PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Pakistan

Turumti
07-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi Everybody,

I am Salman Ali - a falconer from Pakistan. I have been a falconer since the past twenty one years. I mostly fly passage goshawks, sakers, redheaded merlins and shaheens, and I have also flown shikras, sparrowhawks, luggers, a couple of gyr-saker hybrids, a pere-saker and a passage gyrkin (imported from Russia ages ago).

Apart from flying hawks and falcons, I also rehabilitate quite a few raptors every year, with help from some of my apprentices. Last year, we rehabbed around twenty five birds, and over the years, I must have rehabbed well in excess of three hundred birds.

Some of you here, are familiar faces from the IFF, and I hope to get to know the rest of you as well, and learn from you all and exchange notes with you about our common passion.

Happy hawking to all!

Salman

Tanner
07-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Welcome. I look forward to hearing about your falconry, which must be quite unique. I've noticed a greater than usual flux of new NAFEX members from IFF--what's going on over there? A mutiny perhaps?:D

borderhawk
07-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi Salman!
I remember you from when I was on Hawk-L. Looking forward to your stories! Post lots of pictures!

Tom Smith
07-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi Salman,

Glad to see you on here, I remember you from Hawk-L. I'm looking forward to your input here. You seemed like a great guy.

Tom Smith

Chris L.
07-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Salman

Welcome to NAFEX falconry forum. Good to have you here. I too remember you from hawk-l. Good to see you made it over to NAFEX.

looking forward to your posts

PeteJ
07-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Welcome aboard Salman.

Bryant Tarr
07-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi Salman!

Good to see you here.

tony123abc
07-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Welcome over. tony

GONEHAWKN
07-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Welcome Salman!!!

Ted Bell
07-27-2009, 09:10 PM
I too remember you from Hawk-L. About seven years ago you seemed to have disappeared off the list which led to some discussions about whether something had happened to you. Glad to hear you are ok. I remember pictures of a Turumti that you had posted. Were addicts for pictures around here- it would be great to see some of yours again.

Welcome,
Ted

BrianD
07-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Welcome. I dont remember you from Hawk-L. To be honest I never even heard of Hawk-L.

sharptail
07-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Welcome, Salman!

Turumti
07-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome guys, and gals too! I see there are many old faces from Hawk-1 List and the IFF, and some new ones too. I shall soon put some pics of my birds.

Regards,

Salman

zero
07-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Welcome! Seems like your well known here.

I am Pakistani too. My family is from Hangu (NWFP) but i also have some relatives in Islamabad.

Kaden Stenlund
07-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Welcome I think you will find this a much more organized and more helpful forum than the IFF.

RTJim
07-29-2009, 01:30 AM
(welc) I know you from Hawl-l..........let's have pics....always enjoyed your comments........jm

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/nafex_2007/20090727_00112.jpg

gengis
07-29-2009, 02:50 PM
hi salmon you will like this forum.everyones welcoming and these lads have a lot in common with you.they can trap falcons and hawks.pity the uk has stopped this ancient form of the art.regards bill

Lee Slikkers
07-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Welcome & Great to see you on here Salman. There are a ton of great falconers and a ton of great guys on here, you will enjoy the "feel" of the site.

Kaden Stenlund
07-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Welcome. I look forward to hearing about your falconry, which must be quite unique. I've noticed a greater than usual flux of new NAFEX members from IFF--what's going on over there? A mutiny perhaps?:D

I think it is disorganized and it is run poorly my impressions of it were very low... I join NAFEX and IFF and now I only use NAFEX it just works better for me because there are way more Americans here and it is more helpful...

cliffw
08-03-2009, 09:04 PM
(welc)Salman.

Hawkmom
08-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Welcome Salman. I also remember you from the Hawk-l and the IFF. I still watch and comment on the IFF. I feel that both forums are important. What I like about the IFF, is this: I have seen this happen several time on the IFF. A person from a remote part of the world, this concerned individual come across a raptor in their life. The raptor needs proper care and attention and the person needs guidance. There are no vets or resources, so these forums are a valuable tool to have the bird properly cared for with limited local resources. We are promoting falconry in the best light internationally this way. Especially, if the bird starts taking game, either as a falconry bird, or is hacked back to the wild. That is a very good feeling to me.

everetkhorton
08-04-2009, 09:22 PM
(welc)Salam:
How about some picture of how thing are done over there. Post often.

