason

Takasho
07-08-2009, 11:58 AM
CONGRATS!!! Quite the accomplishment! rockon rockon rockon

laj
07-08-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't have plans for a peregrine anytime soon, but that is great news!
Thanks for all the hard work, Jason.clapp

bgibson
07-08-2009, 12:09 PM
i'm IN!!!!! just let me know when to send in the moolah!

Saluqi
07-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Congratulations!!! So who gets the credit? AFC or NAFA, both were present right?

ericedw
07-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Congratulations!!! So who gets the credit? AFC or NAFA, both were present right?

I suspect the NC falconers, good job guys, I know what a process that can be.

jhausman
07-08-2009, 12:51 PM

It is not my place to give credit. But I will say that this was due to the hard work of a very few NC Falconers. A mere handful of us made all the meetings and worked our tails off to make this happen. Did some of us consult reps from AFC and NAFA early on in the process? Yes.

But the truth is that we succeeded due to the wonderful relationship with have with NCWRC. This relationship is a direct result of the years of work that NCFG officers and members have put in to develop that relationship.

I am an NCFG Officer, an AFC Director and a NAFA member. So...I say this is a victory for falconry. Period. AFC, NAFA, Peregrine Fund, NCFG and more falconers than I could list have been working on this for decades. To give credit to one group or individual would be folly.

Jason

jhausman
07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I suspect the NC falconers, good job guys, I know what a process that can be.

Ha! Yes Eric... you posted as I was typing! You know more than most!

Saluqi
07-08-2009, 01:24 PM
It is not my place to give credit. But I will say that this was due to the hard work of a very few NC Falconers. A mere handful of us made all the meetings and worked our tails off to make this happen. Did some of us consult reps from AFC and NAFA early on in the process? Yes.

But the truth is that we succeeded due to the wonderful relationship with have with NCWRC. This relationship is a direct result of the years of work that NCFG officers and members have put in to develop that relationship.

I am an NCFG Officer, an AFC Director and a NAFA member. So...I say this is a victory for falconry. Period. AFC, NAFA, Peregrine Fund, NCFG and more falconers than I could list have been working on this for decades. To give credit to one group or individual would be folly.

Jason

Sorry Jason, I was throwing stones. I get so tired of this group or that group spouting off their accomplishments when we're all working for a common goal.

I'm envious of you guys with a passage take, and as one who has exercised their right to eyas peregrine let me tell you there have been few things as exciting as taking a peregrine from the wild.

jhausman
07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Sorry Jason, I was throwing stones. I get so tired of this group or that group spouting off their accomplishments when we're all working for a common goal.

I'm envious of you guys with a passage take, and as one who has exercised their right to eyas peregrine let me tell you there have been few things as exciting as taking a peregrine from the wild.

All good brother! ;)

raptrlvr
07-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Paul, I agree with the excitement of taking an eyas peregrine from the wild. I only had my female for about 4 months before losing her when I had the heart attack, but, what a thrill it was from the moment I got the permit to take one.

FredFogg
07-08-2009, 07:18 PM
i'm IN!!!!! just let me know when to send in the moolah!

Ok Ben, when we go trapping for "OUR" peregrines, do you want a falcon or a tiercel? LOL :D Can't wait to get the information on the lottery process! Definately a historic day for all falconers and especially, NC falconers! I have no idea if I will do one justice, but I sure will give it my all if I am one of the 3.

hawkerev
07-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all the hard work, very well done! clapp

Bryant Tarr
07-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Hey, I did the first peregrine release in NC at Grandfather Mountain in 1984...do I get the honorary first permit to trap one? :) Seems only fair. :D

Lee Slikkers
07-09-2009, 08:28 AM
very cool stuff, congrats NC falconers and excellent work Jason / crew involved.

FredFogg
07-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Hey, I did the first peregrine release in NC at Grandfather Mountain in 1984...do I get the honorary first permit to trap one? :) Seems only fair. :D

How about if we let you be the first non-resident to enter the lottery, that sounds fair! LOL toungeout :D

NCFalconer
07-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Doggone it, Jason! I TOLD ya not to let Fred know about this opportunity!! It's gonna be crowded with all sorts of riffraff down there on the Coast in Sept.

