PDA

View Full Version : Immy Male Golden

raptrlvr
08-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Heading out to fly the gos this morning this guy was sitting on the fence post alongside the dirt road. I got a quick shot off and then he lifted off and I took the 2nd shot. The pictures are a little soft {focus} because I figured I would have to shoot fast with very little depth of field before the eagle lifted off.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/DSC_0012A-25.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/DSC_0023A-8.jpg

robhawkyyz
08-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Jim, even if you say they are soft focus pics, your pics are always awesome, and they look pretty damn in focus to me!! i look forward to pictures you post, you have that photographer gift thing going on...

raptrlvr
08-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks Rob. I shoot a lot of pictures every day and every once in a while I get a lucky one that turns out decent.

PeteJ
08-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Looking at your shots it is not an immature Golden. I'm guessing it's very near to full adult judging from the center tail feathers and also some of the inner most primaries look to be getting close to adult patterns on them. Perhaps Dan can tell more. Good shots though considering that they don't give you much time when you come on them at that close of range.

wyodjm
08-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Jim, even if you say they are soft focus pics, your pics are always awesome, and they look pretty damn in focus to me!! i look forward to pictures you post, you have that photographer gift thing going on...

Ditto. Wonderful pictures Jim.

Dan

wyodjm
08-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Looking at your shots it is not an immature Golden. I'm guessing it's very near to full adult judging from the center tail feathers and also some of the inner most primaries look to be getting close to adult patterns on them. Perhaps Dan can tell more. Good shots though considering that they don't give you much time when you come on them at that close of range.

I'd go along with that. The bird has at least three different colors of body feathers on it also, representing different molts from different years. I'd guess it's at least four. Scaled to the post and that blocky head, I'd say a male also.

I hate doing this, unless I have the bird in my hands! :)

In any event, wonderful pictures Jim. Just wonderful. You made my night.

Thanks,

Dan

Justin Monroe
08-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Love the pics Man. I wish I could find some good shots to frame and hang.
Those are killer though. Beautiful Golden too.

robhawkyyz
08-15-2009, 01:06 AM
I'd go along with that. The bird has at least three different colors of body feathers on it also, representing different molts from different years. I'd guess it's at least four. Scaled to the post and that blocky head, I'd say a male also.

I hate doing this, unless I have the bird in my hands! :)

In any event, wonderful pictures Jim. Just wonderful. You made my night.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan and Jim since you guys are falconry with eagles, what is the approximate age or oldest a golden could be taken, i read a white feather, unmolted i think, location i'm not sure but, is still considered immature and still could be about 5 years old, i'm just curious and when trapping what year immy eagle is most favorable???

raptrlvr
08-15-2009, 08:37 AM
The rules for trapping a golden are that if it has a white feather in its tail or body, it is allowed to be trapped. Dan, correct me if I'm wrong on that. The white feathers on my golden disappeared this last year and he is 6 years old. I was guessing this male was about 4 years old. No doubt it was a male because he was on the small size.

wyodjm
08-15-2009, 11:40 AM
The rules for trapping a golden are that if it has a white feather in its tail or body, it is allowed to be trapped. Dan, correct me if I'm wrong on that. The white feathers on my golden disappeared this last year and he is 6 years old. I was guessing this male was about 4 years old. No doubt it was a male because he was on the small size.

Hi Jim:

Yes, that's correct. The language regarding the take of golden eagles in depredation areas is in Wyoming's falconry regulations. Wyoming's language is more restictive than the federal langauage (50 CFR 22.24). I wrote the definitiion of an adult golden eagle that is in Wyoming's regulations. We thought it was simple enough and easy to comply with. I also wrote the last sentence in Section 5(f) (vii).

Dan and Jim since you guys are falconry with eagles, what is the approximate age or oldest a golden could be taken, i read a white feather, unmolted i think, location i'm not sure but, is still considered immature and still could be about 5 years old, i'm just curious and when trapping what year immy eagle is most favorable???