Turumti
08-07-2009, 05:41 AM
Guys,

I tried posting some photos, but it seems I am forbidden from doing so. :(

Salman

Kevin Massey
08-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Hi Everybody,

I am Salman Ali - a falconer from Pakistan. I have been a falconer since the past twenty one years. I mostly fly passage goshawks, sakers, redheaded merlins and shaheens, and I have also flown shikras, sparrowhawks, luggers, a couple of gyr-saker hybrids, a pere-saker and a passage gyrkin (imported from Russia ages ago).

Apart from flying hawks and falcons, I also rehabilitate quite a few raptors every year, with help from some of my apprentices. Last year, we rehabbed around twenty five birds, and over the years, I must have rehabbed well in excess of three hundred birds.

Some of you here, are familiar faces from the IFF, and I hope to get to know the rest of you as well, and learn from you all and exchange notes with you about our common passion.

Happy hawking to all!

Salman

Hi there Salman ... whats occurring:D

I think the influx is down to the hunting season is upon us and people just want somewhere to add falconry input without conflict...aggrivation and a hassle free life....thats without the non falconry disstractions that seem to swamp the place

Dirthawking
08-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Guys,

I tried posting some photos, but it seems I am forbidden from doing so. :(

Salman

You have to use something like photobucket. Then just post the image code in your post. There is a thread on how to do it. Oh wait....

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=1407

KidK
08-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Welcome to NAFEX Salman! (welc)

I have enjoyed your post on other lists and forums for years. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future!

Best Regards,

bluejack
08-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi Salman,

I'm glad to see here. I've always enjoyed your posts and pics from IFF. Maybe NAFEX will be another venue for us all learn from each other. I know that I have learned a lot from you. The pic posting thing is not as user friendly as IFF. I'm still working up the gumption to deal with photo bucket.

Turumti
08-13-2009, 06:34 AM
I have tried posting pics here on NAFEX using Photobucket, and then using the IMG code provided by Photobucket for each image, but it keeps saying that the tag is too long.

Can someone please guide me as to what I should do?

Thanks,

Salman

Kevin Massey
08-13-2009, 06:41 AM
I have tried posting pics here on NAFEX using Photobucket, and then using the IMG code provided by Photobucket for each image, but it keeps saying that the tag is too long.

Thanks,

Salman

Email them to me k_massey@sky.com and I'll try it from here

kev

PeteJ
08-13-2009, 06:54 AM
You can try pm me an example of the image code to see if it will work that way...and if it does then I'll re-post it to here. I'll be back on in about an hour.

PeteJ
08-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Here's a pic that Salman was trying to post. He'll tell you about it if it works for me.
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/turumti/BPBlock1a.jpg

Turumti
08-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Thanks, Pete. Here is the fully assembled block, with my intermewed black shaheen atop it.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/turumti/BPblock10a.jpg

PeteJ
08-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Nice set-up on that block, and equally nice looking Black Shaheen. Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris L.
08-17-2009, 08:45 AM

Thanks,

Salman

salman,

post your code here or send it to me in an email, I can help figure out what is happening.

Lee Slikkers
08-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Stunning Falcon Salman...

Turumti
08-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks Guys.

Bryant Tarr
08-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Wow! Both are beautiful!

Tanner
08-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Salman, what kind of falconry bird is the black shaheen in comparison to the red-nape or barbary (or peregrine for that matter) in your experience? Personality and flight style differences? The only accounts that I've read indicate that the black is on the moody side.

Turumti
08-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Yes black shaheens are a tad moodier. but they are very strongly built and i suspect they have a higher wing loading than the red ones. They have big feet for their size, and very powerful beaks too. The average black shaheen is perhaps not as aggressive or tenacious as a good red shaheen, but the good ones amongst them are really good. I have used mine mostly for duck, and have not found them wanting.

Turumti
08-18-2009, 04:03 PM
I think i might have some photos of my other black shaheens as well. I'll try to dig them out.

tampamatt
08-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Great! As someone said before, we love pictures around here! Great looking shaheen.

wyodjm
08-20-2009, 11:16 AM
I think i might have some photos of my other black shaheens as well. I'll try to dig them out.

Hi Salman. A belated welcome. Good to see you on here.