;)

Ok Ben, when we go trapping for "OUR" peregrines, do you want a falcon or a tiercel? LOL :D Can't wait to get the information on the lottery process! Definately a historic day for all falconers and especially, NC falconers! I have no idea if I will do one justice, but I sure will give it my all if I am one of the 3.

bgibson
07-09-2009, 10:12 AM

i want a female!!!! i have a small duck and dove killer...i need a mallard buster!

bgibson
07-09-2009, 10:16 AM
i'm just wondering where i'm gonna come up with the 5 bucks:D

jhausman
07-09-2009, 10:40 AM
i'm just wondering where i'm gonna come up with the 5 bucks:D

I'll spot you brother!

jhausman
07-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Doggone it, Jason! I TOLD ya not to let Fred know about this opportunity!! It's gonna be crowded with all sorts of riffraff down there on the Coast in Sept.

;)

Sorry D, I blew it.

jhausman
07-09-2009, 10:45 AM
some particulars are as follows:

- only juvenile birds may be taken (of course)
- banded birds must be released immediately onsite
-2 of the 3 permits reserved for NC residents, 3rd open to ALL falconers in US, particpants to be determined by lottery
-all other falconry permits and licenses must be current
-birds must be taken east of HWY 17
-trapping must occur between Sept 20th and Oct 20th
- a post activity survey must be completed and retruned to NCWRC
- a feather sample must be collected and sent to NCWRC for potential natal analysis for scientific study

Dirthawking
07-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Jason, just out of curiousity. Do you have any specifics on the feather sample. What feathers are they looking for?

jhausman
07-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Jason, just out of curiousity. Do you have any specifics on the feather sample. What feathers are they looking for?

You know, I am not totally sure. Although, I believe when they are looking for samples like this they only need a small feather... say from the back.

ericedw
07-09-2009, 11:08 AM

Mario,
This is a USFWS requirement.

"

We will require
collection of two breast feathers from all peregrines harvested during the first three
years after implementation of the proposed action. At the end of three years, the
feathers will be assessed using accepted techniques for stable isotope or DNA analysis
to determine if the predicted latitudinal derivation of the harvest is being achieved,
within reasonable limits given expected levels of measurement and sampling error.
Should sufficient feathers be collected, these analyses may be used to test the origins
of birds harvested under any alternative that allows take of migrant first-year birds."

Dirthawking
07-09-2009, 11:08 AM
You know, I am not totally sure. Although, I believe when they are looking for samples like this they only need a small feather... say from the back.

Just hope they don't ask for a deck/train or a primary!

bgibson
07-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I'll spot you brother!

THANKS PAL!

bgibson
07-09-2009, 02:47 PM
i say the 2 lucky ducks and non-resident lucky duck (if feasible) go to the coast together and "GET THEM BIRDS!" like the 3 muskateers..... we don't leave until everyone has their prize! PLUS a merlin or two:D

Lee Slikkers
07-09-2009, 03:32 PM
sign me up for a Merlin Ben...and someone ought to do a story/photo op of the whole experience and have the article submitted to the American Falconry Mag and the AFC publication...in addition to the "free Merlin" I've volunteer to do the pictoral and essay for the event. Just some food for though...

Chris L.
07-09-2009, 03:55 PM
i say the 2 lucky ducks and non-resident lucky duck (if feasible) go to the coast together and "GET THEM BIRDS!" like the 3 muskateers..... we don't leave until everyone has their prize! PLUS a merlin or two:D

I will be there to film the entire thing, Lee grab your camera as well !!! I will bring the cold beer too

Lee Slikkers
07-09-2009, 03:57 PM
I will be there to film the entire thing!!! I will bring the cold beer as well

Damn, guess that trumps my offer...

Chris L.
07-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Damn, guess that trumps my offer...

No way man, you bring MORE beer.. never enough!!

Lee Slikkers
07-09-2009, 03:59 PM
No way man, you bring MORE beer.. never enough!!

SOLD, when are the dates??? :D

FredFogg
07-09-2009, 07:50 PM

;)

Hey Daren, shhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I already know where to go! LOL We had 3 hit our nets when we were there trapping a merlin in 2006. toungeout :D

Mitchellbrad
07-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Hey Daren, shhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I already know where to go!

I bet I know where your going Fred<G>

Migisi
07-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Congratulations to NC! Big attaboys out to the "handful" of NC Falconers who worked their tails off for the benefit of all.

FredFogg
07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Congratulations to NC! Big attaboys out to the "handful" of NC Falconers who worked their tails off for the benefit of all.