Hi Rob:

Yes, it is possible for a bird to have immature feathers on it and still be well over five years old, making it a haggard by age. There are a lot of variables that influence the molting patterns of golden eagles in the wild. They don't molt completely in the wild on a yearly basis. The shades of different browns on their body indicates this. I've trapped full blown haggards that had one remnant immature tail feather that the bird most likely fledged with. It doesn't really matter. Wyoming's regs are a simple guideline and if someone wants to trap a haggard with white still in its tail, that's cool. I'd say that eagle was having a rough go of it in the wild and that particular eagle wouldn't interest me as a keeper.

I prefer to keep immature eagles that are between three and four. Well on their way but not paired up and breeding. They know how to take care of themselves in the wild. They know how to soar and they know moves that would make a peregrine nervous.

Best,

Dan

Wyoming's regulations read as follows:

Section 3. Definitions. For the purpose of this regulation, definitions shall be as set forth in Title 23, Wyoming Statutes, and the Commission adopts the following definitions:

(a) “Adult golden eagle” means a golden eagle without any immature or sub-adult feathers in either the wings or the tail.

Section 5(f) (vii) Golden eagles may be taken by properly permitted master falconers within designated depredation areas anytime of the year in accordance with federal regulation 50 CFR 22.24, revised as of October 1, 2003, and which does not include any later amendments or editions of the incorporated matter. A copy of 50 CFR Part 22.24 can be viewed at any Department Regional Office or the Headquarters Office. Adult golden eagles shall not be taken, and, if captured, shall be immediately released on site.

robhawkyyz
08-15-2009, 05:00 PM
thanks for the info guys! and Dan you need to post some pictures too, even if it's a talon through your hand, you all are the "X" games of falconry with goldens.. at least on this site...

jkruer01
08-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the photos Jim! clapp

GOD I LOVE EAGLES!

Jeremy

oscarpack@yahoo.com
08-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Jim, what a great shot! You must have been very close. Would you email an attachment, I would like to use it on my desktop.
Thanks,
Oscar

keithtsoar
08-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Right click the pic you want then copy and paste it into your pic file. I have a bunch of photos from here as a slide show screen saver.

oscarpack@yahoo.com
08-16-2009, 05:26 AM
Thanks, that worked
Oscar

raptrlvr
08-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Oscar, if you need a bigger file, let me know. I reduced that photo quite a bit to put it on here.

tumble
08-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Nice shots Jim. I took a few of a young Bald last weekend while fishing on the Kennebec River here in Maine. Just a cheap camera of course but I thought I'd share them here to show how similar they can look to Goldens from a distance.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww217/MaineHawk/Ginsu/DSC03673.jpg

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww217/MaineHawk/Ginsu/DSC03674.jpg

tumble
08-16-2009, 10:42 AM
And a crappy flight shot for comparison.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww217/MaineHawk/Ginsu/DSC03677.jpg

wyodjm
08-17-2009, 02:20 PM
thanks for the info guys! and Dan you need to post some pictures too, even if it's a talon through your hand, you all are the "X" games of falconry with goldens.. at least on this site...

Hi Rob:

Here's a picture of my male passage golden that I'll be flying this season. I didn't get to fly him last season. I trapped him last year. We think he may have punctured his crop with a pheasant bone and it became septic. He almost died. Anyway, Pat Redig in MN and a good friend of mine who is a vet here walked me through a very difficult time. After he recovered, he went through a very heavy molt. An eclipse moult actually. Just one of those curve balls you never see coming. But he is as fit as a fiddle now. I'm really looking forward to flying him. I'm a little reluctant posting eagle pictures on here. I usually only leave them for a short while and then dump them.

I love discussing falconry topics, but have found a few people not very friendly on here. This isn't the most important thing in the world to me, and I'm not going to get heartburn over a few pinheads who I haven't even met.

The vast majority of people on here, however, are wonderful. We're all falconers. I've been loving the goshawk and merlin threads. I don't know anything about merlins.

