PDA

View Full Version : Accipiter nisus for 2009

Shortwingn
08-20-2009, 05:45 PM
After a long wait my friend and I picked up our first Eurasian Sparrowhawks (Accipiter nisus.) Wow, what a day! They look good and are perfect imprints.
When I first heard I could get a Eurasian Sparrowhawk sometime last year the rusty wheels started turning. I never flew one but always heard they were faster and more ferocious than the N.A. coopers. I had to find out. So now I sit in my living room with a N.A. coopers hawk on his perch and a 35 day old Eurasian Sparrowhawk on my knee.
Bring it on!

BrianD
08-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Im very interested in hearing about the comparison. I have heard they are more calm than our Coops but never heard anyone say they are faster and more ferocious.

hcf
08-20-2009, 06:18 PM
hi,
you'll love it
andy

FredFogg
08-20-2009, 06:57 PM
After a long wait my friend and I picked up our first Eurasian Sparrowhawks (Accipiter nisus.) Wow, what a day! They look good and are perfect imprints.
When I first heard I could get a Eurasian Sparrowhawk sometime last year the rusty wheels started turning. I never flew one but always heard they were faster and more ferocious than the N.A. coopers. I had to find out. So now I sit in my living room with a N.A. coopers hawk on his perch and a 35 day old Eurasian Sparrowhawk on my knee.
Bring it on!

I would really, really love to fly one! After flying a coops for 3 seasons and a gos last year and this year, a sparrowhawk is high on my list. If you don't mind, where did you get it? I know Lance is breeding them and I think a few others, but the price tags I heard is way above my wallet. Hopefully, we will get more folks breeding them and their price will come down. I know I would breed them if I could get my hands on a pair!
Looking forward to this thread!

Shortwingn
08-20-2009, 10:35 PM
The bird came from Lance Christensen.

FredFogg
08-20-2009, 10:46 PM
The bird came from Lance Christensen.

Cool! I am flying a male finnish gos from Lance! I hope you update this thread on how you are doing with it, I really would like to see how they compare to our coops.

kimmerar
08-21-2009, 07:50 AM
clappclapp Pictures please!!!

BestBeagler
08-21-2009, 12:04 PM
they were faster and more ferocious than the N.A. coopers.

Heresy! What are you a Brit? It’s commonly known that Brits want our coopers and not the other way around, so I will take that spar off your hands and you just keep that coopers you will be happier in the long run. Isaac

frootdog
08-21-2009, 01:33 PM
What are you a Brit?

Gaz shall you take this or should I?

ukroper
08-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Let me ..explain..for the un-initiated
English...From ENGLAND
Welsh...from WALES (i.e...Irish that couldn't swim)
Scottish...from SCOTLAND....

BRITISH =The above...together... when some stupid munter decides to have a go at this iddy biddy lickleplace..(especially little jumped up austrian painter and decorators..boxingg);):D

ukroper
08-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Heresy! What are you a Brit? It’s commonly known that Brits want our coopers and not the other way around, so I will take that spar off your hands and you just keep that coopers you will be happier in the long run. Isaac

Hey..i didnt realize that the usa had a 'talking b#llocks' for america team:eek:

BestBeagler
08-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Yeah, well, Brits are all the same. I think the definition you missed was

"Brit"
-AKA a people who are a bit wierd, love an old lady queen, live on a smallish misty island, and talk funny-

No, your all alright, just different :)

Hope you don't mind some friendly banter and whats with "bollocks" and "blimey daft sod" and such weird speak.

Want a cup'a with a little bicky ;)

By the way, those Weetabix are the best with Golden Lyles syrup. Isaac

ukroper
08-22-2009, 05:35 PM
''it aint nuffin' but a 'g' thang..baabbyyyy..'' ;);):d:d

ukroper
08-22-2009, 05:43 PM
p.s.
Is it a Spar (somebody should give Krys the ''game-whore'' one,seriously;)North Beech Street,..sooo much fun..),
or a Musket you have/are getting?

musketdaft
08-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Enjoy your spar but please don’t mess around with these hawks at high weights they will pack off and leave you in an instant. Alf.

Shortwingn
08-24-2009, 09:44 AM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/P1010020.jpg

Shortwingn
08-25-2009, 12:26 AM
How many of them have you flown, Musket? Just hopeful to hear from someone that has flown one.

musketdaft
08-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Flown then now for more years than I care to mention.
Had one female hunting 6 seasons before loss.
I have flown a few females and muskets. Alf.