Berni, I am going to be honest here, as much as all of us falconers of NC would like to claim we had a big part in getting this done, it really was a select few that did most of the work. I don't know exactly who all of them are, but I do know Jason was one of them. And the rest know who they are and I want to thank them all for all the hard work they did. The officers of the North Carolina Falconers Guild let all of us know when meetings were and what was going on and as much as I would have liked to attend all of those meetings, it seems every one fell on days I had to work or was out of town. But several falconers showed up at all of those meetings and it was their communication with our Wildlife Resources folks that got the job done. So to all of those that made this happen, if I win the lottery and trap a nice female passage peregrine, I promise to do my best to make all of you proud!

NCFalconer
07-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Fred,

That's cool. How many merlins did you see? Did your trapping partner keep a merlin and fly her for a season?

Hey Daren, shhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I already know where to go! LOL We had 3 hit our nets when we were there trapping a merlin in 2006. toungeout :D

FredFogg
07-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Fred,

That's cool. How many merlins did you see? Did your trapping partner keep a merlin and fly her for a season?

Daren, we actually caught more peregrines than we did merlins. But that was due to us not having the correct size nets. We probably saw about 10 merlins, but they flew through the nets and didn't get caught, except the last one. I was the only one to take one home. I learned a lot about trapping with a dho-gazza that weekend and will be for sure better prepared the next time. I just bought some thread and the Net Making Ket from Jann's and will be using the video's on here to guide me, so I will be making about 10 nets this summer. I will either get to use them on the coast of NC or in Kansas this fall, so either way, I hope to have a pointy winged bird in my mews this fall. :D

KidK
07-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Awesome news guys! I hope you fill all three permits!

I also hope that detailed logs will be kept by those who trap them. It is an opportunity to make a modern day version of the old classic writings about training and flying passage peregrines.

How COOL is THAT!

I hope that, in time, there will be more opportunities for everyone to trap and fly these awesome birds! But you guys are taking some great "first steps" to get us there!

jhausman
07-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks everyone! We are all very excited. The most important thing is TAKING all the birds! So many are applying to multiple states. Most of these permits are non-transferable and if someone wins multiples I pray for our sake that they trap and transfer! I am hearing directly from the Flyway Council that they are not interested in how many apply for a permit but how many of the 36 birds are actually taken. These are the numbers that will be looked at when we start pushing for higher birds allowed. I hope we don't screw ourselves by not taking all the available birds.

Again! Groundbreaking and historic stuff! Too cool!

FredFogg
07-12-2009, 12:40 AM
So many are applying to multiple states.

Jason, you say so many are applying to multiple states, what states currently have their lottery available for folks to apply? Or did you mean, you think many will apply to multiple states? Just curious!

jhausman
07-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Jason, you say so many are applying to multiple states, what states currently have their lottery available for folks to apply? Or did you mean, you think many will apply to multiple states? Just curious!

I have gotten word from people who have said they plan to apply to multiple states. I understand the desire to help ensure that they get a shot. But I fear that some people will not fill the take. We need to help everyone understand the importance of taking all 36 birds! Which will be a hard thing to do in some of the states!

- - Oh, and I have also heard falconers telling other falconers that "everyone needs to apply for a permit even if they don't want a bird" to show how much interest there is. This is the OPPOSITE of what we should be doing!

Jason

Bird_Dog
07-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I have gotten word from people who have said they plan to apply to multiple states. I understand the desire to help ensure that they get a shot. But I fear that some people will not fill the take. We need to help everyone understand the importance of taking all 36 birds! Which will be a hard thing to do in some of the states!

- - Oh, and I have also heard falconers telling other falconers that "everyone needs to apply for a permit even if they don't want a bird" to show how much interest there is. This is the OPPOSITE of what we should be doing!

Jason

This strategy occurred to me but it may backfire. The odds are low, but if a person is selected in two different states should that person trap two birds (i.e., on from each state)? I'd like to see/compare the applications forms from other states to the one from Texas. Also if another falconer without a passage peregrine permit wants to help or watch will that be a problem?

-- Scott

frootdog
07-15-2009, 03:19 AM

TX does and if I remember correctly you get notified that you are chosen and have x amout of time to get the money in or it goes to the next in line.

jhausman
07-21-2009, 09:31 AM
The Peregrine Falcon Permit Application is now available for sale to residents and nonresidents by telephone (1-888-248-6834) or mail-in application. Below is the link to the application which contains permit requirements and important deadline information.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg01_License/documents/PermitHunt/2009-10_Peregrine_Falcon_Permit_Appl.pdf

You can also get to this link from www.ncwildlife.org, click on the "Permit Hunt Opportunities" icon on the right, then scroll down to the "Peregrine Falcon-Migrant Permit Application" link.