We'll see if we can't post a few pictures of the eagle on game this season. Flying an eagle is not that big of a deal. No secrets, no magic formulas. They're wonderful birds. They're very gentle if you play by their rules. I think sometimes, however, the eagle maybe smarter than the person keeping it! :)

Good hawking,

Dan

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu312/djm708/IMG_4515.jpg
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu312/djm708/IMG_4529.jpg
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu312/djm708/IMG_4586.jpg

borderhawk
08-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Handsome bird! What kind of perch material is that on his block? He seems to have alot of gold on his nape, is that related to the big molt you mentioned?

Our eagle flier here in AZ brought his bird to the picnic on Saturday and held it during our comment period with AZGF reps. He says he just loves to watch them squirm. Wish I'd remembered the camera. Always love talking with him as he's always full of information, and alot of the things he says seem to be in accordance with the things you've said....but I'll stop there.

Again, gorgeous bird, and I happy for you that he pulled through.

tumble
08-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Dan I bet you've got a wicked left uppercut.

Todd Brown
08-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Notice the underside of the immy Bald Eagle,splotchie white almost through out the underside of the wings....along with the white band on it's tail the immy golden has a patch of white about the size of your hand in the middle of the wing. This may become less noicable as they get older?

New Years day 2008 my MRT came to the glove, folded up and laid down the length of the glove and looked to the sky.I looked up and saw an eagle way up but even at that distance I could see it was an eagle. I even saw a flash of golden as he turned...I thought I was seeing things.This had to be a bald eagle,I was less than a mile from Taylorsville Lake( a very large lake just southeast of Loiusville)...I put me binocs on him and could see these white patches under the wing better than the band at the base of his tail. Sibley's bird guide confermed what I saw. It's a very rare thing to see an eagle in this part of the state much less a golden.

wyodjm
08-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Handsome bird! What kind of perch material is that on his block? He seems to have alot of gold on his nape, is that related to the big molt you mentioned?

Hi Michelle:

The top of the block perch is coated with a material called Rhino Lining. It's a rubberized spray on truck bed lining material. I pounded a bunch of roofing nails on the surface before they put about three coats of Rhino spray on it. Also, eagles seem to enjoy sitting on a slightly domed surface. That information was personally handed down to me by F.W. Remmler. I practically grew up in Remmler's back yard in Canada. The slightly domed surface on an eagle block was confirmed, years later, by Jack Stoddart. It's amazing how good information comes around and stays around.

I made that block about 13-15 years ago. The swivel on the welded ring at the base of the block is an actual swivel that Remmler used to tie his eagles up, nearly 60 years ago. A bit of history there.

We're all living extensions of tradition. If you were talking to J. Ostwinkle earlier, say hi to him for me.

Best,

Dan

wyodjm
08-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Notice the underside of the immy Bald Eagle,splotchie white almost through out the underside of the wings....along with the white band on it's tail the immy golden has a patch of white about the size of your hand in the middle of the wing. This may become less noicable as they get older?

New Years day 2008 my MRT came to the glove, folded up and laid down the length of the glove and looked to the sky.I looked up and saw an eagle way up but even at that distance I could see it was an eagle. I even saw a flash of golden as he turned...I thought I was seeing things.This had to be a bald eagle,I was less than a mile from Taylorsville Lake( a very large lake just southeast of Loiusville)...I put me binocs on him and could see these white patches under the wing better than the band at the base of his tail. Sibley's bird guide confermed what I saw. It's a very rare thing to see an eagle in this part of the state much less a golden.

Pretty cool Todd. Your redtail must be very bonded with you.

Dan

borderhawk
08-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi Michelle:

The top of the block perch is coated with a material called Rhino Lining. It's a rubberized spray on truck bed lining material. I pounded a bunch of roofing nails on the surface before they put about three coats of Rhino spray on it. Also, eagles seem to enjoy sitting on a slightly domed surface. That information was personally handed down to me by F.W. Remmler. I practically grew up in Remmler's back yard in Canada. The slightly domed surface on an eagle block was confirmed, years later, by Jack Stoddart. It's amazing how good information comes around and stays around.