How many of them have you flown, Musket? Just hopeful to hear from someone that has flown one.

musketdaft
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
I don’t want your coopers.;) Alf.

PeteJ
08-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Is that pic from just a few days ago? If so they are realllllllllly late. Not sure I would want to be starting a bird this late due to it being so young. Most of the young prey available is no longer that young. Best of luck with him. Thanks for sharing the pic.

BestBeagler
08-25-2009, 04:42 PM

How about the choice of getting a passage coopers? I know, low blow right :) Isaac

BestBeagler
08-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Is that pic from just a few days ago? If so they are realllllllllly late. Not sure I would want to be starting a bird this late due to it being so young. Most of the young prey available is no longer that young. Best of luck with him. Thanks for sharing the pic.

I think the sparrows are still cranking them out here in MI. Isaac

Shortwingn
08-25-2009, 09:39 PM
A few pics.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/P8240026-1.jpg

A little lure work.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/P8240035.jpg

And then her bag.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/P8250040.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/P8250049.jpg

Shortwingn
08-26-2009, 11:25 PM
A few more pics.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/P8260008.jpg

In the hood.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/P8260003.jpg

One of the best hoods I have seen in 20 years.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/P8260009.jpg

Shortwingn
08-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Spar at 38 days.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/P8270011.jpg

Shortwingn
08-31-2009, 09:42 PM
She is growing up.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/Sparandstarling.jpg

Shortwingn
09-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Well she hard penned sometime in the last three days.(9/4/09 to9/7/09) Starting to cut her weight as of yesterday.(9/7/09) I have noticed hooding this bird is easy. She offers very little to no fight. She seems to hold no grudge. It would seem as she seems to even perfer to wear her hood.
She is not too keen to jump to the lure. I tried the fist and she comes right away. I hope this is'nt a mistake & a weight issue but I am going with calling her to the fist.
Its funny as she seemed to be starting out like a sharpie or mellow coops but has changed. Almost seems ac/dc but in a good way. Have to see what next week will bring?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/sparhardpenn.jpg

Big Foot
09-08-2009, 11:50 PM

A long shot, but are you the Alf that now has a black spar/gos hybrid?

Shortwingn
09-09-2009, 07:50 AM
No.

musketdaft
09-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I would never stick my spar on a perch like that mate!;) Alf.

A long shot, but are you the Alf that now has a black spar/gos hybrid?

PeteJ
09-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I would never stick my spar on a perch like that mate!;) Alf.
I'm confused now. I think Bigfoot was asking if Alf (Musketdaft) is the same Alf that has the BS/Gos hybrid.

musketdaft
09-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Pete I thought he was asking if Erik and myself were one in the same person?

I'm confused now. I think Bigfoot was asking if Alf (Musketdaft) is the same Alf that has the BS/Gos hybrid.

Shortwingn
09-09-2009, 09:38 PM
What's wrong with the perch? I figured he thought we were one in the same too.

PeteJ
09-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Pete I thought he was asking if Erik and myself were one in the same person?
Here's what he asked "A long shot, but are you 'the Alf' that now has a black spar/gos hybrid?" So I figured he was asking 'Alf' if he was the one that had the black spar/gos...how many Alf's have a Black Spar/Gos anyway?LOL

musketdaft
09-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Erik Just not for me mate. Alf.

What's wrong with the perch? I figured he thought we were one in the same too.

musketdaft
09-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Pete as a direct question I would have said yes!
As it was involved in another thread regarding a spar I took it that he thought I was hunting this female spar? Does this make sense? Alf.

Here's what he asked "A long shot, but are you 'the Alf' that now has a black spar/gos hybrid?" So I figured he was asking 'Alf' if he was the one that had the black spar/gos...how many Alf's have a Black Spar/Gos anyway?LOL

musketdaft
09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Erik how’s your female spar coming along? Alf.

Shortwingn
09-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Well, the fist might not have been such a good choice. She started to get vocal. So I have been calling her to the lure again. She became silent for the most part in a few days of it. I should have known. I also found if I call her to the lure there is no mantling. If I call her up to the fist after she finishes her tid bit on the lure there is no mantling and she is silent. They have a weird scream to them. Kind of sounds like a halloween toy.
I still haven't hit a good weight but am very close. Should be a few days before we start hunting.