Note that the deadline for applications is August 14. We then anticipate having the permit draw completed no later than August 20, one month before the season opens.

Chris L.
08-18-2009, 06:07 PM
The draw is nearing... Good luck gents!!!

frootdog
08-19-2009, 12:21 AM
The draw is nearing... Good luck gents!!!

When is the NC drawing out of curiousity?

FredFogg
08-19-2009, 12:30 AM
When is the NC drawing out of curiousity?

Jason says in the above post that is will be no later than August 20th, but if I am remembering correctly, it said on the application that winners will be notified by August 24th. So I am guessing sometime between now and then.

NCFalconer
08-20-2009, 08:12 PM
The winners' names were posted today. No one on this forum got lucky!

:(

NCFalconer
08-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Rumor has it that SC also has a lottery for passage take. Anybody know the details? Surely they offered reciprocal privileges to their friends in NC!
Time for our brethren in SC to 'fess up!
Chris?

frootdog
08-20-2009, 08:56 PM

posted where?

FredFogg
08-20-2009, 09:11 PM

Daren, just tried to call you, answer your phone! LOL :D

FredFogg
08-20-2009, 09:20 PM
I just got an email from our Guild president with the list of winners, I won't put them on here without their permission but I can annouce that 2 NC residents and 1 non-resident from PA will be trapping peregrines this fall. Congrats to the winners!

Now I can lock in on trapping my prairie in November on my trip to Kansas! Yeee Haaa! Can't wait!

Bird_Dog
08-20-2009, 10:07 PM
How many applicants in the drawing?

-- Scott

FredFogg
08-20-2009, 10:10 PM
How many applicants in the drawing?

-- Scott

12 NC, 13 non-residents, they chose the 2 NC falconers first and then put the other 10 NC falconers in with the 13 non-residents and then choose and a non-resident was picked.

NCFalconer
08-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Sorry I missed ya Fred. I hope all 3 of them are successful.

I'm sure the
12 NC, 13 non-residents, they chose the 2 NC falconers first and then put the other 10 NC falconers in with the 13 non-residents and then choose and a non-resident was picked.

NCFalconer
08-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Krys,

I'll send you a pm.

posted where?

frootdog
08-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Krys,

I'll send you a pm.

Thanks.

ericedw
08-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Rumor has it that SC also has a lottery for passage take. Anybody know the details? Surely they offered reciprocal privileges to their friends in NC!
Time for our brethren in SC to 'fess up!
Chris?

Sounds like SC is only allowing resident take.

"I just received a letter from DNR stating we (SC falconers) are allowed to trap two peregrines. If a master or general class falconer is interested in trapping a bird, they must complete a form and return it to DNR. The selection is then by random drawing. "

FredFogg
10-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Well, I am pleased to announce that 1 NC Falconer, Andrew Wyatt and 1 PA falconer, Elizabeth Schoultz have taken falcons on the NC coast. The other NC falconer had to leave due to a sickness in the family. Here is a photo of the 2 birds trapped, one much darker than the other.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/NCPeregrines.jpg

Congrats to Andrew and Elizabeth!

Lowachi
10-14-2009, 09:58 AM
sweet!!! Congrats to the happy falconers !!

everetkhorton
10-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Great News Fred, clapp Thinks for posting the pictures.

NCFalconer
10-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Very cool!

Fred, Thanks for posting the pix! When's Jim K going back out trapping?!

Congrats to Andrew and Elizabeth![/QUOTE]

FredFogg
10-14-2009, 10:36 PM
When's Jim K going back out trapping?!

I don't know Daren, I emailed Andrew and Doug and got the report and OK to post they were successful and Doug told me Jim had to go home and didn't know if he was coming back or not later on. I sure hope he does.

They both sure are beautiful birds!

Also, you should have gotten an email from Bob with a link to a photo gallery of the trapping.

Another thing, I believe I am correct in saying Andrews bird was 715 g and Elizabeths was 740 g. If anyone knows differently, please correct me.

jhausman
10-14-2009, 10:39 PM
This is good stuff. clapp