Ya know, I've actually thought of trying that spray/brush on bedliner you can get at the hardware stores, but dismissed it for some reason or another. I may have to revisit the concept...

I made that block about 13-15 years ago. The swivel on the welded ring at the base of the block is an actual swivel that Remmler used to tie his eagles up, nearly 60 years ago. A bit of history there.

We're all living extensions of tradition.

Too cool!

If you were talking to J. Ostwinkle earlier, say hi to him for me.

Best,

Dan

Yup! Will do!

wyodjm
08-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Ya know, I've actually thought of trying that spray/brush on bedliner you can get at the hardware stores, but dismissed it for some reason or another. I may have to revisit the concept...

The Rhino lining is cooked and sprayed on very hot. It's almost like tar. It hardens when it hits the air and cools. I had it professionally applied at a Rhino shop.

I'm not sure the stuff you're talking about that comes out of a spary can is similar. Be careful.

ATB,

Dan

Todd Brown
08-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Dan

I had called him down to tid bit....he didn't just come down on his own.

I've seen this same behaviour when he was on a kill and a turkey vulture or a hawk flies over.....he mantles when it's just me.

oscarpack@yahoo.com
08-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Oscar, if you need a bigger file, let me know. I reduced that photo quite a bit to put it on here.
Thanks Jim, I would like to have that, my email is oscarpack@yahoo.com
thanks again,
Oscar

borderhawk
08-17-2009, 11:13 PM
The Rhino lining is cooked and sprayed on very hot. It's almost like tar. It hardens when it hits the air and cools.

I did not know that. I thought it was just sprayed on professionally, didn't know that's why it was so hard. As I think about, it think one of the reasons I didn't look further into the store bought stuff is that it did seem kinda rubbery and easy to pick at.

thanx

jkruer01
08-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Dan,

That is a great looking bird. I would love to one day be able to fly a Golden....whether that actually ever happens or not is another story.

What type of leash are you using? Is that paracord?

Jeremy

Chris L.
08-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Dan and Paul,
I just deleted the posts because the thread Dan started was great. No need to split it as you did just what I could do.

Thanks for doing that Dan

here is the link if others want to follow the conditioning of an eagle thread

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=5682

Chris L.
08-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Dan,
Great looking eagle pictures. Thank you for taking the time to post them

eagles have always been a fascination with me.

wyodjm
08-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Dan and Paul,
I just deleted the posts because the thread Dan started was great. No need to split it as you did just what I could do.

Thanks for doing that Dan

here is the link if others want to follow the conditioning of an eagle thread

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=5682

No Problem Chris. Actually, it would be nice to discuss the conditioning of any falconry bird, not just eagles. It wasn't intended just for eagles.

Best,

Dan

Bacon
08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I did not know that. I thought it was just sprayed on professionally, didn't know that's why it was so hard. As I think about, it think one of the reasons I didn't look further into the store bought stuff is that it did seem kinda rubbery and easy to pick at.

You DO NOT want to use the parts store stuff. There is a world of difference between that and the actual Rhino-Liner. The parts store stuff is really runny and will not go on very thick, then it starts to separate in big chunks. It doesn't even work well as a truck bed liner. Just FYI.

Saluqi
08-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Here are a couple of crappy shots of a female(?) golden eagle that I saw this morning. Two or three years old? She had lots of white on her.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/Gos_Frieda/DSC_0165.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/Gos_Frieda/DSC_0171.jpg

NMHighPlains
08-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Here's one my daughter took a few weeks ago just after a rainstorm. She took 1st place in the county fair with this one, too (matted and framed).

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh62/NM_HighPlains/Ranch%202009/DSC03550.jpg

oscarpack@yahoo.com
08-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks Jim, it is a beautiful shot, and doesn't look too soft to me
Oscar