PeteJ
09-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Pete as a direct question I would have said yes!
As it was involved in another thread regarding a spar I took it that he thought I was hunting this female spar? Does this make sense? Alf.
Not a problem mate. He was seeking information is all. Now he knows that you are one and the same (THE Alf, with THE BS/Gos).

musketdaft
09-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Erik I have flown loads of imprint female spars the only advise I will give you at this time is reduce to a response weight where you cant walk away 5 ft from this hawk before this hawk is on you and then reduce again! Alf.

Well, the fist might not have been such a good choice. She started to get vocal. So I have been calling her to the lure again. She became silent for the most part in a few days of it. I should have known. I also found if I call her to the lure there is no mantling. If I call her up to the fist after she finishes her tid bit on the lure there is no mantling and she is silent. They have a weird scream to them. Kind of sounds like a halloween toy.
I still haven't hit a good weight but am very close. Should be a few days before we start hunting.

musketdaft
09-16-2009, 04:29 PM
P.S. this hawk will stop screaming within a few weeks if and when you make the kills? Alf.

Shortwingn
09-16-2009, 08:58 PM
I have been doing daily bags with her since she could kill them. It keeps her very mellow. The screaming only came around after calling her to the fist. Looked good at first but I kind of felt that was coming and it did! I wasn't too worried about it as I kind of like a imprint that makes a little noise(very little). Keeps me from pulling out the telematry every 10 mins and it can be fixed early on with no problems.
I do have to admit when I first saw the size of this bird I thought all those stories I heard were false. I have been astonished with the way she man handles Columbidae. She is very impressive!

musketdaft
09-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Never been a big fan of baggies all you are doing is teaching your hawk to kill easy game when it comes to the crunch and they have to hunt the real stuff they mentally think there lacking. Just my own thoughts? Alf.

I have been doing daily bags with her since she could kill them. It keeps her very mellow. The screaming only came around after calling her to the fist. Looked good at first but I kind of felt that was coming and it did! I wasn't too worried about it as I kind of like a imprint that makes a little noise(very little). Keeps me from pulling out the telematry every 10 mins and it can be fixed early on with no problems.
I do have to admit when I first saw the size of this bird I thought all those stories I heard were false. I have been astonished with the way she man handles Columbidae. She is very impressive!

Shortwingn
09-18-2009, 06:33 AM
After the first one or two I dont make them easy at all.

musketdaft
09-19-2009, 04:28 AM
Erik is there any particular reason you’re giving baggies at all? Alf.

After the first one or two I dont make them easy at all.

Shortwingn
09-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Bags help with training. Its hard to do anti ~ carrying training on a first kill without a bag or teach a bird that your there to help. How do you teach a bird to take a sparrow out of the air and not carry? I guess in the first few kills I dont want a bird to have a bad experince. I want a bird to think it can do it right from the begining.

musketdaft
09-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Erik is your hawk hunting wild game yet? Alf.

Bags help with training. Its hard to do anti ~ carrying training on a first kill without a bag or teach a bird that your there to help. How do you teach a bird to take a sparrow out of the air and not carry? I guess in the first few kills I dont want a bird to have a bad experince. I want a bird to think it can do it right from the begining.

Shortwingn
09-23-2009, 09:01 AM
She got her first wild kill on the creance. It was funny. She is going to fly free today or tomarrow.

frootdog
09-23-2009, 10:27 AM
She got her first wild kill on the creance. It was funny. She is going to fly free today or tomarrow.

You can't just leave it at that with no story.......................

or pics..............................

musketdaft
09-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Erik not being funny mate far from it but a spar at the age of your hawk should have chalked up a good few wild kills by now.
If you need ante carrying training this could have been implement before hard pinning, that or start your hawk off on game it can’t carry until it trusts you that’s what I normally do.
It’s not a race mate but you’re dragging your heels which could lead to problems with these spars. Alf.

Shortwingn
10-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Had a few hours to myself today, 1 pigeon, 1dove, 2 sparrows, and a starling.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/PA170018.jpg

tumble
10-17-2009, 07:08 PM
That hawk's appearance leaves no doubt as to his intentions.

Nice job. thumbsupp

Shortwingn
10-17-2009, 11:17 PM
It is a her, little tiny things! She finnaly found out she cant get geese and is now working on sea gulls. Funny little girl. She catches pigeons on a regular basis, doves no problem,(more tails than bodies) starlings are almost too easy.
Still she is no Coops or Sharipe. Altogether a diffrent animal. Much slower but will chase until all get out. Its not uncommen to pick her up 1/4 mile away after a slip. Most of the time on a kill.(still wondering if it was the same slip to begin with) She has been the easist accipiter I have ever trained. No aggression and forgiving. Hell, half the time I just grab her and throw her. After that she will just come back like nothing ever happened. LOL Funny bird!

Shortwingn
10-17-2009, 11:21 PM
BTW, the pic was taken a few hours after she bounced head long off a Golds gym mirrored glass window.(I did think she was dead) You can still see the hair doo and blood.

tumble
10-18-2009, 07:02 AM
Sorry Erik, for suggesting she has boy-ish looks. :D

musketdaft
10-18-2009, 01:19 PM
What sort of weight are you hunting this female? Alf

musketdaft
10-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Yep looking at her right eye could be the photo but she looks concussed to me
Should you really went on with the hunt if you thought your hawk nearly died?
Just a thought? Alf.

BTW, the pic was taken a few hours after she bounced head long off a Golds gym mirrored glass window.(I did think she was dead) You can still see the hair doo and blood.

Shortwingn
10-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Concussed, and a vet as well? Do you Dx from photos that are reduced? Not too sharp are you there mate? The blood was from a scrape, that you can see in the pic.(look hard now) Oh and it was the left eye aera that got hit. Were you thinking a left to right contracoo type injury?
If you give up and freak out that easy it explains alot! I got you now.

musketdaft
10-19-2009, 01:13 PM
YOUR QUOTE NOT MINE?

Well I am pleased you have got me now!
Look if your hawk hits a plate glass window and you think its dead do you continue the hunt?
Nothing more to say on the matter hope your spar lives a long and happy life? Alf.

Concussed, and a vet as well? Do you Dx from photos that are reduced? Not too sharp are you there mate? The blood was from a scrape, that you can see in the pic.(look hard now) Oh and it was the left eye aera that got hit. Were you thinking a left to right contracoo type injury?
If you give up and freak out that easy it explains alot! I got you now.

PeteJ
12-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Is this the same bird that is now being offered on raptorsnest? How come? I thought it sounded like it was doing good?

Ken S.
12-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah I saw it on there today too... it got me curious.

There's no price listed... what do you think it should sell for?

PeteJ
12-06-2009, 02:06 PM
I guess it depends on what's up with it now. There wasn't much talk about it since it hit the window. So at this point who knows how messed up it it might be? Maybe it's just fine, but I thought it all odd...no more updates and now it's for sale?!

musketdaft
12-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Pete it’s a shame it’s up for sale in the right hands these hawks are deadly. Alf.

I guess it depends on what's up with it now. There wasn't much talk about it since it hit the window. So at this point who knows how messed up it it might be? Maybe it's just fine, but I thought it all odd...no more updates and now it's for sale?!

GyrXPeals
12-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Pete it’s a shame it’s up for sale in the right hands these hawks are deadly. Alf.

Alf, you of all people know how much I want a spar, but I think I'd have to take a pass on this girl.
I hope all is going well, great job on the hybrid!!!
Best regards,
Jeff

PeteJ
12-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I can only imagine how much fun a Spar would be on quail in this part of the U.S., not to mention White-winged and Collared Doves. Ah well, we can't get around to flying them all now can we?

Shortwingn
12-13-2009, 03:11 AM
I decided to sell her as well as some of my other birds. A few other birds have become avalible to me that I would enjoy a bit more. The bird catches just about every day. She takes much larger prey than I expected. A quail field for this bird would be tits! Wish I had quail, huns and chuckers up here, she would do well.
I guess the internet(even falconry bords) has some undesirable people on it. I chose not to associate with them. Hence, I have not been posting very much. Kind of a shame. Lots of good photos and stories.

FredFogg
12-17-2009, 12:39 AM
I would fly the crap out of a spar and would love to have one, but the prices being asked for one are just ridiculous. If I had a pair on my breeding permit, I would produce them and sell them for a couple hundred bucks a piece just so folks could fly them over here. Oh well, the chances of me getting two breeding spars are about as much as me winning the lottery tonight! LOL

By the way Erik, how much are you asking for her? I might be interested!